• Published 23rd May 2012
  • 1,715 Views, 82 Comments

Jammin' Gemini - Aragem



Ponyville prepares for Winter Welcome, but two guest arrive who aren't what they seem.

  • ...
3
 82
 1,715

Parties and Schools

When Jelly was Mikala, she lived on a colony planet. On a colony, basic needs were provided by corporation supporting the colony. Food, water, and power were provided, even clothes. But the clothes were coveralls and they came in different colors designating what your job was. When Mikala was young, she mostly wore blue coveralls for being a student. Clothes from the Haven retail stores were luxuries that came from the colonist’s own pocket. When she graduated high school, she attended the local college where a uniform was provided, and when she quit college and joined the military, another uniform was provided.

Now she had tried on clothes before, but only to see if they fit. Never before had she tried clothes just to see how they look, if they went with her eyes, or complimented her figure. And the accessories! Would this tiara look good with this dress? If it did, the dress didn’t bring out the color of her eyes, and how about that ribbon? Would her hair look good worn down or pulled back or braided?

“Hmm, the pink makes you look foalish.”

Her heart fell. Did Rarity referred to her as foalish because of her markless flank? At least the long skirts she had her try covered her flank. “I really don’t need anything too fancy.”

“Nonsense, dear. It may not be Canterlot, but that is no reason not to be glamorous. Let’s try yellow.” Rarity had a pair of glasses perched on her nose and her horn glowed blue as she removed the pink frilly dress from Jelly’s body and replaced it with a yellow dress.

As the ribbon tied into place, Jelly glanced at Rarity’s bald headed cat. It wore a little cat with an oversize bow. She knew it was bald when it leapt down from a shelf, its hat flew off. Rarity quickly slapped it back on with her magic before Jelly could get a really good look. “Uh, Opal had an accident,” she had said quickly before throwing a dress onto her torso.

“I know! Purple!” Rarity turned to trot to the back. “I have just the thing in the back. Don’t move, I’ll be right back.”

“Uh, okay.” Jelly was left alone on a dress shop full of dressed and undressed pony mannequins and a bald cat with a ridiculous hat glared at her. She shifted her legs careful, not wanting to wrinkle the dress. She wondered what Victory was doing now? Maybe planning the siege she was certain to visit upon this planet. No, she tried not to think about it. They were here to do things peacefully.

The dress shop door open and a stallion walked in carrying a basket of decorations in his mouth and on his back was a grey color foal. The foal was the smallest that Jelly had seen yet, and she realized that it was because it was very young, almost an infant.

The stallion set the basket down and looked around, likely looking for Rarity. He spotted her, “Uh, sorry, I’m looking for Rarity?”

“She’s in the back getting a dress.” Jelly motioned toward the door. “I don’t think she’ll be long.”

“Just tell her that Smokey brought these for her. They are left overs for the street decorations.”

“I will,” Jelly promised.

Smokey looked at for a moment and Jelly became to fill uncomfortable. “Um, I’m new here, but I haven’t seen you...“

“Jelly Jam. I’m new too. We...my mother and I...came in today. To cover the school.” Jelly shifted her hooves nervously, “I’m just here to get a dress for... the dance.”

“Oh, yes, a lot of the mares are, uh, interested in the dance. I wasn’t planning on going. I have my son. This is Ember by the way. Say hello, Ember.”

“Bi bi?” Ember glanced from his father’s back at Jelly.

“No, no, the other one, son,” Smokey gently corrected his son.

“H’lo.”

“Hello, Ember.” Jelly smiled at the foal having the heartfelt desire to give Ember a cuddle. “Are you looking forward to Winter Welcome?”

Ember gave her a blank look, and then ducked his head into his father’s mane. Smokey chuckled, “He doesn’t understand about Winter Welcome. But I think he’ll enjoy the games tomorrow.”

“Uh, if you were explaining it to him... what would you tell him?” Jelly inquired, hoping that her question wasn’t too strange. They really needed to know what Winter Welcome was before the day comes.

“Well, I’d say that Winter Welcome is when we welcome winter.” Smokey looked amused by her question. “It’s the first day that the pegasi create the snow.”

His answer brought forth even more questions. Almost all societies and cultures dreaded the winter and had welcoming festivals for spring. Also, the pegasis making it snow? What did that mean?

“I uh, need to go. Ember is getting tired and I’ve got training in the morning.” Smokey turned to the door, giving Jelly a view of his cutie mark of a smoking fire. “I’ll see you later, Jelly.”

Jelly watched him leave feeling awkward for some reason. At least she had a better understanding of Winter Welcome. Rarity returned with a levitating dress, “Did something come in?”

“It was Smokey. He brought over the left over decorations.” Jelly held a hoof toward the basket.

“That was very kind of him. He’s the new fire station chief and he has a small son with him. His wife passed away and he moved from Fillydelphia to take over the fire station.” Rarity floated the dress toward her. “Now this isn’t finished yet, but if it looks wonderful, I’ll have it ready before the dance.”

The violet dress fitted perfectly. It was simply, lacking any of the frills, lace, or décor that most of the other dresses she had tried on. It laced up the back though, creating a pattern on her back. Rarity walked around her taking her at every angle. “I could put frills in the skirt and ribbon there. The collar is a bit tall, but I can tuck that in.”

