• Published 27th May 2012
  • 817 Views, 3 Comments

Moon Time - flutterspin



Nightmare Moon walks again in the land of Equestria. What has happened and can it be reversed?

  • ...
 3
 817

Temporal Illusion

Nightmare Moon was standing in front of a small table with a plate on top. Paniced, I quickly glanced around the room. There was no stage, no large group of ponies, no princesses, and no buffet table. My eyes veered back to Nightmare Moon. She turned and looked directly at me.

"Your grace!" a pony shouted from the air.

Out came a black pegasus from the other room. He landed directly in front of Nightmare Moon and kneeled.

"Everything is going well. It is just as you wished."

Nightmare Moon hesitantly responded, "Thank you."

The black pegasus got up and rushed over to me. "Where have you been, Moonlight?"

Still shocked, I quickly gathered my thoughts together. My mouth moved, but my voice escaped me.

"Nevermind! I have to return to our guests. You can explain your whereabouts to Nightmare Moon."

The pegasus left the room. I was alone, standing in front of Nightmare Moon. I could only look straight into her blue eyes. She turned her head and looked directly back at me. My only reaction was to swallow. That was when I heard a large crash come from the kitchen, followed closely by the shouting of a pony.

"No! For the last time, your grace doesn't want you making any more muffins!"

Mrs. Cake came rushing out of the kitchen. "I am sorry, your excellency. More cake will be coming out shortly."

Another loud crash sounded from the kitchen. Mrs. Cake quickly bowed and ran back through the kitchen doors. My breathing worsened. While my head was turned, I noticed guards flying around Canterlot. The voice of Nightmare Moon had me turn my head back at her.

"I wish to speak to Moonlight somewhere more... private. Is there a place we can go without having anymore interruptions?"

A guard replied, "You can always use the room upstairs. We will stay here and guard the entrance."

Nightmare Moon climbed up the steps. "You, come with me!"

I slowly followed Nightmare Moon up the stairs. She disappeared into a dark room. I started to shake as I entered the room. It was completely black. The only light that was visible came from behind me.

I feared for my life. "What do you want with me?"

Nightmare Moon's eyes glowed. "I only want answers. Tell me, where have you been for the past hour?"

A chill ran down my spine. At first I thought it was because my nerves were giving out. Then I realized it was because my magic started working. I could see small stars appear around the room. The light behind me disappeared, and a small twinkle of light appeared within Nightmare Moon's eyes. As if lighted by the sun, I was able to see Nightmare Moon's entire body. The image of Nightmare Moon became transparent. The image of Princess Luna was shown underneath. Then in a flash, my vision returned back to normal. From that moment on, her eyes appeared less threatening.

Nightmare Moon shouted, "Tell me! What have we been doing for the past hour?"

The sound of her voice reflected the change I saw in her eyes. She was scared. I also noted that she used the word we instead of you the second time she asked me the question.

I decided to take a gamble. "We have been at a music event."

She then lighted the room. "Then it must be you."

The image I saw before me transformed from Nightmare Moon into Princess Luna.

I was happy to see her face once again. "It is you. What is going on, Luna?"

"Do you remember anything happening in the past couple minutes?"

I said, "Just that one moment there were ponies and the next they were gone."

Luna asked, "Did you see the shockwave?"

I answered, "I don't remember seeing that. I did see a strange light come from the library."

Luna took a moment to search for a good explanation for our current dilemma.

I asked, "What should we do?"

We heard the pegasus from earlier shout, "Your grace, is everything alright?"

"Your grace?" I asked.

Luna removed her light source before the pegasus could see her. The pegasus slowly walked up the steps. Luna transformed her image back into Nightmare Moon and bolted out of the room.

Luna used her royal Canterlot voice. "What is it?"

"I am sorry, my liege. I did not mean to interrupt. There is no need to yell."

I slowly walked down the steps, passing Luna and the black pegasus. As I reached the bottom, I could overhear the conversation Luna was having with the pegasus.

Luna stomped the ground. "Give me a reason why I shouldn't have the guards take you away right now."

The pegasus chuckled. "Let us not be too hasty. It's me, Night Star."

Luna asked, "And what do you do around here, Night Star?"

Night Star took a defensive stand. "I lead the Knight Brigade. I'm the one that keeps your city safe."

"Make sure you remember that."

Night Star bowed. "Of course. I only mean to please you."

"Moonlight," Luna uttered.

I turned back to Luna. "Yes?"

"See what you can find out. You have your orders."

"Yes... your grace."

"Night, you may resume back to what you were doing."

"Yes, your excellency."

Night Star turned away from Nightmare Moon and passed by me. He whispered, "I'm not done with you yet."

I only stood there long enough to see Nightmare Moon walk up to the small table in the middle of the room. I continued making my way to the next room. The cook inside the kitchen continued yelling intermittently.

Luna shouted, "Where is that cake?"

I gave out a little chuckle. The thought of Luna playing the role of Nightmare Moon was funny. That thought quickly left me as I entered the next room. Ponies were scattered by pairs in various tables around the room. Their demeanor suggested that they were terrified. Their eyes also reflected that. As I made my way through the room, I overheard a couple of ponies talking to each other.

"Why did we have to receive tickets to the Grand Galloping Gala?"

"Stop complaining. The guards will hear you."

A moment later, one of the guards walked by the table. The attitude of the ponies changed.

"Nightmare Moon is the greatest! I'm so glad she is ruler."

"Things are so much better with Princess Celestia gone."

The shock of what I heard filled my eyes. I tried not to think more of it. I hurried out of the room as quickly as I could without drawing any unwanted attention. Once I cleared the room, I took a deep breath. After I exhaled, Night Star tapped my shoulder.

