• Published 26th May 2012
  • 1,283 Views, 6 Comments

A Lesson in Magic - OkieDokieLokie



Cheerilee teaches her students about the magic that all Ponies have.

  • ...
1
 6
 1,283

Rarity

After school, Sweetie Belle walked into The Carousel Boutique, her big sister Rarity’s business, and home. Sweetie wished Rarity still lived at home with her, but she understood that living in one’s place of business cut down on commute time, and allowed Ponies more flexible working hours. She hoped that her sister had time to chat, because Cheerilee’s lesson left her with a few questions. “Hay, Sis, are you busy?” she asked.
“I think I can spare a few minutes for my beloved little sister.” Rarity had been much nicer to Sweetie Belle since they had competed in The Sisterhooves Social. “What do you need, dear?”
“We learned about magic in school today, and Miss Cheerilee said that most Ponies have the same amount of magic. But Twilight Sparkle has way more magic than you do-” Sweetie didn’t get to finish her thought.
“Oh, you think so, do you?” Rarity looked angry at having her magical abilities called into question.
“Well, yeah, she can doo all sorts of cool spells, and she lifted an Ursa Minor, and she gave you wings, and-” Rarity cut her off again.
“Well, can Twilight Sparkle do this?” She closed her eyes, and her horn began to glow white. Suddenly, Rarity’s dressmaking dummies all jumped to life. She moved them in an elegant waltz, dancing to a melody that Rarity hummed. Sweetie Belle watched, mesmerized. Then, bolts of cloth, spools of thread, and chests of gems joined in the dance. After the song ended, Rarity put all of her items back in their original positions. To Sweetie’s amazement, Rarity had done the whole thing with her eyes closed. “No, she can’t.”
All Sweetie could say was, “Wow.”
“I know Twilight may seem more powerful than I, but that’s because we use different styles. Twilight can do many spells, but she stumbles with intricate details like what you just saw. My levitation spell is very strong, and my gem-finding spell is intuitive, but I struggle with more powerful magic. Do you understand now, Sweetie Bell?”
“I think so, Sis. Thanks for explaining it to me.”