• Published 30th Jun 2015
  • 477 Views, 18 Comments

As the Wind Blows - Jeevesie



The Canterlot dungeons have stood empty for decades, but now they hold one solitary pony. One pony whose only wish in life is to be free.

  • ...
0
 18
 477

03 - Grey Skies

As the Wind Blows – Grey Skies

"The other option, Free Bird, is that we lie."

Celestia's words rang hollow and heavy in the pegasus pony's ears, as the alicorn's wide eyes stared into hers with a grim, uncompromising intensity.

"We tell the griffins seeking your imprisonment that you are still in the castle dungeon. We rely on every pony from the Princesses to Shining Armour and the royal guard, to Twilight Sparkle's friends, to spread mis-information and rumour of how you remain in the castle dungeon; staying strong through your incarceration. And the hardest part of all... the reason I am giving you this choice second, as the more difficult option, is that we must make you a lie, too."

Free Bird tilted her head to one side, truly confused by what Celestia could possibly mean by that. The alicorn saw Free's quizzical expression, and sighed softly.

"My little pony, I wish there was an easier way. But, if you truly want to be able to go where you please and associate with whomever you wish... you cannot be you. You cannot look like you. Sound like you. You cannot be Free Bird, if you want to be free."

A thousand stunned thoughts surged chaotically through Free Bird's mind, each one as dis-organised and uncertain as the last. She wanted to say something meaningful. She wanted to address the princess in a way that added something meaningful to their discussion. But no matter how hard she tried, only one word came flashing into her head.

"H-how?"

Still gazing patiently at the obviously rather overwhelmed pegasus pony, Celestia explained as best she could.

"Early this year, Princess Twilight discovered a pony whose magic could be used in a strange and dangerous way. Stripping another pony not only of their cutie mark's physical presence, but actively stealing their unique talent too."

Princess Celestia saw Free Bird glance nervously back at her own cutie mark, and hurriedly clarified.

"Now of course, we would never attempt to do that to you, or to any pony. But Twilight Sparkle is a truly gifted magic user. She is one of the few ponies ever to live who are capable of creating new magic, and certainly able to alter existing spells. She believes that she is capable, and as we speak is working on, a way to change this dangerous spell. Not to use it to remove your cutie mark, and certainly not to take away your longing for freedom and your unique ability to travel and explore new places with ease. But to hide your cutie mark and to change your exterior appearance; not just as a magical glamour, but as a genuine physical transformation, impossible to be uncovered or seen-through. If successful in her attempts, she will be able to remake you physically, Free Bird. And through your own hard work, with all our help of course, you can rework your own past through acting lessons, study and rehearsal."

The alicorn lowered her head slightly, and nodded as she saw a glimmer of trepidation in Free Bird's eyes.

"I know it's not perfect, and like you are already no doubt coming to realise, it will still mean a great deal of sacrifice on your part. You will be free, physically speaking, and you will have complete autonomy to go where you wish and associate with whom you wish. But when it comes to talking with other ponies... when it comes to the details of who you are and how you became the pony you are this very day, you cannot breath a word of the truth. You cannot be you. Cannot be Free Bird. Not until your sentence is over, and the true you is allowed to roam the lands and skies of Equestria and beyond once more."

Free Bird's frown persisted. She pawed nervously at the balcony's smooth white marble with one hoof, and glanced skyward in thought. Before she could say anything, Celestia spoke almost word for word what was running through her head.

"Freedom with restrictions is not true freedom, I know. But given how captivity has treated you thus far, I believe it to be a genuinely better option, and our only way of setting you free... other than my own imprisonment."

The pegasus pony looked up at Celestia. At her ruler. Her God. She felt so guilty, so ashamed for what she was about to say. For not instantly agreeing to this plan, and proving that there was no way she would consider allowing a Princess or any other pony to languish in griffin captivity in her place.

"C-can I... can I think about it?"

To Free Bird's surprise, Celestia laughed warmly. The alicorn nodded, smiling down at her.

