• Published 13th Sep 2015
  • 3,880 Views, 158 Comments

Atonement for a Wayward Dragoon - Belligerent Bindlestiff



Kain's trial at Mt. Ordeals will lead him down a particular path towards redemtion. Final Fantasy IV Crossover

  • ...
2
 158
 3,880

Endowed and Exalted

Endowed, Exalted

With time before the ceremony, Kain decided to speak with Luna. The two of them gathered in an empty, open hall.

“Thou certainly has a different air about thyself today, do we sense a change in disposition?” Luna asked.

“Somehow, living in Ponyville has done something for me.” Kain said. “I could have very well spent my entire life continuing service among the ranks of your Lunar Guard and been no closer to finding an answer to my problems.”

“And what answers hast thou found?” asked Luna.

“As strange as it sounds, the comraderie that the ponies of Ponyville have taught me a lesson I thought I’d learned already.” Kain said.

“We are glad to know that thine services as a Lunar Guard have proven to be beneficial to our subjects as well as thyself.” Luna said. “While it seems that thy presence in this realm has given you answers to your problems, and more, we must ask thee an important question. Art thou planning to return home? While we cannot dissuade thee from returning to thine place of origin, we would be most gracious to have thee continue thy service in Equestria until we can discover a means to send thee home.”

“Given my current circumstances, I would not be opposed to continuing to serve Your Majesty.” Kain said.

“That is most reassuring.” Luna said. “Thou hast proven to be a great ally. Now come, we are needed in the main hall.”

The mane six, Kain, and the princesses gathered in the great hall for the ceremony. Rarity, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie were asked to step forward to receive their rewards for their acts of bravery.

“Ladies, you have demonstrated a great amount of courage confronting the changeling queen.” Celestia said. “Once again we have you here to honor your contributions to the safety of Equestria and, in this instance, Twilight Sparkle.”

“That is why it our greatest pleasure to present ye with these gifts.” Princess Luna said. “Bring forth the artifacts.” A group of guardsponies made their way to the gathering, each holding a different items. As the first stallion approached the sun princess with the item in drapes, Celestia called for one of the mares.

“Rainbow Dash, time and again you charge into battle to help your friends. You are indeed an apt bearer for the Element of Loyalty. Today, I would like to bestow upon you one of Canterlot’s greatest treasures ever forged. “ She then used her magic to unveil an ornate blade resting upon a cushion that the guardspony was holding.

Celestia levitated the blade off the cushion between her and Rainbow Dash. As the sword moved through the air, the light glinted across from the elaborate etchings that spanned up and down the straight blade in a floral design. The way the sword glistened drew attention to the piece as a whole. Its hilt and guard were a golden bronze color with a ruby set into the center of the guard.

“This piece belonged to one our great Knights of Equestria. It is called Canterburn.” The sun princess said. “Originally the blade of an earth pony, Valiant. The knight who wielded Canterburn was good friends with one of the earliest leaders of the wonderbolts, Swift Steel. She saw him as one of the greatest warriors to take to the skies. Canterburn was light enough to be wielded even by a flying pegasus, as such she had intended to give the blade as a gift after one of his training exercises, but an accident befell him and she abandoned the sword in her grief.”

“You, Rainbow Dash, carry that same spirt that the Wonderbolt captain did. I would like to see this blade go to a pony and see it used to defend Equestria instead of sitting in an armory for more ages. Please take it and do Valiant Heart and Swift Steel honor by accepting it.” Celestia said.

Celestia then levitated Canterburn into its equally ornate, green sheathe and placed in into Rainbow Dash’s awaiting hoof.

“Miss Rarity if thou would be so kind as to join us.” Princess Luna said.

“Yes, your majesty.” The unicorn replied as she approached.

“Even though thou aren’t the strongest, or the fastest, thou hast proven most crucial in recent events and in previous ones by maintaining hoe and we see it fitting to present this relic that once belonged to a soul who was just as generous as thou.”

“A wisepony from Saddle Arabia visited Canterlot centuries ago and spoke with us about a great deal of philosophical ideas. His name was Whinwu. Before departing for his homeland, he gave us a staff to remember him by.” Luna said and then unveiled a majestic staff.

It was lustrously polished silver with a ‘U’ shape at one end that held a deep turquoise colored gem.

“He asked us to keep it until we saw fit an appropriate time to give it to a pony that was steadfast in the face of difficult odds.” Luna said. “Rarity, thou hast displayed such bravery for not being a powerful mage or warrior, but standing up to Chrysalis is not something neither we nor our sister take lightly. Truly, thou must have great conviction for thine actions. Whinwu had told us a tale from before our time about heroes, despite overwhelming odds, never losing heart in the face of adversity. They weren’t the strongest, but they stood up for what they believed to be right. Just as thou did Rarity.”

Rarity looked towards Kain’s direction and then back at Luna. “Indeed your majesty.” She said. “Those that I care about were in trouble.”

“Then we believe that our decision was aptly founded.” Luna said as she levitated the staff into Rarity’s magical grasp.

“Thank you your majesty.” Rarity said.

“Please come forth Ms. Pie.” Celestia said. The earth pony trotted forward wearing a stoic face that quickly changed to elation. “Pinkie Pie, you always manage to surprise us every day with hour humor and antics, however it should not come as a surprise as to the lengths you would go to protect your friends.”

Celestia unveiled a small pouch resting atop a cushion that the soldier held.

