• Published 15th Jun 2015
  • 368 Views, 2 Comments

Wild Moon - WildmoonNH



An alternate look at the events from the MLP: FiM series pilot, from a different POV

  • ...
 2
 368

Chapter 12-13

Chapter 12

Gallant Lionheart and Silver Bardiche assembled their teams in their main quarters to discuss duties for the Millenial. The unicorn and earth pony captains had been discussing at length how much actual "cover" would be needed in Celestia's absence, and with Thunder Arrow's team covering her travel, no one else would be required to leave Canterlot to escort her to Ponyville. A map with the castle's layout hung on one wall, showing the "typical" assignments for the three teams. Lionheart, manipulating a quill with his magic, started marking out areas for the Millenial.

"Despite the Princess' absence, we will still need some guards for patrols during the evening prior and probably into the late morning," Lionheart began. "We will only need about half of the night-guard to cover perimeter posts and a small number of earth pony troops outside the castle. We'll have the throne room locked down, no one in or out until after Celestia's return."

Bardiche's expression didn't change. "We're taking volunteers... and if we have more volunteers then we can have more coverage."

"This coverage will be more than adequate," Lionheart harrumphed. "I'm sure the troops would like a day off." He turned to the troops. "As you can see, we only need a dozen or so volunteers from either group. I would hope that some of you would take advantage of the time off."

One hoof immediately shot up. "First Officer Shining Armor, are you volunteering or do you have a question?"

"I'm volunteering, sir."

"As First Officer, you could have just as easily taken the evening off." Lionheart wrote down the first officer's name to a list. "Any questions before we take more volunteers?"

Another hoof raised, this time from an earth pony guard. "Any way we can split the shifts? Maybe then everone can at least get SOME time to look into the festivities."

"Now there's some thought out of a soldier!" Lionheart responded with mock-surprise. "Two shifts - hooves up for early or late, and if you wish to work both, we can do that, too."

Several hooves sprung up at that point, including Shining Armor's. "I'd like to work both shifts."

"Done! Now, who else wants a half-shift?"

The guards eagerly clamored for the few spots open. Another unicorn guard nudged Shining Armor. "Thought you might have to keep an eye on your little sister."

"I know Twily," Shining Armor replied. "She's probably not even going. I might just tell Lionheart and Bardiche to write her name down and no one will have to guard the library."

--------------------------------------

Umbral had allowed his team time off leading up to the Millenial to make sure everypony would be well-rested. He did have one last, small mission for Hatchet, who apparently didn't get the memo; Lapis heard the ringing of metal from Hatchet's smithing rig as he approached. He quietly shook his head in amusement as Hatchet was pounding away at a star-shaped blade.

"Experimenting, Hatchet?" He inquired as he approached. "such a blade looks unweildy."

"Not for swingin," Hatchet replied as he turned the blade with a rod, "somethin that needs t' be thrown - or fired from something. I seen smaller ones like this on some guys who'd tack em loose to their wings and - " he swept one wing in a throwing motion, "They'd all snap off and shoot toward a target."

"I don't think even Slurry could carry that on her wing," he surmised as he looked the blade over.

"Nah, just gettin the hang of what one would look like - can make em smaller."

"So... would you have a moment to answer a question for me?"

"Anythin, boss!" Hatchet halted the rig and stepped away from it.

"Are you satisfied working for me?"

"Huh?" Hatchet looked around. "Why you askin that? Who told you what?"

"Do you feel obligated to stay in here in keep working despite everything being completed for our mission?"

"This ain't work t' me," Hatchet grinned. "Can't call it work when I like it so much."

"Then I need one last favor before the mission... can you forge two more sets of basic wingblades? Ones like those you attempted to attack me with? And can they have hinged 'wing-shields' similar to the covers you used for Slurry's barding?"

"Never tried makin em like that, but Yeah, can have em by tomorrow," Hatchet replied without hesitation. "Who they for?"

"I would like proper... 'insurance' for the two pegasi aiding me with the Star Compass."

"Those two that you sucked in here a couple months ago? Yeah, easily done."

"Make sure they're light but strong, and fit well. And in exchange... have you some cold iron left from my barding?"

"Yeah, there's a pile of it by the frostforge," Hatchet pointed with a wing.