Jelly glanced at herself in the mirror. The dress was fetching, as fetching as it could look on a pony. Being that she was used to seeing dresses on human bodies, she couldn’t give an opinion on how well it looked on her. She could say that she looked cute. “It’s good.”

“It’ll look marvelous tomorrow. Come back tomorrow and I’ll have it finished.” Rarity removed the dress and placed it on a mannequin.

“You really don’t have to do this. I don’t have much money.” Jelly stepped off the dais. Between her and Victory, they had five bits between them.

“No, no, don’t mention payment. You’re here to help out the town,” Rarity said firmly. “I’ll have the dress ready after school tomorrow. Is there anything else you need?”

“Uh, yes. A skirt. For school tomorrow.” Jelly dearly hoped that she didn’t have to explain why it was important for her to wear a skirt to school.

Rarity’s eyes passed over Jelly’s flank without losing her smile. “Of course, step over this way. I have some on the rack. I would recommend the light blue one with the white star at the hem.”

Again, Rarity wouldn’t accept any money for the skirt. It fitted her well and definitely hdt her flank. The skirt was simple and with a zipper along the side. As she left the store, she noticed a plate of bon bons near the front step. She had noticed the same thing at the bakery, the plate of cookies and milk. She wondered if this was a cultural practice for them.

Sweetie Belle galloped up, “Miss Jam! Pinkie Pie said that you left something at the bakery.”

“What? What did I leave?” It wasn’t her datapad, she used it since they left. Her sketch pad? No, she saw that since then also. Oh god, what if she left something behind that incriminated that they aren’t what they seem.

“I don’t know. Pinkie said to tell you.”

“Could you show me where the bakery is? I’m not sure where it is from here.”

“Sure follow me.” Sweetie Belle led her away with a trot. Jelly noticed the excited skip in her step and she kept glancing back at her with a bright smile on her face. She began to become suspicious that she may be lured into a prank.

Just as they arrived at the bakery, Victory was galloping up with Scootaloo barely keeping up with her long strides. The elder unicorn spotted her and her brow furrowed as was the usual habit whenever Victory saw her. Her hooves clopped on the cobblestones so hard that Jelly wondered why sparks didn’t spring from them.

*“Did you lose something?”* Victory hissed at her, her ears laid back in anger.

“No! *I mean no,”* Jelly quickly slipped into their tongue. *”At least, I don’t think so.”*

*”I swear to every deity recognized by every major religion, that if you left something containing sensitive information in that kiddie sweetie fantasy dump, I will break you in half.”*

Jelly shrank back from her commander’s vehemence, her own ears laying back in fright. The foals giggled and galloped inside, again stirring Jelly’s suspicions, but couldn’t announce due to the glaring unicorn before her.

Victory tore her flare from her face and stalked up the steps. Jelly followed close behind her, her ears still laid back. Her commander shoved the door opened, and just as the yeoman pony noticed the lights were off, they were flashed on and screams of surprise rang from within.

Victory stomped her hooves in her effort to push herself backward right into Jelly. The younger unicorn felt her hooves skid across the hard floor from her commander’s weight. She looked over the startled unicorn to see the bakery filled with ponies and the air filled with fluttering confetti and streamers. There were cupcakes and treats stacked on a table around a huge punch bowl filled with pink punch. And hanging from the ceiling was a large banner reading “Welcome!”

And in the middle of this merriment was the pink pony, Pinkie Pie blowing on a noisemaker wearing a pointy party hat. The noisemaker unfurled with the tassel in flicking in their direction before it was dropped and the bakery pony said cheerfully, “Welcome to Ponyville, teach!”

“Sorry that we startled you, but Pinkie just couldn’t wait.” Twilight Sparkle appeared at their side. “She did the same thing for me when I first came to Ponyville. I hope she didn’t startle you too much.”

“No, no, we’re fine. We were told we forgot something here.” Jelly gave Victory a nudge forward and was rewarded with a sharp kick to a foreleg. Her grin tightened to hide the grimace of pain.

“Oh, we asked Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle to tell you that so you’ll come. Come and meet everypony.”

Then unicorn spies absorbed into the party. Jelly tried to stay with Victory, but she was pulled away by other ponies. Questions were heaped upon her. How did she like Ponyville? What was Caneighda like? Did she plan on becoming a teacher like her mother? Did she have a special somepony back home? Did she have any relatives in Canterlot?

She tried to answer each one vaguely. Ponyville was nice. Caneighda was cold. She wasn’t sure what she wanted to be. No, she didn’t have anyone...anypony special. No, she didn’t have any relatives in Canterlot.

She was able to break away by excusing herself to the little pony’s room. Thank God, the toilets on this planet were easy to figure out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twilight Sparkle knew it was coming, but she found no way around it. She saw the brilliant colors moving among the crowd heading towards her. The lavender unicorn took her chance to gobble up a cupcake before a cyan head poked through the crowd, “Twilight! Didn’t you hear me calling you?”

“Yes, Rainbow, I wanted to eat a cupcake before we start. I’ll meet you in the back.” Twilight knew that she would get no peace unless she attempted the memory spell for Rainbow Dash.

