• Published 27th May 2012
  • 829 Views, 4 Comments

With the Shadow of Lightning - oneupthextraman



A new colt in Rarity's life. But who is he?

  • ...
3
 4
 829

Chapter 10


Chapter 10:

The three ponies rushed to the hospital room where they were told by the front desk that Lightning was being kept. Ponies left and right were bowing before the two princesses, and Rarity. The hospital was not very crowded, but it was very large. Many of the rooms were empty, and the ones that did have ponies in them were mostly for broken legs, and general non-life threatening things.

Eventually, the three ponies arrived at the room and burst in. In the hospital bed was Lightning, all bandaged up. His horn had a large bandage in the middle, seemingly keeping it together. His two back legs were in casts, and his torso was also in a cast. There were also a mess of bruises on his body. The doctor in the room looked up from his clip board.

“Ah, Princesses, glad of you to join us.” He paused. “And you, miss?”

“I am Rarity, a close friend of Lighting. I think.”

The doctor smiled. “Ah yes, Rarity. Lighting has mentioned you several times in his drug induced state.” He pointed to Lighting, who promptly stirred.

The stallion mumbled something. Rarity walked closer to him to try and hear what he said. “Luna, I have an update.”

Rarity frowned. “Luna, he says he has an update.” Luna raised an eyebrow.

Lighting grabbed Rarity, and pulled her close with his hoofs. “I am upgrading her status. She is creating a new cauterization of ‘possible love interest’.” Rarity blushed deeply at this. She tried to break free, but Lightings grip was intense for someone in the hospital. Also, she did not want to hurt the pony anymore more. “But don’t tell Pinkie Pie. She would flip her lid. And for her, that could be damaging.” He smiled a bit, but then fell asleep on the bed.

Luna smiled. “What did he say Rarity?”

Rarity blushed a deeper red than before. “He said he is upgrading me to ‘possible love interest’ in his status.” Candace and Luna both looked surprised with their mouths agape.

Luna was the first to speak. “What?”, was all she could muster.

Rarity thought for a moment. “I don’t think I should have told you that. I suspect it was supposed to be a secret.” Luna and Candace had a look of ‘oh boy’ on their faces.

Candace was the first to reply. “Well, we will just have to keep this a secret until he admits it publicly.” She smiled at this thought.

Luna did not respond, and instead intently started at Lighting until Candace poked her with her hoof. “What? Oh yes, capital idea!” She did not seem fully invested in the idea, and continued to stare at Lighting.

Rarity did not seem to notice Luna acting weird. “Isn’t that a bit mean?” She paused. “Don’t you think he will be hurt by that?’

Luna spoke up. “I do not believe so. I suspect he will be fine.” The two other ponies looked at Luna with a confused look. Luna thought fast as to how to respond. “I’ve known him for several years now. I think I know him fairly well.” She smiled a weak smile.

Rarity smiled. “Sounds like a plan then.”

The doctor cleared his throat. “Anyways.” He paused, waiting for the other ponies to pay attention to him again. “He’s going to be immobile for several days, but after that, he should be stable enough to move to a more suitable location.”

Rarity was confused. “Suitable? What’s better than a hospital?”

Luna explained, “For security, we had a majority of the hospital evacuated. We were concerned about the patients and the hospital being attacked by the organization.”

Rarity raised an eyebrow. “The organization? What’s that?”

Luna looked around. “I’ll explain later. It’s highly classified.” Luna paused. “Now, where can we put him where he will be safe?” Luna appeared to be deep in thought.

Rarity piped up, “HE CAN COME WITH ME!” Rarity blushed at how much she yelled that. “I mean, he can come stay with me again. It worked out so well last time.” Rarity smiled a weak smile.

Luna replied. “I suppose that would work.” She paused. “I’m only concerned about if the enemy knows about him being there before. There was that tracker from before.”

Candace spoke up, “I’m sure they will be fine. We can cast a protection spell to prevent any dark element agents from getting in the house.”

Luna did not look convinced. “I’m not sure that will be enough.” She looked at Rarity, who had a smile on her face. “But, I guess it would be more secure and secret than having him in the royal hospital. We should leave soon Rarity, to prepare a room in your house for Lightning and his medical equipment.”

Candace cleared her throat. “I think it might attract unwanted attention if the princess of the night were to show up in Ponyville again.”

Luna groaned. “Next year.” She sighed, “next year.” She shook her hoof at the celling. “Ok. We’ll notify agent Pink, and have her help with the initial preparations. Then we’ll send over a magic generator to generate a shield.”

Rarity raised an eyebrow. “Agent Pink?” She thought it could be Pinkie Pie, but figured it was some code name for some really tough agent in the field.