Umbral magically selected an apple-sized piece and brought it to eye level. His eyes narrowed and his horn shimmered, magic wrapping around the lump and molding it as though it were soft clay. The pegasus watched in rapt fascination as the lump was molded into a long cone, then twisted around a bit. He said nothing as Lapis magically tamped the fashioned spike's base in the frostforge before firmly stamping it on the champron of Hatchet's armor. Another spark from the alicorn's horn and the spike melded into place.

"What will they do, bladed thief," Umbral mused, recalling their initial encounter, "When an alicorn is the last thing they'll ever see?" his expression a mix of bemusement and mischief.

Hatchet looked at the champron again, seeing the "spike" placed so it looked like a horn. "Alicorn...." he whispered.

"Isn't that a kick in the rump?" Umbral queried. Hatchet remained speechless as Umbral trotted out of the forges. "I'll be back in the morning for the wingblades!" He called over his shoulder.

-------------------------------------------

Gallant Lionheart had made two copies of the schedules - one for Silver Bardiche and one for Thunder Arrow - so they could "keep track" of who needed to be where, and when. He was awaiting them when he was "contacted" by Umbral.

~~Look at your schedule~~

Lionheart's gaze locked on to the scroll with the scheduling.

~~Thank you. Timing is essential~~

"Of course," he replied aloud.

"Did you say something, Gallant?" Thunder Arrow had stopped in the hallway outside Lionheart's quarters.

Lionheart shook his head out. "Nothing, just keeping a few duties in order." He "handed" a copy of the schedule to Thunder Arrow. "I know none of your soldiers will working that night...."

Thunder Arrow read the copy. "Keep that," he replied. "I'm not babysitting for you."

"I offered," Lionheart replied and pulled it back to his desk.

"I'm sure you're still grousing that you don't have any of your troops going to Ponyville."

"Quite the contrary - more of my troops will be celebrating. I'll likely do one sweep of my own before joining the festivities."

Thunder Arrow snorted. "Of course you will," he said derisively before winging off.

~~Easier and easier, Master Lapis~~

~~So I see....~~

-------------------------------------------

Umbral's next stop would be Night Ash, who was currently "reading" a scroll. He was surprised to not see Desert Sun with her for once. She lowered the scroll, obviously hearing the alicorn's approach.

"Still studying? Your mind needs rest."

"Learning is never a chore for me," she replied simply. "I could spend the rest of my days locked in a library now that I can 'see' so much more..."

"So you will be more than prepared - "

"When we bring down Princess Celestia," she finished for him. This startled the alicorn.

"Rather... blunt of you, Night Ash."

"You've danced around what the plan would be all this time... then I heard your sorrowful song. This means much to you. And with the gifts you have given me - directly and indirectly - I owe you a great deal."

"This does not trouble you? Overthrowing one of the most powerful beings in Equestria?" Umbral spoke mostly out of surprise and faint pride.

"When our mission is complete," she declared. "Everyone will be walking in the dark. I will be one of the few who can truely see. Let them understand what my life has been for so long."

More than satisfied, Lapis conjured a few more scrolls for her. "Look these over when you've finished the one you're reading," he suggested. "They'll tell you much more about who you'll be meeting in a few days."

---------------------------------------------

"We're not going to Ponyville?" Violet Force protested. "Do you have most of the rookies taking her or something?"

Silver Shimmer was just as indignant. "You make it sound like we would have done - "

"Barrel. Rolls. With. The. Princess. In. Tow." Thunder Arrow finished for her. "You think I hadn't heard about the Saddle Arabia incident? They're STILL not talking to Canterlot."

The twins exchanged knowing grins. Thunder Arrow shook out his blue and white mane in disgust. "And since you didn't even bother to GO to the meeting, if I had signed you up you wouldn't have shown up anyway."

"You don't know that!" The twins responded in unison.

"You think I don't!? If it wasn't for your tenure I'd have hauling cargo wagons full of stamped-out foal crap out of ManeAsia. Just... get out of my office, I don't want to see either of you til after the Millenial."

The twins angrily marched out. Once further down the hall, they exchanged knowing winks and mirrored smirks.

-------------------------------------------

"Stony, I'm bored."

"Jus a couple more days, Dusty, then it all goes down."

"But then what? I mean, this is an important mission and all, but what next? I wanna work with you again...."

Umbral sighed to himself as approached the brothers' quarters, catching some of their conversation. Indeed, once Celestia is overthrown, then what? He had been so focused on completing the mission that he was saving the "now what"s for afterward. He walked into the room, and the brothers stood at attention before him.

