• Published 14th Sep 2015
  • 1,233 Views, 28 Comments

The Love Triangle Theorem - Arboreal Blue Leaf



When Sunset Shimmer asked me to come to Ponyville for a few days, I wasn't expected to receive my human counterpart. And, above all, to be involved in a love triangle.

  • ...
6
 28
 1,233

Letters

Author's Note:

Howdy everpy pony! It has been a while!

I can't even remember the last time I published a chapter for this story... At least three months passed since the last time I guess. Well, sorry for the long, long time!

I don't want to bother you with the details and I think you have waited enough for this chapter. As an excuse, I'll publish the seventh chapter at the same time.

As always, thanks for your time and do enjoy your reading! I apologize for the mistakes, there's surely a lot of them but I can't take down all of them.

"I don't get why you were so nervous, Darling. She is an absolutely lovely mare." Rarity declared with a smile as she put the tea pot on the tray. "Maybe she is a little bit frank from time to time, but she seems to know how to behave like a lady."

“I know Rarity… But have you seen how she was looking at me?” I sighed as I opened the door of the kitchen before heading to the living room. “I just don’t get why she hates me…”

“She doesn’t hate you. Maybe she is just… How could I say it…? Maybe she is just intrigued by you. I suppose you are feeling the same way, aren’t you?”

“I can’t say I am completely comfortable with it either…”

The white unicorn stopped in the middle of the corridor, right in front of the door of the portal’s room. She looked at my face with an expert eye and asked eventually.

“You haven’t slept a lot last night, have you?”

“Is it that obvious? I’ve tried my best to hide the rings under my eyes and…”

“Darling, I think you might just be very tired. We all know that ponies can have strange behaviors or thoughts without enough sleep, even you. If there is somepony who can understand what it is to be under pressure, it is me.” She explained with a soft voice. “You are very busy with the preparation of the Summer Sun Celebration, and you were waiting for these few days of rest with Sunset to relax before the festivities. This impromptu guest is maybe the straw that broke your back. You need some rest, Twilight. Oh! I know! Fluttershy and I are going to the spa this afternoon, you could come with us!”

“I'd love to Rarity, but I can’t let Sunset and Twilight alone…”

“Who said they can’t come with us? I am sorry Darling, but I must insist. I invite you and your guests. This is settled, we will meet at the spa at three o’clock!”

I was about to argue when a dim purple light from the library caught my eye. I looked at the source to see Sunset’s diary vibrating and glowing. I immediately stepped inside the room and led the book towards me with my magic. Rarity followed me and put the tray on a table. As I opened the journal to the last written pages, she asked me what was happening, knowing it was the diary I was using to talk with my friends of Canterlot High. New lines were appearing on the paper as I was reading them:

Dear Princess Twilight,

This is Applejack from Canterlot High, and I really need to know if my friend Twilight is with you. We are really worried, she left yesterday and we haven’t a clue of where she is. Her parents told us she had left for a week to join Sunset in the countryside. She is not answering to our texts and our calls. Please, tell me she is with you and she is alright.

Applejack

“It seems that Twilight didn't tell her friends she was coming here. It makes sense in a way; they would have tried to hold her back.” I took a quill and asked to Rarity. "Could you bring the tea and the cupcakes? I'll be there in a minute."

Rarity nodded and headed to the living room, taking the plates with her telekinesis. I smiled at her. I was very lucky to have friends like her, always willing to help and take care of me. I quickly dipped the quill and in the inkpot before writing the answer:

Hey Applejack. Do not worry, she is with me. She came yesterday evening - quite in an unexpected way. I will accommodate her for the upcoming week if she is allowed to stay. She is alright and she is talking with your pony alter-ego at the very moment.

Twilight

I was about to put the book down and leave the room when an answer begun to appear on the pages:

I am glad to read that. This is not the first time she does something silly because of Sunset. Thank you so much for your quick reaction. By the way, the girls say hello to you. We all hope you are doing well. Good luck with Twilight and Sunset.

