• Published 14th Sep 2015
  • 1,233 Views, 28 Comments

The Love Triangle Theorem - Arboreal Blue Leaf



When Sunset Shimmer asked me to come to Ponyville for a few days, I wasn't expected to receive my human counterpart. And, above all, to be involved in a love triangle.

  • ...
6
 28
 1,233

Coffee, yawns and thoughts

Author's Note:

Hello every pony!

As you might have already seen, this chapter is longer than the usual 1.3 k words of my chapters. In fact, it was planned to be two distinct parts of the story, the second chapter was supposed to be published on another story called “The Love Triangle Properties” – as every theorem creates properties – under the name “5.1 – Domain of Definitions”.

This “extended story” was supposed to be the opportunity to make some character and world building. But since I really want to show the differences between the two Twilights – the human one is a more Cartesian spirit and colder than the pony one – and some interesting ideas came as I was writing, I have decided to fuse them together and publish it in one chapter. I hope the result won’t be just a huge “wall of words”, being a pain to read and all.

As usual, I want to apologize for the grammar and writing mistakes. As many editing I am doing, this is quite hard to spot all the mistakes in a foreign language!

Do enjoy your reading, and again thank you very much for your time!

Note: This story is under editing. Since my editor had to stop, I am currently in search of a new person to help me. I really hope that the mistakes won't bother you too much in your reading. I apologize if so. Anyway, have fun!

I had been looking into my cup of coffee for a long time when the voice of Spike took me out of my thoughts.

"Are you alright, Twilight?"

I slowly raised my head while yawning. I tried to smile to him, but exhaustion prohibited me to do so. His face was full of concern as he sat next to me. I had woken up hours before sunrise and tried to fall asleep without success. I took a sip of coffee before answering:

"I am alright, just kind of exhausted."

"Tell me about it." He said as he stretched out. "I didn't sleep well too."

"Did Princess Celestia answer?"

"Nope. If she had, I would have brought it to you."

I sighed as I put my head on the crystal table. What was I supposed to do? It was a delicate case I had to solve. I perfectly know that the decision I would made would have repercussions. If I said yes to my alter-ego, the magical balance of our world might react strangely. I could not foresee it, as it wasn't a very well-known field of magic. On the other hoof, if I was to say no, I would certainly damage Sunset and Twilight's friendship. Even more, I would perfectly understand that losing an occasion to study sciences in another dimension, which was the opportunity of a lifetime, would make my human counterpart really disappointed. I knew it might be just be a pretext to stay in Equestria, but it was maybe a genuine request. Plus, I would fail my mission as the Princess of Friendship if I damaged their relationship. But the well-being of equestrian people was far more important. Nonetheless, was one entity enough to break down the entire magical balance? I groaned loudly to let the frustration go away.

"What in the wide world of Equestria am I supposed to do, Spike? How am I supposed to take the right decision? I don't want to be a bad friend nor do I want to destruct the magical balance!"

"Make sense." He answered as he ate a blue gem. "Where has Twilight slept? I didn't see her this morning."

"I gave her the guest room near the library of the third floor."

"So basically, she just went through the portal, yelled at you and Sunset then demanded a room and locked herself up without any questions or discussion. That is a way to make your entrance."

"She talked to Sunset before going to bed, but not to me. It is not as if I wanted to talk to her though, considering how rude she had been."

"That's why I heard two ponies shouting even after you went to bed. I did recognize the voice of Sunset, but I wasn't sure if it was you or our guest"

"Yes... I am feeling a little bit dizzy when I consider that there is a "double-me" in the room. It reminds me of the changelings..." I slowly sighed. "Anyway, I don't know how to tackle this problem..."

"I was thinking about this story of magical balance last night. Sunset Shimmer was born in our world, so it means she has also a human counterpart, right?"

"I suppose, yes..."

"So, if I am right, there has been one entity from our world on the other side of the portal for almost ten years."

"And the magic balance didn't collapse!" I almost yelled with a growing smile. "It does mean the balance can stay stable even with an extra entity on one side! When Sunset has returned and my alter ego came here, this extra entity has just changed of side! It means there must be no risk if she stays here! Spike, you are a genius!"

"Ponies often tell me so." He replied with fake modesty.

I chuckled as I finished the cup of coffee. I supposed this revelation would settle my decision. I wasn't exactly happy to accommodate my counterpart. Nonetheless, if I was to refuse, Sunset would have to deal with the consequences when she would go back in her world. I didn't want to cause trouble between them.