"I see that idleness is not in your nature, Dustmite."

"I wasn't complaining!!!" Dustmite hastily apologized. "just... need something to do. All this waiting, can't we just spring it all early?"

"I will fix two problems with one scroll, then." Lapis conjured up a giant scroll and unrolled it on the floor like a carpet. "I have recieved this layout of Canterlot Castle, with each post specifically marked to where the guards will be at the time of our invasion. I will need you to memorize this, and guide Hatchet and Sandstone through the grounds to make sure nopony raises an alarm."

Dustmite gingerly walked onto the map. "Wow, I could roll myself up in this."

"Sleeping on the map might not help as much as looking at it, but please have it as memorized as possible before we leave in a few days. Sandstone, may I speak with you alone for a moment?"

"Everythin ok?"

"Of course. I just need to point something out to you. I'd like you to walk with me to the forges for a few minutes."

Sandstone glanced back at Dustmite, who was immersed in the map. "Ok."

Sandstone followed Umbral for the first few feet. "Please, Sandstone, walk WITH me. By my side. It's easier to talk to you that way."

"Oh." Sandstone trotted up to Umbral, head lowered.

"None of that. Head up, chest out. Show me the soldier I know you are."

Sandstone took a moment to shift into that position. Once his head was up, he smiled proudly. Umbral nodded. "The reason we're going back to the forges," the alicorn explained, "is to demonstrate something we had to do with your armor during the smithing process."

"It fit fine, and wasn't all that heavy...."

"But it still fit you, despite how much stronger and heftier you became from working all that time in the mines? How your steps are strong and steady, threatening to crack the ground beneath your hooves! A true soldier and one with a greater purpose than scaring fillies away with your size."

Sandstone's perplexed response forced Umbral to continue. "When everyone was initially measured by Hatchet, it was only a week or two after your arrival here. You had been working in the mines for months, bucking at the rocks harder and harder each day. Soon, you could nearly carve tunnels with your powerful kicks, with strength that even surpasses many earth stallions of your size."

As they entered the forges, he pointed out the mannequins that held each suit of armor with his horn. "The mannequin we originally cast is bare. Look for yourself."

Sandstone trotted curiously over to the original mannequin that Hatchet had made when he arrived. He raised a front leg, looked at the mannequin; raised a back leg, looked at the mannequin; he puzzled how narrow his chest and neck had been despite what was seen as an imposing figure. Flummoxed at the comparison, he turned back to Lapis, who returned the look with a faint smile of pride.

"You are likely one of the, if not THE strongest earth pony I've ever encountered. Your work speaks for itself, and no current Canterlot guard can stand up to you."

Sandstone's confusion slid straight into confidence. "Thank you, sir."

"That's more like it. Now, you and Dustmite should review that map together. Get on with you now..."

---------------------------------------------------------------

Morning Star was back in the library late that afternoon, digging through several old spellbooks that overflowed from the bookcases in the StarSwirl wing near the back of the facility. She wasn't at her usual table, but one hidden in the corner of the wing reserved for teachers and court wizards, unicorns wishing to expand their repertoire. At worst, she reasoned, even if Celestia herself found her back here she would have a proper excuse. Her teacher Lapis tasked her with finding two spells for their plan - "Abscondation" and "Hearth Badge". The first, he had explained, would be her half of the trap to be set. The second would be a "tag" for those loyal to Umbral should something happen - a simple tap to a spot on their body, a whispered word - a single trigger to send them back to Drakengard should this plan not succeed. While she had every confidence in her new teacher's plan, she understood these measures - even if things go well, someone in their group could use Hearth badge to save them from capture.

The first spell would be harder to find, as it was one that landed on a "blacklist" some centuries ago. If all the details are not there, she can get the rest from her teacher when she went back to Drakengard the following day. The second, however, was a long-forgotten one that she found on an ancient scroll that was partially crushed by haphazard shelving of books over it. She read over the spell a few times then quickly wrote out a copy for herself. She replaced the dilapidated scroll between two books on the shelf where it had been previously crushed. She admired her handwriting on her version of the spell before settling in on finding the other spell.