Applejack

What did she mean by this is not the first time Twilight had done something silly because of Sunset? I closed the book, even if I was curious about Applejack's words. I had no right to interfere with Sunset and Twilight's relationship, it wasn't my business. I put the quill and the diary back on the table and returned to the living room.

As I leaved the room, I crashed into somepony and felt on the floor. I shook my head in order to get my mind straight and looked at Sunset, who was giving me a surprised look and quickly extended her hoof in my direction.

"Celestia! I am so sorry Twilight! Are you alright? I didn't mean to..."

"It's okay Sunset, I wasn't really paying attention either." I reassured her with a soft smile as I took her hoof to get up. "Why are you not with the others?"

"Rarity told us you had a message from Canterlot High. Applejack said she would use the diary only if there was an emergency. Did something happened?"

"No, she just asked if Twilight was with us. It seems they didn't know about her... visit."

She nodded silently as I begun to walk, but she quickly grabbed my shoulder with her hoof.

"You know, if you want, Twilight and I can return home. This week has not to be painful for you." I noticed a very short, yet audible tremor in her voice.

"Not a chance. You have been asking the right to come back in Equestria for months. I survived to monsters and near apocalypses events; I think I can do it with you and a curious pony. "I added with a small smile.

"Of course you can... But as I said earlier, Twilight can sometimes be really... troublesome to say the least, I know something about that."

"What do you mean?"

"Let's say that... This is not the first time Twilight pops in unannounced." She sighed quickly. "She has more than once overreacted when I was around. I really don't get why."

I say nothing; Sunset had just confirmed what Applejack wrote in the journal. There was something fishy going on, I was sure of that, but I couldn't name it for the moment. I had to ask to my human alter ego as quickly as I could - and I was hoping she would answer straightforwardly. The orange unicorn gave me a curious look; I realized I had been staring at her for seconds. I gave a quick, embarrassed laugh before clearing my throat.

"Sorry, I was thinking. You know, sometimes I get caught in my thoughts and I forget about the world around me. We should return with the others."

"Alicorns first." Sunset chuckled slightly.

With a small grin, I bowed mockingly in front of her and thanked her for her "very kind gesture". Of course, she rolled her eyes and smiled. We went down the corridors and returned to the living room where we found my friends talking with Twilight who seemed to discuss without any difficulty. I supposed she found some similarities between my pony friends and my human ones. I got closer to them to join the discussion but I got intercepted by Spike.

"Twilight, Princess Celestia answered like a minute ago. I think you'd want to read the letter."

He gave me the said letter and I quickly unroll the parchment. The Solar Princess was explaining in it that a meeting with representatives from Saddle Arabia and the Griffin Kingdom had hold her for most of the night and day, thus not letting her answering to my letter. She also confirmed her visit the next day at three o'clock at the Castle. A second letter was attached to the parchment; it was a letter about Twilight and her unexpected crossing of the portal. Princess Celestia allowed her to stay for a week as she asked, but highly recommended to do something about her appearance. It was unnecessary to create confusion because of two ponies that were too alike.

I rolled up the two parchments; they were solving one of the problems about my human counterpart. I could surely find a spell or two to change her appearance, but I was skeptical about casting magic on her and then let her cross the portal again. Who knew what effects it would have? I had already brought magic in the other world the first time I went there, and I didn't want to send more of it over there. I had thought about this problem after Sunset Summer had raised the issue during the breakfast. I concluded the best idea - or the most practical - was to use the Poison Joke alibi: a friend of mine would have fallen in a field of those flowers and would have taken my appearance. Was it unlikely? Maybe, but it was the least dangerous for us on a long term basis. Dying a mane and a tail was doable, but dying the entire coat of an adult pony was another story, maybe as difficult as casting that said spell. This kind of beauty process needed to be performing by a very talented pony in order to get a realistic result. I didn't think any of my friends could perform it, Rarity included.

For now, I had to announce Princess Celestia's answer to my freshly arrived human alter ego.