• Published 13th Sep 2015
  • 3,868 Views, 158 Comments

Atonement for a Wayward Dragoon - Belligerent Bindlestiff



Kain's trial at Mt. Ordeals will lead him down a particular path towards redemtion. Final Fantasy IV Crossover

  • ...
2
 158
 3,868

A Demonstration

A Demonstration

Kain was glad he didn’t have his weapon when the group of ponies greeted him, lest he have struck an offensive stance and most likely intimidated all the attendees. Instead he found himself reeled back in literal surprise.

The pink pony from the previous day popped up from the crowd. “Hiya Kain! Welcome to your ‘Welcome to Ponyville’ party!” exclaimed Pinkie.

“I did tell you she’d do it.” Rarity said from her place in the crowd.

“Oh, I’m sorry I didn’t tell you about this Kain. Pinkie made me promise not to tell you.” said Fluttershy.

“Its quite alright.” Kain replied.

“Okay! Let’s get this party started!” exclaimed Pinkie. A unicorn with tinted lenses magically activated a box she had, and music began to play from it. It was far different from the music that played at taverns and celebrations at Baron, for one thing it made idle conversation seem difficult.

The dragoon was led to a table full of refreshments by Pinkie, the sheer amount of food reminded him that he hadn’t had much to eat all day save for breakfast. “You never did tell me what you liked most, so I just made a little of everything.” said Pinkie. “Oh, and one more thing, this is your party silly, try to relax. I’ll check your hat!”

And before Kain could even understand what she meant, Pinkie Pie had somehow already removed his helmet and had literally bounced off.

Applejack and Fluttershy approached the table. “Ah know you were supposed to keep him busy sugarcube, but four whole hours?” Applejack asked her friend. “Some of us were gettin mighty tired from waitin to surprise him.”

“I’m sorry Applejack, I just ran into trouble with some timber wolves.” Fluttershy replied.

“You what now?!” exclaimed Applejack. “Are ya alright?”

“I am, thanks to Kain.” replied Fluttershy. “He was even nice enough to take me home when I was , uh, passed out.”

“Well Kain, that’s two good deeds in the time you’ve been here. Ah think Ah’ve misjudged ya, sorry.” Applejack said.

Even amidst the celebration and praise, Kain recoiled at the compliment.

Pinkie Pie returned to the group just in time to catch the tail end of the story. “Wow Kain, you’re one brave super pony! And I thought Dashie’s story about you made you seem like a regular Canterlot Knight! Let me introduce you to everypony as our town’s newest visiting hero!”

And with that, Pinkie grabbed Kain and proceeded to take him on tour of the whole party. The dragoon encountered townsfolk as various as they were colorful. Each time Pinkie told the newest ponies they met about his deeds, a pang of guilt surged in Kain; every time they didn’t hear about his treachery, Kain regretted not divulging the truth. However, there was also a bit of an unfamiliar feeling that the Baronian received, he felt pride in his ability to protect. He couldn’t remember the last time he took pride in performing his duty as a dragon knight.

Once Pinkie had introduced him to roughly two dozen ponies, she left him to attend to the party. It was then when his greatest skeptic made her presence known. “So what’s this that I hear you saved Fluttershy from a pack of timber wolves today?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“Its just as you’ve heard.” replied Kain.

“Yeah, the funny thing about that was that Fluttershy passed out during your heroic deeds. Just like the crusaders were turned to stone while you fought off that giant cockatrice. Kind of convenient.” said Rainbow Dash.

It felt odd to Kain that the mistrust of his motives didn’t bother him, but rather the doubt in his abilities. The mare grudgingly, but understandably brought some serious questioning to Kain’s account of the events that unfolded in the past days. No one had actually seen the dragoon do battle, even Kain would be skeptical of an unknown warrior.

“You have every right to be doubtful, but I ‘m not sure what I can to prove what transpired. And I am certain that you wouldn’t wish to jeopardize the town by have me deal with any monsters here, not including the fact that I do not engage in combat with any beast for sport.” Kain replied.

“We’ll see about that.” Rainbow Dash said and then walked away from the dragoon.

Kain became a bit concerned, not certain what kind of rash stunt the pegasus would pull in the near future. “The same bull-headedness as Edge.” he said.

“Don’t worry, I’m sure Rainbow Dash won’t do anything too extreme. If anything she’ll have you run some sort of obstacle course.” Spoke a voice that approached Kain.

He turned to meet a purple mare with a purple and pink streaked mane. She had both wings and a unicorn horn. “I’m sorry, I don’t believe we’ve met.” Kain said.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I’m Twilight Sparkle. So you must be that heroic pony my friends have been talking about.” she said, introducing herself.

“I wouldn’t go as far as call my deeds heroic. I was doing what is expected of a knight.” Kain said.

“You kind of remind me of my brother.” Twilight said. “He really takes his job too serious and can sound stuffy when he meets other ponies. But I know he’s got a good heart. Have you met him? He’s the captain of the royal guard, Shining Armor.