"Oh, my dear little pony... of course you can. Take as long as you need. The palace is yours to roam, and I will have the royal guard set you up in a more suitable room. All I ask, is that you please do not walk beyond the palace grounds... and I'm sorry, but I must ask you not to take flight higher than the outer walls. We simply cannot allow anyone beyond those who already know to see you free."

Free Bird looked up at the beautiful, clear blue sky once more. She shivered in discomfort, realising that while it was entirely open and accessible before her, the outside world was still painfully out of reach. And yet, she understood precisely what Princess Celestia was asking of her, and how important it was that she obeyed. After all the trust which the Princess and countless others were placing in her. After all the kindness they had shown her, it was the very least she could do in return.

"Of course, Princess. And.... thank you. For everything."

With those final words, Free Bird bowed to the Princess and exited from the balcony, leaving Celestia gazing out over Canterlot and the rest of Equestria beyond. She trotted slowly back along the short corridor between the outside world and the throne room, already becoming lost in thought as she began to weigh up her options. As such, the pegasus pony jumped slightly when upon stepping back into the throne room a voice immediately rang out in greeting.

"Whoa, you're back!"

Twisting her head sharply, her wings flaring in surprise, Free Bird blushed as she saw Shining Armour standing almost exactly where she had left him. The armoured unicorn chuckled at her reaction, and trotted over to her side.

"So the talk went well, I take it? Or as well as it could have?"
Free Bird said nothing, but nodded. All things considered, she supposed that probably had been the best outcome of the talk that either she or Celestia could have hoped for. Indeed, it seemed Shining Armour had been wrestling with the same thought.

"I have to admit, I thought you might fly the coop as soon as you saw open air. I even asked Celestia if she wanted me to set up a localised shield spell to keep the sky around the royal balcony enclosed. But of course, she wouldn't allow it. She trusted that you'd hear her out... and she was right. Right?"

Again the pegasus nodded.

"Yeah. S-she... the Princess said I could have a few days to think about my answer. That, u-um... that someone would find me a room?"

She felt bad bringing it up so soon, but the idea that Shining Armour might have remained here to escort her back to her cell in the dungeon was looming large in the pegasus' mind. By the lack of surprise on his face however, and the fact he looked relieved rather than suspicious, it seemed that the captain of the royal guard had already been informed of this potential eventuality. He smiled reassuringly at Free Bird, and gestured for her to follow as he began to trot back down the corridor through which they had approached the throne room.

The unicorn led Free Bird to a bedroom. A beautiful, luxurious bedroom with a vast four poster bed, its own en suite with a bubbling bath-tub, and and windows on practically all sides looking out from what must have been one of the castle's towers. It was the polar opposite of her more recent accommodation, and just seeing it brought an overwhelmed tear to the pegasus pony's eyes.

"So, is there anything else I can do for you before I go?"

Free turned towards Shining Armour as he spoke to her, the pegasus' beaming smile drooping slightly.

"Go? You... you can't stay a little longer?"

The unicorn shook his head, apologetic but with firm certainty.

"No. I'm sorry, Free. I would like to stay and help you settle in more. To show you more of the castle and get to know you as more than your jailer. Believe me, I would. But I have other responsibilities. Other jobs I need to get done before I can go home. I haven't seen Cadence nearly enough these past few days."

Wincing slightly, Free Bird nodded with understanding.

"I... I guess that was kinda my fault, huh? Sorry."

Taking a step forward, Shining Armour looked at the pegasus pony with focused sincerity.

"It wasn't your fault. None of this is your fault. I hope you know that. This whole situation... everything you've been through. You aren't in the wrong. All I meant, all I mean is..."

The unicorn closed his eyes and frowned, searching for the words to explain himself properly. Free Bird smiled, knowing exactly what he meant apparently before even he did.

"All you mean is that you love your wife, and anything that takes you away from her, no matter how meaningful or important, can compare to the time you spend with her. Right?"