Maybe if Rainbow Dash understood why she fell, it would help her find some closure or peace with her situation. The doctor said the bandage could come off next week, possibly this week of the x-ray results permitted.

She hastily ate her cupcake and after making sure that her mouth was free of icing or crumbs she weaved through the crowd to the backroom of the bakery. Rainbow was pacing, her head bowed and her eyes narrowed. Her bandaged wing flicked within the restraint of the bandage. She popped her head up when Twilight entered, “C’mon, let’s get started.”

“Okay, but you have to relax first. The spell will be easier if your mind is calm.”

“But Twilight, it’s been killing me not knowing,” Rainbow waved her hooves in the air. “I don’t fall. I crash, but I don’t just fall.”

“Alright, I understand. Just sit there and take deep breaths and relax.” Twilight recalled the spell, going over each magical shift she would make with her horn. Rainbow perched atop of a crate, giving Twilight a painful beseeching look. The unicorn sighed, “I guess I don’t have to ask if you are ready. Close your eyes and think back to that day when you were flying.”

As the magic touched the small piece of Rainbow Dash that was her memory, her vision gave way to the light blue of a morning sky. Cloud groups solidify, but was swept past as Rainbow Dash remembered her speedy flight. Then more sensations followed the visuals. Twilight experienced air rushing along her body, the exhilaration of speed, and wind whistling in her ears. Her stomach swam as she experienced Rainbow perform a loop and something round and metal flashed before her. And then her world exploded with pain and darkness.

Twilight let go of the memory and receded from Rainbow Dash’s mind with her mouth set in a thoughtful line. The pegasus opened her eyes wide, “What was that!?”

It was round and metal... like a giant metal eyeball. Twilight blinked as she realized that Pinkie Pie’s story may not have been her imagination at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They decided it was best not to mention it to anypony. Rainbow Dash agreed to protect her reputation and Twilight to keep other ponies from worrying. Right now, she wanted to find Pinkie Pie and speak with her about the metal eye. As she waded through the party, she noticed that the substitute teacher’s daughter was nervously answer questions. Twilight felt a wave of sympathy for the mare as she noticed the skirt and instantly realized that it was hiding her empty flank. How could a pony go through her life and not find that talent that made her special? And her magic wasn’t any better than a foal from Magic Kindergarten.

And it mustn’t have been easy with such a mother. Twilight had only met Victory one time, but from that one meeting and what she heard transpired at Fluttershy’s place, she didn’t seem the patient type and was strict. But if Princess Celestia recommended her, then there had to be something more to her. She really should give her another chance. Twilight weaved through the party until she noticed Victory ducking through a crowd toward the door. And she would have to pass Twilight Sparkle to reach the door.

“You’re not planning on leaving early, are you?” Twilight asked just as the taller unicorn drew close.

Victory looked almost startled. “I’m not much for social gatherings. If I’m not working, then I’m not living.”

“Well, you must have a pretty good work ethic. What made you decide to be a teacher?”

There was that strange pause again that she seemed to get from these foreign unicorns. It might be a Caneighda thing. Victory glanced toward her left as if expecting to see Jelly, but seeing that the younger mare wasn’t there she turn her gaze back to Twilight. “I love cute things.”

“Huh?” Twilight flicked her ears confused.

Victory coughed behind a hoof and then replied, “I mean... I love looking into the sweet faces of children eager to learn and knowing I was the one who gave them knowledge. It’s like I’m controlling, manip... influencing their beliefs, their thoughts, and their lives. What they take from me, they will deliver unto others. Good or bad. Therefore, in retrospect, I’m also influencing extensions of their lives.”

“Wow. It sounds as if you take your job very seriously. No wonder Princess Celestia recommended you.” Twilight offered a friendly grin.

“Princess Celestia... how is she doing? Well, I hope?” Victory who looked as if had been ready to flee out the door, sidled next to her with a unique grin of her own.

“She’s doing fine, I think. But she’s been so busy what with Winter Welcome and the Winter Ball coming up. Also, there’s been the disappearance of the zebra ambassador’s daughter, but at least she has her sister Luna back.”

“Oh and how is Luna?”

They rest of the party discussing the royal princesses, Canterlot, her brother’s position as Captain of the Canterlot Royal Guard, and how the Changelings that threatened the Royal Wedding. Then the discussion swung to the Elements of Harmony; of how they trapped Discord, and redeemed Nightmare Moon. She seemed especially interested in the Elements of Harmony.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jelly was taking a big bite out of a delicious pink frosted cupcake with bits of cherry sprinkled when Smokey appeared at her shoulder. “Hello, Jelly was it?”

She turned to him with frosting around her mouth and on her nose. She chewed so quickly she nearly bit her tongue. “Mr. Smokey, I...” She could feel the frosting around her mouth and feared licking it away would look ridiculous, but she had to no hands to grab a napkin to wipe her mouth clean. She could wipe her mouth on a fetlock, but wouldn’t that be just as bad?

“Here.” He easily scooped up napkin from the tabletop and held it out to her over his hoof.

She carefully accepted the napkin, fearful that it would fall onto the floor. Jelly wiped her mouth, not realizing that her cheeks were almost as pink as the frosting. “Thank you.”

“It’s no problem. I know what it’s like is to be bombarded by a party. Pinkie Pie did the same for me and Ember when we arrived. It was awkward at first, but it certainly help break the ice.”

