• Published 13th Aug 2015
  • 1,890 Views, 71 Comments

Starlight - ThePrinceOfTheNorth



So, I went to bed 23rd last month, nothing out of the ordinary. I wake up on my birthday a Pegasus, and a girl. On top of that, everyone else is gone. Could be worse.

  • ...
14
 71
 1,890

Chapter 7: Dream

After leaving Teacup and my things with Double, I flew onwards to Winnipeg, arriving just before sunset and, by some sheer stroke of dumb luck, I managed to rightly stumble upon exactly what I was looking for. Engine No. 3, a steam locomotive that has been running since the late 1800s.

While there was still light out, I decided to take a look around. Thankfully, Prairie Dog Central kept a rather hefty supply of coal for the train, and I loaded as much into the coal car as could possibly fit. That took a few hours, and the sun had disappeared beyond the horizon.

Satisfied with my preparations for the day, and knowing of what I would do tomorrow, I entered one of the cars. I realized now that going so long without sleep was either a skill, or only worked when I was at altitude. Regardless, I was out like a light before I even knew it.


I was laying on a cloud, the night sky stretching up above me, and the world stretching out below me to every horizon. I saw the castle on the mountain, just as I had whenever I had slept before. The difference here was that I'd never dreamt I was on a cloud.

Nor had I actually felt the dream.

I could feel the wind blowing though the sky around me, as if it were a sentient being enveloping me in a hug that would never end. It was warm, but cold at the same time. It was moist, but dry. It felt like so many different things as it blew though my fur and my star-spangled mane, rushing past like a hurricane, but at the same time, like nothing more than a gentle breeze.

That's when I saw her.

She was seated on a cloud, not too very far from me. Even from this distance, I could tell her and I shared some similarities. She was about as big as I was, though perhaps she tad bigger than I. She had a mane so much like mine, but lighter. Her fur was a brilliant shade of dark blue, maybe royal or midnight? I couldn't say for sure. The few differences she had from me consisted of little more than two things, but two important things; her horn, and her attire. She wore a collar with the crescent moon upon it, and shoes that seemed made just for her. But those told me little. Her tiara told me volumes.

Obviously she was some kind of royal pony, being both and Pegasus and a Unicorn. What species was she, though? I felt like I knew the answer to this one!

"Hello, Starlight Waltz," she said in a tone that was the absolute definition of both regality and beauty, "Do you know whose presence you now find yourself in?"

I noticed her butt mark at that moment. It was a lot like mine. Still, to try to answer her question, my mind fluttered back to that dream I'd had before I woke up like this. I swear there was.... a picture! Yes, there was a painting on one of the walls that had a brass nameplate. I focused on the memory.

"You're Princess Luna," I said, the name finally coming back to me, scanning my memory of that dream. It felt like I knew her from it, but not just because of that picture. I knew everything in that dream wasn't real....or was it?

"Luna," I asked, to which she raised a brow, but allowed me to continue, "Before I woke like....this, I dreamt that I was on a train, going to a place called Alexandria. I don't know what any of it means, and I've been inwardly wondering about it for a long while now."

Luna looked as perplexed as I felt at that moment. "I cannot say for sure, but you might have been granted a glimpse of your future."

"I had a horn in it," I said, "Does that mean I'll end up like you?"

"An Alicorn," Luna asked, now looking puzzled, "Clearly you aspire to great things, Starlight. You might very well become like me, in time. Still, you remind me of a pony, not one I am overly fond of."

I could tell this was a touchy topic for her, so I moved on to another. "So, back in the waking world, can I do what I'm doing now? With the cloud?"

Luna smiled. "You need to find that out on your own. I recall another pony, one I met not too long ago. It seemed she hadn't yet figured out flight. From what I can tell, you've met her."

"Stormy," I asked, to which Luna nodded, "She seemed like a nice pony."

Luna nodded, and moved on to something else, something that looked to worry her, "I have noticed you don't sleep much."

I nodded. "I don't feel tired much, either. In fact, I feel different at night than I do at day. It's....hard to describe."

"It feels like you can do anything your heart desires," Luna said, "And that there's not one thing that can stop you."

"That's....actually a pretty good description of it," I said, "Wait, how...."

"It is how I feel in my night," Luna said, "It is because I am Princess of the Night. That is why I can see into your dreams, and speak with you. It's is odd, though. In all my many years, never have I encounter another with as strong a connection to the night as I."

"What makes you say that," I asked.

"How you feel at night," Luna said, "Stronger. More powerful. Then there is the dream. You see before you Equestria, a kingdom ruled by myself and my older sister, Celestia."

"Princess of the Sun, right," I assumed, to which Luna nodded.

"You catch on quickly."

"It's a skill," I said, smiling brightly, "I pride myself on it."

Luna nodded, the continued. "I've noticed most of the ponies of your world dream of the day. YOU, Starlight, are the only one who dreams of the beauty of the night, not the fear and terrors hiding in the dark it brings."

"I know of what's out there at night," I said, recalling the howling of packs of wolves, "I've always taken my size for granted. I think they're either too afraid to attack me, or are smart enough not to."

"Both are likely," Luna said, "As time goes on, you might find more than just you have changed."

We sat there for awhile, both quiet, just listening to the wind, feeling it run though my fur gave me the same feeling I had when I'd finally decided to move on.

""Luna," I began, "Is there a proper name for this thing?" I pointed to my butt mark.

"It's called a cutie mark," Luna explained, "It exists to tell other ponies what you are best at. What your calling is. It seems yours has to do with the night."

As if at the same time, both I and Luna looked over to the horizon to see the sun was rising.

"It appears this dream is coming to an end," Luna said.

"I guess so," I said, "It was nice to talk to you, though, Princess Luna."

"You may call me Luna if you prefer it," Luna said.

I nodded. "One last question. Is any of this real, or is it all just a dream?"

Luna looked at me, a smile on her face. "Just because this is only a dream, doesn't make in any less real."

"Well, thank you, Luna," I said with as formal a bow as I could manage, "I did enjoy our little talk, and hope it isn't the last one we have."

"I enjoyed it too," Luna said, also bowing, "It was nice to meet somepony so like me, and one who's acclimatizing to their new world so well. I do hope we can speak again as well."

I gave Luna a smile and a nod, then the sun peaked above the eastern horizon, and all faded to white.

Author's Note:

Listened to Pied Pipers - Dreams for this chapter. A good choice.

Starring Princess Luna as Dumbledore!