----------------------------------------


Desert Sun was the only pony of the group requesting a west-facing window, where she had carved out a ledge to relax and watch the sun set. Her silvery eyes marveled at how the sun would slowly change color as it neared the horizon, as if cooling off for the night. She wondered if Princess Celestia "turned off" the sun every time it was lowered, as one would snuff a candle before they slept. She playfully conjured up a small flame in front of herself and made it dance around, making it brighter and dimmer to an unsung melody, twisting and cavorting like a colt on a summer afternoon. She dimmed it slowly to a deep red, then let it fade away as she heard hoofsteps approaching.

"I see someone is taking the time to rest," Umbral observed as he approached the fiery-colored unicorn. "you of all ponies, one who controls fire, yet not feverishly practicing or studying as the others have done."

"No need for more practice," she bragged. "You've shown me how lovely a flame can be when it's tamed. Passes my time when we weren't working or studying. And I've not set the place afire."

"You've learned much under my tutelege," Lapis affirmed. "And there will be much more to learn once we complete this mission. I will teach you much more about your dancing flames, that you will truly be a Sun to my Moon, a life I want you to share with me under the stars."

Desert Sun blinked in astonishment. "Are you asking me to - "

"I could be asking you to sit beside me at the throne, or perhaps sitting on a throne beside me. Would you accept such a proposal?"

"But... me? Just some silly unicorn who burns things? I would think Night Ash more your type, she's a bit broader in the magics...."

Lapis sat himself beside her. "A Sun to my Moon..... a light to help me cast the Shadows."

Desert Sun lowered her gaze. "I.... I'll need to think on this...." her voice was faltering.

"Do not fear your choice- I will accept either answer. We will talk again after the Millenial. I promise."

The two crossed horns for a few moments before The Shadow of the Moon took his leave. Desert Sun could only look to the horizon, wondering if her lifetime would be enough at his side....

------------------------------------------

"Morning Star! Where in Canterlot have you been hiding??"

Aurora trotted up to Morning Star as she hastily placed a stack of scrolls. "So did you actually withdraw from classes? Are you coming back after the Millenial?"

Morning Star smiled to herself and pulled a few more scrolls down. "I'm not formally withdrawing, I won't give Princess Celestia the satisfaction."

"So you're going to stop taking classes? You had a perfect average-"

"Average," Morning Star spat, "Average is what I'd be if I stayed in her classes. She didn't offer individual study, she wouldn't let me skip through a couple of the classes to get to actual challenges. Doesn't that bother you, Aurora? She should be doing the same for you. Did you even attend the last few sessions?"

"I wanted to keep my attendance record up," Aurora replied sheepishly. "And Princess Celestia kept asking me where you were."

"She didn't take the time to come looking for me? What a surprise...." Morning Star looked over the scrolls she had gathered. "So I'll learn on my own. In fact, I want to try a spell, if you're interested."

"Couldn't you try it on some..... thing first?"

"Ha! This is a teleportation variant spell I found. We set a location, go away from that location, and with a word or a touch to an object or a spot on your body, you automatically teleport there." She "handed" the scroll to Aurora. "We can both try it, if you like."

Aurora read the spell over. "This is all in your handwriting - did you just make this up?"

"I copied it from a damaged scroll in the bookcase. Let's go back to your place and try it."

The two of them trotted out of the library together.

"So why would you have this spell? I know your teleporting is already strong...."

"This is a specific teleport spell that anypony can use," Morning Star bragged. "Once I set it, you can teleport to a designated location through an object, a spoken word, or a doing a specific gesture. It only works once but can be reset as many times as needed."

"I bet you're setting one so you can go back and forth from the library without having to sneak around," Aurora leered. "Somepony told me you were called to the unicorn guard-quarters over that."

"They were complaining more about how I wasn't cleaning up my messes," Morning Star smugly replied. "Most soldiers can't read so they wouldn't know where to put a scroll."

Aurora couldn't help but give a small smirk as they headed back to her place together. Once there, Aurora trotted to her dresser and gathered a charm necklace. "I'll use this as my focus."

"Okay." Morning Star opened the scroll and carefully cast on the necklace. "There. Now we'll go back to the library and see if this works."


----------------------------

Slurry was thankful for her "alone time", checking herself over in the (normal) mirror supplied to her. She had the wing-guards on, and carefully tested her wing movements to make sure she would still be able to fly with the weighted appendages. The guards made creaking sounds when she folded her wings, making her ears twitch at the noise. Once closed, though, she preferred what she saw in the mirrror than her leathery "gifts" from another sorceror.

