• Published 29th May 2012
  • 1,485 Views, 12 Comments

Echoes of the Old World - Ultima75000



When legends of the past return to haunt Equestria, Princess Celestia and Luna call upon the Mane 6 and Elements of Harmonry. But are any them prepared for the return of the long forgotten "King of Equestria?"

  • ...
5
 12
 1,485

Preperations

Chapter 16: Preperations


“The greatest things are the always worth the trouble; a lot of trouble…”


Though the sun was in the sky Atom felt little comfort in its light. Since he arrived all he’s left is more questions and dark warnings. He walked through the border walls of Canterlot still holding the same hard face he gave both Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. He didn’t stop walking till he was definitely out of sight and well isolated from the civilized world, then he dropped his face from that of a hardened glare to a look of sorrow and regret.

“Having second thoughts?”

Atom’s face turned back into the serious form it had before. “Master Windsor… I thought I told you not to second guess me.”

A small gust of wind removed an illusionary curtain revealing an aged pegasus. His light green coat had dulled out from age along with his mane which had completely turned whitish gray. A good amount of wrinkles we’re laid upon his facial features along with a large diagonal scar on his forehead.

The most distinguishing feature we’re his wings; though damaged and riddled with scars and scorch marks they looked still very strong and was further established by the brass armor frame along them.

“It doesn’t take magic of psionics to see that you’re troubled.” The aged pegasus said “This isn’t like you to be so sloppy…”

“I don’t need you to remind me.” Atom grunted “Did ‘he’ send you?”

“No I believe you asked for me?” Windsor said “You get what you asked for.”
“I asked for the others!” Atom yelled “But I guess an old veteran is worth more than a dozen of reckless foot soldiers.”
“Oh they’re here too I just wanted to see you personally.” Windsor snickered

Atom huffed and turned his head away from the elder pegasus. “Maybe I’d be more honored if ‘he’ came down himself…”

“So one of your teachers isn’t enough for you? You want another lesson?” the pegasus laughed at the comment heartily “Maybe a double scolding would improve your attitude.”

“Old geezers…” Atom shook his head “Where are the others?”
“Where ever the guest list sent them? Didn’t you get a glimpse of the Summit’s invitation list when you sent a copy?”

“I’m not one for parties… No”

The old pegasus pulled out a thin piece of parchment and looked at it for a brief moment.

“Saddle Arabia, Cloudsdale, the Fillypines, Maredrid, Neighpal, Neighpon, Canterbury, Alipolis, Coltstantinople-“

“Okay I get it!” Atom yelled not wanting to listen any further. “They’re everywhere now.”

“Come now my old student, getting impatient are we?” Windsor said putting away the piece of parchment

“Impatient that we have to go to such lengths to keep ourselves concealed. Sometimes I wonder why can’t doesn’t he just finish the job himself?”

“You really think it’s that easy?” Windsor tilted his head, his soft smile now turning into frown.
“Spare him a second heartache at least…” Atom coldly added

“He knew you’d say something like that…” Windsor said “That’s why I’m here.”
“You’re going to force me?” Atom grunted
“On the contrary, I couldn’t force you if I wanted too. But he insisted that you stay.”

“So what does he want now? Too run the both of Princesses into the ground?” Atom harshly rebuffed
“No, this time he just wants you to keep an eye of a certain somepony.” Windsor said
“I thought that was the original plan…?”
“Hardly, the pony in question is subtlety much younger and lacks a set of wings; A pony that is very acquainted with both of the Princesses. I believe her name was…

“Twilight Sparkle” Atom finished

“Ah you know of her…” Master Windsor replied “Make sure she doesn’t poke her nose in places she shouldn’t be before the Summit.”

“How do I do such a task without making her ask more questions? She’s curious enough as it is!” Atom said

“Remain in the court of Canterlot and under the command of the Princesses. Use that position as a way to counter any advances. Of course this means you’re going to have to cheer up a bit in front of the ladies.” Windsor explained

“Shut up.”


