• Published 30th Jul 2015
  • 1,209 Views, 16 Comments

Warped Mind - TheUnknownPerson



Shining Armor has done the things he'd never thought he'd do; not only has he betrayed his kingdom, but his wife and sister as well. What has Queen Chrysalis done to him to cause him to do such rash things?/// - Sequel to "Broken Armor".

  • ...
4
 16
 1,209

Breakthrough

Shining Armor trotted up the staircase, staring down at the ground. He trotted up the staircase in silence.

Did I... really just lie for Taltra? To Queen Chrysalis, of all changelings? Shining shook his head. Stupid- I should turn around and--

Shining collided snouts with another pony. He stumbled back, catching himself on the stair's rail, thankfully.

"Oof..."

Shining rubbed his snout before he looked up. Taltra was sat on the top stair, rubbing the top of her head. Papers and books were littered across the stairwell. Luckily, they were relatively still close.

"Sorry. I didn't see you there." Shining stood, picking up one of the blank books. "Let me help you pick this stuff up."

"No. I can get it." Taltra hastily stood. Her horn lightened, as the papers magically resorted themselves with a dark-green telekinetic cloud. She quickly took the book from Shining, grabbing the other two blank books and stacking the papers atop of them. The cloud enveloped the whole stack, floating beside her.

"Um... all right," Shining said, confused. "Taltra, about this morning..."

"Shining Armor, please don't bring up my past."

"No- I was just going to apologize. I shouldn't have let my curiousity get the best of me."

"Oh..." Taltra stopped, biting down on her quivering lower lip. "Well, thank you. I have to go."

Taltra trotted passed Shining slowly. He saw a single tear roll down her right cheek.

"Taltra?"

She stopped, glancing back to Shining.

"I-I have to go." Taltra said, her voice cracking mid-sentence. She swung her head, her mane covering her face and trotted towards the staircase. Shining gently grabbed her left fore-hoof, causing her to stop.

"What is the matter?"

"I can't speak of it... it-it's far behind me."

Shining looked down the stairwell, reminding himself that Queen Chrysalis was just a few feet away and would certainly hear them.

"Look; we could go into my or your room and shut the door. There'd be no way she could hear us." Shining offered. Taltra reminded silent for a moment.

"I... no. I need to go." Taltra said, pushing Shining's hoof away and hastily trotted down the stairway. Shining tried to stop her again, but failed. He sighed.

I wish she'd tell me why she's like this already.

Shining was about to trot back to his room, however, his hoof laid on an unfamiliar surface. He looked down, seeing a small piece of paper laying beneath his right fore-hoof. He held the paper up to eye level(using his magic). There was a small colt, standing in the middle of two sets of hooves. He leaning against the set of hooves to the left, nuzzling it affectionately. His mane curled upwards, with a white streak up the middle of his black mane. The picture was cut off at his waist, near his cutie-mark.

Is this the bottom portion of that portrait? Shining pondered. I think it is. Did Taltra drop this when she and I bumped into each other?

---

"I'll see you later, Applejack. I have to get back to my research."

"Alrighty, Twi'. Good luck."

Twilight Sparkle stepped outside of the dining room, the conversation of what had happened over the past few days with Applejack still fresh on her mind. She held her notebook under her shoulder as she trotted down the hallway. However, she was stopped by a guard before she could get too far.

"Your highness, the pony you found inside your room this morning requests that you speak to him. He says that he'd like to explain himself to you in person."

"Okay. I'll speak to him in a while after I finish my research."

"Of course, your highness. Thank you." The guard said as he bowed. Twilight nodded as the guard rose and trotted away.

I'll research for a bit, then get around to visiting him somewhere around noon. Twilight told herself as she trotted down the hallway, towards the staircase. She trotted up the staircase and turned to the right, passing by her room and towards The Archives.

I'm glad I woke up when I did. Otherwise...

Twilight didn't finish. She already knew very well of what'd happen if she lost her notes; there'd be little chance of her scrounging up a counter-spell before Shining Armor would fully transform.

Don't worry about that, Twilight. Your notes are safe; you still have some time left. She reminded herself as she trotted up to The Archives' entrance and pushed the door open.