"The barding looks best when worn all togheter," Lapis opined as he watched her from the door to her room.

She glanced in his direction, wings still closed. "These were the only part I was worried about. A change in weight while in flight takes all kinds of corrections."

"Thankfully they do not affect your weather abilities, am I correct?"

"Doesn't stop me from cloud-walking or storm-gathering, no."

"That's good then. I don't wish to take anything away from you. Too much has been taken already."

Slurry looked away, head down.

"I'm sure I've said it in the past," Lapis gingerly continued, "But your work - the cloud cover, hauling materials and personnel to and from... it's greatly appreciated. You make it difficult for me to reward you."

"You already know what I want."

"I've given you plenty of work, but I know that isn't enough."

"How would you know?" Slurry growled.

"Because satisfaction is fleeting in many things," Umbral responded. "Deep down I know you just want to be ... 'you' again."

"Any progress on that?" came Slurry's sarcastic question.

"Actually, yes." Umbral presented her with an open scroll. "I should be able to correct your coloring and 'unlock' what is keeping your mane from growing. I'm still working on getting your wings 'corrected' but remember- a feathered wing works much differently from the ones you have."

Slurry once again looked away.

"One other thing, Slurry.... once we've completed this mission, You will be free to pursue basic weather duties as you see fit. All I ask is that you tell me where you're working in case I find more information to restore you."

For the first time, Slurry's stone gaze melted a little. "Anywhere?"

"Anywhere you wish," he affirmed. "And should you remember the names of those that cursed you, I will look away when a... freak tornado levels that town...."

Slurry's expression didn't change. "I made a promise to you when we 'met', " Lapis reminded her, "that I would help restore you, did I not?"

"You did, for what it's worth..."

"I've done nothing that has offended you so much that you have left, so you have found some merit in my promise."

"Or I don't have anywhere else to go," she grumbled.

"Everypony belongs somewhere, Slurry. And I will see to it that you will be completely restored once I rule Equestria."

"You've said that before," she groused and looked once more at the scroll hovering in front of her.

Lapis offered a couple of other open scrolls. "This is my research so far," he informed her as he lay them on a table. "Read them over the next day or so. If you agree, be ready for work. If not, you may leave. But please, see me before you go."

Slurry looked at the scrolls, then back at Lapis. "You really mean that."

"I swore on the very Shadow of the Moon, an oath that crosses my own heart. An oath that I cannot break."

Slurry nodded and trotted over to the scrolls.

-----------------------------

Chapter 13

The "day" had finally arrived.

Lapis Umbral spent the prior evening going over his notes one last time, eyeing his map ticking away the minutes to his success. Once the sun was lowered, their plan could be set into motion. His subjects slept, saving their energies for the plan to be hatched. He awaited Morning Star's arrival as she had already mastered the Hearth Badge spell but could not find Abscondation - not even with assistance. He had several scrolls hovering nearby with alternatives if his Abscondation scroll was damaged or lost.

Violet Force and Silver Shimmer had already informed him they were not on duty that night and would be assumed to attend the festivites, so they won't be missed. They hoped to draw some of the guards from their posts before meeting up with Lapis, and would be assisted by Gallant Lionheart. Any guards that remained would have to deal with a few unruly renegades while the throne room remained open. It was the perfect plan, and if it weren't perfect all could escape with the Hearth badges that would be cast on their barding. As a favor to Morning Star, he gave the unicorn a small pouch full of pendants should she ever meet someone who would be worthy of their cause. His leigon would steadily grow.... under the shadows of the Moon at the Millenial.

"Summer Sun Celebration," he spat, "Tonight will be the Millenial Moon Celebration.... and a family reunion."

------------------------------------------------------------------

"Twily, I thought you'd be in the library."

Shining Armor saw his younger sister reluctantly heading for the pegasus guard launch platform. "Where are you going?" He called to her as he galloped up. "Something happen? All the Librarian told me was-"

"Something IS going to happen," Twilight sighed. "But the Princess isn't listening to me. She's put me in charge of the Summer Sun Celebration in Ponyville, but I needed to finish researching something...."

"It can wait til after the celebration, right?" He trotted up to her and mussed her hair with a hoof. "If the Princess isn't worrying about it, neither should you. Besides, she'll be down there so I bet she hoof-picked you for this."