Sweetie Belle and Applebloom had to deal with the harsh treatment from their sister’s after their field trip into the Everfree Forest. Although both of them felt even more sorry for Scootaloo, whose mother went absolutely ballistic the second she found out. Poor Scootaloo was not allowed to go anywhere for the next three days and had her entire part of the adventuring kit confiscated. Though having hard lectures from their sisters they worried even more on how the rant with Scootaloo’s went.

“I wonder if Scoot’s going to be up for anything.” Sweetie Belle asked
“I’ll be more surprised if she answers the door.” Applebloom replied “Big Mac and Applejack made we work double time on the farm for each and every half hour we were in the forest.”
“Rarity made me stay within sight of her for the last few days. I’ve never been so bored I my life simply watching her make a dress unable to move out of sight!”

The both of them reached Scootaloo’s place stopping just in front of the door. They both hesitated. It was unnaturally quiet and neither fillies wanted to knock on the door.

“You do it.” Sweetie Belle nudged Applebloom
“I’m not going to do it! You do it!” Applebloom shook her head

The door then opened by itself allowing only the head of Scootaloo to fit through.
“Hi you two…” she said glumly

“Err… Hi Scootaloo…” Applebloom said awkwardly
“Um... What cha doing? Sweetie Belle asked

“Nothing…” Scootaloo replied “Mom has taken to hiring a babysitter to watch over me for moment…”
“WHAT?”

Scootaloo nodded her head slowly “Yep, you heard me. A babysitter”

“Well who did she hire then?” Sweetie Belle asked

“They wanted another pegasus to watch over me so it’s actually been quite different. They tried Fluttershy but she didn’t seem to be interested.”

“Did you get Rainbow Dash?” Applebloom asked hopefully

“Nah, they knew that it wouldn’t be much of a punishment then so she’s been trying to get any other pony to do it. Honesty they even tried the pegasus who delivers the mail; Derpy.”

“That must have been a disaster…” Applebloom said “Who she hires this time?”

“You’re not going to believe this…” Scootaloo said

“Fluttershy?”
“Nope”
“Rainbow Dash?”
“I wish…”
“Derpy again?”

“NO!” Scootaloo finally raised her voice calming herself down before speaking again. “She couldn’t find another pegasus so they decided to go for a unicorn instead.”

“Please don’t tell me it’s my sister…” Sweetie Belle covered her ears.

“Worse, she hired Twilight as my baby sitter today.” Scootaloo said with a hint of dread

“What’s the big deal?” Applebloom said causing Scootaloo to gaze incredulously at the earth filly. “Twilight’s not that bad.”

“That’s the problem. Twilight will follow my mom’s instructions to the letter!” Scootaloo cried “At least Derpy was klutzy enough to make things interesting but now I’ll probably be forced to read a textbook!”

“Oh come on! Twilight wouldn’t make you do something like that.” Applebloom said “Beside can’t you do anything till then?”
“Sorry girls but I’m supposed to be picked up by her. She’ll be here any minute now.” Scootaloo then took a look over the others. “Too late”

“Hi Scootaloo!” Twilight said appearing behind the other two fillies “Hi Applebloom, Sweetie Belle. What are you two doing here?”

“Seeing what Scoot was up too.” Sweetie Belle answered
“Now we know.” Applebloom finished

“I suppose you two got your fair share of a lecture?” Twilight asked the two

The young ponies nodded slowly and moaned in discomfort from thinking about it. The door to the house behind them fully opened allowing Scootaloo with her backpack to exit.
“I’m ready” she said

“Scootaloo I’m just here to watch over you till your mom gets back. You sound like your being sent to jail.” Twilight pet the little pegasus on the head. “She just wants you to be safe.”

“I’m not going to run back into the forest again…” Scootaloo moped “Why do I need to be watched everywhere I go now?”