---

"I can help, you know. I know you've been awake for probably... over 24 hours."

Lance, stubborn as ever, refused to move. She pushed up on the doorknob as Blooming and I stood closely behind.

"Nah-" Lance grunted as she pushed up against the door knob, trying the force it open. "I'm all good to get this door open. You're the one who needs to take it easy."

"I'm not useless, you know. Even though I'm still a bit weak from it, I can still handle myself. Now move over, let me give it try."

"You sure?"

"Yeah. Now, let's get this door open and get inside." I said. Lance trotted out of the way of the door. I trotted up to the door, pushing up on the knob with my right left fore-hoof and using the rest of my body to push against the door.

Crack

The door forcefully opened, noticing a small, round, yet triangular piece of metal falling out from the side of the doorway as I trotted in. Four large, wooden support beams holding up the sealing had collapsed in, filling every corner of the room with sunlight. Broken wooden boards littered the area, formerly apart of the upper floor of the large house.

"Okay... a bit broke down, but inhabitable. Hopefully."

"I'm sure we'll be fine. I mean, what could one night in this place hurt?"

"True... but we'll need to be careful."

"All right, all right..." Lance said, stepping in beside me and trotting towards the middle of the room. I stuck closely behind- never know what could pop out at you in these abandoned houses.

Lance stumbled back, nearly falling back. She would've if I hadn't grabbed her.

"Whoa- thanks." Lance yawned.

"You really need to get some sleep."

"Why? I'm fine."

"Lance, you almost fell walking over a board... you're about to pass out." I noticed an open door at the end of the room, the exterior of a bed frame sticking out. "Look, there's a bed right there. Go get some sleep while we look for food and water."

"You're sure you won't need me?"

"Positive."

Lance yawned, stretching out her wings momentarily before her yawn dissolved into a chesty cough. "All right. Be careful and stay around Rocky, Blooming." She stepped under a fallen support beam as she trotted towards the room.

"All right Lance. Goodnight." Blooming waved to Lance as she trotted up to me.

"Goodnight..." Her speech was slurred, clearly tired. She collapsed onto the bed.

I turned and looked around the room. There was a stairwell at the right of the door, the first two stairs smashed in, and the rest of them slightly burnt.

I'd better stay down stairs... at least until Lance gets some rest so she can fly up.

Next was an open door. However, one of the wooden beams were covering it.

I think I can get into that room.

I trotted up to the beam and ducked under it, trotting into the room from beneath it. The room was mostly empty; there were wooden counters to the left and right of the room, a row of cabinets a hoof above the counter, and a row built into the counter. Even with no windows or openings inside the room, the entire room was enveloped in the warm glow of sunlight, making most of the room completely visible.

"Rocky?"

"Yeah?"

"Could I help?"

"Sure. Just watch your head." I said back to Blooming Lily. She trotted under the beam and stood beside me.

"What should I look for?"

"Some cloths, some rubbing alcohol, but especially food and water. That's what we're low on."

"Okay." Blooming said. She trotted past me and opened up one of the lower cabinets and looked inside. After a moment or two, she shut it and trotted over to the other side.

"Nothing in that one?"

"Yeah."

I nodded. I trotted over beside her and opened the first, upper cabinet. There were pieces of smashed glass and an apple.

It seems edible.

I picked up the apple by the stem using my teeth and dropped it into the bag.

Okay... so far so good.

---

Twilight sighed as she stared at her notebook paper. She hadn't made any breakthroughs, noticed any difference, or even noticed any different in the sound when casting the spell. The constant tapping of the quill hitting the paper echoed throughout the empty room.

There's got to be something I can do... I need to finish this soon. We don't even know where they have Shining. It could take days for all we know.

Twilight bent the quill for a moment before releasing her magical grip on it, causing it to fall atop of the notebook and roll off the table. As she bent down to pick it up, she glanced up at the clock above the exit to the Archives. Noon was steadfastly approaching.

Might as well go see that pony now. Not like I'm making any progress here.

Twilight grabbed the quill and sat it beside her notebook. She stood up from her chair and trotted outside the Archives. She trotted down the hallway before turning the corner and trotting down the staircase.