“While it is neither weapon or grand armament, this item is no less extraordinary. A wizard by the name of Studius Prominence had been researching ways to combat food shortages. He experimented with trying to replicate dough so that in the event farmers’ crops didn’t yield enough, Equestria would still have a steady supply of food. Unfortunately things quickly got out of hoof and the dough began to replicate t an alarming rate; it was to the point where we were worried that there’d be dough pouring out of every door and window of Canterlot.”

“Luckily, that very same wizard had a bag that could hold an infinite amount of items and he was able to channel all of the dough into the bag.” Celestia said and then looked at the pouch with a smile. “Its now affectionately referred to as the Bag of Everdough. Once you tear a piece of dough from the incise the piece you have stops growing. Unfortunately, the dough just doesn’t seem to have any flavor to it, and most bakers refuse to use it. But I’d like to give the everdough to you Pinkie Pie. I’m certain a pony of your talents might appreciate the challenge of using the everdough.”

The pink mare held the bag in her hooves and gave a grin. “Wow thanks Princess Celestia! I can’t wait to use this stuff!”

////

After the ceremony, the group convened for a dinner to celebrate the heroics of the mares. Pinkie pie was already playing around with the everdough at her seat while the others partook in the meal. Rarity had sat with Kain, and despite her best efforts, was finding it difficult to hide her emotions. She wasn’t quite ready to tell the others about her romantic feelings, and even though Rainbow Dash reacted the most awkwardly, this wasn’t the time or place for such an announcement.

For Kain, this sort of gathering wasn’t new. Though he’d never been a guest of honor in the same way he was just a participant when the knights of Baron were celebrated with his guard and the dragoons, those times were not unlike these. Those who were celebrated usually did the most talking. Usually it was Cecil and the other dark knights that were the focus. Even the mages paid attention to the going on of Baron’s knights.

One particular white mage came to mind.

The thought might have bothered Kain before, but now things were different, he was with someone who he didn’t have to hide his feeling from. And as he watched Rarity speak with the others at the dinner, there was a feeling foreign to the dragoon, tranquility. It was the notion that he and this mare understood each other, each their own story of being lulled in by darkness and overcoming it.

Then Kain looked at Luna. She’d been in the same predicament that the two of them had been in, but she wasn’t so lucky. If it weren’t for the fact she was apparently immortal, she’d have died and only been known for her treachery. Treachery that she is still fighting to make amends for even today. Kain made it a point to sometime ask the princess how she dealt with it every day.

After about an hour it was time for the group to depart from Canterlot. Twilight was still checking with inter royal affairs at the castle. Fluttershy and Applejack decided to explore more of the city while the rest of the group began to return to the airship.

They were nearing the bridge that connected the city and the outskirts of Canterlot when Rainbow Dash said, “Shoot! I forgot to check in with the weather team before leaving!”

“Not to mention you haven’t returned the clothes and equipment they gave you today.” Rarity said, pointing at the satchel Rainbow Dash was carrying. “Actually, let me join you darling. There’s no telling how long Twilight will be busy with the other Princesses and I might as well give my two bits on those uniforms they’re using.”

“Say Kain.” Rainbow Dash said just before leaving. “Can you watch my sword while Rarity and I go back to the weather team office? I don’t need to go in there with this.”

“Of course.” Kain replied, taking Canterburn from the pegasus and hooking it to his right side.

“Guess that just leaves the two of us.” Pinkie Pie said, and the two of them made their way down the bridge.

“You know Kain, I saw the way you looked at Rarity.” Pinkie said. “I’m glad you finally told how you feel.”

“Did she tell about us then?” Kain asked.

“Nope!” Pinkie said. “I could see it all over your faces! Rarity constantly glancing your way and you not looking nearly as grumpy as you usually do.”

Kain shifted uncomfortably and sighed. Then the two continued down the bridge until about halfway when PinkiePie’s tail twitched, much to the concern of Kain.

“What was that?” Kain asked.

“That was my Pinkie sense.” The mare replied. Whenever I get a twitchy tail, that means to watch the sky.” Pinkie kept her attention upwards while hugging the railing of the bridge.

“Well, there is snow falling Pinkie.” Kain said.

“Nope, twitchy tail means that something big is going to come down.” Pinkie said.

There was an audible crack in the sky. Kain looked up, puzzled as to the fact there wasn’t any lightning before the thunder. Then a pegasus came into view, descending rapidly towards the bridge.

“Is he falling down?” Pinkie asked.

Kain examined the plummeting pony. He recognized the form that the pegasus took. He wasn’t falling, he was dive bombing. By the looks of things, that pegasus was going to crash in their general area, the dragoon dove towards Pinkie Pie to shield her from the strike. Except, instead of feeling the impact of a great crash, Kain heard the sound of armored hooves land on the path.

Kain turned away from pinkie and beheld a strange pony wearing all sorts of exotic armor. It seemed to resemble the culture of Fabul, with its monk like atmosphere,, but was metallic and appeared more like the type of armor the desert Damcyan army might have used.

“What is the meaning of this?” Kain asked, suspecting that this encounter was more than mere coincidence.

The grey pony clad in red armor looked up at Kain and spoke. “That is a very interesting sword you have there.”

~Belligerent Bindlestiff

Author's Note:

Musical Inspiration/Accompaniment: “Troian Beauty” Final Fantasy IV DS OST.