“She certainly seems... pretty friendly for someone that owns a pet alligator.” Jelly glanced at her tell, fearful that she would have another alligator encounter.

“It frightened me too, but it’s harmless without any teeth.” Smokey gave her a reassuring smile.

“So, are you going to stay in Ponyville long?”

She was beginning to feel uncomfortable right now. “We’re staying at least until the school’s teacher comes back from leave.”

“But you’ll be here through Winter Welcome and the Dance,” Smokey inquired.

I don’t know. Jelly looked at the floor, and shifted her hooves nervously. “Yes, likely so.”

“Then, I’ll see you there.” She could see how pleased he was at the prospect, which made her even more comfortable.

She felt a weight on her and it was gradually getting heavier and heavier. It was like the beginning of a headache or the sickly throes of having the flu. Why was she feeling this way? Was the nanonites in her body turning against her or... oh shit. She saw the source of her discomfort.

Victory Jam, aka Noa Laotaner, was glaring at her from across the room. Jelly felt that familiar dread of doom furled in her chest like burning petals. “I have to go... I think my mother wants to speak to me.”

“Oh, of course, I . . .I’ll see you later then.”

Might as well get it over with, Jelly thought to herself as she forced herself to cross the room to her impending peril. What did she do now? Was she too friendly with the natives? Yeah, that was it. Victory wouldn’t know etiquette if it kicked her in the teeth.

*”What did I do now?”* Jelly murmured taking up their own language.

*”You better not turn this into another Kova Embarassment,”* Victory nearly snarled at her.

Jelly blinked as her jaw dropped in the face of Victory’s accusation. *”What? We were just talking! He was being nice!”*

*”He’s interested in you,”* Victory snapped, glaring fiercely. *”We’re women. We not stupid dick slinging men who get a chubby around alien females, we’re smarter than that, or we should be. It’s disgusting. He’s not even a humanoid.”*

*”There is nothing going on!”* Jelly’s face was bright red and it was all she could do to keep from stomping a hoof and drawing attention.

*”See that it doesn’t.”* Victory turned away from her, *”I’m returning to the inn, I expect to see you there shortly.”*

*”Fine, I’ll see you there too.”* Jelly sincerely hoped that no one else saw there exchange.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Did ya see the talkin’ to, Jelly Jam got from her mama?” Applejack whispered to Rarity over a cup of bunch. “I thought she was gonna give her a spankin’ in the middle of the party.”

“I think her mother is being overprotective.” Rarity sipped her punch with a gentle tilt of her magically levitated cup. “She should really let the filly expand her horizons. There’s a reason why she doesn’t have a cutie mark.”

“Rarity, shhhh, that’s the reason of why she’s wearing a skirt.” Applejack deeply hoped that Jelly would have a good day at school tomorrow. If the foals were willing to give Apple Bloom a hard time about not having her cutie mark, then they would likely be merciless toward an adult pony without a cutie mark.

“At least her mother is becoming more open. She and Twilight spoke for almost an hour about Canterlot. I believe she’s uptight because of the travel and preparing for tomorrow’s lessons.”

Rarity mused thoughtfully, “I wonder if she’ll come by to order a dress for the Winter Dance. That is coming up in a few days.”

“I don’t think Victory is into dances.” Applejack didn’t mention it, but she didn’t think that Victory was into much of anything.

Smokey walked up to them, his attention on unicorn seamstress, “Miss Rarity, I don’t mean to bother you, but I was wondering if it was too late to order a tuxedo.”

“Of course, there is plenty of time! Come in tomorrow for a fitting and I’ll have you set for the dance.”

“Waitaminute, I thought you weren’t goin’ to the dance.” Applejack raised an eyebrow.

“I wasn’t planning to... but I think I will.” He looked away, a blush apparent on his face.

Both ponies noticed where he was glancing and both took on excited grins which faded as soon as he looked back. Rarity cleared her throat, keeping her excitement at attaining a juicy bit of gossip.

“Then we’re going to have you looking fabulous for that dance so you can catch the eye of a certain young mare.”

“Uh, thanks, I’ll see you tomorrow.” Smokey beat a hasty retreat, his hooves clopping on the floor in his haste.

Rarity had a gleam in her eye as she watched him leave. “Did you seem him look at Jelly? He’s absolutely besotted!”

“I think it’s great that he might find some happiness.” Applejack took another swig from her punch. “I just hope they’ll have time to get to know each other.”

“It’s like a story from a romance novel.” Rarity’s eyes were flashing. “A lonely widower with a young son and a young mare with an overbearing mother and it’s happening in Ponyville right before the Winter Welcome Dance! Oh, if only it would happen at the Winter Ball. She’s coming over tomorrow to see the dress, I’ll tell Smokey to come around sometime after school for his fitting.”

“Hold on there!” Applejack furrowed her brow, giving Rarity a stern look. “If something’s gonna come of it, it’ll happen on its own. They don’t need ya playin’ matchmaker.”

“Oh, Applejack, some things like romance, could use a helping hoof.” She saw Applejack’s eyes narrow more and she backed down, “But I will step back and see how it turns out.” Rarity decided to change the subject of discussion distract her friend. “I take it that Apple Bloom is happy to return to school tomorrow.”

