• Published 19th Sep 2015
  • 583 Views, 4 Comments

The Eternal Night - unicorn724



What happens when Nightmare Moon returns and has Supporters?

  • ...
 4
 583

Chapter 3 (Revised)

Author's Note:

Shooting Star's thoughts have been italicized

Hey, readers thank you for reading my story. I wanted to say if anyone has any ideas they would like to see in the story feel free to let me, just pm me.

The evacuation of the thestrals went according to plan other than a colt sneaking away from home a few hours before nightfall. Star was back with her ponies guiding them to their new home. She had done as much as possible at the palace including setting up spells to keep ponies out of her room and office as well as Luna's in case she had missed anything important or too large to get out of the castle.

After a few weeks of travel, the last group had finally made it to the city. It was a system of caves high up on the mountains bordering the north of Equestria. The caves had been used by their ancestors before Luna had found them. There were many levels in the system as well as water springs and streams running throughout. Since the first two groups of guards got there a few small buildings had been built around the entrance. The guards had worked had to make the caves more home-like and to gather food for the ponies that would be arriving.

During the time the thestrals were here Star would go back to Equestria and sneak around the palace and where Celestia was building her new castle in Canterlot. While sneaking around one day she came across Starswirl the Bearded and Celestia talking. Since Luna's banishment, Starswirl's health had been deteriorating to the point that he was bedridden. Star knew it wouldn't be long before he passed, She did feel bad for him, Celestia and Luna were like daughters to him, though he would never admit it. They had gotten closer to him than anypony else and losing Luna had taken its toll on him.

"Celestia there is something I must tell you. I have seen it in the stars. Luna will return. On the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars will aid in her escape and she will bring about nighttime eternal. Do not worry though it can be prevented. There will be others able to wield the elements to stop her. " Celestia left after thanking him for the good news. But at least Star knew when her princess would return.

Starswirl stared at the spot where Star was hiding. "Shooting Star. I know you there please come out so that we can talk." Shocked that someone had discovered her she stepped out into the room. "I would like to be able to see all of you, not just what you let others see, take the spell off of your wings."

"I cannot say that I am surprised you knew. It is nice to be able to talk to you again Starswirl. Since you know about the wings, can you tell me why I have them? Why I suddenly became an alicorn the moment Luna was banished."

"Do you know about the Alicorn Rule? It states that there must be two alicorns. When Luna left the Elements needed another alicorn. They typically choose somepony close to the old alicorn. Did you know that alicorns that ascend later in life do not receive immortality, they are long-lived but will eventually pass. However, being chosen like you have, I do not know what will happen."

"How do you know this? I doubt it is written anywhere and Celestia is too much of an airhead to know this."

"Child I have been around since before Equestria was founded. I have seen the rise of the pony tribes and the fall of the alicorns. I walked this earth when the alicorns ruled. Why do you think I always were the cape. Nopony treats you normally when you have wings."

"You ascended, You're an alicorn!" Starswirl simply nodded before falling asleep leaving Shooting Star to ponder this new information.

Over the next thousand years Shooting Star kept the thestrals safe and thriving. Building up the race for when their Princess would return. She taught and trained all of the descendants of her friends even getting the mares to join the guard. After a few centuries, she had built the guard up enough to overthrow Celestia when the time came.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1,000 years after the banishment of Nightmare Moon (Ponyvillie Shooting Star's point of view)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I watched the night sky, I knew my queen was going to return.

Ponies were starting to file into the town hall where Princess Celestia would raise the sun celebrating the 1,000-year anniversary of the Summer Sun Celebration. I still can't believe she made a holiday out of her own sister's banishment. At the moment I was a royal guard, it was my job to keep the ponies under control and protect the princess. Blah. Oh, protect our precious Princess from everything that might hurt her. The only reason I joined her guard was to keep an eye her and to keep up with modern times. It wouldn't do for all of Luna's guards to have no clue what things were like nowadays. It was a boring job but it kept me in shape and gave me more training. And I was able to get thestrals disguised and placed in the guard. The hall was filling up quickly and it was time to get in place, right by the main doors.

The ponies were watching the balcony as Mayor Mare said " Fillies and Gentlecolts, as mayor of Ponyville, it is my great pleasure to announce the beginning of the Summer Sun Celebration! In just a few moments our town will witness the magic of the sunrise and celebrate this the longest day of the year! And now it is my great honor to introduce to you the ruler of our land the very pony who gives us the sun and moon each and every day, the good the wise the bringer of harmony to all of Equestria Princess Celestia!' God I always hate that part. Go ahead talk it up, it will be that much better when she falls. But when it was time to raise the sun nothing happened, no sun no princess. Many of the ponies were surprised that Celestia wasn't there. Coward. I cant say that I'm surprised. Shes probably hiding in her castle surrounded by her guards.

After a few moments of nothing a purple mist filled the spot where the princess should have been, a large black alicorn soon took its place. All the ponies had horrified faces, not knowing what was happening."Oh, my beloved subjects, it has been so long since I have seen your precious little sun-loving faces," the black alicorn spat. Throughout the crowd, there were shouts of question, asking what she had done with their princess. Laughing the black alicorn said "Why am I not royal enough for you? Don't you know who I am? Does my crown no longer count now that I have been imprisoned for a thousand years? Did you not recall the legend? Did you not see the signs?"

"I did and I know who are. You're the mare in the moon, Nightmare Moon," a violet pony said.

"Well, well, well, somepony who remembers me. Then you also know why I am here."

"You're here to, to..."

"You are here to bring about the eternal night as Queen of Equestria," I said making my way towards her and bowing.

“Do you think I want the affection of Celestia's guards, even if you praise me," the alicorn spat.

"Aw, My Queen. But you always loved my attention. I'm surprised that you forgot me." I said changing into my normal form and Night Guard armor.