Twilight didn't respond to the mussing. She sighed again and climbed on the platform. "I hope you're right. I'll be back tomorrow night if I can help it. Just... promise me that if something does happen, you take care of it."

Shining Armor saluted his sister, making her smile. "Yes ma'am!"

Her smile faded abrupty as the two pegasi shouldered into their yokes and carried Twilight off to Ponyville.

------------------------------

Elsewhere in the compound, Gallant Lionheart was reading over the guard roster for the festivities. He saw that Thunder Arrow had commissioned a half-dozen of his guards to escort Celestia to Ponyville, and would be leaving in the very early morning. He checked off the list he managed to squeeze out of Thunder Arrow and read over his own list. All but one of the guards chose half-shifts, which made his layout much easier. He positioned the one full-shift soldier on a perimeter detail, giving him half the complement and putting most of the earth pony soldiers outside the throne room. He guessed that would minimize interruptions as Umbral's soldiers could likely overpower the skeleton crew assigned for that night.

A slow smile crossed his face as he gazed down at the necklace tucked into his armor. He had a few soldiers he could trust to follow him once the mission was complete. In fact, they will follow his "orders" as the festivities escalate.....

-------------------------------------------------

Umbral sat alone, bathed in absolute darkness.

He had cast a sheath of Absolute Night in the room he occupied, giving his charges a strict order to leave him alone until sunset. This would be his time to go over the entire plan in his head.... and bring forth a "substitute" Abscondation for Morning Star's use.

In this absolute night he wove a spell even darker, attempting to bring just one last thing forward for his plan.

"Black is the night..... Blacker than the night.... Blacker than a battle in the caverns on a Shadowmoon midnight..."

In the darkness came a flicker of blue, a magic cracking the stone floor beneath him. His wings instinctively spread, and he leapt backward to give the spell more room. His eyes reflected the blue magic as something grew through the stone, a thorny tentacle spreading before him. It grew to his eye level, the tip pointing directly at him. "Show me," he whispered.

The tentacle began to glow brighter, threatening to dispell the absolute Night around him. The tip grew thicker, then erupted with a silhouetted face of a fanged pony with vacant silver eyes. It hissed and screeched, snapping at Umbral in protest to its arrival. The alicorn's horn sparked, and the creature shrunk back, its form looping and forming into a full bloom black rose.

A sinister grin crossed his muzzle as he condensed his darkness into a sphere around it, shielding it from any other light. "Thrive," he told the black sphere, "and I will thrive with you."

----------------------------------------

"You're the last person I would expect to take guard duty, much less a full shift....."

Silver Bardiche was scrutinizing the security detail for the evening. "You're putting Shining Armor on perimeter patrol? I'd think he'd be better closer in...."

"I'm well aware of his abilities," Gallant Lionheart responded as he pulled the detail away. "Centralizing him would increase his range over the entirety of the kingdom, but placing him close to someplace where there will be no threat seems.... irresponsible. Besides, he will have to monitor those assisting on the perimeter, and that much larger of an area requires more of a continuity."

"Now you're a strategist, too?" Bardiche snorted.

"You don't find my tactics sound?"

"Just the first time I've seen you actually care."

"This event is too important," Gallant Lionheart announced. "This is a milestone occasion. It would be disastrous if something were to happen. Celestia might even be safer in Ponyville than she would be here, under the watchful eyes of six of Thunder Arrow's best."

"I'll be doing perimeter as well," was Bardiche's flat reply. "Just a hunch."

Lionheart hesitated as the response. "If you feel you need to," he replied.

The earth pony commander walked solemnly out.

----------------------------------------

A crowd had gathered outside an ornately decorated balcony affixed to Canterlot castle. The ledge served a single purpose - to celebrate the raising and lowering of Sun and Moon. Princess Celestia had sent word through the kingdom that while she would not be in Canterlot to raise the sun to begin the day activities of the Summer Sun Millenial, she would offer her the subjects the honor of seeing the sun lowered and the moon raised. Half the kingdom had arrived for this honor, and the buzz increased as unicorn guards assembled beneath the balcony while pegasus guards glided in. Pairs took places on parallel parapets, save two who flanked the entryway. Whispers became chatter and song, blossoming into cheers as trumpets announced the arrival of their benevolent ruler.

