• Published 29th May 2012
  • 1,485 Views, 12 Comments

Echoes of the Old World - Ultima75000



When legends of the past return to haunt Equestria, Princess Celestia and Luna call upon the Mane 6 and Elements of Harmonry. But are any them prepared for the return of the long forgotten "King of Equestria?"

  • ...
5
 12
 1,485

Memories of Love

Chapter 5: Memories of Love

“If you think that you know anything of the past; the truth is that we probably no nothing at all about it. Our actions and consequences over the years are proof enough even if they take millennia to repeat themselves.”

“What…” Princess Luna said stepping back shocked at what she just heard “What did you say?”
Atom simply stood there still looking at the Princess “I was sent here by your father.”

“Father…?” Twilight said under her breath “Princess Celestia and Princess Luna’s… father?”

“I didn’t even know someone like that still existed.” Shining Armor said

“Can this be true? It could be anybody.” Princess Cadance asked

“It must be…” Luna said steeling herself “But then again…” she thought for a moment “Could it…”

“Princess Luna do you know anything?” Twilight asked

“I don’t Twilight. I barely remember my parents. I spent so long imprisoned that I lost track of time…”

“Right, well I have read dozens of ancient history books in the library of Canterlot. But I found nothing older than the Mare in the Moon.”

“It’s not recorded in the library.” Princess Celestia said causing everyone to look at the eldest princess who had finally snapped back into reality.

“Princess?” Twilight asked “Sister?” Luna also asked

Celestia took a few breaths before speaking again “I can guess I am the only one who remembers. You see father has been missing for… three millennia.”

“Three millennia!?” Twilight’s mouth dropped to the ground “That’s more than 3000 years ago!”

“Yes, he is much older than us. You we’re a very young when father left.” Celestia directed at her younger sister.

“But why did he leave?” Princess Luna asked “If he’s our father why would he just leave his kingdom?”

“Because of mother…” There was a moment of utter perpetual silence as the last word sank in; especially for Luna.

“Sister what are you saying?” Luna said

“You know what I am talking about Luna. I know you have suppressed it for many years but this has to do with when mother… passed away.”

Cadance covered her mouth with a gasp. Twilight’s mouth closed instantaneously as she nearly fell over. Shining Armor comforted the both of them with pats on the back.

“Sister…” Luna said starting to get agitated at the sentence “You’re not saying that Father left because of…” She stopped right there before finishing her thoughts.

For a while Princess Celestia and Princess Luna we’re staring at each other; like two polar opposites. On one side was the elder sister, Princess Celestia, lady of the Sun, the epitome of kindness and warmth with a gentle but serious look in her eyes. On the opposite was the younger sister, Princess Luna, mistress of the night, the watcher of stars with furious glare of anger and grief on her face.

“This can’t be true.” Luna said not breaking her glance

“I’m sorry my sister. I should have told you earlier…” Celestia said calmly.

Princess Luna then angrily turned her face away from her elder sister before storming down the stairs and out the tower doors with a slam.

“I can see she isn’t exactly excited…” Atom grimly added

“What was that about?” Twilight asked “Princess Celestia what do you two know about your parents that we don’t?”

“It’s difficult to explain Twilight. Perhaps tomorrow would be a better time. I need to talk to my younger sister.” Celestia shook off some of the shock she was still experiencing “Can you stay for tonight master Atom?”

“There is no need for such titles Lady Celestia.” Atom said politely “I understand your concern so I will stay a while longer until I am needed again.”

“There is no issue?”

“None, I was sent to deliver a message. I have no outstanding orders afterwards and I kind of don’t want to go back the way I came.”

“So you’re staying here then?” Twilight asked

“For the moment” Atom replied

Celestia nodded her head “I’ll see arrangements are made. Captain I want every sentry and guard notified and to be ready at a moment’s notice when I call.”

“At once milady!” Shining Armor said with a salute. He bowed before leaving to follow his orders

“Twilight do you want to stay here in the castle for the night?” Princess Celestia asked her student

“I’d be honored Princess.” Twilight said bowing

“You can stay with us for a while.” Cadance said

“Oh I don’t want to intrude.” Twilight replied

“Oh hush you’re family. I’m quite sure your brother wouldn’t mind for a few days.”

Without another word said Princess Celestia made her way slowly out of the tower leaving only her student, her niece and their guest behind.

“So…” Twilight started turning towards the male winged unicorn stuttering a bit trying to find the right words “I’m guessing that you can explain all that’s happened recently then a little more?”

“I could.” Atom replied “But I’m not sure I’m the pony who should tell you that story.”

“Which story?”

“The Royal Family of course.”

“Is their father real? I mean he is alive and well right?” Cadance asked

“Real as any other parent lady Cadance.”

“Yes but…”

“Please ladies.” Atom interrupted putting his hoof up

“You know both Princess Celestia and Luna are royal figures but you have to remember that deep down their still only two ponies and they too we’re once young. You never thought that they we’re children once?”

“Well…” Twilight stopped to think. She couldn’t really imagine either of them as babies. The thought of a tiny, crying Princess Celestia or Princess Luna was both strange and interesting. “I never did think about it… but then again what about you Cadance?”

“I’m not much older than your brother Twilight. You remember when I was younger.”

“That’s true, but then what about you?” Twilight directed at the stallion

“I’m old enough, but young for my kind’s standard.” Atom said

“Like a thousand years?”

“Maybe, but who’s counting?”

“That’s a long time.” Twilight said thinking how long it must have been

“If that’s young then I’m still a baby then!” Cadance said surprised at the huge age difference.

