• Published 15th Sep 2015
  • 785 Views, 12 Comments

Equestria's Got Talent - BudCharles



There's a new competition in Equestria to find the most talented unicorns, and Trixie is very eager to join! The only problem - every unicorn has to have a partner.

  • ...
3
 12
 785

Take Two

SMASH!

"What the hay?" Twilight shrieked, leaping out of her bed, taking the blankets with her, before flying head-first into the ceiling. "OW!"

On the ground outside, Gold Star stared up at the shattered window with a horrified expression. Twilight spent about half a minute wrestling her way out of the blankets before finally making it to what was left of the window.

"What's going on out there?" Twilight called out, still half-asleep.

"The great and powerful Trixie wanted to test your window strength", came a reply from her student, who could barely keep herself from breaking out into laughter, "and your windows were not satisfactory!"

"Euugh" Twilight groaned, "SPIKE!"

She then turned her attention back to Trixie.

"What are you actually doing"?

"Practicing!" Trixie called back.

"Maybe you should teach Gold Star the spell first before trying to use it!"

"Oh right! Trixie forgot about that!"

-✩-

"Okay Gold Star, do you know the categories of spells?", Trixie began, trying so hard to act like a professional teacher that it looked hilarious. She had the blackboard, glasses and everything.

"Of course!", the colt began excitedly, "there's movement spells and energy spells and - ooh and there's time spells, a really rare class of spells -"

"Yes, good", an impatient Trixie interrupted, "well this one is a movement spell. Categ-"

"Which category-", Gold Star began, before realising his teacher was already about to say that. "Sorry", he whimpered.

"Ahem, as the wise and knowledgeable Trixie was saying, this is a Category 3 spell. Now the features of Category 3 include-"

Gold Star raised his hoof and jumped up and down.

"-yes Gold Star?" Trixie asked, rolling her eyes.

"They don't have to be spoken aloud, just thought of, they require an intermediate level of skill and they take a very short amount of time to be cast."

"Uh, yes actually" Trixie replied, surprised by how much her student knew, "so, if you know that, then this should be easy, the spell is regardless of weight, momentum create".

Trixie smiled, feeling rather proud of her student.

"Well that's the thing, I know all about spells, but I'm not so good at actually doing them", Gold Star nervously replied.

"Don't be silly, just make sure you regulate the amount of power, and you'll be able to cast it like a professional!"

"A-alright, I'm just not so sure-"

"Nonsense, try it out on that bookshelf over there, make it glide across the room."

Shakily, Gold Star took a step back, closed his eyes and lit up his horn.

A loud rumble could be heard followed by a crash - Gold Star opened his eyes to see the bookshelf broken into several pieces against the wall, and a trail of smoke behind it.

"Oops", Gold Star whimpered.

Trixie was rendered speechless as she stared wide-eyed at what used to be a bookshelf. Spike proudly marched down the stairs with a newly emptied dustpan and brush, before seeing the remains of the bookshelf and fainting.

-✩-

"Okay, so the problem is regulating power", Trixie said, more to herself than her student, as they both walked into Trixie's favourite coffee shop.

"Ooh," Gold Star squeaked, "they have strawberry milkshakes!"

Trixie handed over the bits for a milkshake and pointed to the sign, but stopped short of smiling at Gold Star. She may be 'good' now, but she was most certainly not some fluffy emotional pony like Twilight Sparkle.

"Thankyou!" Gold Star squeaked again, tightly hugging one of Trixie's front legs.

Trixie smiled.

-✩-

Almost a week and no progress - Gold Star knew everything about every spell Trixie could think up, yet he couldn't use any of them. His fireworks destroyed Sweet Apple Acres' barn (for the 7th time in as many days), his water cloning spell nearly turned a bucket into a weapon of mass destruction, and his levitation spell - well let's just say the Wonderbolts were glad they didn't have a show the next day.

"Trixie is ready to give up!" the show pony snapped, storming into Twilight's bedroom. "Nothing is working! Trixie knew this was a bad idea!"

"Calm down", Twilight Sparkle smiled, placing her half-read book on the top of the already tremendous pile she had been amassing during her last few lunch breaks. "What's the problem?"

"Gold Star can't do anything, he may be kind of cute but that is no excuse, anypony who works with Trixie must be excellent!"

"Well from what I've been hearing, he's been having trouble regulating his power, is that right?"

Trixie nodded, unconvinced that Twilight would make any progress.

"Well the ability to regulate power can take months to learn, and the only solution is practice. But, don't you think there's a third option?"

"Trixie doesn't have time for this, the next round is tomorrow!"

Twilight smiled calmly and continued. Trixie needed to figure this out for herself, that was the only fair thing to do, even if she whined about it. "Imagine you had to perform in a big magic show, and your horn had suddenly doubled in power the day before - what would you do?"

"Well that's easy, Trixie would simply change the performance to show off her new ability - oh." Trixie mentally kicked herself for not realising this earlier. "Thankyou Twilight!"

"No problem", Twilight Sparkle chucked, magically closing the door behind Trixie and going back to her book. "Now, time to find out who really stole the Lost Sword of Muledor!" She added in her most adorkable excited nerd voice.

-✩-

"Wow!" The crowd gasped as Gold Star launched Trixie high into the air above Canterlot. "Ooh!" they continued, mesmerised, as Trixie sent a spiral of beautiful rainbow fireworks in all directions. The two of them then staged a fake magic battle as Trixie fell, launching huge beams of water and fire at each other - the two beams finally collided and a massive explosion of steam swept through the air, slowly cooling and descending around the stage. Finally, Trixie summoned a magic parachute, and Gold Star lit it up with a beam of colour, which flashed between all the colours of the rainbow as Trixie spiralled around the crowd and landed back on the stage next to Gold Star and the two of them bowed.

The crowd cheered wildly and gave a standing ovation, while the judges watched on, awestruck.

"What happened?", the first judge finally commented after at least a full minute of cheering and hoof-clapping. "That was incredible!"

The crowd roared again in delight.

"You know what", the second judge added, "I don't know what you two did since the last performance, but it's paid off. You're a real chance of winning this competition!"

More applause.

"I don't think I even need to say anything," the third finished, "we're putting you directly through to the finals, that was amazing!"

The crowd went absolutely crazy. Trixie began to cry with happiness, despite trying her best to hide it. She hugged Gold Star tighter than he'd ever been hugged in his life.

Right up the front of the crowd, Twilight Sparkle leaped completely out of her seat and flew into the air cheering, before remembering she was meant to be acting like a princess and bashfully gliding back down to the ground.

In the back of the crowd, Gold Star's old 'friends' looked on spitefully.

"You know what this means right? There's no more places left. We're out of the competition because of that little dweeb!"

"Well, let's make him regret it."

-✩-

Author's Note:

Okay, so I know I said 3 parts, but I really can't fit this into 3 parts, so 4 parts it is. I'm not sure what I think about this chapter, it feels like it flows better than the other ones, but I'm not sure. I guess you can tell me in the comments :twilightsmile:

#shamelesscommentfarming