Now I think the dungeons right... here. Twilight said, turning and entering the dimly light room. The two changelings that had injured her days ago simply sat in their cell, giving her a cold stare when she entered. She ignored their presence and trotted to the cell beside them, seeing the pony who had been in her room this morning. He simply sat in the cell, his helmet to the side and his mane combed back behind his horn.

"Hello, your highness. Please, allow me to explain." The guard said, staring at Twilight. Twilight nodded to him.

"Thank you. You see, the reason I did what I did was to keep this kingdom safe."

"How so? You almost stole my notes; Shining Armor would be a changeling before I would be able to gather that information again."

"I-I know, but I had no choice. Queen Chrysalis would've-" The guard abruptly stopped speaking and stared at the ground.

"She would've done what? Are you working with her?" Twilight asked. The guard shamefully stared at the ground, unable to face Twilight.

"If you do not answer me, then I'm going to leave."

"No, please. I'll tell you..." The guard said. "I've been working with Queen Chrysalis. I-I felt... sympathy towards the changelings because they had been expelled from their abundant source of food. I sought them out and she accepted my help. I allowed her to absorb some of my love. But once I knew of her attack, I left her immediately. I swear!"

"You knew of the attack and you didn't tell anypony?!" Twilight clenched her hooves, angry. This whole thing could've been avoided if he would've spoken!

"I couldn't! She knew my whereabouts! I would've been killed if I had!" The guard yelled. Twilight let out a frustrated sigh.

"Fine. I understand. I'm going." Twilight said, turning to trot out of the dungeon.

"Wait! I can help you!" The guard said. Twilight trotted towards the exit, tired of the guard already.

"I know the counter-spell!"

Twilight stopped at those words. She turned to the guard.

"You do?"

"Yes... but you must promise me that I'll have the protection of the Crystal Guard."

"Yes; you will. I promise."

"Okay... the counter-spell is the spell itself." The guard said. Twilight looked at him, a bit confused.

"How?"

"All you need is a proper transformation spell and he can be transformed back into a pony. But you must cast it on him before he transforms; it'll put too much strain on his body."

"How do you know of this?"

"I overheard Queen Chrysalis talking about it with one of her guards. She had transformed a mare some years ago. From what she sad, she had been experimenting with her for years, seeing how to perfect her spell."

"Thank you. Is there anything else you may know of? Perhaps the location of their kingdom?"

"I know it's somewhere north. They had an outpost somewhere near the Crystal Empire, but I don't now it's location. That's all I know."

"Okay. Thank you again."

---

I looked down at the brown bag, feeling the weight of the food they had collected over the past hour. We had found bread, more fruits, and even bottled water!

We had cleared out the cabinets over the past hour. Blooming Lily sat beside me, nibbling on a piece of bread.

"Don't eat too much, we're still not doing great with all of it, remember?"

"Okay." Blooming took another small bite before she pulled it away from her lips.

I wonder if Lance would mind me checking in her? I mean, she could use a progress update.

"I'll be back in a moment, Blooming."

"Okay." Blooming said quietly. I trotted out of the room, ducking under the beam covering some of the doorway, and trotting past the beams collapsed in the middle of the room. There was an open door to a large bed. Lance was laying on the right side, her face and upper body illuminated by a window above the bed. The white sheet was at her side, along with her socks and scarf. Poor mare was so exhausted she didn't even pull the covers over herself. That can't be comfortable... I mean, it's cold and I'm wearing my scarf and socks. Surely she wouldn't mind if I pulled the covers over her, right?

I trotted over to the side of the bed and picked up the sheet, unraveling the sheet and lay it gently on top of her, resting my hoof on the pillow that her head had come to rest on. She moved her head towards my hoof and nuzzled it affectionately. I kept my hoof still for a moment, afraid that I'd wake her. After a moment, she stopped, before taking another breath. I gently wiped some free strands of her mane out of her eyes as I turned, about to trot away.

"Goodnight, Lance.,," I spoke in a mere whisper as I bent down and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. My face flushed with warmth as I quietly chuckled, a bit surprised at what I had done.

I-I can't believe I just did that...

---