“I guess they’re being over cautious. My parents did the same thing for me.” Twilight said
“Really?” Applebloom said “Your parent’s punished you? You’re one of the most polite and obedient ponies in all of Ponyville!”
“What did you do that made your parents angry Twilight?” Sweetie Belle asked

Twilight chuckled, her cheek turning a slight pink, embarrassed to say the least. “I snuck out of my room to go to the library.”

“What’s so bad about that?” Scootaloo questioned

“I snuck out at night, way past my curfew to finish a book.” Twilight finished “Parents went crazy when they couldn’t find me in my room. They sent half of the Royal Guard in a panicked search to find me. Shining Armor was the one who realized that I’d be in the library.”

“So what was your punishment?”

“My mom grounded me for a month. I couldn’t go and rent a book from the library. To make sure dad welded my windows shut and had a guard placed right outside just in case. I wasn’t able to read the ending for a long while.”

“That sounds… a bit creepy…” Scootaloo said thinking it over “That must have been one good book.”

“It was, but for the life of me I can’t remember what the title was.” Twilight said

“What does that have to do with why you’re babysitting me?”

“It’s to tell you that they’re doing it not only to teach you a lesson but for your own protection. It’s a thing that parents do I’ve been told.”

“You haven’t read up on this before?” Scootaloo and the other two looked at the purple unicorn a bit confused.

“My mom told me that a lot of things are not written in books and a lot of those things probably cannot be put into books. I never really understood that till I first came to Ponyville.”

“If it’s alright Twilight, do you think we can hang out with Scootaloo at your place?” Sweetie Belle asked

Twilight looked at the two other little ponies and then back at the depressed look on Scootaloo’s face. The little pegasus’s facial features fraught with confusion and frustration thinking over what she just heard.

Twilight turned and nodded with a wink of her eye.

Scootaloo then was then in the middle a giant hug from both of the other Crusaders. She looked at them before looking back at Twilight. Her frown changed into a smile.


Far up North within the Crystal Empire, hidden from prying eyes within the castle’s spire…

“Can we not take them?” King Sombra “We have the ability to do so!”
“Not yet…” Draco said his full attention upon the azure pillar of crystal.
“I grow impatient…” the ghost unicorn continued eyeing the now many crystal prisons surrounding him.

The entire spire was covered with hundreds of them, creating almost a mini crystalline hive.

“I am tired of simply waiting in the dark, revenge is within my grasp!”

Suddenly intense pain and agony devoured Sombra’s senses as sickly bolts of lightning shot out of the changeling’s twisted horn.

“You’re grasp?” Draco sneered at the struggling mist that was the black king. “I put you within that grasp. I restored what was left of your wretched carcass!”
The pain subsided as the changeling released the spell.

“Don’t forget it…” Draco growled at the black ghost

“Strong talk for a changeling…” Sombra said “But I know otherwise…”
“Meaning?”
“Agents like you, your always forgotten in the end… mine sure we’re…”

“Get out of my sight.” Draco said

King Sombra didn’t argue. He simply faded off into the darkness leaving the changeling alone with the pillar. Draco eyed the prisoners. Many we’re trapped with a look of horror frozen upon their faces. Others looked as if they we’re put into a deep sleep. Yet for each one he looked Draco’s eye grew more cross.

“It’s not enough…” He said scratching the surface of the floor with his gnarled hooves. “At this rate not even the entire empire is worth it…

You need more power…

“There is none to be gained…” Draco said silently to himself when he suddenly realized he heard something.

“Who’s there?”

There was no response. He was alone in this bleak nest of crystals. Unless King Sombra was trying to play a joke on him but he couldn’t since his presence.

“I must be thinking too much…”
There is a way…
Draco didn’t breathe for a moment trying to listen in closely. Slowly the sound of hoof steps and light fluttering wings we’re heard. Looking around for the source the changeling found none. Yet the noise grew louder and closer.

“What are you?”
The pillar began to brighten covering the entire room in a blinding screen enveloping him.

“Nobody… just your darkest desires”


Back in Ponyville, Twilight had originally planned to spend most of the day indoors within the library. But she couldn’t refuse Applebloom and Sweetie Belle’s request to join Scootaloo so her plans quickly changed.

