• Published 15th Nov 2011
  • 5,559 Views, 78 Comments

Conflicting Emotions [Remastered Edition] - Eclipse



When Twilight comes upon something she wasn't meant to see, she's surged with a flow of emotions...

  • ...
9
 78
 5,559

Returning Desire

An infuriated pacing and wet Twilight stood taking a towel to dry herself off with. She shot occasional glances at Spike, "You know what Spike! I've have had ENOUGH! Of you, your selfishness and your DAMN MOTHERBUCKING ANTICS! I'm sorry Spike, but you've forced my hoof down upon this matter. You have given me no further decisions Spike, I'm sending you to stay with Fluttershy for the next week or two. Maybe you’ll figure yourself out or you'll never, ever, set a single foot in this library again!" Twilight's words hurt spike, piercing him like knives he tried to speak but was cut off by Twilight. "Don't even talk to me! Your negligence and jealousy have gotten the best of you! Now pack your things and go." she finished with a snort.

"B-But Twi'..." Spike said, once again cut-off by Twilight still enraged.

"NO! PACK YOUR THINGS AND GO! NO MORE EXCUSES FROM YOU SPIKE, NO MORE ANYTHING. YOUR FACES AND TRICKS WON'T WORK ON ME ANYMORE!" Twilight started to tear up kicking her friend out, but she felt that she no longer had any choice. "NOW GET OUT!" She screamed, taking Spike and throwing him out of the door harshly; making him land on his scales and on some of his jewels he'd packed along. He felt alone now, kicked out by his best friend, his eyes started to water lightly. But he eventually got up and started walking slowly away, completely unsure of where his feet would take him.

Twilight gave Rob, whom was sitting soaking wet on the floor in the middle of the library, a towel, "I'm very sorry about his actions. I don't know why he's acting like that..." Twilight finished wiping her face; lightly blushing having the dripping wet stallion standing in front of her, fulfilling her strongest fantasies of him. She quickly turned away, trying to hide her blush as the stallion started to wipe himself off.

"It's fine, just... Well… Just try to keep that scaly little bastard away from me. He doesn't seem to be too accustomed to me really..." He said wiping off his face his hair becoming messy as he did. He then sniffed the air randomly making Twilight look at him with a baffled face, "Is that alcohol I smell?" he inquired of her. Twilight blushed immediately, trying to push off the question as long as possible she went back to drying herself off. Rob caught on to what she was trying to do, "I mean it's absolutely none of my business, but why the hay do I smell alcohol?" His nostrils were flaring, trying to pinpoint the smell's point of origin. "Being from Stalliongrad, you were either a heavy drinker, or anti-alcoholic. In any case, I was neither, I liked having alcohol; but I can't hold the shit, just goes straight bucking through me. I don't think you would be able to get the meaning out of what I’m saying but still. Point is, I can't take alcohol, it gets me drunk almost instantly; I’ve not got a very high tolerance to it I guess." He chuckled continuing to wipe his eyes as a blushing Twilight watched him.

Twilight was enthralled and yet at that very same time extremely embarrassed but wanted to know more about the stallion, "Tell me more about yourself Rob. Oh, and your life in Stalliongrad, I mean what's it like there? Who did you know? Was there anything like super cool there that we don't have here?" Twilight's eyes were lit up bright and curious, questions kept flowing from the mare's mouth. "Did you have a girlfriend there? If so, what was she like? And why just 'Rob', I mean, well… Don't you have a last name you can use too?" Twilight's last question sparked something in his mind, his eyes saddened and he lowered his head. Twilight boasted to herself thrashing her head around whilst Rob was lost in his thoughts, 'You idiot! You’re driving him away! What is your problem Twilight Sparkle! Get it together, you can do this... You can do this.' Twilight sighed lowly as Rob picked his head back up, his eyes becoming level with hers once again.