Luna smiled. “We are not at liberty to discuss who or what ‘agent pink’ is.” She smiled a coy wicked smile.

Rarity laughed a little. “Ok, keep your secrets.”

Rarity went back to her house with one of the royal guards to start setting up the guest bedroom again for the prince. The guard was a gray unicorn, who seemed to be nearing the end of his tenure as a guard, but Rarity did not wish to offend him. With them, they brought some medical equipment, and some pills. It did not take too long to set up, as there were only a few pillows and adjustments made to the bed. And with both of them being unicorns, it went by even faster than anticipated. The guard left saying that the prince should be arriving the next day.

A little after the guard left, Sweetie Bell returned from school. Rarity was sitting at the kitchen sitting at the kitchen table, drinking what appeared to be teat. Rarity was deep in thought, and didn’t notice Sweetie Bell approach her, and sit at the table with her.

“Something wrong sis?”

Rarity jumped a little bit at her sister being there. “No. Nothing is wrong Sweetie Bell.”

Sweetie Bell was not convinced. “It’s Lighting, isn’t it?” Rarity attempted shock, but failed. Sweetie Bell gave her best ‘you are not fooling anyone’ look.

Rarity sighed. “Yeah.”

Sweetie Bell stretched out a hoof to cover Rarity’s. “What happened.”

Rarity raised an eyebrow at her filly sister’s sudden emotional side. Rarity sighed. “I don’t feel comfortable discussing this with you…..little sister.”

Sweetie Bell pulled her hoof back. “I understand sister. I am not as wise in the world of love as you.”

Rarity was starting to grow concerned about her sister. “What has gotten into you? You’re acting rather weird.”

Sweetie Bell pulled a book out of her saddle bag. “In school today we read a number of poems by some famous poets. It’s inspired me.” She smiled an oddly big smile.

Rarity smiled a weak smile. “I think I am going to have this discussion with some other pony.” Rarity thought about whom to discuss this with.

After searching around Ponyville for her friends, she ended up at the door of Pinkie Pie. The other friends were oddly busy at the moment. Rarity didn’t put that much thought into it, and so shouldn’t you.

Rarity knocked at the back door of Sugar Cube Corner. Pinkie Pie often answered the door at the back. The front was for customers. After a few seconds, Pinkie Pie appeared. “Hey Rarity, what’s up!?”

Rarity sighed. There was a reason Pinkie Pie was the last on she asked. “Pinkie Pie, can I ask for relationship advice?”

Pinkie Pie’s demeanor suddenly changed. “Come in Rarity.” She let Rarity into her living section. Rarity was caught a little off guard by the sudden tonal shift of Pinkie Pie. Rarity then thought she was getting caught off guard a lot lately. Maybe she should work on that.

Pinkie Pie motioned for Rarity to sit down in one of the chairs she already had set up. Rarity examined the chair, and then sat down in it.

“So, Rarity. What is the matter?” Pinkie Pie was being oddly serious. Rarity couldn’t tell, but it seemed like her mane was less bright, and grayer. Not to the point of being sad, or depressed, but a little bit more serious looking.

Rarity sat down in the chair, and looked at Pinkie Pie uneasily. “Prince Lightning has labeled me as a possible love interest, and I am not certain how to feel about this. He’s a great colt and all…” Rarity paused briefly. “…but I am not sure how to feel about this...”

Pinkie Pie thought about this. “Do you have similar feelings for him? You appear to hold him in high regard.” Pinkie Pie shifted in her seat.

Rarity was starting to feel uncomfortable. “I do, but I am not sure if they are real feelings, or just from him saving me before. I don’t want to give my heart on such a thing.”

Pinkie Pie nodded, and seemed deep in thought. “Rarity, the question you must ask yourself is this; does being around Agent Spat….Prince Lighting make you happy?”

Rarity thought about this. “I think it does.” Rarity smiled a weak smile.

Pinkie Pie adjusted in her chair. “Only you can answer that question. And when you can, you will know your answer.” Pinkie Pie smiled.

Rarity returned the smile. “Thank you Pinkie Pie. You have been surprisingly useful.” Rarity paused. “Wait…” Pinkie Pie paused. “You started calling Lighting something else; agent, something.”

Pinkie Pie sighed. “I have known Prince Lightning for many years. We trained together as special agents, and have even gone on a few missions together. It was tense some times.”

Rarity was rather shocked at this revelation. “You’ve never mentioned this before. Did something happen on a mission?”

Pinkie Pie nodded a slow nod. “Let me tell you about it….Maybe then you can understand Lighting a little bit better…..”