It wasn't the only thing that occupied my mind during the night. The behavior of Sunset Shimmer on the balcony had left me quite a strange feeling. She had acted so strangely, and it was as if she was hiding something. Furthermore, the way my human counterpart had made her entrance was really strange. If she wanted to be sure to have the right to stay, she certainly wouldn't have belittled me so much. Besides, it wasn't the behavior you would have if you had no hate for someone. There was something odd about Sunset's behavior and the way the human Twilight had made her entrance.

"Good morning Princess Twilight." A familiar voice warmly said. "Hello Spike, have you already taken your breakfast?"

"It's just Twilight for you, Sunset." I weakly replied before yawning. "And no, I was waiting for you and... Twilight." It was so weird to talk about some pony sharing your name.

"You look very tired."

"I haven't slept last night, I was over thinking about the decision I had to take. Do you want something to drink?"

"I'll wait for Twilight too. What have you decided?" She asked as she sat next to me.

"I pondered as much pros and cons as possible. I think she can stay with us, if Princess Celestia accepts her request of course."

"Aren't you afraid of breaking the magical balance?" Sunset said too quickly.

"As Spike pointed out, you have been living for years in this foreign world, without any repercussions on equestrian magic. I suppose that if you and Twilight are in Equestria and not in the other world, we can say that the weight has just been changed of side."

"I get your point... But are you sure it is a good idea? Some ponies might be puzzled by a unicorn looking like you."

"She is a unicorn, not an alicorn. Besides, I always can cast a spell on her to change her coat color; we can dye it or something else. And, as rude as she had been yesterday, I am sure she is not mean."

"I really don't get why she came here. Even more, I don't get why she was so mean to you. Twilight is usually very calm, even shy with people she is meeting for the first time." Sunset said as she leaned her hear on her forehooves. "This was the first time I saw her so... angry."

"She must have taken your leaving very badly. I'm pretty sure she had to build a device to open the portal."

"Well, both of you are geniuses." The orange unicorn said with a small blush. "It must have been easy for her... Anyway, I didn't think she would be so hurt."

"Trust is one of the bases of every friendship. A lie can be devastating, even the smallest. But you did have you thought was right Sunset." I added with a smile.

"I just hope she will not bear a grudge against me. I don't want to lose a friend like her..."

A crash suddenly echoed in the crystal castle. It was followed by a loud grunt. Spike giggled as the purple unicorn made her way into the kitchen, rubbing her forehead with her hoof.

"Good morning everybody." She said with a small voice. "I think I will have trouble to get used to hooves."

"Are you alright?" I asked.

"It is okay, this body is tougher than I thought." She explained as she looked at her legs. "But I am really feeling weird. Can I take a seat?"

"Of course" I replied as got some eggs and flour from a cupboard. "Are waffles okay for breakfast?"

The two guests nodded in agreement. I placed three plates and glasses on the table. Spike offered to make orange juice for everyone. Sunset and Twilight were looking at each other. Finally, the orange unicorn asked:

"So... How was your night?"

"I can't tell I slept very well, but the bed was comfortable, though. How about you?"

"I guess it wasn't a good night for any one of us."

That was all. For the next few minutes, Twilight was looking around her without saying anything. Sunset was looking at me and at Spike. As I was preparing the waffles and Spike pressing oranges, I turned around and decided to break the deadly hush by declaring with a smile:

"Twilight, I think you are waiting for two things. First, I'd be happy to answer to any of your questions. If we are alike, you must have a lot of questions. Also, I have been thinking about your request all night." She was listening to me carefully. "You might stay in Equestria for a week as you requested, if Princess Celestia and Princess Luna accept of course."

"Is that true?" She asked with a mesmerized look.

"Come on, would I lie to me?" I jokingly answered.

**********

"... And there are three types of ponies: earth ponies, unicorns and pegasi. Each type of pony has its own attributes, as Sunset explained you earlier," I explained as I was finishing my glass of juice. "As a unicorn, you have access to a very wide range of spells, such as telekinesis or teleportation. Nonetheless, no one is exactly equal when it comes to magic. Your ability to perform spells is linked to your cutie mark, even if you can surpass this natural limit with practice."

"What is a cutie mark? Is it that strange thing?" My alter ego asked as she was looking as her flank. "It reminds me of the hairclip I usually have."

"It is indeed. Every pony has a very unique cutie mark. It is linked to our destiny. It might sound crazy, but this cutie mark plays a very important role in our society. Even if the science and the magic behind it aren't very well understood, we are aware of what they mean and how they influence our lives."

"This is... very weird actually. How can it influence so much your life? I mean, I don't believe in all those tales of destiny. They are not scientifically possible."

