• Published 9th Aug 2015
  • 1,345 Views, 34 Comments

Civilizations Collide - Charx



A probe is sent to a newly discovered planet that was found to contain organic compounds. This planet was named Kepler 50-31b, but you may know it as Equus

  • ...
16
 34
 1,345

Prologue

The Golden Record. Messages From Earth, including 115 images and and innumerable recordings, such as greetings in 55 different languages, all spoken by the species that was hopeful enough to think that they could communicate across light-years of empty space.

The original recordings was carried by advanced spacecraft, called 'Voyager', 1 and 2. These craft were designed to fly through the endless expanse of the cosmos, eventually shutting down and lying dormant for whomever may find them.

But decades after they were launched, when they were far past the solar system of their origin, the third Voyager mission was made. It carried a Golden Record as well. However, this mission would not be launched, but rather sent, through an artificial wormhole, to one specific planet. You may know it as Equus, but the species who created the record (humans, as they were called) assigned it a boring, scientific name. Kepler 50-31b, while a boring name, was accurate and better for filing than 'Equus' was. It was named as such because it was discovered by the Kepler 50 satellite (launched in the year 2050). Normally, this wouldn't matter, it would just be another name on a list of exoplanets, as humans didn't have the ability to traverse the great distance that separated planets. But this one had unusually high concentrations of organic molecules, and now humans did have the capability to traverse the light-years, due to one amazing discovery.

50 years ago, sometime in the 2020s, a scientific discovery at the Large Hadron Collider was made. Now, mind you, the humans of that era thought themselves very smart, so when this discovery disproved the widely accepted 'Big Bang Theory', everyone was floored. Now, being as smart as they thought they were, the 'Rainbow Gravity' theory was immediately brought forth and found to be accurate and true. The universe was indeed infinite, and it was a lot easier to create a miniature black hole than everyone thought it was (the collider had done just that, but according to the Big Bang Theory, it should have been impossible, obviously making that theory false).

But after the initial shock wore in, everyone realized the true magnitude of this. They had created a black hole!! Was it perhaps possible to create a, a wormhole?? Surely if they could rip a hole in space-time, they could bend it to their will as well.

And now we arrive at the year 2078, where the third 'Voyager' mission began. The name was mostly symbolic, yes, but that did nothing to lessen the greatness of its mission. To travel to Kepler 50-31b, otherwise known as Equus.

What it found, well, you'll have to sit down for this story.

Author's Note:

And so it begins.....