His white cheeks flushing slightly, and his eyes widening at the pegasus pony's insightfulness, Shining Armour nodded.

"Exactly right. How did you know that?"

Free Bird shrugged.

"Because you love her. You love your wife in the same way that I love having the wind beneath my wings, and seeing new lands stretching out before me. She completes you, just like... j-just like soaring like a bird, free and wild... completes me."

With her smile fading, and her voice trailing off the closer she came to finishing that sentence, Free Bird turned her gaze downward, not wishing to let Shining Armour see how sad she'd just made herself feel. Before she could even wonder whether she'd been successful at hiding her swift shift in emotion however, she felt a pair of strong hooves wrapping themselves around her neck, and Shining Armour's body pulling hers into a tight hug.

"Free... whatever you choose. Whatever you do? I hope you know that you'll have ponies standing by you. Me and Cadence. Celestia and Luna. Twilight and her friends. We're your friends now, too. And we're here for you."

Before Free Bird could respond to the unicorn's sudden burst of of outward emotion, he was releasing her and rushing out of the room. Looking after the sound of his rapidly fading hoofbeats, the pegasus pony could see wet droplets upon the palace floor; tearstains from Shining Armour's overspill of feelings. She smiled. Touched by not just his words, but by how much he showed that he cared. Indeed, thinking back on it, a lot of ponies had shown a great deal of care and affection for her these past few weeks, even when she was not interested in accepting or reciprocating it in the slightest.

With that warmth settling over her heart, Free Bird yawned. She was tired. Only now was she realising just how tired her overworked and overstressed body still was.

She had a lot to think about. A lot of decisions to make, and a lot of ponies relying on her to make the right choice, even if ultimately it was her life about which she was deciding the course. But those choices weren't going to be made today. No-one was expecting it, and she herself was not capable of doing so.

Trotting to the bedroom door and pushing it closed, Free Bird retired to her bed. Her comfy, thick and softly padded bed. She lay down atop the blankets, tucking her long wings around her and laying her head down regardless of the absence of a pillow.

In what felt like seconds, she was fast asleep.

***************

Over the following few days, Free Bird spent most of her time alone. She spent it either resting in her room, staring out of the windows at the beautiful view, or atop one of the Canterlot castle towers. Sitting behind the battlements, hidden from view of all but the occasional pegasus guard flying overhead, and observing all of the bustling city beneath her. So many ponies, so many lives all running like clockwork. Oh, how she envied them.

Only occasion did she have reason to speak with other ponies. One by one she found herself approached by several of the guards who had stood watch outside her cell. Ponies full of apology for doing their duty, and overwhelmed with gratitude when she told them there was no wrong to forgive, wrapping up each and every one of them in a tight embrace to prove it. Once or twice she even crossed paths with Shining Armour, though with other business to attend to they were only brief chats, or simply a passing glance. Perhaps her most emotional run-in of the lot however was not with a resident of the castle at all, but with one of the few non royal or military ponies who knew of her situation.

Upon seeing a dazzling multicoloured streak burning through the sky overhead, Free Bird hadn't been able to resist calling out the name of the pony who had tried to rescue her from her cell at what had almost certainly been her lowest moment. Rainbow Dash.

They'd stood face to face, both silent and unsure of what to say, for a couple of minutes. Finally Free Bird had taken a cue from Shining Armour's book, and simply flung her arms around the other pegasus without a word; weeping into the pony's rainbow mane with grateful affection.

Those moments spent in the company of others may have been brief in comparison to the time she'd spent amongst her own thoughts, but it was both in almost equal parts which helped Free Bird eventually come to a decision. Which led her back to the door of the princess' throne room, and soon found the pegasus standing before not only Princess Celestia, but also the Princesses Luna, Cadence and Twilight Sparkle too.

After staring in awe at all the rulers of Equestria for a few moments, Free Bird cleared her throat and spoke, nervous, but sure of her convictions.