"Sciences and magic are very close here in Equestria." Sunset chuckled. "There are a lot of differences between Earth and this world."

"Like the sun and the moon are being controlled by two living gods I presume?" Twilight asked with a smirk. "I don't believe it is possible. It is just a total nonsense. If it was true, the very basic laws of physics would be false. And, as far as I know, this dimension has solar systems sharing a lot of similarities with the ones of our world. Thus, Kepler and Newton Laws must exist."

"I don't know what those laws are, but I'm pretty sure we have equivalents." I smiled, entertained by the discussion. "But the sun and the moon are moved by mighty beings, who are Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. All the stars are being controlled by Princess Luna actually."

"Likely story."

"Don't believe me. But you will be able to see it with your own eyes at the end of the week. In five days, the Summer Sun Celebration is happening in Canterlot. I am partially in charge for the organization this year." I proudly announced. "Everything is booked, planned and ready. I will just have to check it the day before the festivities!"

"More like triple check it, Twilight." Added Spike with a small yet satisfied smile.

"Prevention is better than cure..." I grumbled.

"I'm sure it will be perfect Twilight. You are the best planner I know." The orange unicorn assured with a genuine grin. "It is very kind of you to accommodate us even if you are very busy."

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Twilight giving me a sort of jealous glare. She bit her lower lip before looking away. I felt uncomfortable at the instant, wondering why she gave me this kind of look. She asked with an annoyed voice before I had the chance to answer to Sunset:

"So... There are a lot of extraordinary things in this world. You said that unicorns can use magic spells. And I saw you using some kind of telekinesis. Is that some sort of advanced spell? Or could I perform it?"

I smiled at the question. If there was something I could teach as easily as friendship, it was surely magic. I put in front of her a piece of bread and pointed an empty plate near Sunset. I couldn't help chuckling at the inquisitive look the purple unicorn gave me.

"Just try to make it fly. And try to put it near Sunset."

"And how am I supposed to do it? Do I summon some devilish forces to accomplish my wills?" She asked deadpan.

"Focusing your spirit will be enough," Replied the orange unicorn with a small grin. "It is that simple. Magic is like an extension of your body. You can perform basics spells without a lot of practice. I'm sure you can do it, you have proven you are gifted more than once!"

Twilight had a weak smile and a very small blush as well. After a few seconds, she looked at the piece of bread, took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Soon, a lavender aura appeared around the slice of bread, and it began to take off. It stayed still for a small moment before beginning its journey to the plate. Despite the very promising start, the telekinesis abruptly stopped as Twilight opened her eyes. She released a deep, frustrated moan.

"Ugh... It is far more difficult than I thought! You are making it looking so easy!"

"I'd say it was very good for a first try. I have been using it for years, so it is almost natural to me." I reassured her.

"You know, when I was a filly, it took me almost two years to master the basis of telekinesis."

"How was it?" Sunset asked with a soft smile. "How do you feel?"

"It feels incredible actually... I mean, when you are using magic, are you always feeling... this special?" The purple unicorn asked with a curious look.

"Maybe not as special as you have, but yes. It is something I really miss. This is not about the feeling of power you can have when you are using magic, but more the practical aspect." The orange mare said while looking at my other guest. "Magic has a very broad range of application. Surely, it makes your life easier sometimes, but it can be used to help other. For example, magic is used in equestrian medicine: it is called medimagic."

"It sounds like you can do everything with magic..."

"Actually, you can." I said as I got up and took the plates to the sink. "If a spell doesn't exist, you can create it with some work. As every science, magic can be subdivided in field: telekinesis, metamorphosis, communication, engineering..."

Sunset quickly got up and took the remaining plates from the tables and insisted to be the one making the washing up, "because it was the least she could do". I explained to her with a soft smile.

"This is very nice of you, but you two should go and get ready. My friends will be here in one hour or so. Twilight, I want you to meet them too, as we are waiting for Princess Celestia's answer. I'll show you the castle after that."

The two unicorns nodded before leaving the room. Sunset gave me a warm glance before crossing the door; Twilight gave me a neutral, yet cold look. After she left the room, Spike crossed his arms and shook his head.

"Man, I don't know what her problem is, but she doesn't like you."

"I don't understand, I haven't been rude to her... Have I?"

"Nope, I'm pretty sure you are doing your best to welcome her."

"All those cold, jealous glances... Every time Sunset talked to me, I had one of them."

"Maybe you should ask her directly why she is acting like this."

"Maybe... But I'm afraid she will just not answer..."

"There is only one way to find it out, Twilight."