Applejack shifted her weight on her hooves, not comfortable with this change in topic, “Yeah, she’s excited about tomorrow, but Ah’m nervous about it.”

“Darling, Apple Bloom will be safe at school. The teacher will be there and so will the other students.” Rarity placed a comforting hoof on the farm mare’s shoulder.

“Ah know that and Ah thought Ah’d be fine with it, but Ah can’t help it. The thought of her disappearing again jest brings chills to muh spine. Ah thought she was dead, Rarity. Ah was plannin’ her funeral and Ah...ah...shucks, Ah can’t even talk about it.” Applejack’s eyes were shivering as tears threatening to spill.

Rarity instantly regretted changing the subject. “Shhh, dear, it’s alright. That horrid mess is over and done with. Apple Bloom is safe and sound and it’ll never happen again.”

“Ah know, Ah know, but Ah jest need some closure. Where was she? What happened that kept her away from us for three days? And why can’t she remember? Mebbe she remembers and jest don’t wanna tell me.” A tear spilled freely down her cheek.

“Give Apple Bloom more credit than that. If she knew what happened to her, you would have been the first pony to know. And Twilight can help her with a memory spell if her memory doesn’t return and above all, she’s fine and she’s home safe.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hours later, Jelly returned to the inn just in time for her change to take place. She couldn’t believe that it had only been one day. They had done so much, met so many ponies, and learned so much. It was no wonder that she was so exhausted and her bed looked so inviting.

Victory had already changed back to her human self, Noa Laotaner. The commander had a blanket wrapped around her and her datapad perched on her knees and fingers moving machinelike over the holographic keyboard. Seeing a human in the room likely brought her own change forth.

She felt her skin ripple as the coat withdrew and her limbs and spin stretch and strengthen. Her hind legs straighten, bearing her upward and within seconds she was a woman wearing only a skirt which surprisingly still fit her.

Laotaner glanced up at her from her datapad, *“Yeah, yeah, you have nice tits. Now change back.”*

*“Well, I was thinking it’d be more comfortable to sleep like this.”* Mikala undid the skirt and folded it neatly over a chair.

“Not a chance. The last thing I want is for one of the natives to walk in here and see us as we truly are. I’m only like this because I need my fingers to type up this report.”

*“Fine.”* She noticed that without a coat, the room felt cooler to her bare skin. She crawled under the blankets and wondered at how two incredibly different species from across the huge expanse of space could come up with the same concept as a bed with blankets and pillows. It was a comfortable bed with a deep mattress and thick blankets, unlike the hard military bunk in her room.

She injected herself and then curled up in the blanket for warmth as her body changed back. Her fingers lost their grip on the blanket as they rolled back into hooves and her tail tickled her legs as it grew. She took a small peek under the blanket to see if a cutie mark had appeared, but sadly her flank was still naked.

*“I’m sorta looking forward to tomorrow. We get to teach baby ponies,”* Jelly said.

Again, she felt that oh so familiar brunt of dislike and irritation. Laotaner’s voice carried harshly, *”You go native and I’ll have to take you down.”*

*”I’m not going native. I like Chinese food and Russian Ballet, but that doesn’t I want to become Chinese or Russian. I thought we were here to make a peace accord with them.”*

*”You’re flirting with the men of the species and you keep going ‘squee’ whenever you see something cute.”*

*”I have not.”*

*”Bullshit. You wanted to adopt all the foals you’ve seen today. And you nearly had a seizure when you saw the chicks.”*

*”Before you nearly drown them.”*

Laotaner rolled her eyes and turned her head toward the unicorn, *”Are you going to start bitching about that again?”*

Jelly sat up, forelegs crossed. *”That’s the problem with you. You’re not gentle or courteous, and your social etiquette is barely any better than a rapid rat’s. You’re mean spirited, rude, and belligerent. When we go into that classroom tomorrow, you can’t act like a commanding officer, you have to act like an elementary school teacher. You have to smile, be patient, and above all be kind!”*

She expected a lot of things to follow. To be cursed, reprimanded, or even attacked, but what followed was a long silence which was followed, by a soft, “I forgot how to be those things.”*

*”How do you forget kindness?”* Jelly would regret asking.

*”Killing and torturing civilians for information or to prove a point to enemy commanders bleeds any humanity or kindness out of you.”*

Another silence followed. Jelly felt as if cold water was flowing through her veins. *”Shraxi?”*

*”There and other places,”* Laotaner replied as she set aside the datapad. *”The government condones interrogation, but ignores the methods used by the interrogators.”*

*”So you... tortured people?”* Jelly’s voice was so small and weak, she barely recognized it as her own.

*”When it was necessary. A soldier who knew something we needed to know or an informant who was asking for a price I considered too high. I've broken some bones, put out a few eyes, and even cut off one or two fingers.”

Even with the blanket hugging her body, Jelly felt cold as if she was outside wearing nothing. She was seeing a different Laotaner, or maybe it was a Laotaner with fewer layers. How in the hell had she not found any of this information during her investigation into Laotaner? Did the government cover it up?

