• Published 18th Jun 2015
  • 961 Views, 5 Comments

Raptania: Of Raptors and Ponies - PrimevalBrony



After Twilight and the rest of the Mane 6 have spread friendship throughout Equestria, the map wants them to go to a previously unheard island kingdom called Raptania. What could

  • ...
3
 5
 961

Chapter 2: The Bizarre New Creature

The train ride to Baltimare seemed to take forever. Each turn of the axles seemed to go slower and slower. Rainbow Dash could have sworn that a tortoise overtook them, the train was going that slow. She lay down in her chair and let out a long loud sigh. She didn’t like waiting normally, but now that a super special map mission was waiting, her impatience tripled, to the point where she would break into the cab and drive the train herself, if she wasn’t bound by her element and that ponies were watching.

“How long is this going to take?!” she snapped.

“Well according to the timetable here, the estimated arrival time is in three more hours.” Spike replied softly and helpfully. Rainbow glared at him in a way that meant that she hated him for mentioning how long it would take, since she clearly meant the question to be rhetorical. She groaned louder and more annoyed.

Fluttershy had grown completely and utterly tired of Dash’s complaining; so she broke her usual susurrus to tell her, “Dash, just be patient. You’re acting like a child.”

Dash immediately shut up. If there was anypony that could tell Dash what to do, it was Fluttershy. She could tell anypony what to do when she got assertive. The stare is able to halt a manticore; her voice can be as stern as Spoiled Rich. Dash could swear that Fluttershy was more assertive than any mother.

The train started to go faster as they passed a green light. Rainbow silently celebrated to herself whilst Twilight and Rarity went to the restaurant carriage to get some brunch. Lemon scones with butter. As if there could be anything better as a brunch. The two sat at a windowside table and watched the train pass Whinnyapolis station.

“It’s lovely countryside out here.” Rarity noted as she stuffed her muzzle with another scone. Twilight nodded and swallowed the scone she was eating.

“Indeed it is. I hope the island we’re going to is just as lovely.” she replied.

The two finished all of their scones and returned to their seats in the other carriage. The other passengers were all gawking at the pony princess they were sharing a carriage with; but Twilight did not care about the attention and fame. She had a mission to do, and not even Celestia herself could halt her. The ponies looked out the windows while Spike went to get them all snacks.

Fluttershy saw him about when she stopped him. “Um Spike, you don’t have to get us anything. Just sit with us.” she said with a soft smile. He smiled back at her and sat next to her. The train continued on its journey through the plains, each sleeper giving a chuff to the wheels and traction rods of the locomotive. The ponies around were pointing out the birds and scenery they could see like fillies; and their constant chat aggravated Rainbow. She would have told them to shut the buck up, but the train tannoy announced that they were approaching Baltimare; which caused Rainbow to cheer and the other ponies to gather their bags.

At last the train began to slow into Baltimare station. The group got up from their seats and wandered to the doors. The crowd acted like a sea and flowed around the carriage, parting to let Twilight and Spike through; but leaving the rest to barge through pony after pony, mule after donkey. Spike hovered his finger over the “open doors” button as the train entered the station.

Soon the train stopped and Spike pressed the button to open the doors. The group all stepped off the train and left the station and went through the concrete jungle to find the ferry port. They followed the green direction signs to the port and actually managed to get there in a relatively good time.

“Thank Celestia it wasn’t rush hour. Who knows how long it would’ve taken us to get here then?” Spike quipped and the others nodded in agreement.

They all went down to the only port with a boat in it. Perhaps they'd find some explanation there?

And that they did. Standing by a large ferry there was a creature that was about their size, but looked completely different. He had a long reptilian tail covered in long brown feathers. He stood on two long legs and his front legs were still long, but ended in blunt claws. His head was on a long feathered neck, and the head was the most bizarre thing about him. His head had a pouch on his neck, his snout was long and in his mouth there was around 220 tiny teeth. But at the back of his head there was a small bony crest.

He smiled at the group with a friendly smile then blinked his cerulean blue eyes at them.

"Hello," the creature said in a very English-sounding accent. "I'm Carnithimus."

"Y-y-you're a....." Twilight stuttered.

"A Pelecanimimus?" Carnithimus asked. "Yes, yes I am a Pelecanimimus. And you must be the dignitaries of Equestria."

"How did you know we'd be coming?" Rainbow asked the feathery Pelecanimimus, glaring at him doubtfully.

"Well because I was informed by King Unen, Fourth of his name and rightful ruler of Raptania, to come here and guide the Equestrian dignitaries around our lovely kingdom." Carnithimus replied, as if he had been practicing that line for a while.

"Wait, KING?!" Rarity said in a voice just as bewildered as the others.

"But Equestria is ruled by the Princesses." Twilight added.

Carnithimus replied with a chuckle. "The princesses of Equestria have no power in Raptania, except for raising the sun and moon. I'll explain it all on the ferry" he said. He then walked back to the ferry. The ponies looked skeptical.

"Uh..... I'm not sure." Twilight said wearily.

"Come on, Your Grace." Carnithimus said, "It's the only way to bring peace to our nations"

"Well I suppose so. Besides, the map wants us to go. So we shall." Twilight agreed as she followed Carnithimus into the ferry and her friends weren't far behind.

"You'll never forget this." Carnithimus said. "I promise."

On the ferry, Carnithimus gave each of the Mane 6 a glass of wine as he began to explain all about Raptania....

"Raptania is comprised of 6 holds; Ore Rock in the North, Venator in the East, Mottisfort in the Northwest, The Capital in the South, Feinberg in the West, and The Dark Forest in the centre" he explained.

"Interesting," Twilight said. "So what is the city we are going to?"

"That would be Maniraptora." Carnithimus answered, "It's the largest city in Raptania, and the only place you'll find the unenlagiines." . Carnithimus then pulled out a large book and showed the ponies the unenlagiines. They looked like large Velociraptors, but their snouts were longer and more slender.

"They are the rulers of Raptania," Carnithimus explained, "They rule the kingdom in a fair and civil way."

"So why are we going there again?" Rainbow Dash asked.

"To sign a peace treaty between Raptania and Equestria." Carnithimus said, "Our nations have been meaning to join forces for a long time, but the princesses have never gotten round to doing so"

"Luckily we're here to sort that out" Twilight said as she raised her wine glass, "To make peace between our nations!"

The ponies, Spike and their new friend Carnithimus clinked their glasses together and took a drink.

The adventure had begun.....