• Published 27th Aug 2015
  • 1,643 Views, 35 Comments

Moon Light - theomegabrony



Twilight Gets an unexpected Visitor. Can the newly christened Princess of Freindship help a frenemy in need?

  • ...
21
 35
 1,643

An Unexpected Visitor

As Celestia’s sun was settling low on the western horizon, causing the sky to streak in vibrant hues of orange and yellow, fading to a lavender further along the horizon. There came a gentle rap at the door to Twilight’s new castle. It was too faint to echo through the cavernous halls, but it clearly reached Twilight Sparkle’s ears as she rested in her library reading. For she had enchanted the doors to alert her whenever somepony knocked. The first few times her timid friend Fluttershy came calling, she waited for hours for somepony to open the door by chance. Twilight set her book down on the table, stood from her pillow on the floor, stretched her back and wings out, and let forth a yawn in the process.

“I thought Fluttershy and Rainbow were doing the bunny census today.” She mused to herself, shaking her head “Those two would make a cute couple if they would just see it.”She thought To herself It’s obvious to everyone else just watching them.

“Oh well, they’ll sort it out.” She said aloud while trotting to the door. As Twilight approached the door the handle glowed in her magic’s lavender aura and she swung the heavy door open effortlessly with her magic. Twilight then stepped into the threshold.

“Hi Fluttershy. I thought you were doing the…” her words failed her as it was not her dear timid pegasus friend but rather the boastful, over the top mare, that had terrorized Ponyville on her last visit. “T..Trixie ?” Twilight stammered.

The normally boastful mare had changed her demeanor entirely. Before her stood a defeated pony. Her eyes were tired, her cape was dirty, and her mouth was drawn tightly in an attempt of a smile that did not reach her eyes.

“Princess Twilight.“ Said the blue mare, bowing.

“Trixie, it’s just Twilight, and what can I do for you?” Twilight said, blushing a touch at the use of her title. To the contrary of other “nobles”, like Prince Blueblood, Celestia’s nephew, since gaining her title, Twilight had viewed her position as a means to serve the ponies of Equestria rather than make them bow to her whims. Trixie looked up to Twilight with tears starting to well up in her eyes.

“I came back to Ponyville to try and make amends for the horrible things I did while I was here last time. B..But they ran me out of town they threw rocks at me and, and...I’m sorry. I just wanted to apologize. I’m sorry for being so horrible!” The mare yelled through her tears and turned to run away.

“Trixie wait!” Twilight called after her. Trixie stopped and turned to face Twilight with tears flowing freely from her eyes.

“I’ve seen how wrong I was Twilight. I just wanted to do better, I’ve been trying to do better, but everyone hates me. They run me out of every place I go, because I attacked the Princess of Friendship, so I move on and on. So, I finally came to apologize and ask you for your forgiveness.”

“Oh Trixie, I'm so sorry. If you really are trying to do better, I know you will do better and be a better pony.” Twilight said gently

“Thank you and I’m sorry to have bothered you Twilight I’ll be going now.” and with a small smile the blue mare started to walk away again. Casting her head about Twilight didn’t see Trixie’s beloved wagon.

“Hey Trixie, where’s your wagon?” Twilight asked casually

“Oh, a mob in Baltimare burned it.” She said slumping her head down.

“Oh My Celestia! I’m sorry Trixie.” Twilight said agast.

“It’s alright. At least it made them very happy. They had a big marshmallow roast in the street. And it’s fair, I guess. I was terrible to them and they were terrible to me. An eye for an eye I suppose, but I’ve been homeless since then.”

“No, it’s not alright.” Twilight said with conviction. “ ‘An Eye for an Eye’ and the whole world goes blind Trixie. I’ll see what I can do about getting you a new wagon Trixie. I’m so sorry that happened to you.”

“Thank you, Twilight. It makes me feel better to know that you forgive me. Do you think Celestia forgives Trixie?” The oddness of the question and Trixie’s slip back into third person tripped Twilight up a bit but she continued on.

“I’m sure that if you're trying the Princess will forgive you.” Twilight said smiling at Trixie.

“Thank you Twilight.” Trixie smiled at Twilight then turned and began to walk off again, crying softly. Twilight, unsure of what to do, turned and walked back into her castle. As she trotted through the halls on the way to her library, she couldn't help thinking about Trixie’s predicament. She sighed contently as she reached her library, her sanctuary. As big as her castle was this was the room she felt most comfortable in. It reminded her of her beloved Golden Oaks. She tried to return to her book but she kept coming back to Trixie.