The cheers overtook the music as the white alicorn strode out, shimmering under the rays of the late day sun. Her amorphous, pastel-striped mane and tail flowed with winds unfelt but by the most magically attuned, leaving a short lock or two to slip under her golden tiara and drop into her brilliant lavender eyes. Around her neck lay a golden necklace decorated in purple tanzanite and diamonds, glittering with the trickles of gold and blue in her coat. Her golden horseshoes made no sound as she centered herself on the balcony, acknowledging the throng who had gathered to this event that she had maintained alone for almost a thousand years. Her smile to her subjects gentle, and her gaze humbled by the love and adulation from those assembled. She caught faint smiles from her otherwise stoic guards; was it their pride for serving her, or the anticipation for that night's festivities? It mattered little to her as long as her subjects were happy of their lot and proud of their home.

She raised one long, slender leg in a tenative salute, hoof curled under as if hesitating to her job. The crew cheered louder and stomped their hooves in proud pony applause, only further humbling Princess Celestia. Her biggest responsibilities had deified her with the citizens and distanced her from any true relationship with so few. Her smile broadened as the cheers refused to fade, and she spread her majestic wings in preparation for her royal duty. The assembly only found ways to become even louder, stomping and cheering as she cleared the balcony with a single flap of her wings, casting brief shade over her people as she ascended.

Her blue-white horn flashed with golden light, blending in with the dazzling rays of the sun as her unspoken command gently pushed the orb to the horizon. The golds dulled to summer oranges, deeping to a royal red as its colored farewell brought cheers anew to those in attendance. Celestia gracefully reversed field in the sky, pointing her horn to the opposite horizon where the sun faded away. The sweep of her horn brought the stars forward, peeking into the darkened sky like curious, distant eyes. The stars themselves paled to the raising of a full moon, still adorned with the faded image of a unicorn head, vacant eye giving no suggestion of where it looked. Those watching had seen that faded image so many times that no one paid it mind - they were cheering the chance to see the sun lowered and the moon raised in the delicate aerial dance that Celestia publicly presented. Swooping once over the crowd to catch their reverent attentions away from the raised full moon, one last cheer erupted as she gracefully returned to her starting position, lowering her head in a royal bow. One last cheer erupted from the assembly and music tried drowning it out. Celestia watched as a local ensemble musically started the night festivities, allowing Celestia to take her leave and prepare for her journey to Ponyville later in the night.

------------------------------


Night Ash and Desert Sun had stopped by the Librem Noctem to see if their leader was prepared for the night activities. Desert Sun had seen the moon raised and described the image on the sphere to her blind friend, raising both of their anticipation for the plan to be set in motion.

"It's early yet," Umbral answered the tacit question. "I await Lionheart informing me of Celestia's departure."

"We're not going to stop her from going to Ponyville?" Night Ash asked, perplexed.

"She must arrive at her proper destination, my dear. Nothing should seem wrong until there is no time to step up and stop what we are putting in motion."

"But we're going straight to the castle first, right?" Desert Sun reminded.

"We are," Umbral affirmed. "However, for this plan to properly complete, I have to be positive of Celestia's location when she is to be revealed to the Ponyville citizenry. Once she is there, I'll have her brought back; after all, she should welcome her sister home, should she not?" The faint smile on his face had a clever curl to it.

"You can't just teleport Princess Celestia someplace without her resisting," Night Ash wondered out loud. "While she rarely uses the full extent of her magic..."

"Therein lies the solution," Umbral finished for her. "Most of her magical wards will be down as she is simply visiting a tiny village that has little crime to speak of. Her magic can be stopped, albeit briefly, but long enough that I can have her properly restrained. To this, I will need you both with me in the throne room to block both her escape and any guard interference."

"And the others?"

"Good of you to ask, Desert Sun. I do despise bloodshed, but those guards who insist on staying at post will be.... 'dealt with', if not by Sandstone, by Hatchet. Slurry will likely assist should a pegasus guard slip away. Her size and speed would be enough to pursue despite her armor. While they are subduing the guards, you and Night Ash will cast a shield of fiery sandstorms around the borders of the throne room while I use the Star Compass to bring Nightmare Moon home once more. It will be an experience neither of you shall forget."

"Should we be suiting up, then?" Desert Sun eagerly queried.

