• Published 21st Jul 2015
  • 2,505 Views, 25 Comments

FlutterPie's Beginnings - Mocha Star



Pinkie helps Fluttershy feel loved but nothing goes right, it's gonna take a lot more from them both to fill the missing pieces in their lives.

  • ...
25
 25
 2,505

Chapter 7

Pinkie hopped back from the stove as she opened the oven to see a perfect cake on the hot rack. Three tiers, each from a different type of cake, but each the shape of a butterfly. It’s because of her cutie mark if you didn’t get it, Pinkie thought then shrugged at her stray though.

“Fluttershy is gonna love this. A quick decoration and icing, then,” with a quick grab of her oven mittened hooves she threw the cake to a decorating table across the kitchen and spun hitting the oven door with her tail slamming it shut. With a pounce she left the mitts on the floor and she landed at the cake with two piping bags in her left hoof, a trowel with a huge mound of icing in her right hoof and a small backpack slung over her back.

With a motion the trowel splatted the cake with a perfect base coat of icing, dropping the trowel she tossed a piping bag to her right hoof and twisted them while they spun locking them under her forelegs. She kicked at the base of the cake with her right leg causing it to hop in the air with a slight spin.

Catching the trowel with the top of her right hoof as she lowered from the kick she swung her leg back tossing the trowel.

Squeezing her forelegs to her body icing spat from the piping bags and across the cake as it descended to the table with a light bump as Pinkie looked down to her empty icing tools and blew at the one on her left smirking as she moved and tossed them onto the table before spinning on her left leg to bow at the sink.

With a splash the trowel landed in the soapy water sending a wave of water up and onto the window looking out to the alley.

Pinkie turned back to the cake holding a box and with a huff she hopped into the air and centered the box and fell, perfectly encasing the cake as she landed. With a careful pull the cake lifted from the table as a ratchet sound emanated from Pinkie’s mane. Using her curls as a jack she raised the cake an inch from the table and slid a piece of wood slightly larger than the box under the cake and then pulled her head clear as the cake fell.

She stood back and admired her work then nodded rapidly. “Off to Fluttershy’s! Aren’t you glad I stopped talking to make this cake? Who knows what might’ve happened if I just made it and left, you might’ve gotten bored. Bored! Not on my watch.”


“Wait,” Pinkie cried as the bar fell, “Don’t you wanna know what I do with the piping bags and clean up? Am I just gonna leave this place a mess?


”But…”



”Fine, just go on and read, I’ll take care of things here by myself and leave you to guess it was done right. Because it was!”




Fluttershy turned over city hall aimed to return home as she felt somepony above her. Looking up she smiled to see Rainbow Dash grinning at her. “Hey Fluttershy, heading back from a long night at Sugarcube Corner?”

“Oh,” Fluttershy said as she wobbled in the air, “no Rainbow, it’s not like that. We-”

“Woah woah woah, it’s okay I don’t need any details. Ever. As long as you aren’t flying sideways you’re fine right?”

Fluttershy gasped and held her breath as her face flushed pink. “Rainbow Dash,” she finally said in a scolding voice as she exhaled, “you know that’s a horrible rumor and is completely untrue.”

“Hey, I don’t plan on testing it out anytime soon so I’ll have to take your word but if you start doing cart wheels in the air I’m telling everypony you’re crazy as a cover-up.”

Fluttershy gasped again as she wobbled and lost height for a few seconds before catching herself and flapping back up to Rainbow. “Rainbow, you and Twilight are just alike. Wanting to exploit my new friendship for laughs or lessons.”

“Lessons?” Rainbow asked letting her face fall neutral. “Egghead is trying to use you to learn something? What a dork. It’s good talking to ya ‘Shy but I’ve gotta date with AJ to hang out at my place tonight.” With that she turned and flew off to parts unknown to work and be herself.

Exhaling again Fluttershy began her descent and landed a few minutes walk to her cottage and began to trot, humming a soft lullaby. Critters popped their heads out from their hiding spots and homes to listen and watch their favorite pony walk past, some elated while others simply watched with detracted interest at her seemingly empty hooves and non-existent food packed saddle bags.

A small group of birds landed on a tree branch ahead of her and began to harmonize making her stop and listen with a slight nod. “That was very pretty my friends. I would love to listen more, but,” the birds began to harmonize then several chirped in time as others chirped just after creating a nice melody.

“That’s very special, I guess one song couldn’t hurt.”

Beginning an octave lower she joined them in harmonizing. An hour had passed before she realized it. “Oh, sorry my friends I have to go. I have to take care of some other critters around my cottage. I’ll see you soon though, okay?”

The birds chirped twice in unison as they flew off in their own directions leaving Fluttershy to watch them scatter. Hopping back to the path she began skipping lightly as she hummed a version of the smile song. She heard a horn blow from Ponyville but didn’t let it distract her as she continued.

Seeing her cottage as she cleared a small bunch of trees she silenced her song ending on a long held note. Another noise from Ponyville made her ears twitch but she continued to her home opened the door.

Her animals were scurrying about minding their own selves then stopped to look at her. With a smile she greeted them as they swarmed her covering her with a living blanket of affection she, at one time, could never imagine living without. “It’s so nice to see you all again. I hope you’re ready for some quality time,” she said happily as she trotted to the kitchen.

Opening a cupboard she reached in and began gathering tea and sugar while several other animals prepared a pot with water and set the table with a single saucer, cup, spoon, and extra plate.