Kain realized that this mare was prying a bit too much for his own comfort. “I don’t believe I ever met him personally.” He said, once again trying not to let out any more than he had to.

“Oh well.” Twilight said. “Say, what guard are you a part of by the way, Solar or Lunar?”

Now he knew that Twilights questions were trouble, the more she asked, the more likely that the truth about him would come to pass. “I’m not at liberty to say.” Kain said, playing it cool.

“I understand.” Twilight replied.

Kain left the purple mare’s company and hung back as most of the revelers of Pinkie’s party took center stage with their dancing. It was for the best, he wouldn’t be subject to most of their questions and he wouldn’t subject them to his atrocious dancing. Even back during his younger years at Baron, he wouldn’t partake in much of the singing or dancing during the feasts and celebrations. However there was one form of dance he did practice, but it wasn’t to lively music of festivals with accompaniment of bards’ verses; Kain learned to formally dance in secret thanks to one of the maids of the castle, but there was only one person he intended to share that dance with.

The party waned and Kain prepared to leave the celebration. He thanked, Pinkie Pie, “I’m gracious for your hospitality to a stranger such as myself, you barely know me and yet here you are, have celebrations in my honor.”

Well of course silly!” Pinkie said. “That’s the only way you stop being a stranger, when you meet other ponies!”

“I should be leaving now, and once again, thank you.” Kain said and exited the building.

Not five seconds after he departed did he hear the door open once more. “Mr. Highwind you seem to have forgotten your helmet.” Rarity said following after the dragoon.

“I suppose that I’m used to it being on my head for the most part.” Kain replied.

“I must say it does complete the ensemble.” spoke Rarity. “Mr. Highwind, would you mind accompanying me home?”

“Of course not Rarity.” Answered the dragoon.

////

When the two arrived at the Carousel Boutique, Rarity surprised Kain with yet another act of generosity. “I have a gift for you Mr. Highwind, please wait in the parlor while I retrieve it.”

The dragoon went to the parlor, gathered his armaments and waited for the seamstress to return. When she did, she brought a folded purple garment. “Here, so that when you’re out and about the town, you’ll have something a bit more tailored to civilian life. Would you mind trying the piece on?” Rarity asked as she levitated the garment in front of Kain.

Once again Kain found himself in the awkward situation of disrobing in this world. Despite the countless battles he’d endured, this one action bothered him more than it should have; disrobing in front of your compatriots and fellow warriors was one matter, but in front of a lady was something else regardless if she was a pony or not. After the internal conflict in his head, he complied and removed his armor. The garment was a combination of a hood and a cloak, which Kain was grateful for in that it still felt like he was still clothed.

Rarity looked at Kain, scanning up and down as to how the cloak looked on him. “I must say, that you look quite dashing.” She said. The seamstress levitated a mirror for Kain to see his new look.

“It’s an excellent piece Rarity, thank you. “ Kain said.

“I’m very glad you like it Mr. Highwind.” Rarity replied.

“I must be leaving now, thank you for your hospitality Rarity.“ Kain said as he departed the boutique.

“It’s really the least I could’ve done after all you’ve done for us.” Rarity said before the dragoon at last left her home.

////

Kain was able to get back to the inn that had turned him down the night prior; he was finally able to rent a room of his own with the money he earned working for Applejack. The dragoon contemplated the conflict before him. On one hand, he needed to discern what his trial was, but on the other hand he also did not wish to divulge any details of his treacherous past; the ponies in this town seemed far too peaceful and nice to have someone with a story as dark as his present in their town. For now, Kain supposed, he’d play it safe and continue working at the farm and then he’d seek out a means to redeem himself.

////

The following morning, Kain journeyed back to Sweet Apple Acres to continue securing funds for the time he would eventually move on from Ponyville. He thought it best to wear the cloak Rarity had made for him as it did diminish the number of gazes the citizens gave him that morning as he acquired breakfast. However he did still garner attention because he still brought his spear and shield with him. Even in this peaceful setting, Kain didn’t want to leave much to chance, especially considering how he was in combat twice in the past three days. He wondered for a bit if his trial was to be some sort of custodial warrior, a local guard for this small town, but thought that he’d be let off the hook too easy in this manner.

When he arrived at the farm, Applejack greeted him. “Howdy there Kain! Ready for some more work?”

“I certainly am Applejack.” Kain replied.

“Well, first things first, go ahead and leave your things at the house. Ah reckon apple bucking is hard enough without a cape getting in the way of your bucking legs, and Ah doubt we’re gonna be skewering any apples today, so ya won’t be needin that spear as well.” Applejack said.

The dragoon immediately regretted his decision for his attire that morning, but reluctantly removed the cloak and readied himself for work. He tried not to think about the situation too much.

After another day in the fields, Kain gathered his pay and belongings and then set off for Ponyville. Sweet Apple Acres was just out of view when he heard someone exclaim, “Hold it right there!”

The dragoon looked around, didn’t see anyone, and pressed on. “Hey don’t walk away from me!” the voice called out once more.