"Perhaps we should get started. This way, miladies..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even in the evening, Canterlot shone like a beacon on the side of the mountain it had been carved. Candles, spells and fireworks lit the buildings in an array of brilliant colors, from modest teals to brilliant reds and purples, finishing with gold and silver sparks. The crowds, the music, the lights, the NOISE! A Celebration as though the sun had never gone down! The spectacle fueled by multiple ensembles playing traditonal and current music, food by the bushel and beverages by the trough lined the streets in a show of prosperity and plenty for a kingdom that had survived a millenium in peace. Trendsetters and soldiers alike shared in the bounty, comparing tastes and telling stories of their beloved home or dancing to the cacophony that reverberated through the streets. The sound rarely dulled at the guardposts, where soldiers tapped a hoof or hummed along to the inviting tunes, waiting for a chance to jump in.

One such unicorn guard had a tune floating about in his head when his captain came trotting up. Gallant Lionheart, even while in full armor, still had a solid stride for his age and his facial expression far from the dour glare of the earth pony captain who had come by an hour ago.

"All well here, soldier?" Came the guardcaptain's amicable inquiry. The soldier snapped to attention.

"All quiet in this quadrant, sir!" the soldier crispy replied. Lionheart chuckled.

"It's not quiet anywhere in Canterlot, soldier. In fact, I think it's about time you investigated this rowdy row of people on the next block over. I can't hear myself think!"

The soldier brightened. "Investigating right away, sir!" he galloped off.

~~Did I mention how simple this was, Master Lapis?~~

~~Indeed,~~ the alicorn mentally replied. ~~it seems Violet Force and Silver Shimmer are doing similar with some of the pegasus guards. If not the music or food, proper..... "distractions" that work well on young stallions~~

Lionheart nodded to himself. ~~Soon, my liege. Celestia leaves within the hour~~

------------------------------------------------------------

Shining Armor marched back and forth through his stretch of perimeter. He couldn't shake the feeling that something was indeed amiss.... his little sister's worry might be getting to him. She didn't say what was going to happen. She was going to be researching. The first officer wondered how his sister would be able to study with the racket of an all-night party ringing in her ears, even if she managed to gain refuge in the Ponyville library.

The music he heard became steadily louder through the night, escalating the anticipation of the Summer Sun Celebration. He was well aware that almost all of Canterlot was celebrating except for a dozen or so guards who had volunteered - those still in Canterlot all on half-shifts, except him. His folks promised him warm cider and fresh cobbler from the market when he came home from his duties. He hoped they would not get swept up too far in the festivities.

His worry faded as he saw the stealthy departure of a pegasus-drawn carriage, flanked by four more winged guards. Celestia was on her way to Ponyville. Resisting the urge to call after her, he spun smartly around to walk back through his area. He hoped that Twily would meet up with Celestia at some point in the celebrations.....

----------------------------

~~Celestia has left Ponyville, Master Lapis~~ Morning Star sent.

~~Excellent. And the guards?~~

~~Most have joined the celebrations,~~ Gallant Lionheart reported. ~~Unsure if there are any in the throne room.~~

Umbral smiled to himself at the news as he secured his armor. He turned to the others, all in different states of suiting up. He loosely fastened his gear in place, watching as each member proudly assembled their custom armors, most chattering in anticipation of the night's plan. Executed correctly, there would be no sunrise. Executed wrong.....Umbral refused to finish that thought. The plan MUST succeed!

~~Morning Star, please find Violet Force and Silver Shimmer and prepare to teleport to the throne room. Make sure you are not seen when you do~~

The unicorn didn't respond, but he understood - she worked dilligently and would be ready for his order.

"GATHER, MY FRIENDS AND ALLIES!" He announced over their conversations. "The time is finally at hand. Each of you will have your orders once we arrive in the throne room:

"Dustmite, you and Sandstone will patrol the near perimeter of the throne room to ensure we are not seen.

"Slurry, you and Hatchet need to occupy the outer perimeter and make sure no alarm is raised;

"Night Ash, you and Desert Sun will stay in the throne room with me to protect the room in case someone chooses to interfere.

"Morning Star and the two pegasi will meet us there. We will all hurry to our posts, then I will prepare the room for the summoning. Maintain all your duties until instructed otherwise. There will be zero communications for the first hour after our arrival. Word will be sent once the mission is completed. Are you all prepared for this Night?"

"Yes sir!" Came the unanimous reply - even from Slurry.