“Uhh, how can I help Trixie?” Twilight was talking to herself as she paced her library. “I could issue an edict or rule or something but that might make it worse. Ponies might resent being told to leave her be. She can’t make reparations because she has nothing. I mean she’s homeless. I could let her stay here in the castle with me but then what about when she leaves here? Ponies will still be angry with her.” Twilight started banging her head with a hoof. “Think think think.”

“Why don’t you just punish her.” Came a small draconic voice from behind a stack of books being carried toward a bookshelf. Spike set the books on the floor revealing his face.

“Oh yeah, Spike. That’s an excellent idea. ‘Sorry your home got burned down and you lost everything you owned, here’s 30 lashes.’” Twilight snipped.

The small purple and green dragon glared heavily at Twilight then sighed.

“If you punish her you can keep her here under “Arrest” and others will be more receptive to her help if is a “Punishment” from the princess. Also when the punishment is over ponies will be more likely to accept that she paid her debts having seen her working them off.”

Twilight just stared, mouth agape, at the tiny dragon.

“That’s genius Spike!” She finally managed.

“Yeah I know. Number one assistant remember.” Twilight hugged the little purple dragon who squirmed in her grasp. She dropped Spike as her mind shifted gears.

“Oh I gotta go find her. She wandered off but which way did she go?” Twilight asked herself.

“What about that summoning spell that Celestia gave you for Discord? Just look for Trixie’s magic. You've dealt with it before.” Spike quipped.

“That’s it! Spike you’re-”

“A genius? I know.” He laughed, “now if you don’t mind, this genius needs some rubies.” He said as he headed off toward the kitchen.

Twilight shook her head then her horn glowed, her face screwed up in concentration, as she searched for Trixie’s magic. The “Feel”, if you can call it that, reminded Twilight of pale electric-blue cotton candy.

“Ah ha! There it is.” A quick flash of teleportation and a screaming, crying, flailing, and falling Trixie appeared and slammed abruptly into the library floor, a foot or two below her.

“Oh my Celestia! I’m sorry, Trixie. I must have made a mistake.” Twilight rushed to Trixie’s side to help the blue mare up. Trixie was shaking her head, still crying, as she started to get to her hooves.

“Why?” Trixie rasped.

“Well, I wanted to-”

“WHY DID YOU STOP TRIXIE!!!” Trixie screamed, as tears stained her azure fur and rage twisted her face.

“Wuh what?” A confused Twilight stumbled as she shrunk back from the enraged mare before her.

“Trixie finally worked up the nerve to end her own miserable life, and you stopped her. Why!? So we can be tormented further? Is that it? You want us to suffer more!” Trixie was trembling with anger. Her magic flared with her anger enveloping her in an electric blue aura. She pulled a ceremonial spear off it’s mounting on the wall and brought it to her own chest, levitating the tip mere inches from her heaving breast.

“IF YOU WANT TO SEE TRIXIE SUFFER, I SUGGEST YOU PAY ATTENTION, TWILIGHT SPARKLE!!” Trixie grunted and gritted her teeth she forced the blade forward with all her might. The blade would have easily pierced her blue fur, cut through muscle, slipped between her ribs and buried itself in her heart, taking her wretched life. But the spear didn’t move. It floated in a magical grasp inches from her chest Trixie tried again but the spear was held firm in a lavender aura. Twilight looked at Trixie with a look of horror and pity.
“STOP IT! LET GO! TWILIGHT, LET GO! TRIXIE DOESN’T NEED YOUR PITY!! DAMNIT JUST LET ME GO!!!” Trixie raged herself into tears and finally slumped and loosened her magical grip on the spear. Twilight took the opportunity and levitated the spear back to it’s display on the wall.

“No Trixie. I don’t want you to suffer. Why would you think that? You're not making any sense. I wanted to tell you I figured out a way to help you out.” Twilight said calmly and quietly trying to settle the emotional unicorn. Trixie had lost the fire and venom that she had moments before. She slumped further, sat back on her haunches and started to sob in earnest. Twilight trotted over and sat in front of Trixie. She then wrapped her hooves around the sobbing blue mare and pulled her into a hug. Trixie stiffened for a moment then surrendered to Twilight, who held the mare as she sobbed against her purple fur. After several minutes of crying, Trixie’s sobs grew softer and her tears eventually stopped, but she still held Twilight close as if she was the only thing keeping her from falling into an unseen abyss.

“What is going on Trixie?” Twilight finally ventured to ask while she brushed the blue unicorn’s silver mane back with a wing tip, revealing her tear reddened eyes. Trixie took a deep breath and spoke in a broken, tear strained voice.

