• Published 14th Sep 2015
  • 1,233 Views, 28 Comments

The Love Triangle Theorem - Arboreal Blue Leaf



When Sunset Shimmer asked me to come to Ponyville for a few days, I wasn't expected to receive my human counterpart. And, above all, to be involved in a love triangle.

  • ...
6
 28
 1,233

The Love Triangle Conjecture

Author's Note:

Hello everypony,

Love is a quite interesting feeling to write, it has as many stories as there are people out there. Given the same characters, the same basics rules, we can create so much. That's one of the many things which is making story writting so beautiful. If you, dear reader, have ever wanted to write a story but never found the time or the courage to do so, why not giving it a shot? I'll assure you you won't regret it!

As usual, I want to apologize for the grammar and writing mistakes. Do enjoy your reading, and again thank you very much for your time!

I fell on my bed with a smile and a deep sigh of relief. I was happier than a filly that just got her cutie mark. I had managed to reunite Princess Celestia and Sunset Shimmer today!

"I'm glad it's done," Spike muttered as he followed me in my bedroom. "I never had a day as stressful as this one."

"I am so tired! I could fall asleep anywhere!" I stated happily. "Thanks you so much, Spike. I couldn't have done it without you."

"Always glad to help. Just try to be calm next time. I don't think I have ever seen you like this before," The dragon pointed out as he was climbing on my bed.

"You know me, I love when things go as planned," I stood up on my bed. "But I reckon I can be a little bit nervous sometimes."

"Nervous, uh?"" Spike raised his eyebrow with a sarcastic voice. "Yeah. that's the word."

"Come on, it wasn't that bad. I know a little grumpy dragon who is tired and need his good night of rest," I teased him with a grin.

"Have you seen how Sunset Shimmer was acting when Princess Celestia was around?" Spike replied and crossed his arms. "It was so cheesy I could have made quesadillas out of it."

"Very bad choice of words," I grumbled at the mention of the dreadful food. "Sunset was just overwhelmed by emotion, so was Princess Celestia actually.”

I got up from the bed against my body's will and trotted towards my desk where countless letters of Princess Celestia were piled up meticulously. They were all the letters I had exchanged with the Princess in order to get this day prepared. She had more than once confessed she was looking forward to meet Sunset again but that she was a little anxious too. I could perfectly understand it, as I had been exchanging with Sunset Shimmer at the same time. The unicorn wasn't just nervous, she was almost scared. This morning, half an hour before Princess Celestia's arrival, I had found her in her bedroom shaking all over. Behind me, Spike let a loud yawn and stretched out.

"Yeah, yeah. I know they haven't seen each other in years. But still, it can not be that bad. They aren't lovers or something like that."

"Do you love me Spike?" I asked cryptically as I took a book from one of my bookshelves.

"Uh... Of course I do?" the dragon answered in a surprised voice.

"And do you love Princess Celestia?"

"Yes, but was it the point?"

"Do I need to ask about Rarity?" I added with small smirk.

"Very funny Twilight. Come on, spit it up!"

"I have just asked you about three types of love. You see, I know you love me but that's not the same as how you love Princess Celestia, Rarity or even comic books," I opened the book in front of him, revealing photos of him when he was younger. "We are like siblings, we have a lot of memories in common," I pointed to a few photos with my hooves. "Every experience we shared have deepened the bounds between us. Now if I was to leave forever you would miss me, won't you?"

"Of course I would," he admitted sheepishly.

"Now, Princess Celestia and Sunset Shimmer were like a family. Princess Celestia took her as her personal student when she was just a filly like me. Sunset was an orphan, so Princess Celestia become like a mother for her," I summed up as I turned several pages on which were photos of Spike and me in the Canterlot castle years ago. "Until, well you know the banishment and all."

"I think I understand where you are going, Twi," Spike said slowly.

He took the album and begun to look at different photos. He stayed silent for a few seconds, turning the pages periodically. I felt he had really understood what I explained to him, he wasn't a kid anymore. I felt nostalgic about the past; Spike had always been at my side since I was just a filly. He grew up so very fast. Back when we arrived in Ponyville, he was still afraid of sleeping alone. Now, he was often the hero who was saving the day and bringing me answers and support when I needed it the most. A smile forced its way to my muzzle; soon I would have to have "The Talk" with him. He finally broke up the silence,


"Can I ask you a question before we go to sleep?"

"All the questions you want, Spike," I smiled warmly. "Questions are the key of knowledge. I'll always answer to any question; you don't have to ask for permission."

"What's the difference between a "love" and a "family-friendly" love?" Spike asked bashfully. "I mean, I think I know it but I've never thought of it like this."