*”And I get to try my hand at teaching children tomorrow.”* Laotaner offered grin which was cast into deep shadows from the light of the datapad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Military Report

Government: Monarchy, led by a Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. Center of power is Canterlot to the north of the town ( Ponyville ). Close enough to be viewable. City is attached to side of a mountain. Strategic missile strikes should bring down the capital taking out national leaders and decimating native morale as well.

Notes of Interest: Elements of Harmony. Potential weapon. Will investigate further if possible.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Applejack, ya really really don’t’ hafta walk me all the way to school.” Apple Bloom cast her eyes side to side in dire hopes of maybe Diamond Tiara or Silver Spoon wouldn’t see her sister walking her to school as if she were a preschooler.

“We talked about this last night and this morning. And ten minutes ago. I’m just gonna see ya to the door and I’ll come back for ya before school ends.”

“But Ah’ve always walked to school by muhself!” Apple Bloom ducked her head behind Applejack. Two foals walking side by side walked by too engross in their chat to notice them. When they were gone, Apple Bloom relaxed, but looked beseechingly at Applejack, “Please! Ah’ll be a laughin’ stock!”

“Apple Bloom, I’m sure they’ll understand,” Applejack murmured, and Apple Bloom could hear the lack of certainty in her tone.

Further ahead, at the school, in contrast to Applebloom’s despair, Jelly was feeling jubilant at seeing the small foals arriving at the school. They were so adorable with their large heads and short legs. And they wore saddle bags with images embroidered on the bags. Some of the images were of pegasi in mid-flight wearing blue suits fringed in gold. Another had a pegasus with black mane and tail wearing an explorer outfit.

She greeted each one as they came inside. Some were shyer than others while others were willing to speak with her. A lot of them asked about Cheerilee wondering when she would come back. Jelly assured them they their teacher would come back as soon as possible. To change the topic, she asked if they were excited about Winter Welcome.

“I am!” A young filly nearly pushed off her front legs in her excitement. “My mommy bought a new dress for me!”

“I’m getting a new dress too.” Jelly’s grin stretched across her face. “What color is yours?”

“Pink!”

“My dress is blue!”

“I don’t wanna wear a dress. Dresses stink!” A scowling colt announced, irritated by feminine wiles

.

“You stink! Dresses are for fillies!” A pink haired filly with blossoms on her flank rounded on him.

“You stink more, stinky!”

“You stink and you got cooties too!”

“Okay, okay, okay, let’s not fight. Let’s go inside and sit down.” Jelly intervened before the exchange came to blows. As the verbal combatants entered the school, they had one last exchange that Jelly caught.

“I’ll stick gum in your mane and your mom will have to cut it all off.” The colt whispered to his female counterpart.

“You do that and I’ll buck you till you can’t walk no more,” the filly hissed back.

Jelly will definitely have to keep an eye on them to prevent further altercations. In fact, she hoped there would be no altercation between Victory and the students. When she arose that morning, she had already undergone her morning change and took the chance to write up a small welcome speech for Victory to give to the class. She stifled a yawn, feeling the fatigue from coming to the school hours ago to go over the school schedule and give them a chance to study over the text books. She beamed happily as Apple Bloom and Applejack showed up, though the filly was cringing as her eyes looked about as if expecting an attack. Applejack greeted her warmly, “Good morning, Miss Jam. Apple Bloom, say good morning.”

Both Jelly and Apple Bloom noticed the warning look that crossed Applejack’s eyes. The young filly bowed her head dejectedly, “Good morning, Miss Jam.”

Jelly lowered her head still she was nearly on level with Apple Bloom’s face, “I’m sure we’ll have a good time today.”

The yellow filly couldn’t meet her eyes. She glanced away and then cringed in horror. Plodding along was the fillies she did not want to see. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon sashayed side by side and when the pink filly caught Apple Bloom’s eyes, she flashed a nasty grin. The yellow filly wondered if she could fake a stomach ache and convince Applejack that she needed to go home.

“Ah’ll see ya later, Apple Bloom. Remember, ya wait by this door for me in case Ah’m a bit late,” Applejack said. “Ah’ll try not to be late. Then we can walk home together.”

“Ah know, Ah know!” Apple Bloom hissed, but it was too late. Diamond Tiara had come within earshot and the titter of her shared giggled with Silver Spoon told her that she was damned to their taunting for the foreseeable future.

Jelly noticed the new arrivals. “Hello there.”

“Uh.... hello.” The pink filly with the tiara looked offended that Jelly would greet her.

“My name is Jelly Jam and I’ll be assisting your substitute for today.” Jelly extended the hand or in this case hoof of friendship.

“Yeah, we know who you are.” Diamond Tiara eyed Jelly’s skirt with an arched brow and shared a conspiratorial look with her grey friend.

“Go inside and have a seat. Class will be starting soon.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apple Bloom took a seat, groaning in misery with her face planted on the surface of her desk. She had managed to duck out before Applejack humiliated her further. Thankfully, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle arrived to act as buffers from any taunts that were sure to come.

And here they were.

“Did you go looking for a cutie mark and went missing?” Diamond Tiara’s voice carried like a rail road spike. Sharp and resounding.

“Good morning to you too, Diamond Tiara,” Apple Bloom grumbled.

“Just leave her alone.” Scootaloo appeared at her side, her legs apart as if she was ready to lunge.