Three fillies hanging out was not exactly quiet library time though the unicorn did admit that they would have to go inside sooner or later. At least she hoped so.

Despite being the senior and the babysitter Twilight couldn’t help but sit back and let the three fillies go out and do their wacky experiments. With the exception of the most dangerous tasks, Twilight was rather amused at the creativity and the tenacity the Crusaders employed in search of their Cutie Marks as she followed them all over Ponyville.

“Don’t you think you three are taking this a little too… you know quickly?” she asked them
“This is nothing! We once tried doing thirty different things with newspaper once!” Applebloom proclaimed proudly

“And how did that turn out?”

“We ruined a lot of paper.” Sweetie Belle said embarrassed. “Cheerilee had us reprint every single one of them.”

“Twilight! TWILIGHT!!!”
Spike ran towards the ponies so fast that he almost completely slid past them. Turning around and panting the baby dragon handed over a message from the Princess.
“You have… to read… what that letter… has to say…!” he choked

“Spike did you run through the entire length of town to find us?”
“Maybe…” Spike coughed before falling flat on his back gasping for more air.

Shaking her head at the purple dragon she unrolled the letter:

My Dearest Twilight Sparkle

I am pleased to announce that Canterlot will be host to the legendary Equestria World Summit. I’m sure you’ve read up about this. The Summit itself has been called in to legally honor the return of the Crystal Empire and for the other nations to recognize it as a national power. On behalf of Princess Cadance and Prince Shining Armor you have been asked to act as their Ambassador for the Summit.

Twilight’s train of thought grounded to a sudden stop as of reading that line. Her jaw dropped and her eyes widened larger than dinner plates.

“Uh Twilight are you ok?” Applebloom asked poking her. The poke snapped the unicorn back to her senses.

“Oh yes… um… You three go to Sugarcube Corner. I’ll meet up with you.” She said
“Okay…?” Scootaloo responded giving the unicorn a weird look “Are you sure?”

“Yes, yes!” Twilight quickly insisted “Go now! I’ll be with you shortly!”
“Whatever you say…” The little pegasus said

The moment the three fillies we’re out of sight Twilight bolted from her spot, letter locked in her magical grip. Almost inhumanly she flashed through the streets of Ponyville and straight into her library. Stopping only to open and slam the door as she entered, she dove right into bookcases and started tossing books left and right behind her.

“Twilight…?” Spike’s voice came from behind the front door as it was pushed opened
“WOAH!” *Slam!* Twilight had nearly thrown a huge hardcover dictionary on top of the dragon as he entered the room.
“Twilight what are you looking for!?” Spike yelled over the noise

“Ancient History and Royal Etiquette” Twilight said continuing to dig
“Okay Royal Etiquette I understand but why Ancient History?”
“This isn’t any event; this is the World Summit!” Twilight said pulling out a gigantic runed textbook from the back of the shelves. “According to what I remember reading there have only been three Summits in all of history! And just think that Canterlot is having one in just three days!”

“But aren’t they having it during the Grand Galloping Gala?”

Twilight dropped the huge textbook which landed with a heavy thud the nearly knocked Spike off his feet. Quickly she seized the message again and read the note at the bottom.

The Grand Galloping Gala will not require tickets this year in honor the Summit. The entire city will be completely redecorated and reorganized for a full five day festival. Schedule of the Date’s will be drawn up soon; attached is you’re Ambassador’s Medallion should you accept it.

Sincerely
Princess Celestia

Sure enough at bottom left corner was a small silver ornate medallion embedded with a single multicolored jewel fashioned in the shape of a heart at the center. Twilight could only gaze, transfixed by the object. If she took it she would be the Crystal Empire’s National Ambassador for the Summit. She wanted to take it. For her brother and her sister in law how could she say no?

“Twilight!” came a female voice from behind her causing her to nearly drop the letter.

The library door was kicked open as Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash walked in.