"Where do you think you are going?"

"Out."

"Not without your bag."

Night Star tossed the bag to me. "Right."

I pulled the bag's strap over my back.

Before I could walk away, Night Star asked, "What did Nightmare Moon want?"

Without even looking back at him, I responded, "What she wanted is between her and I."

Night Star flew over and landed in front of me. "It better not have been something about me. If I catch wind of you saying one bad thing about me to Nightmare Moon, I'll have you wishing you never became her advisor. Do you understand?"

I nodded.

"Good. I'm going to keep an eye on you. I don't know why Nightmare Moon chose you over me, but when I find out..."

The frustration overtook Night Star. He jumped once on the ground and then flew off into the air. Once I knew he was gone, I grabbed my bag and sat down. I opened the bag and found a few blank scrolls with a quill.

I pulled out one of the blank scrolls and looked at it. "This isn't very helpful."

As I gazed at the scroll, writing appeared. Being taken back for a second, I decided to read what was on the scroll. It was checklist.

[ ] Speak with the prisoners inside the dungeon.

[ ] Usher in Shining Armor's new recruits.

[ ] Make sure all guards are reported in and awake at their post.

[ ] Investigate suspicious activity within the Night Brigade.

[ ] Check in with the Hearth and Home.

[ ] Assist Twilight Sparkle with her lab experiment.

Besides a couple of names, I didn't understand anything written on the scroll. I put it back into the bag and threw it over my back.

As I meandered through Canterlot, I found the entire place quite frightening. The guards flying back and forth gave me the impression that the city was at constant alert. I passed by a couple of ruined towers. One was in pieces and the other had burn marks that could only be made by lightning. There were no ponies in the street and no decorations. Banners of Nightmare Moon's ensignia were displayed within various parts of the city.

As I turned a corner, I heard Shining Armor's voice. Excitedly, I rushed to meet him. I slowly came to a halt when I noticed his uniform. It was adorned in obsidian with onyx stones. Nightmare Moon's emblem was displayed on his chest.

"Moonlight should be arriving any second. I want you all to show him the same kind of respect you showed me."

As I came closer, I noticed three pegasi lined up at attention. One of the pegasi coughed to alert Shining of my presence.

Shining turned around and saluted. "Moonlight, I was just getting them ready for you."

Shining Armor showed off strong conviction and dignity, but he couldn't mask the conniption in his eyes.

He grew impatient waiting for a response. "Well?"

"Well, what?" I responded.

"Aren't you going to give them their assignments?"

I looked at the three cadets and then back at Shining. "What assignment should I give them?"

Shining's manner softened. He wasn't expecting me to ask for his opinion.

Still a bit puzzled, he responded, "I think Thunderlane would do well over at the observatory."

"Alright."

"Cloudchaser and Flitter work very well with each other. They should both be assigned to watch the train station."

"Very good."

Shining Armor scratched his head. "Aren't you going to take them?"

"I think you can handle it."

Shining responded, "Whatever you want, sir."

I took out the scroll out of my bag and quickly glanced over it. "Shining, do you know where the dungeon is?"

Shining Armor pointed towards the mountain. "It's in the same place as it's always been."

I put the scroll back into the bag. "Thanks."

Before I could take another step, Shining asked, "Is everything alright?"

"Yes, why do you ask?"

Shining Armor shook his head. "Nevermind."

"Anything else before I go?"

Shining Armor's voice softened. "If you are going to the dungeon, make sure the ponies there are well taken care of."

"I will."

* * *

After a short walk through Canterlot, I approached a door with two unicorns standing guard. When one of the guards saw me, he pulled the door open. Inside, I saw six ponies inside a jail cell. They were terrified and bereaved. The guard closed the door behind me. The only light source was a small hole in the ceiling that shined above the cell.

One of the ponies mocked, "What does Nightmare Moon's lackey want now?"

Another pony responded, "Just because Moonlight is under her wing doesn't automatically make him evil. If it wasn't for him-"

I recognized the pony's voice. "Cadance?"

Cadance came closer to the bars. The light beamed onto her face.

"Yes, Moonlight? What does Nightmare Moon want this time? I already told her I can't force ponies to love her."

"Cadance, it's me, Moonlight. What have they done to you?"

"They haven't done anything to me."

I grabbed hold of the bars. "I gotta' get you out of there."

Cadance moved out of the light to the back of the cell. "No!"

I let go of my grip on the bars. One of the guards banged on the door.

"Is everything alright in there, Moonlight?"

"Everything is fine!"

I placed my hooves back on the ground and looked down.

A mare inside the cell said, "Leave her alone."

Cadance responded, "Stay down, Wildfire. I can handle this."

"Tell me what to do and I'll do it" I said.

"Nothing. Don't worry about me."

I looked around the room, searching for a way to help the ponies. A thought rushed through my head.

"Guard!" I shouted.

One of the unicorns outside opened the door and darted in. "What is it, Moonlight?"

"Food was prepared for the guests. Is there any of that food left over?"

"I'm not sure."

"Go find out. While you are there, get some for yourself. In fact, bring some to all the guards. Anything that isn't used, bring them to the prisoners."

"But sir."

"That food was prepared for Nightmare Moon and her guests. I'm not about to throw any of it away."

"Yes sir."

The unicorn rushed out of the dungeon.

I said, "Cadance, I'll come back for you."

I turned around and put my hoof on the opened door.

Cadance said, "Hey, Moonlight."

"Yeah?"

"Thanks."

I smiled and walked out.