Fluttershy turned to see the table setup and three birds standing proudly with a squirrel. “Oh it’s lovely. Thank you. Can I tell you something very exciting?”

The squirrel chirped.

“Well yes, I don’t smell anymore, thank you. But what I was going to say is I met my special somepony. Isn’t that great?”

The clatter and bustle quickly died to a deafening silence.

“I-is everything okay friends?”

A roar of animal noised bombarded her with questions and comments. She quickly placed the tea on the floor and covered her ears as they folded to her head. “Please, please be quieter,” she said firmly yet kindly.

The house silenced again and she felt her heart pounding. As she stood tall again she looked at her critters and animals and realized it wasn’t a mutual friendship. Every single critter in her house asked about who would feed them, who would care for them, who would help them.

Not one congratulations or question of who. Not one positive feeling among the bunch, except. “Angel,” Fluttershy said as her left eye freed a single tear.

He was standing tall on the couch smiling at her. He hopped to the floor and scampered quickly to her side then hopped onto her back, he walked to her neck and held her tightly. Reaching back she hugged him back and sighed with relief.

“At least one of you really loves me,” she said softly. Lowering herself she picked up her tea and trotted to the stove. Several small critters and animals moved away and let her turn on the stove as they left the room. “Thank you Angel, you’re the only one who asked me if I was happy.”

“And yes, I am. At least I think I am. It’s been a day and I’m already feeling something new, a feeling I haven’t had before. It’s a good feeling so it has to be about Pinkie being my special somepony, right?”

Angel looked at her for a second then smiled again and nodded. As Fluttershy turned to the counter she placed the tea on it and went to get some bread to toast Angel’s face turned to worry as he remembered at least a half dozen times the pink mare made nothing but trouble.

Every creature's ears turned to the direction of Ponyville as a tone came from the city followed by a clamor of screams far in the distance.

“What the hay is going on in Ponyville?” Fluttershy asked as Angel frowned and began tapping his foot. “Don’t worry Angel sweetie, whatever it is it won’t bother us. If it does the other girls will let us know so we can escape or, help if we have to.”


Pinkie had finished her small lunch of a fruit basket with a few flowers she had filled with borrowed items from across Ponyville. She was climbing down from her favorite tree to hide in when she made the town upset at one of her jokes when she decided to hop the rest of the way to the ground landing with a light puff.

She felt her mane bounce a little more than it should have as she reached up to poke then remembered she had a cake to deliver. “I have a cake to deliver,” she said looking at the tree branches above her.

The noon sunlight shone through the breaks and gaps in the leaves just enough to make her have to squint before she looked to Fluttershy’s cottage and adjusted her hat. “Time to see my ‘Shy side. Oh, I like that name.”

Turning and motioning like she was sitting on a motorcycle she moved her right hoof and imitated an engine roaring as she raised both legs and hovered in the air to her sides as she began vibrating. With a flick of her left hoof she sped off toward Fluttershy’s cottage leaving a dust cloud behind her.

Arriving in great time she hopped to the ground and trotted to the door knocking several dozen times before she looked closely at the door then shrugged. Turning and descending the path she trotted around the house spotting a bear in a bath tub. She smiled and closed her eyes, then she peeked over the bears shoulder.

“Heya mister bear, whatcha doing?”

With a startled grunt the bear looked over to see the annoying pink pony as he stood tall and faced her. Bellowing a loud roar at her she stood firm and leaned back as her body exaggeratedly recoiled from the noise.

“Wow, you should brush your teeth too. Do you know where Fluttershy is?” The bear cocked his head before his eyes darted to the forest. “Thanks mister roars a lot with bad breath,” she said waving quickly and darting in the direction he looked.

With a curious grunt he sat back down in the tub and looked at the sky imagining being a bird and flying to the clouds.

Pinkie galloped ahead into the treeline and sniffed the air. “That way,” she said cantering left. Seeing an increase in animals she knew she was going the right way. A clearing opened up and Fluttershy was at the edge looking into a small stream running through it. She was quietly sobbing, tears dropping into the water being washed away to places unknown.

Pinkie stopped at the edge of the clearing and walked slowly into the area. “Fluttershy, are you alright?” Pinkie asked softly so as to not scare her.

“M-my critters are… I can’t say it, but it’s not good Pinkie,” she sniffled as another tear dropped into the stream.

Pinkie walked slowly behind Fluttershy and sat just behind her and sighed. “They don’t love you, do they?”

Fluttershy sniffled again and looked back to see Pinkie with an air horn strapped to her head like a party hat and a sullen look on her face with a slight smile, for Fluttershy’s sake.

“Pinkie, why do you have that on your head?”

“It was my prank for the day. I was a uni-horn. But, it’s not funny anymore,” she said as she reached up and pulled it from her head, “the air’s almost gone and I don’t wanna prank you. I wanna do something else, if it’s okie dokie with you,” she said slightly reserved and softly as she placed the air horn between her forelegs.

“I don’t know, what’re you going to do?”

“Yes or not ‘Shy.”

“Yes then.”

Pinkie pressed the horn and the last air escaped sending a shocking noise that scattered all the animals away.

“Pinkie, why’d you do that?!”

“Because I can do something I’ve wanted to for a long time,” Pinkie said softening her gaze and smiling while scanning Fluttershy’s back.