“We were just asking a question,” Silver Spoon said from Diamond Tiara’s side, her usual position. “No need to ruffle your blank flank.”

“Speaking of which, I heard that the teacher assistant doesn’t have a cutie mark, is that true?” Diamond Tiara inquired again glancing conspiratorially at Silver Spoon. “Is that why she is wearing that ugly skirt? To hide her blank flank?”

Apple Bloom believed that was the likely reason, but she didn’t owe Diamond Tiara any answers. “It’s none of our business.”

“Yeah, leave her alone. She seems nice.” Scootaloo shook a hoof at them.

The topic of their conversation was across the room inquiring about the pegasus in the explorer outfit printed on a saddle bag.

“It’s Daring Do! She’s an explorer and has lots of adventures,” the colt owning said the bag explained.

“Is she a real person or make believe?” they heard Jelly ask.

“She’s from a book. I got all of them. Dad said if I do good on my grades he’ll buy the newest one.”

“I got the Wonderbolts on my bag!” a filly piped up showing off her bag of the aerial acrobatics team.

“So are they from a book too?” Jelly asked.

“No! They’re real life! They live in Canterlot with the Princess.”

Diamond Tiara snorted, “She doesn’t know anything about Daring Do or the Wonderbolts? Who doesn’t know anything about them?”

“Person? What cave did she crawl out of? Who talks like that?” Silver Spoon cocked an eyebrow.

“Okay, everyone. Sit down and shu . . . be quiet.” Victory Jam stood behind the desk neutral eyes passing over the glass.

As the students sat at their desks, Jelly dug into her back she had hung around her neck before coming to school. She pulled out a folded piece of paper with her teeth and carried it to Victory Jam. She lay the paper on the desk and whispered, *”Just read this.”*

Victory scanned the words and her face twisted in displeasure. *”Seriously?”*

*”Yes. It’ll help make things go smoothly.”* Jelly hoped that Victory would take her seriously. *”Just trust me on this.”*

*”Fine.”*

Sweetie Belle leaned over to Apple Bloom and whispered, “They’re talking funny again.”

“I know. Why don’t they speak pony?” Apple Bloom replied quietly.

Victory reared back on her hind legs and read over the page again and then cleared her throat. “Good Morning. My name is Victory Jam and I will be your substitute teacher. This is my da-daughter Jelly Jam. She will be assisting me. She and I are delighted to be here today. I hope that we will all become close friends before we sadly have to return home.”

The words were warm and kindly, but none of it reached her eyes as they pored over the prepared speech. Victory brushed the speech aside and drew a prepared folder to her. She flipped it open and her eyes widen when she saw the attendance sheet. Instead of names, there were small drawings of each student with a line beside each one for a check mark.

“Jelly, come here.” Victory stared at the page in growing annoyance. When Jelly was leaning over her shoulder she tapped the page with a hoof, *”What the hell is this!?”*

“Here we go again.” Scootaloo whispered from her desk rolling her eyes.

Jelly stared at the sheet. *”I guess it’s easy if you know each student.”*

*”This is some fucked up shit. What am I supposed to do? Is the little fat pony with chubby cheeks here? Is the pony that looks like a chicken here?”* Victory shoved the sheet away from her in disgust causing a titter of amusement from the students.

Jelly forced a smile to show that all was well for the foals and then hissed at Victory, *”Don’t make a scene. I’ll pass the sheet around and they can sign themselves in.” *

*”Do that. I’m already feeling my last nerve getting stepped on.”*

Jelly quickly snagged the paper with her teeth and carried it to the far right front desk and laid it on the desk. “Here, put a check beside your . . . face and pass it up the row. I’ll collect it once every checks their picture.”

Thankfully, that morning went smoothly. The first lesson was for reading which the students were given a reading assignment for a short story called “To Shoot a Phoenix” and there were study questions they had to answer upon completion. Next was math, and the good Cheerilee had arranged for the foals to complete two pages of arithmetic and were allowed to use their math books to assist them.

Then it was lunch time. The students were allowed outside to eat their lunches and Jelly went outside with them while Victory remained behind the desk reading through a history text book. The foals dug through lunch bags and opened pails. Foals squealed in delight and groaned in dismay at the contents then came the negotiations and trades for preferred food.

Jelly traded a muffin for an apple and pastry tart for a cucumber sandwich. The meal conversation consisted of plans for Winter Welcome, complaints about younger or older siblings, and hopes for Cheerilee’s quick return. Jelly sat on the grass with a group of foals.

She spotted the colt from earlier chewing on a thick wad of gum with a determine look at the mane of the filly he had argued with earlier. She quickly thrust a hoof under his chin and said severely, “Don’t you spit that gum in her hair. Either swallow it or put in my ha-hoof.”

He distastefully chose to put it on her hoof. She grimaced and wrapped the gum up in paper to throw away later. Fortunately, no further mishaps happened for the rest of the lunch period.

The ex-Cutie Mark Crusaders sat away to eat by themselves. Apple Bloom found she didn’t have much of an appetite and gave her apple pudding to Scootaloo while she munched miserably on an apple slice.

“It isn’t too bad, Apple Bloom,” Sweetie Belle tried to comfort her friend. “At least we get to hang out at school.”