I cringed inwardly, was it already the time of "The Talk"? I couldn't blame any pony but me for bringing up this topic. I sighed but I decided to answer with a diluted explanation,

"What are you feeling when you see a stallion talking to Rarity?" I asked, choosing to use first-hoof experiences.

"I'm jealous," he answered promptly.

"That's a good start I suppose. Ponies tend to develop loving bounds when they are attracted to each other because of different things. Those attractive forces can be among others physical ones, spiritual ones, ideological ones," I enumerated, choosing every words with precaution. "Now, love between family members is often a bound created by proximity and time. The "love-love" is usually much quicker to develop and depends of a lot of factors. Those are changing from a pony to another."

"What's the point of jealousy then?"

"I... Uhm..." I wasn't sure of how to answer. Spike's questions were nothing if not genuine and I took a great deal to answer to all of them. "Let's consider it as a protective mechanism in this case. Being jealous of somepony when it comes to love usually means that you are caring for this pony."

"Yeah, I guess that makes sense. But again, that just falls into the basic idea. I can be jealous if somepony uses my things too."

How could I fully explain a feeling as complicated as jealousy to Spike? Even with a fully grown-up pony it would be a difficult task. Everypony had a vague outline of was it was, but it was a real philosophical conundrum to define it. I sighed and got up.

"I don't know how to put this actually without having to make it difficult," I admitted. I stopped for few seconds and rubbed my chin. "When it comes to love, jealousy can make you do crazy things."

"Like how you were acting during the preparation of Shining Armor's wedding?" Spike asked. His face showed that he knew he was going on a landmine. "If you hadn’t been right about the changeling invasion, I mean."

"... Yes." I glared at him. "A good and well-chosen example, Spike. I was being protective with Shining Armor though. I’m not the only one being protective of my family. Besides..."

I stopped abruptly. At this instant, I understood. It was crystal clear. How could I have been so oblivious to this? All the evidences pointed to it. It was like receiving a cold rain on my whole body.

Twilight was in love with Sunset Shimmer. And she thought I was going to steal Sunset from her.

"Uhm... Twilight? Equestria to Twilight, anypony home?"

I blinked as Spike was moving his hand in front of me. I felt dizzy.

"I.... I don't feel well."

"What's wrong, Twi?" Spike asked in a worried voice.

"Go to bed, Spike. I'll explain it later. I... I need to take a shower."

Cold. The water was so cold and falling heavily on my head. I stayed under the cold water of the shower for several minutes, just staring to the crystal walls. I was thoughtless. I was just looking at the water drops running on the walls, falling on the ground and being sucked up in the canalization. I sighed, turned the hot water and sat down.

That was unexpected, and I wasn't sure of how to react. That was the first time I had to deal with this situation, and hopefully the last. What was supposed to be simple holidays with Sunset had first into holidays with my alter ego, and had eventually turned into a love story in which I was the source of Twilight's jealousy.

I took some time to reconsider everything that happened since she and Sunset had come. I had been such a fool to not have understood it earlier. The way Twilight had reacted when she saw me for the first time, the bold request to stay in Equestria and even more the discussion we had in the sauna. Everything she was doing was fueled by her jealousy. I couldn't help to feel sorry for her in a way. After all, it would be painful to lose your special somepony to someone who's like you.

In that case by someone who is even sharing your very name.

But she shouldn’t be afraid, I hadn't any feelings for Sunset and I wasn't even a filly fooler. Sure, she was really nice and caring, she had her charm and a beautiful smile, but I considered her like a friend and that was all. I felt my cheeks turning red at this thought. Could I actually be interested in her? A long time ago, I felt a little something for a mare but it turned out to nothing but pure friendship. I was getting along well with Sunset and had already strong bonds.

I shook my head and blinked. What was I thinking? How could I think about this? This was plainly ridiculous, she was heterosexual like me and surely not attracted to human beings. Sunset was my friend, and I was hers. There was nothing going on.

I froze again, feeling this time as cold as ice despite the rain of hot water falling on my head. It couldn't be true.

Was Sunset in love with me?

I stayed sat for minutes, again bashed completely by the revelation. Again, it was completely crazy yet plausible. That would actually explain why she was acting strangely when I was around, complimenting me whenever she had an opportunity, why she had been reluctant to have Twilight staying with us. But why would it be that way? I was just her friend, nothing else. That was very flattering and I could feel my cheeks burning.

But that also meant I was in the middle of a love triangle if it was true. Such a conjecture had to be well founded of course and I had collected more evidence and proof to support my hypotheses.

I had just conjectured the Love Triangle Theorem.