Rob looked up slowly, "You know, I... I'd rather not talk about it. Just 'Rob' that's all, no last names, no nicknames; just 'Rob'..." His words were pressed against a thick wall of depression hanging around him; as if all the happiness had been sucked out of him by that single stupid question that Twilight had asked. "I'm sorry, I'm just, kind of, you know, venting in my own mind... I'm not really being very responsive am I? I'll answer absolutely all of your questions but the last one, that one I'd really rather steer clear of..." He sighed and started talking to her, his face was no longer showing emotion, and Twilight took notice in this, but didn’t want to blow any other chance that she might have with him. So Twilight sat and listened hoping that having somepony to talk to would comfort the stallion; which it slightly did seeing as she hadn't started bursting into laughter yet.

"Well Stalliongrad..." He began, "It's not really the best place to live you know? Not everypony is as nice as they are here. Actually, a lot of the ponies over there are either obnoxious tourists, or just babbling drunks going around town looking for a fight, so there was plenty of violence over there. Nopony who got taken out on an alcohol abuse charge ever showed up again, we were thinking that they took them away to a special prison. But, we found eventually we were just being naïve; they’d actually been taken out and shot by the officers. That's how it all goes down over in Stalliongrad, it's not the most efficient way. But there are guys overrunning that place; most of them are nice guys, but then again, a lot were just coming in for the booze, hoping to get away with a fight or two. Didn't happen, tourists, or residents; didn't matter, they shot you anyways. It's not like they cared about their lives anyways, most of the police were just assholes. They always tried to pick a fight with me; I couldn't really fight back because I kind of valued my life. But it's pretty gruesome over there, the real reason I started anew was because they wanted me to do things that I really didn't want to, so I saved money for a ticket here. But I didn't bring enough, so that's when I got the job offer. I’ve been a happily employed stallion since I got here. Well, until my boss passed away, but that’s another story," His smile lightly picked up, dimples forming slightly in his cheeks. "I guess it does feel pretty good to get that off my chest now, nopony's really ever cared for my story. Thanks for listening to me, I appreciate you listening and not losing interest." He smiled at the lavender unicorn, making her blush slightly.

"Oh no, It was my pleasure really. It must've been hard living in those kinds of primitive conditions." Twilight's eyes widened. "Plus you still never told me if you had a girlfriend there, you're skimping out on the stories Robbie buddy." Twilight chuckled slightly as Rob's face changed to one of embarrassment.

"I-I knew that! I was just waiting, is all..." He cleared his throat and brushed his cheek trying to hide his embarrassment from Twilight, "Yeah, well, the conditions of the town or city, or whatever that bucking place is considered, were as you would say, shitty. The accommodations were pretty bad too, I mean like nopony there was truly happy, they were only there to either drink heavily, or just because they just couldn't go anywhere else. For the record, there was this girl I was interested in; she didn't really take notice in me a whole lot though." Rob sighed looking to his side, "It appears nopony's really taken an interest in me except for you. I've never been asked how my life was really, everypony assumed I'm always okay. I'm really... just... not though. I hated my time in Stalliongrad, besides a few memorable moments I’d had there. Like there was this awesome painter that showed up one time, he said he was looking for a model and would pay quite a bit, so I accepted. His style of art was amazing; it really captured the atmosphere around the pony he drew. I haven't seen him since though. He was a cool stallion; I wish I would've asked where he lived..." He lowered his head remembering the mare-framed stallion, that he’d not seen since he arrived that one time in Stalliongrad.

Twilight cleared her throat, "Would his name happen to be Paint Splatter by any chance?" She asked, Rob's ears perking up at the sound of the name.

"Well, yeah... Is he really that popular that everypony knows him?" His eyes looking into the mare's awaiting an answer from her.

"Well no, not really but, he's been a resident here in Ponyville for a couple of months. He lives with his 'friend' on the edge of town. I use the term 'friend' extremely loosely though, because his 'friend' is always blaming Paint. That's not what friends do, but he's sticks with him, thick and thin they stayed together. He has kicked him out before, but he usually let's him return after a few days, sometimes on the very same day. Not sure why he would want to let that degenerate stallion back in though." she concluded, her face turning to a stern look.

