• Published 27th May 2012
  • 854 Views, 24 Comments

The Thing That Makes Me Special - KartalTheWriter



The Cutie Mark Crusaders help a colt named Thorn find his purpose in the world.

  • ...
3
 24
 854

Prologue

“Blank Flank. The new kid. The one devoid of color. That’s Thorn. He just sits there in the corner. No one knows what he’s thinking. Sometimes, when the silence is too much, his horn glows, but it’s not the healthy glow of a happy unicorn, it’s this uncontrollable static that reaches out to any unfortunate filly or colt in his immediate range. And it’s terrible. It doesn’t hurt, but the shock makes you think of every bad thing that’s ever happened to you.”

The young filly looks back up at the principle.

“Can I go back to class now?”

The principle, being a reasonable mare, nods. Gratefully, the filly trots out of her office. The principle shakes her head and goes back to her desk to write a letter. The reports about the strange student had been overflowing ever since his arrival. What could she possibly do? If she suggests he be home-schooled, he’d just degenerate into a psychopath. But if he stays, eventually all the foals in the school would be withdrawn out of fear. The principle is facing a very tough decision. Suddenly, she thinks of the perfect plan.

“I know! I’ll just let my good friend Cheerilee handle him! It’s brilliant!” In a feverish fury, the principle of a small school very far from Ponyville writes a very long-winded letter involving many useless adverbs and possibly some incorrect prepositional phrases to Cheerilee over in Ponyville.

“Now we’ll never have to hear of his terrible deeds again!” She cackles, taking a doll out of her drawer that she talked to when she had emotional breakdowns.

“You don’t think I’m being impulsive, do you Harpshnarp? I’m doing this for Thorn’s own good! Don’t look at me like that!” The doll says nothing, being made entirely of rainbows and fluff.