“Depends on what you see through the time you’re given. Sometimes I feel every moment feels like a century than an actual second. Such is one of the disadvantages of long life.” Atom stated grimly

“So my life is going to boring is it?” Cadance asked a bit worried

“Time flies an arrow. Almost literally; one moment you’re a kid and the next moment you’re an adult.”

“I would think long life would be considered a great gift.” Twilight questioned

“A gift can also be considered a curse. If you know the term of too much of a good thing is bad for you then I probably have that in abundance.” Atom stated

“You take life pretty seriously then?” Twilight asked

“Very, except there are times that I wish that I could just stop, even if it is for only a moment of peace.”

“Why don’t you? I was a work a-holic in past and I know how it feels.”

Atom stared down at the floor for a moment before answering “My tasks are too important to ignore and I have other reasons why I must keep my vigil.”

“I understand.” Twilight said nodding “I’m sorry for asking.”

“Don’t be. It’s good to ask questions.” Atom smiled a bit “Enough toddling around in this tower. I should probably see to my quarters here in the castle.” He made a short bow to both Twilight and Cadance before leaving. Twilight and Cadance quietly watched as the male stallion walked out of sight as tens of thousands of questions raced through their mind.

“I never thought he was that old.” Cadance said “Now I feel like a child among them.”

“I wouldn’t say that.” Twilight assured her old foal sitter. “You’re older than me and both Princess Celestia and Princess Luna are well over 1000 years old and they don’t look that bad.”

“Twilight…!” Cadance chuckled
“What? You’re still pretty!” Twilight smiled back. They both began to laugh shortly after.

“Oh that reminds me! I have to write a letter to everyone in Ponyville.” Twilight remembered

“Let’s do it after getting back to the living quarters. It’s going to get late soon and I rather not be stranded in the dark.” Cadance said before leading Twilight to their current quarters in the castle.

The Sun had already begun to set and the Moon was poised to ascend the starry skies. Princess Luna stood atop the exterior balcony over the top of the throne room. She was pacing back and forth rapidly as the dimly lit torches flicked in the night’s breeze.

As the skies became darker and the stars became brighter the flames of the torches slowly began to ebb away. Suddenly they flicked back to full blaze completely rejuvenated as Princess Celestia made her way out towards her younger sister on the balcony.

“Luna…” Celestia called to her

Princess Luna pretended not to notice still lost in her thoughts and memories and wanted not to be disturbed.

“Luna sister I know you’re upset but…”

“Upset!?” Luna snapped turning her head towards her elder sibling “Over thousand years till this moment and you are saying I’m UPSET!?” Luna’s traditional Canterlot voice volume kicked in nearly blowing out the balcony torches.

“Sister…”

“Don’t you ‘sister’ me!” Luna cried out even louder “Why didn’t you tell me about father!? What else have you been hiding from me even before I became that monstrosity on the moon!?”

Celestia didn’t open her mouth to speak as her younger sister vented out in rage and frustration.

“Why didn’t you say anything sister?” Luna continued “Is it because of what I’d become? That I am the monster that children fear at night? Am I not good enough anymore?”

“Luna…” Celestia stuttered

“Is it because mother died because of me?” Tears began to well in Luna’s eyes “I didn’t… I didn’t mean too…” Luna began to sob as her tears began to trail uncontrollably down her face.

“Luna!” Celestia cried going to her sister’s side and cuddling her as close as she could “Mother loved you dearly! How could you say something like that?”

Luna tried to say something between the sobs and being cuddled into her elder sibling’s chest.

“She loved you dear sister. They both did and I did and I still do. From the moment you we’re born we all loved you.”

“Then why did father leave?” Luna finally made out between her tears

“He… he did it to protect us.” Celestia answered slowly. Luna looked up at her older sister listening.

“Luna, father did what he had to do to protect us. For reasons he alone knows: he had to leave.”

“Why?” Luna asked trying to suppress more of the sobs

“I do not know. I often asked myself the same question for the last thousand years.” Celestia stated

“But mother… she’s still…” Luna’s eyes we’re almost ready to flood again.

“Luna do you remember what we promised to mother before she passed?” Celestia asked
Luna sniffed and nodded

“We told mother that there would never be another queen like her, nor would we ever have another mother like her. Our promise was to never become queens but instead remain as princesses in her memory. That promise has held since even after father left.”

“But sister, will father… how can he look at me…? How could he ever…” Luna couldn’t finish her sentence before crying again

“Luna….” Celestia said as tears of her own welled up in her eyes unable to stave of the unmistakable sadness that the both of them felt. “I’m sorry…” Celestia embraced her sister tighter as they both shed tears “I’m so sorry…”

“I miss her… I miss mom. I miss dad too…” Luna said in between each muffled sob.

“I know dear sister…” Celestia said as her own tears fell from her face. “I do too…”

It seemed like an eternity of sadness in the dark of the night. Both royal sisters sat in each other’s embrace unable to shake off sadness that their long forgotten memories had brought. Luna buried her face in Celestia’s white coat as she continued to cry even harder. Finally after what seemed to be hours Celestia finally found the strength to stand up again, still holding her little sister close.

“Come on Luna. I think tonight we both deserve a little rest.”


Author's Notes: Original 5th Chapter chopped up in anticipation of the 3rd Season which includes the Crystal Empire and very possibly new background for both Princess Cadance and Shining Armor. Adapting later chapters as a result.

This and the last chapters (3rd & 4th Chapter) have been the only two I've been able too work on properly (as in editing proof reading and editor notes as well as beta readers). The rest is kind of in pieces. That and Mass Effect 3 has re-ignited some old flame and I always do better when another storyline inspires me. Maybe I'll do a Mass Effect fanfic after this one.

Will most likely post something more a little before or after the episode itself is aired.

Ultima75000