Rob's eyes shot a cocky look at Twilight, "Kind of like Spike and the incident tonight?" he said as he chuckled a bit.

Twilight blushed, "I would suppose so," she said blushing immensely embarrassed at what Rob had just pointed out to her.

Rob chuckled light-heartedly, "I don't mind, he's just protective of you Twilight. I could see it in his eyes, thinking I’ve come to whisk you away from him."

Twilight blushed, for that's exactly what she wanted, for Rob to confess he likes her so it isn't too dreadfully awkward. Rob just kept staring at the mare, her eyes focused on him, unchanging showing complete interest in him.

Rob cracked a awkward smile, "I really should get going now," he said standing up and beginning to walk to the exit of the library.

Twilight ran to him, "Please don't go... Couldn't you stay here...? With me?" she asked him, her question coming off as slightly awkward as the stallion got a worried look in his eyes.

Rob blushed slightly, "Well you know... I really should get back to work you know... A lot to do... you know how it is right?" he said awkwardly, now making excuses to get away from the mare. Looking into the mare's eyes, seeing how sadness and depression emanated and formed inside of her.

Twlight sniffled, "I understand... I won't hold you up any longer then..." she plopped onto her hind legs, and then laid there on the ground. Feeling the very lonely and sad feeling she had a week ago. She felt so helpless. She'd thought she'd finally found somepony to curb her feelings, and she's letting him waltz out the front door. But she figured straining the atmosphere would only hurt the 'relationship' more so than she already had with the one awkward question about his last name.

Rob's eyes connected with Twilight's, their faces sharing each other's despair. Rob looked up and spoke, "Twilight, I'm sorry. It's late, and I really should be going. I'll come back tomorrow for the books I need, no point in troubling you tonight. I'm sorry I wasted so much of your time tonight Twilight." Rob with that turned out the door, leaving the mare to look pathetic upon the cold, hard, library floor. Rob getting one last glance at the lavender beauty before the door closed abruptly by Twilight's magic. He kept walking home, harboring feelings he'd not done something right; maybe he should have stayed with her. He shook the thoughts out of his head and blushed, as he proceeded home to prepare for his next few days at work.

Twilight was left on the floor of the library, crying her eyes out she'd probably ruined her one chance to get a stallion to like her. 'STUPID! You let him walk right out the door, you didn't put up a fight! You have to fight for what you want! Twilight Sparkle, you need to start being a fighter!' The lavender mare sighed, and turned to the alcohol that had arrived while Rob was still lost in his stories. Twilight stood up looking at the bottles of cider, she hadn't thought of drinking any while Rob was over, but now that he had left her crying, she felt she needed the sweet soothing liquid to calm her nerves and dry her tears.

Twilight grabbed a bottle, "Cider, you'll always be my favorite friend...." She gulped down the cider in one go and felt nothing, developing a tolerance from the cider; after ingesting it like water. "You'd never leave me alcohol... You'll always be there for me, you'll never grow legs and walk out the door. You'll never try to ruin my love life... You're all I need now alcohol..." She kept drinking one after another of the cider, which inadvertently had no effect on her. She kept drinking her sorrows away, trying to cleanse them in the sweet nectar, hoping that she would drink all of her thoughts and memories away. Destroying the images of Rob leaving her hopeless and crying on the floor of the cold library.

She started swaying, she thought she had a nice buzz going on. She'd noticed she had drank ten of the twenty cases of alcohol. She thought she was getting used to it, but she felt a pain, a sharp pain stabbing into her stomach. Her face cringed and conterted in as she sway around the library knocking around books, dropping notes, and letters to Celestia. Twilight started to sway lightly and all she managed to say before passing out cold onto the floor was, “Oh motherbucker…”