“Hi girls…” Twilight said rolling up the letter quickly and hiding it behind her “Err what’s wrong?”

“What’s wrong is that I found these three foals in Sugarcube Corner!” Rarity yelled pulling the three Cutie Mark Crusaders “I thought you we’re supposed to baby sit Scootaloo!”

“Aww…!” Scootaloo moaned covering her face in embarrassment, especially from Rainbow Dash.

“And why are Applebloom and Sweetie Belle with her?” Applejack asked “Rarity told me that there pegasus was grounded!”

“Grounded?” Pinkie Pie said out of blue “You mean like grounded to the floor out of the sky or like in BIG trouble grounded?”

“Big trouble grounding Pinkie…” Rainbow Dash answered shaking her head “Scoot here said you sent them to Sugarcube Corner alone while the rest of us we’re getting a snack.”

“I did I did!” Twilight said trying to remedy the issue as quickly as possible “I just needed to grab something important!”

“See!?” Sweetie Belle said pointing and waving “Told you!”

“Well what was SO important that you had to rush home to get?” Rarity responded to her little sister’s nagging.

“Well… umm you see-“

“Twilight, are you hiding something?” Fluttershy asked
“What?”

A streak of rainbow flashed by her as the letter was snatched out of her grip. “Hey!”

“It’s a letter from the Princess!” Rainbow Dash said
“Rainbow Dash, wait!” Twilight screamed but the pegasus already unfurled the letter wide open.
Two short seconds later her she froze solid in mid-air like a floating UFO.

“Well what’s it say?” Rarity asked. Rainbow Dash muttered something inaudible to the others. Applejack then grabbed the letter herself leaving the floating pegasus still frozen like an alien statue.

“I am pleased to announce that this year Canterlot will be host too…” Applejack’s voice trailed off for a moment as her eyes grew almost as large as her hat. Shaking her head a bit she finished the sentence. “The legendary Equestria World Summit.”

The other ponies excluding Twilight, Rainbow Dash and Spike gasped in surprise followed by an uncomfortable silence as the words sank in. It was broken when finally Rainbow Dash came out of her frozen state and began flying in wild circles.

“This. Is. AWESOME!!!” She screamed at the top of her lungs “Woohoo!”

“The legendary Equestria World Summit!” Rarity said with a hint of awe behind the shock “Oh I’ve heard so many tales of such an event. It is said that everypony that is anypony attends it but it is so rare!” She fainted on the spot, falling backwards until landing on a pillow quickly pulled out by Spike.

“Oh this is like Grand Galloping Gala times ten!” Pinkie Pie said hopping up and down across the room, stars bouncing in her eyes as well. “This is not just a biggest party! It’s the bigger than biggest party!”

“Wow… I never thought that something this huge would come. It’s so… exciting!” Fluttershy said light tapping her front hooves together

“Exciting is putting it mildly honey!” Applejack said “Princess Celestia said this is an open event! Everypony can go!”

“Oh this changes everything! We’re sorry we ever doubted your integrity Twilight darling!” Rarity said leaping in front of her and shaking her hoof furiously. “Sweetie Belle! Take your friends, head back to Carousel Boutique and bring out everything!”

“Everything?” Sweetie Belle looked at her sister a little dumbfounded “But what about-“
Scootaloo elbowed her in the stomach to shut her up “Just go with it…”
“Okie dokie!” Sweetie Belle finished with a wider that usual smile.

“But…” Twilight started towards the three fillies but the others simply we’re too excited to move out of the way and we’re hammering down with questions and ideas on the summit. “Oh…”

“What’s this?” Applejack said pulling out the silver ambassador’s badge out of the letter.
“Oh pretty!” Pinkie Pie said putting her eyeballs as close as humanly possible to look.

“On behalf of Princess Cadance and Prince Shining Armor you’ve been asked to act as…” Applejack’s face made another look of shock. “Twilight you’re going to be Ambassador of the Crystal Empire?”

“That’s great Twilight!” Rainbow Dash said patting the anxious unicorn on the back “Ambassador for your brother’s kingdom. You know what this means?”