"Princess Celestia, I have made my choice. I thank you for your willingness to sacrifice your own freedom for mine, but... I cannot allow you, nor would I allow any other pony, to give up your own freedom so that I might have mine. Not for four years. Not even for a single day."

Luna, Cadence and Twilight Sparkle all looked at Celestia with relief. The eldest and most powerful of all the alicorns did not smile though. She frowned in concern as she saw the pained look creeping its way across Free Bird's face, and nodded encouragingly to the pegasus.

"So, you wish for Twilight Sparkle to prepare the spell. Yes? To hide yourself, so that you too might go free?"

The way that Free Bird's gaze shied away from her own made Celestia even more certain of what her heart already knew to be true. She sighed, her own eyes downcast, and winced as Free Bird replied in as stoic a tone as she could muster.

"No. I... I don't want to do that, either."

The other princesses stared at Free Bird in confusion. Twilight Sparkle said what they were all thinking.

"But... Free Bird, there is no other option. Princess Celestia told you that, didn't she?"

Free Bird looked Princess Twilight straight in the eye, her pale blue hues shining with sorrow. She nodded.

"Y-yes. Celestia told me. But... she was wrong. There is another option. There has been r-right from the start. And I'm sorry. I'm so sorry for putting you all through all this, f-for nothing."

Twilight Sparkle turned her gaze towards both Cadence and Luna, both of whom looked just as confused as she herself. They all looked to Celestia, who now was gazing at Free Bird with anguished sadness once more.

"My little pony, y-you... you don't have to do this."

Free Bird smiled, touched by her ruler's tenderness.

"Yes I do, Princess. I... I have to. I have to return to my cell in the Canterlot dungeons, a-and serve out my time."

All four Princesses stared at the pegasus, three of them shocked, Celestia simply pained to hear it spoken aloud. Free Bird bowed her head, avoiding their eyes, but continued to speak.

"Before, w-when I first came here? I had friends, yes. But not in Canterlot, and certainly not within the walls of the castle where I was being kept prisoner. While I was in that cell, my own freedom was all that mattered to me. All I could think about. But... as time went on and I felt myself fading away, other ponies got involved. The guards. Rainbow Dash. Shining Armour. A-all of you. So many lives tying themselves to mine. So many ponies I've come to care for. To respect, and cherish as my friends."

Free Bird raised her gaze, tearful, but proud as she looked from one Princess to the next, finally settling her eyes upon Twilight Sparkle. Princess of Friendship.

"Now, I'll happily endure those four years. I'll embrace each and every day I spend locked in that cell, knowing that by doing so, by temporarily giving up my own freedom, I'm protecting so many other wonderful ponies from having to risk their positions and their reputations by hiding me... lying for me. Just knowing that I have ponies willing to do that for me, knowing that I'll be close to and surrounded by my friends, makes it all bearable."

She took a deep breath, and smiled with a genuine cheer that very nearly broke the Princess' hearts.

"My cutie mark represents freedom... my freedom to go anywhere, to see anything. To do as I choose. And right now, I'm making that choice. Of all the places in all Equestria and beyond, I choose to stay right here. With, and for, my new friends."

After that, there was little more to be said.

Before long, Free Bird found herself walking out of the throne room. Princesses Luna and Twilight Sparkle upon her left, Celestia and Cadence on her right. Flanking her. Escorting her not as a prisoner, but as an honoured guest.

They followed her down to the dungeon, where the single guard on duty in that empty chamber stood stunned and appalled as he watched Free Bird step over the threshold of the recently repaired cell door, pull it closed behind her, and gesture for him to lock it behind her.

Once more she looked at the four rulers of Equestria, and thanked them in turn for taking up her cause. For taking their time and effort to think of her, and to try and help her. Then, smiling warmly, she turned and trotted over to her bed. To that worn mattress with its broken springs, and settled down upon it.

She laid her head down upon her forelegs, and smiled as through the iron barred window, a beam of sunlight fell upon her face. Warming her, and drying the remnants of tears she didn't need to shed any longer.




By Jeeves