• Published 19th Jun 2015
  • 1,920 Views, 25 Comments

Spike the Unicorn - Dandereshy



Spike is allowed to stay in his experimental unicorn form for a day.

  • ...
13
 25
 1,920

Change is Good

Just an ordinary day in Ponyville for Spike. He was spending the day, as he usually did, assisting his friend Twilight with her as she tried new spells. He was waiting patiently by the desk with the open book, watching her as she prepared to cast the spell.

Today, Twilight was attempting a spell from a book she’d found in the Castle of the Two Sisters; it was a spell she’d been trying for days, but without luck. The spell was one that could turn any animal or creature into either a unicorn, pegasus, or earth pony, whichever the subject or spell caster desired. Twilight had learned a spell that could turn creatures into ponies, but they were odd-looking and retained their animalistic behavior. But this new spell actually turned them into a pony, one with more civilized actions and behaviors. So this spell would certainly be a better choice if the opportunity to use it should come up.

As per usual, Spike had offered himself up as a test subject, to which Twilight happily obliged. The spell wasn’t dangerous, so Twilight had no problem using her trusted assistant as an experimentee.

In the library, Twilight prepared to cast the spell on Spike, for a final test to see if she’d mastered it yet. She’d been using mice, but still wasn’t able to concentrate quite enough.

So, in light of this, she’d figured it was because she was using mice that she wasn’t taking things seriously enough, thus, not trying hard enough. So she’d raised the stakes, now about to use Spike for a final attempt, at least, for the day.

Twilight got into her spellcasting stance, as if bracing herself for the power which she was about to use. “Are you ready, Spike?”

Spike nodded. “Ready!”

Twilight initiated the spell for the umpteenth time that day, feeling hopeful that this was it: she was going to get this spell right this time.

As the spell swirled around him, Spike rose slowly into the air, enveloped in the multi-colored cloud of magic. With a blinding flash, the spell was done, and Spike came crashing to the floor, still a dragon.

Twilight sighed . “Oh, well, Spike. We’ll try again tomorrow…”

Spike watched her trudge away. He calmly walked over to put the spell book up for her, but something on the page caught his eye. It looked as if there was something smudged on the page, near the bottom, inhibiting the reader from seeing what it was beneath.

Spike frowned and licked his thumb, then smeared the mark off the page, revealing a part of the spell that Twilight was missing.

He called out for Twilight to return, who rushed up beside him so quickly, it startled him.

“What is it?” Twilight asked, her eyes glued to the page in the book.

Spike pointed at the now readable part of the spell. “You were doing the spell wrong this whole time. I noticed a spot that needed to be cleaned on the page, so I wiped it off and found this.”

Twilight stared in wonder at the now exposed part of the spell. “How in Equestria did I not notice that…?”

Spike shrugged. “You have been pretty worked up about this. Maybe you just weren’t paying attention. We should try it one more time.”

“Good idea, Spike. Let’s try once more.”

Spike assumed the position again in the middle of the room.

“Here it goes!” Twilight exclaimed, casting the spell with new-found hope.

Spike was picked up by the spell and encased in its magic. For a few seconds, he was out of sight in the twisting mass of colors, but the blinding flash was different this time

A few moments later, Twilight rubbed her eyes and saw a unicorn standing before her. The lime green mane and tail, purple coat, and green eyes confirmed that it was indeed Spike… in pony form.

“Twilight?” Spike murmured, giving himself a complete once-over, then he realized what had happened. “It worked…”

Twilight leapt on him in a tight embrace. “Yes! Finally it worked!”

Spike smiled at her. “It feels…different. It’s kind of cool.”

Twilight returned his smile and hugged him again, tighter. “This is great! Now I know it works. Oh, there’s so much to do!” She got up, running back and forth through the room, carrying a conversation with herself. “Now that I’ve got this down, there’s a few things I need to do. Let’s see…” She glanced over at Spike, who was still enjoying the new form he was in. She sighed and edged over to him. “Hey, sorry, but I have to change you back now. There’s a lot that needs to be done.”

Spike pouted. “Oh, okay…” He suddenly perked up. “Hey! You think that I could stay like this…you know, just for today? I mean, it couldn’t do any harm…”

Twilight scratched her chin thoughtfully. “Well, I suppose it wouldn’t be a problem…” She saw the big-eyed stare Spike was giving her, pleading with her speechlessly to let him stay this way for a while. “Oh, alright. But just until midnight. No later. Be back here by then, okay?”

Spike took off, yelling back, “Got it, see ya!”

“I mean it, Spike!” Twilight called after him, concern forcing its way into her mind as she wondered if this was a good idea.


Spike trotted outside, taking in a deep breath of fresh air and smiling up at the sun. “I have a good feeling about this,” he told himself aloud, then making his way to a very special pony in his heart.

As he crossed town, he encountered Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie, both gathering some food from the various stands. At first, they overlooked him, but Fluttershy stopped after she and Pinkie passed Spike, and turned back to him, a confused look on her face. “S-Spike? Is that y-you…?”

Spike nodded proudly. “Sure is! Like the new look?” he asked, prancing around the two mares, who were both completely shocked.

“Wowwie! This is so cool!” Pinkie said, leaping up and down in circles around Spike. She stopped suddenly, looking muddled. “Wait – why are you a pony again?”

Spike waved a hoof dismissively. “Oh, Twilight was just trying this awesome spell out and it happened to be me that she was using as a test mule.”

Cranky Doodle lumbered by them, pulling a cart of goods behind him. “Watch your mouth, kid,” he muttered.

Spike shrugged and turned his attention back to his two friends. “Anyway, so Twilight turned me into a unicorn for the rest of the day. Isn’t it great? I can do all sorts of things that I couldn’t do before.”

“Like what?” Fluttershy inquired.

Spike hesitated. “Um, well…there’s tons of things. Like…” he paused again, thinking deeply about his response. “I don’t know. But I’m sure there’s something. No doubt about it,” he said matter-of-factly.

“Okie dokie, then. We’ll see you later. Come on, Fluttershy, there’s not a moment to lose on this cake!” Pinkie said, taking Fluttershy’s hoof and dragging her away.

“See you later Spike! Enjoy your day!” Fluttershy called back to him as she was being led away.

He waved a hoof back at them. “Later, girls!” Then he turned back to his original destination. “Oh, I hope she’s there…”