“I jumped off the Ponyville dam. I’m so tired of being ridiculed and hated. I’m tired of being alone.” She sniffed and continued. “I have been alone for such a long time Twilight. My parents died when I was young and I was picked on in school because I was an orphan. So I came up with “The Great and Powerful Trixie“. She could do anything, everyone loved her. She was powerful when I wasn’t, the hurt little filly that I was hid in that comfort. But when everypony turned on “The Great and Powerful Trixie” I was lost and alone again. I just wanted it to end Twilight.” Trixie buried her muzzle into Twilight’s chest and cried once again. Twilight unsure of what to do just continued to hold her and rubbed the poor mare’s back trying to console her.

When Trixie finally stopped crying, she sat up, wiped a tear from her eye and looked up at Twilight.

“How can you help me? I’m nothing and why would you want to ?” Trixie whispered, as
Twilight wiped tears from her own eyes.

“Oh Trixie. I’m so sorry you've had it so rough. I wish I could change things for you but I can’t. However I believe that everypony deserves respect and another chance.” Twilight gave Trixie another hug “And I have an idea that may help you find a better place. And may get other ponies to give you a chance.”

“Go back in time to prevent me from screwing my life up?” Trixie quipped sarcastically

“No, that won’t work, it would cause a paradox. If I went back and stopped you, you wouldn't be here and I wouldn't go back, thus, the initial stop would not happen and we'd be back here.” Twilight realized from the look on Trixie’s face, that the suggestion was supposed to be sarcastic and shook her head. “Sorry. But no, I propose that I punish you publicly.” Twilight smiled at Trixie who was looking at her in disbelief. After an awkward moment of silence, Twilight felt the need to explain her plan, as it wasn't inherently obvious. “I don’t mean a public flogging or anything like that. However, I could take you into custody here at the castle, so you won’t be homeless. I will order you to do community service, so you can prove to others that you want to be a better pony. Plus, after what happened today, I would like you to seek psychological assistance. I know a good psychologist that might be able to help you.”

Trixie sat for a few minutes thinking about what Twilight had told her. Twilight looked at her nervously and began to tap her forehooves together. To be honest, Trixie had no better ideas, and what else was she going to do? She had no where to go and nothing to lose, she was at rock bottom. What would it hurt to accept Twilight’s help? Trixie looked up at Twilight and nodded.

“Ok.” She almost whispered, her entire demeanor was that of an utterly defeated pony, as she laid on her belly and covered her muzzle with her hooves. Twilight’s heart was breaking for this mare, as she watched Trixie. She had heard stories about ponies trying to take their own life but had never met somepony that was so tired of living, that they actually tried to kill themselves. She leaned down and nuzzled Trixie.
“Come on. I’ll show you to your rooms.” She murmured gently.

“Rooms?” Trixie queried.

“Yeah, there’s a whole guest suite in here somewhere.” Twilight said, gesturing in a general direction of a large hallway. “I think it’s in the east wing.” She smiled and looked back to Trixie, who was staring up at Twilight looking quite confused.

“Look, this place is huge and I’m still finding my way around okay.” Twilight said, a bit of blush showing on her face. The last thing she wanted to do was rub it in Trixie’s face how grand her castle was.

“No Trixie… I mean, I was confused. I thought I was to be in custody, not a guest who gets their own suite.” Trixie said sheepishly rubbing her mane with a hoof.

“Yeah, I guess the dungeon might be a bit better suited for you then.” Twilight teased, “It’s too bad Spike has laid claim to it. He calls it his ‘dragon cave’, but all he does is play video games, and talk about hoofball with Big Mac down there, but he has a strict no fillies rule, especially the Cutie Mark Crusaders. They...umm nevermind.” Twilight shook her head realizing that she was rambling again. What was it about this blue mare and her silver mane that had her so flustered?

“Well, if you insist, I would be happy to stay in a suite then Twilight.” Trixie stood and stretched her back, cracking all the vertebrae in sequence, all the way to the her tail. “Well Twilight, shall we go to my bedroom?” Realizing the possible implied suggestion of her question, Trixie blushed and gushed. “... er umm not like that, just can you, um, show me to my room, ha ha!” ‘What is it about that mousy lavender librarian that has me so flustered?’ Trixie thinks to herself.

Author's Note:

This is only my second story I hope you enjoyed there's more to come please leave me any comments or criticisms. Also a big thank you goes out to Frankie2 for helping me edit and proof read.