• Published 6th Jul 2015
  • 364 Views, 3 Comments

Memoirs of a Queen - ladyarcana



One shots of the history of Queen Rosedust. These are brief looks at the personal record of her past.

  • ...
 3
 364

Freedom?

Greetings. I am Rosedust, acknowledged Queen of the Flutter Ponies.

As current ruler of these precious ponies, I reside in a verdant valley of no name. Perhaps one day someone will create a title. I love these plant filled-dales we found. The tranquility has been much sought for, after all these harrowing years. The isolation and freedom is not something I can emote properly, on papyrus. That my kind can live quietly in peace for the first time since our foals took flight.

They are beautiful darlings. The way the light sparkles on each translucent filament. When they fly in groups it’s like rainbows. These tiny flowers of the future give me hope from my memories and terrors. My heart soars with the youngest, the ones born right here amongst the marigolds, morning glories, tiger lilies and white irises.

It would perhaps do all well if I explained the need for such isolation. Why I lead the others like me here, away from all those nasty creatures. The ones I would gladly blow away until my wings break off my back. That I would beget a war the likes not seen since the battle with . I will begin with the memories I recall most. As perhaps I should.

I do remember a time before the nightmares. Few moments when I first recall things.

It was the time I woke upon a river’s edge, broken cattails singing me awake. I blinked eyes against a too bright sun, everything blurry. My head was too heavy for my body. I then shakily stood on spindly legs. Waited for my wings to unroll, as a strange bipedal creature gathered me in it’s appendages. I knew not what was happening. All I could do was accept the actions of a strange world around me. My body too frail to fight, and my mind unprepared for what would happen. Alone and afraid, I was unprepared for all the events and experiments that were to come.

I became a service pony. A slave to their whims. The reasons never mattered why, I knew when others of my kind arrived, I was set free of knives, bars and shocks. I was put to work pulling carts across the land and sky.

I refuse to put the worst on record. Some things should fade into the abyss of time. If I could blow them away I would. I would fight them till my last breath. Then stomp on the bodies as I laughed victoriously.

I hated it, all the suns, moons, and seasons I lived/worked there. Everyday when the sun rose, they soaked my wings. Hitched me to a land chariot, so I could pull dead ponies to the giant fires. When those flames dried my wings, they allowed me a flight “home” pulling their screaming offspring along. Some of the ones fashioned after my body were kept as mounts until the offspring grew too heavy to fly. At that point wings would give out and they fell from the sky.

I yearned for a different life. Wished for my pale yellow coat to shine in the sun. Prayed that the others like me would stop crying pleading with me to save them.

The others were not as fortunate as me. The rest of the ponies were no better than experiments. The wingless ones, plowed the earth: digging until their hooves stained the ground red. Eventually they just collapsed in the fields. Poor things are quite strong and work hard for many years. Still they age and die, that is when I see them. In the morning carts.

Horned ponies, unicorns, were forced to use magic to defend the town from giant beasts. Most are consumed or die in large explosions I hear in my nightmares.

I’ve heard there are others living in the water, with beauteous voices. That is until I see and smell their meat on cookstoves.

There are another flying pony with wings of feathers, also given over to experiments, but only allowed to fly when the rains come. Those that survive the experiments, that is… I have heard of them traded to other lands.

Now a free pony, I dread the times I sleep and see them once more. Many faces, too many, so many I ask why I lived. What made live so long, when others died. Living far harder lives than I. Those nights I wake and gently seek everypony here just to be sure all are safe.

In any case, the culture died. We fled in many directions. Even took names for our different forms. The water dwellers are now called: Seaponies. Those that worked the land: Earthponies. The horned ones became Unicorns and created a fortress called: Tambelon. Then there are the feathered flyers, one told me they’d been named Pegasus. As for us we decided to call ourselves after the way we travel in the air, the Flutter pony.

Perhaps we should not imagine we escaped. It could be these words do not exist. This could be a dream, reality is the nightmares I live every night. Is it possible, perhaps the death I long for is my only escape. It is also possible I never left their torture tables.

I stated before it was the fall of their way of life. That allowed us to flee. As I was the first and then last to leave, I say this confidence. As well as a heavy heart for all that were burned, eaten, traded, skinned, imploded and so forth.

(The ways a pony can die are too numerous and gruesome. I refuse to list the actual depth, as I know not who will read this.)

I believe that it is important to keep a record, of most things. The next queen may need or want to know where we came from. An answer as to why we live, and where I want the others to stay here.

The history of our enslavement and the reason I’ll not let them leave this valley. It is why I begin this arduous task. My reason to learn a time consuming frivolous skill.

This scroll shall be the first of many one day. As such I see this as an exercise to remind me of where my little ponies have come from.

Author's Note:

Any resemblance to other ponies' stories is coincidental.
These one-shots are an adjunct to my original story. They do not push that story forward. I just thought it would be an interesting writing exercise.