Kain finally looked up and saw the rainbow maned mare that had been scrutinizing his every action since they first met. “Can I help you?” he asked.

“Yeah, I never did buy any of your heroic stories Mr. Mysterious Pony!” Rainbow Dash said.

“And your point in seeking me out in the countryside?” Kain continued.

“I want you to prove you were able to take on that huge cockatrice all by yourself.” Rainbow Dash demanded.

“And how do you suppose I do that?” Kain asked. “I hardly believe you’ve got another one housed somewhere for random visitors to demonstrate their combat prowess with.”

“Nope, but I’ve got this.” Rainbow Dash replied. “Give me a second.” She flew to a grove of trees and then slowly moved what could only be described as a wheeled, wooden dummy model of a large cockatrice onto the path. “Alright, so how exactly did a pony like you take on a monster like this all by yourself?”

Kain was impressed at the tenacity this mare had to get answers. He decided to be straight forward with her and began to explain the battle he had with the giant cockatrice. “I didn’t wish to risk petrification, so I attempted to fight it off with my eyes closed. I waited for it to strike, parried with my shield, and then countered. However, I soon realized that in order to end the fight once and for all, I’d need to impale the creature with an airborne blow using my spear.” explained the dragoon.

Rainbow Dash gave Kain a skeptic glare. “Look buddy, do you not see how big this thing is? Most earth ponies can’t even jump as high as this thing is tall; and let’s say you were able to clear this monster’s head, are you telling me you landed with enough force to stop this thing?” Rainbow Dash asked incredulously.

“Yes.” Kain simply replied.

Rainbow Dash flew a short distance above the construct. “You’re telling me you jumped this high and took out the cockatrice?” she asked.

“Of course not.” Kain answered.

The mare had a smug look about her face as she finally got this fake hero to confess. Until he corrected himself. “It was much higher than that which I leapt.” Kain said.

“What do you mean higher?” Rainbow Dash demanded. She flew up a greater distance above the makeshift monster. “This high?” she asked.

“Higher than that.” Kain replied.

The pegasus flew up even higher, about five stories in the air, and asked again. “This high?”

“Higher.” Kain replied.

Frustrated, the multicolored pegasus flew to just above the tree tops, roughly eight or ten stories tall, and disdainfully asked, “This high?”

“Yes.” Kain answered.

The mare descended down to the dragoon and looked him in the face. “There’s no way any earth pony can jump that high.” She said.

“Alright.” Kain said, and then he vaulted into the air. When he reached the peak of his jump, he unhooked the spear from his back and readied the weapon at the target. Then, in a sudden burst of speed, the dragoon dive-bombed the ‘cockatrice’ at a tremendous force. When he made impact with the construct, it shattered into a multitude of fragments. Kain jumped back from the display of destruction towards Rainbow Dash, landed besides her, and twirled the spear onto his back. He was also quite shocked to realize that he grabbed and held onto his weapon in the entire process; so much to the point that he looked at his left foreleg and quietly said to himself, “I did it.”

Rainbow Dash was speechless. She stood there, staring at the terrific display of destruction before her. She didn’t say a word, not even as the dragoon departed for Ponyville. The mare would stare with her mouth agape for another ten minutes almost certain this wasn’t the first time she’d been left dumbfounded like this.

////

The day had passed in the blink of an eye. Between the daily work on the farm and the occasional encounter with random ponies, Kain concluded that he would soon be settled for life in Ponyville and then be able to continue searching for clues to his trial. Then again, he wondered once more if it would be better if he eased himself into a quiet live, abandon the guilt and the pursuit of redemption. As the dragoon entered Ponyville, the inclination to retire from his trial increased. En route to the inn, he was met by the purple mare he met at the party.

“Oh there you are Kain!” Twilight said. “I’ve been looking all over for you!”

“Have you now?” Kain asked.

“Oh yes.” The alicorn said. “You see, I’m still getting used to this whole princess thing.”

“You’re a princess?” Kain asked in surprise.

“Oh dear, I knew I forgot that part when I introduced myself last night.” Twilight said. “I try not to play the royalty card in social settings, but I do take my responsibilities seriously. That’s why I took the liberty of letting Princess Celestia know that you’re okay. After Rarity and Applejack told me how you were on a mission for the kingdom, I had a responsibility to let her and Princess Luna of your whereabouts.

A wave of worry coursed through Kain’s body. He’d soon be discovered and face the consequences for impersonating a knight of this kingdom. He thought perhaps it’d be best to gather as many supplies in a few days and then move out before the message had been delivered.

“But don’t worry.” Twilight said. “I’ve already received their reply via dragon fire, and the letter said that you’re needed to return to Canterlot with an update on your mission!” the purple mare added, smiling.

~Beligerent Bindlestiff

Author's Note:

Musical Accompaniment/Inspiration: “Eternal Wind (.333 Mix)” FFIII DS OST, “Eternal Wind” FFIII DS OST, “What? 2” FFVI OST

Where does Rainbow even find the time to build these things?