• Published 11th Aug 2015
  • 2,198 Views, 15 Comments

New World: Land of Shadows - Fire Feather



What would life be like if all of Equestria's villans roamed free? If Nightmare Moon defeated Celestia, Sombra ruled the Crystal Empire, and changelings were a daily threat. Oh, and Discord wasn't a statue.

  • ...
2
 15
 2,198

Land of Shadows: After the Council

Rainbow Dash stood outside Twilight's room, waiting for her to be done. After the punishment of Discord, Queen Nightmare Moon had ended the council and told everypony that they could go back to whatever they were doing before. Twilight had gone back to her room so that she could clean Discord's blood off of her. Apparently Dark Magic could hurt draconeqii. Personally, Dash was a bit freaked out. Twilight had been so calm, and it looked like she had enjoyed it. If that wasn't freaky, Dash didn't know what was.

Inside the room, Twilight stood in front of her mirror. Her purple cape had dark stains on it, and her silver gauntlets were stained with red. Overall though, she was pleased. Opening her mouth, she called for her hoofmaiden. "Hoofmaiden! I am in need of your assistance!"

A small, dirty yellow pegasus scurried frantically out of the servant's door and into Twilight's room. "Yes, Princess?" She asked, her voice trembling as she bowed. "What do you need?"

But instead of demanding something, Twilight asked a question.

"What happened to you?" The pegasus's eyes were red, her coat was grimy, she had red marks all over her back and wings, and she couldn't stop trembling.

But all the pegasus could do was whimper in response.

Moving closer, Twilight repeated the question. "What happened to you?"

However, moving closer had the exact opposite effect. The pegasus took one look at the blood on Twilight's gauntlets and panicked, running straight into the wall and knocking herself out. Sighing, Twilight used her magic to levitate the unconscious pegasus onto her bed. "Rainbow Dash," Twilight called out, walking back to the mirror. "Get in here."

Rainbow Dash burst through the door in a fighting stance, looking around for enemies. When she saw the yellow pegasus on Twilight's bed, she charged, only to be halted by Twilight's magic.

"She's not a threat, Captain. Why are you so violent all the time?"

"Hmph. I'm a soldier. It's my job to be violent. Why'd you call me in here?" Rainbow Dash asked, still shooting suspicious glances at the pony on the bed.

"I need help with my gauntlets," replied Twilight. "They're stuck."

"Isn't that what hoofmaidens are for?" Dash asked scathingly. "I'm a Captain. I'm a warrior, not some servant."

"Well, seeing as my hoofmaiden is unconscious on my bed, I don't care if you don't want to. You're my friend, and friends help each other. Plus, I could always report you for failing to obey a command." Twilight replied dryly, ignoring Rainbow's complaints.

"Fine." Rainbow Dash grumbled, walking over to Twilight's outstretched hoof.

"Good servant.” Twilight said with a teasing smirk on her face, almost like she was daring Dash to refuse.

"Eew, draconequus blood. It smells bad.” Rainbow whined as she yanked the first gauntlet off and set it on the floor.

"I don't care.” replied Twilight. "And be more careful. Pulling my gauntlet off hurt my hoof."

"Oh, so now the Princess is stuck up and whiny.” Rainbow Dash teased Twilight, laughing internally at her angry expression. But then Twilight's face turned into a mask of calm as she summoned her Shadowblades, which were still stained with Discord's blood.

"Care to repeat that comment, Captain Dash?" The blades now hovered in front of Twilight, aimed directly at Rainbow Dash's heart.

"No, Twilight," Rainbow mumbled meekly.

"What did you call me?" Twilight exclaimed as the blades inched towards Rainbow Dash, who backed up as they approached.

"S-sorry Princess Sparkle." Rainbow Dash bowed down, still inching away from the Shadowblades.

The Shadowblades retreated and dissipated. "Apology accepted, Captain Dash. You need to learn respect for the Royals."

"Yes, Princess. I'll do my best."

Good. You better."

Rainbow Dash looked confused as Twilight then promptly fell over laughing. "What was that about?"

"You should've seen your face! That was priceless!"

"That was mean. That was just mean." Rainbow Dash turned away from the incapacitated-by-laughter Twilight.

Still laughing, Twilight replied as best she could. "Not mean, just evil!"

"Grr. Not funny," an angry Rainbow Dash snarled over her shoulder in the general direction of Twilight.

“Yes, funny!" Twilight exclaimed happily, pleased with how well Dash had been scared.

"Not funny. At all."

"Very funny. Totally."

"No!"

"Yes!"

"No!"

"Yes! This is pointless, by the way. As a princess, my opinion is always right."

"What? That doesn't make any sense!"

"Um," a small voice interjected, but neither of the arguing ponies noticed. So the voice tried again. "Um, please stop fighting." Once again, the voice went unnoticed. "Stop fighting. Now.” the voice said assertively.

Both Twilight and Rainbow Dash froze. They slowly pivoted to face the bed, and were captured in an unforgiving stare. After a long moment, the stare stopped and Twilight spoke. "Um, Captain? Would you mind leaving?"

"Not at all," was the reply as Rainbow stepped out of the room.

After Rainbow Dash left the room, Twilight stepped forward cautiously, making sure not to startle the poor pegasus. In as gentle of a voice as she could muster, Twilight asked the same question she had asked earlier. "What happened to you?"

The pegasus replied in a small, trembling voice. "I got in trouble."

"What for?" Twilight had a confused look on her face. As far as she knew, the pegasus's only job was that of her hoofmaiden, and how did a pony as shy as her get in trouble?

"Do you remember the blanket and cloak you gave me?"

Yes, Twilight remembered. The cloak was old, and she hadn't needed the blanket, so she had given them to her hoofmaiden.

"They were found during a chamber search, and the ponies thought that I had stolen them." The words came out in a rush.

"And you got in trouble?" Twilight asked, hoping for some more information.

The yellow pegasus nodded. "I got beaten, too. I tried to explain, but they said I was lying." By now, tears were flowing down her face as she told this all to Twilight. She knew that she was crying in front of the Princess, and that she might get in trouble, but she couldn't help it. "I'm sorry," she blubbered frantically as Twilight moved closer. "I don't mean to cry."

But all Twilight did was hug her, gently wrapping her hooves around the distraught pegasus. "Shh, shh. It's okay," Twilight said as she attempted to sooth her. "What's your name?"

"Fluttershy," the pegasus managed to get out between gasping sobs.

"Shh, it's okay. Don't worry, I'll explain it all. You'll get your things back, and the pony who beat you will get talked to. It'll be fine," Twilight said as her horn begin to glow with a soft pink light that had no hints of dark magic.

Fluttershy gasped as she felt a faint warmth on her back. Turning her head, she noticed a faint pink mist that had spread over her beaten up back and wings, soothing her injuries. "Thank you," Fluttershy said. "But you really didn't need to do that."

Giving Fluttershy a smile, Twilight responded, "Friends take care of each other, no matter what."

Author's Note:

I have ideas on how the rest of the Main 6 are coming in, but reader feedback is always appreciated!