“It’s not fair. It’s like Ah did somethin’ wrong, but Ah can’t remember if Ah did or not.” She blinked her eyes, trying hard not to start crying. She didn’t want to give Diamond Tiara anymore fodder. The last thing she needed was to be called a cry foal too.

“It’ll be alright. Eventually your sister will lay offa ya,” Scootaloo assured her as she dug her nose into the pudding cup.

“Um, guys, I think the Gruesome Twosome is up to something.” Sweetie Belle pointed at where the seesaws. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were talking quietly near them and then they both giggled. Diamond Tiara lay down on the grass near a seesaw and Silver Spoon trotted away, and then broke into a gallop.

“Miss Jam! Miss Jam! Diamond Tiara fell off the seesaw! I think she hurt her leg.” Silver Spoon’s voice carried across the playground.

Apple Bloom felt a lurch in her stomach as she recognized a prank. She didn’t care for Jelly, she was a symbol of what she feared would happen to her: becoming an adult without a cutie mark.

“Shouldn’t we do something? I know Jelly Jam doesn’t have a cutie mark, but that doesn’t mean that she deserves to be pranked.” Scootaloo was on her hooves.

By this time, Jelly had followed Silver Spoon to the seesaws where she was standing over Diamond Tiara likely inquiring where it hurt.

“Let’s go.” Apple Bloom got to her hooves, but she knew it was too late.

Silver Spoon had snagged Jelly’s skirt onto the seesaw’s handle bars and was gallop around to hop onto the other side. And as the grey fillies’s weight dropped one end, the other end jumped up, taking Jelly’s skirt with it. As the skirt was ripped from her, it offset Jelly’s balance and her bag slung out spilling out several items. There was a gasp from the foals that followed as the skirt was ruined, then an exclamation of shock at seeing Jelly’s bare flank.

“She’s a blank flank!” Silver Spoon sneered pointing.

“She should have been eating with the other blank flanks.” An unhurt Diamond Tiara stood to join in the taunting.

There were some giggles, but other foals were confused or shocked. Jelly sat down on her in an unconscious need to hide her flank, but it was still there bare and empty as a fresh sheet of paper. Apple Bloom and her friends began collecting Jelly’s fallen items, but she paused when she came across a sketch pad.

“Why don’t you have a cutie mark, Miss Jam?” Diamond Tiara stood in exuberance of having something an adult didn’t have. “You never found anything special about yourself?”

“Oh, she had a cutie mark one time.” A heavy voice struck like a stab of lightning. All eyes save for Apple Bloom turned to see Victory standing nearby. For some reason, the wind at that moment decided to pick up, blowing strands of her mane and a cloud covered the sun casting the world in a dim shadow. She was the image of an angry god. “But she was a mouthy little thing. She mouthed off to me and I slapped her so hard, it fell off.”

The foals stared in terror at the substitute as she pointed at the school. “Lunch is over. Inside.”

“But lunch isn’t over!” Diamond Tiara stamped her hoof.

A chill crawled over every foal as Victory’s eyes turned into orbs of ice as they were directed to the pink filly. Only then did Diamond Tiara realized that she made a mistake and for the first time in her life regretted drawing attention to herself. Victory strode over the grass until she was towering over Diamond Tiara. She leaned forward, her nose inches from the filly’s. “Was that you mouthing off to me or was it just the wind?”

Diamond Tiara gulped. She glanced to Silver Spoon who was hiding behind the seesaw, as if to hide her involvement in the bullying. The other foals were backing away, eyes wide to see if Diamond Tiara would get her cutie mark slapped off. Seeing that there was no back up to be had from her supposed best friend or classmates, she offered a nervous grin and said, “The wind.”

As the foals collected their half-eaten lunches, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo collected Jelly’s fallen items and were tucking them into the bag.

“We’re really sorry,” Sweetie Belle said, “Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon are always giving us a hard time about not having cutie marks.”

“It’s . . . it’s okay, girls, really.” Jelly gave a concerned look at Victory. “Lets go inside before Victory gets ma-worried about us.”

“She uh, really didn’t slap off your cutie mark, did she?” Scootaloo asked.

“Oh no, no. I just never got mine.”

“Um, why did you never get one?” Sweetie Belle asked feeling ashamed that she should ask.

The adult unicorn was quiet for a moment and replied, “I don’t know.”

Apple Bloom shoved the sketch pad into the bag, “Well, we gotta go get our lunches. We’ll see ya inside.”

She took off toward the hill were they had been eating lunch. Her friends followed after her, leaving Jelly alone to pull her ruined skirt off the seesaw and go back inside with her bare flank.

“Look at this.” Apple Bloom pulled a folded page from the curve of her bow and unfolded it. It was a drawing of her standing in an apple orchard with Applejack and another strange blue creature with a peach colored head and standing on two legs. Apple Bloom held it unfolded with her hooves on either side of it.

“Nice picture, what’s that blue thing?” Scootaloo asked as she studied the picture.

“Ah don’t know, Ah drew this! Ah know Ah did. See, Ah wrote muh name in muh handwriting. Ah just don’t remember drawin’ it!” Apple Bloom recognized her own work and a revelation swept over her. “It was in her sketch book with some other drawin’s Ah did. She knows! She knows what happened ta me those three days!”