• Published 6th Jul 2015
  • 364 Views, 3 Comments

Memoirs of a Queen - ladyarcana



One shots of the history of Queen Rosedust. These are brief looks at the personal record of her past.

  • ...
 3
 364

Old Mare

Greetings from Queen Rosedust I.

It has been many, many seasons now since I led my little ponies away. My nightmares are lessening. Right now a generation seems to last little more than 30 seasons. At the age 13 seasons, the mares go into their first cycle, begin foaling at 16 seasons, then leave on adventures their great grandmares would never dream of seeking.

I’ve tried to warn them of the dangers to be found beyond the swamp ringing our valley. That Witches lurk, casting spells on the unwary. Ogres plot to trick them with riddles, before making soup from their dead bodies. There are sneaking shape-changing lizards, waiting to enslave them. In your day there could be more, possibly more now. I know not and fear to leave to find out the truth.

The main truth I need to know is that when my little ponies leave; they never return. As of now that is all I need to know, to protect my ponies.

The swamp around us is growing bigger with every new Spring. In your day we may no longer live in this idyllic place. So, I record the name the others have decided to call it: Flutter Valley. A lovely for this land. We plant more and more flowers every season. They are beautiful and bring much joy to me. So much so, that many ponies are taking the names I give them and adopting their favorites. Preferring to grow one over any other, at least they do, until they leave me.

I still fear the outside world, the idea of leaving is an anathema to me. I have no desire to follow my wayward subjects, nor a desire to understand why they leave me. I warn them of the past. Shown them the rotted remains of the carts I once pulled. They laugh and call me an old mare.

After this many sunrises, I feel like an old mare. Many is the time I watch my little ponies fly away and ask my own self if I have the courage to follow. Then I look to foals, see them gently fluttering for the first time… I know they need my guidance. I will not leave them, not now or ever.

I am far older than I feel I have the right to be. My experiences of the world are not theirs. They have been made here, born here, fallen in love and begun this cycle again; all in a peaceful valley, far from my foal-hood. That does not make me wrong. Does not make my warnings any less important. I remember those days I pulled the cart, the smell of Seapony flesh, of rotting meat burning in a pyre. Still have the nightmares.

My little ponies refuse to believe me, they leave the valley. They will not return. Any of the numerous horrors, I remember, could have happened to them.

I wait for the return of my little ponies. I hope you will know what happened to them. My wish is their safe return, while I try to convince the others to stay.

I wish you better luck. Mayhap a young mare or stallion will get them to stay in our safe home.

Author's Note:

Well... What do you think? Is she right or is she letting the past color her world? Is the land outside her valley safe? Or would a new ruler have taken a different route?