“Um-“

“You’re going to be part of the World Summit! Like a real part of the biggest event in pony history! How many times does that happen?”

“We’re all so jealous of you Twilight…” Rarity snickered
“Yes, we are…” Fluttershy added
“Who knew that both your brother and sister in law would ask you to be their ambassador?” Applejack said
“You are inviting me too the party right?” Pinkie Pie also asked

“GIRLS!!!” Twilight finally screamed at the top of her lungs. The massive whirlpool of surprise and excitement went out like a blown candle and the library was silent save for a panting Twilight.

“I have not yet accepted that responsibility.”

“But you must!” Rarity gasped covering her mouth a bit
“Twilight?” Spike finally said after watching the others talk “Are you actually thinking about declining the offer?”
“Decline? How can you decline? This is your brother and your sister in law Twilight!” Applejack reasoned
“Yeah!” Rainbow Dash agreed “Plus you’ve helped them save their kingdom from the dark pony Sombra!”
“And found the Crystal Heart.” Fluttershy said
“There can be no clearer choice Twilight. Just take it!” Rarity implored

“Girls!” Twilight said again causing everyone in the library to once again quiet down.

“I know it’s just…” she paused for a moment “I need to ask them myself. I want to know their reasons”
“But Twilight…” Spike started to say before he burped out another letter the next instant.

“Excuse me…” Spike said as the letter dropped to the ground. Twilight picked it up and undid the seal before reading it out loud.

To my Sister’s Pupil: Twilight Sparkle

I request that you go to Canterlot a day early to meet up with your brother and his wife for preparations. In addition I would like to speak with you personally about a much different matter that’s been on my mind.

Signed: Princess Luna

“What do you thinks bothering her?” Applejack asked
“Don’t know…” Twilight said “But with a World Summit right on their doorstep, it might be important.”
“Do you think this might have something to do with that weird stallion we met a few days ago?” Rainbow Dash questioned “He did kind of come and go without much of an explanation.”

“It’s strange… I haven’t heard anything about him either.” Twilight said thinking about it carefully “Though he did say…”

“What? Said what?” Rarity said moving in closer

“He said he was working for Princess Celestia’s and Princess Luna’s father.”
Rarity fell over backwards after hearing it.

“Princess Celestia has a daddy?” Pinkie Pie said in overly cheerful manner “Knew it!”
“Gosh darn that does change a lot of things.” Applejack said “Though it doesn’t explain why he came out of the sky on a ball of fire.”
“Does that mean that neither Princess Celestia nor Princess Luna not actually rule Canterlot?” Fluttershy put up for a moment.

“That’s a good question Fluttershy.” Twilight responded “To be honest I don’t think even either of the Princesses knew their father was still out there. The only question now is where and why?”

“And the mother?” Fluttershy asked curiously piping the other ponies’ interests. Rarity sat up straight again.
“A mother to Princess Celestia and Princess Luna!” she gasped “Oh that role only belongs to that of a Queen! Oh she must be simply gorgeous, majestic!”

Twilight shook her head slowly “I’m afraid Princess Celestia said that their mom… passed away a very long ago.”

Rarity’s fantasy of a Canterlot Queen shattered itself. But instead of falling backwards and fainting again she covered her mouth in shock. “How dreadful!”
“That’s really got to be hard on the Princess.” Rainbow Dash said agreeing “But how does an alicorn… you know…”

“I’m not sure about the details.” Twilight shook her head “Although my gut tells me we’re about to find out. Spike?”

“Yeah Twilight?” the purple dragon said

“Send a letter back to the castle and tell Princess Luna that we’ll see her very soon.”

Author's Notes

Finally I had the time to work on this. Sorry for the super long wait but I did not except my current schedule to be so jammed up with crap. My proofreader has recovered from his 'condition' though now he's questioning if he wants to continue to proofread since he is now quite behind. Expect another chapter soon after "Keep Calm and Flutter On."