• ...
8
 8
 3,031

Chapter 7, Siege on the North

The Elements of Nature
Book 1: 火 & 水 (Fire & Water)
Chapter 7, Siege on the North

On the balcony, the main 6, the Cutie Mark Crusaders, Firebrand, Agua, Sokka, Celestia, Luna, Cadence, Shining and the Chief see the Fire Nation ships. “Firebrand needs to ask you something, Arnook.” Twilight said.

“I have to talk to the Dragon Spirit. He can help me defeat the Fire Nation. Is there a spiritual place where I can meditate?”

“There is a very spiritual place. The city was built around this place. But we must hurry.”

They leave and head toward the center of Pegasus City. Zuko is following them on the roofs, staying out of sight due to his white uniform. They enter a tunnel that has statues of two koi fish in the front. Inside there are two ponds and grass around them. There even is a cherry tree in bloom.

Near a pond that has two koi fish in it, one being black with a white spot on its head while the other is the exact opposite in color, who are circling each other. “In my home of Abysus, there are monks who can meditate for at least 4 days at a time. My grandfather was one of these monks. I’ll need some peace and quiet right now.” He then gets down and begins to meditate. He looks at the two fish, which morph into an image of the symbols for yin and yang. His eyes then begin to glow.

“Father, would it be all right if I stay behind and mediate with him?” Agua asked.

“Yes, it would. Just be safe.” She then gets down next to Firebrand and begins to meditate. “We need to get back.” The Chief said.

“I’ll stay with them.” Twilight said as Agua's eyes glow blue.

“Be carful.” Shining told his little sister. After they leave, Twilight walks slowly to the two Avatars.

“Firebrand? Agua? Can you hear me?” There is no response. “I knew about the Avatar since I was young. But I never believed it. But for some reason, I knew you were real. And I always knew you’d return, no matter how manny times I was told you weren't real.” Twilight said with all her heart.

“Me, too.” Twilight turns around and sees Zuko, out of his white uniform and holding a torch.

“The Fire Lord’s son. You took Fire’ from Ponyville.” Twilight said when she recognizes Zuko. Zuko then puts the torch down to the ground and the grass begins to burn. Zuko then takes out a small flamethrower (which is really a toy) and shoots (he's using firebending). Twilight creates a shield and blocks the fire. Zuko then drops the toy and uses his firebending, but Twilight blocks it again.

“Who are you?” Zuko asked the clearly talented Unicorn mare.

“My name is Twilight Sparkle, and I am Princess Celestia’s faithful student and wielder of the Element of Magic.” Zuko then shots another fire blast, but also makes another one when Twilight is paying only attention to the first. She blokes the first but the second hits and Twilight is sent flying across the chamber.

Zuko then hears a Pegasus guard striking the warning bell as the Fire Nation moves closer, as well as all the soldiers escorting the civilians to shelters on the far side of the city. Zuko then moves an unconscious Twilight so she is facing up. “I’m not allowed to go home without at least one of them.”

==================================================================

On the outer wall, the soldiers are standing, waiting for the order or waiting for the Fire Nation to attack. Arnook then shouts a long "Oooooooh!" causing the soldiers to bag their spears on the ground multiple times, the signal to be ready for anything. The younger soldiers are terrified by what they see, an entire fleet of Fire Nation ships, 7 carriers, 12 destroyers, and 25 smaller ships.

==================================================================

On Zhao’s ship, he and Iroh are discussing their plan. “The pegasi get their power from the moon. They will get stronger as the day comes to an end.” Iroh said.

“General Iroh, I’ve been keeping a secret.” Zhao said.

“And what is that?” Iroh asked.

“In my raid of the Great Library earlier this year, I found a scroll that tells the location of the Ocean and Moon Spirits.” Zhao said as he studies the battle plan.

“To meet a Spirit would be a great honor.” Iroh said.

“Well, I hope I can give you that honor.” Zhao said.

==================================================================

On a smaller ship that made it to the wall, a Fire Nation soldier climbs on the back of a giant Komodo Dragon. They begin to climb the wall of the city while fire balls fly across the sky and hit both the wall but also the city. Once they get on top, he pulls out a flamethrower and shots. Meanwhile, some Fire Nation solders are using drills to break through the ice underneath the city.

==================================================================

Back at the sacred ponds, Shining finds Twilight unconscious but breathing. The others soon join him. Twilight begins to wake up. “What happened?” Cadence asked her.

“Prince Zuko is here in the city. He took both Fire’ and Agua.” Twilight said out of worry.

==================================================================

In a storage room, Zuko places both Fire’ and Agua next to some barrels. He then heads to a window and sees what is happening outside. “We’ll just wait till everypony’s fighting everypony. Then in the night, we’ll slip out.”

==================================================================

In the Spirit World, both Firebrand and Agua see that they made it. “Is this the Spirit World?” Agua asked.

“Yes, it is. Come on, I know where the Dragon Spirit is at.” They run for the Dragon Spirit’s cave to speck with him.

“Hello! Hello!” Agua yelled out as they make it to the Dragon Spirit’s cave and find him inside. “Please,” Agua said, “tell us how to beat the Fire Nation!”

The spirit then heads toward Agua. “You are not dealing with the loss of your mother, Water Avatar Agua. You are stopping yourself from grieving. You are angry. You must let this go.

As the Avatars, you are not meant to hurt others.” The Dragon Spirit then slithers past the two and out of the cave, but then peers back at Agua. “Use the ocean, Agua. Show them the power of water. Go! Do this now.” The spirit then flies off as they begin to here Zuko talking.

==================================================================

“My younger sister, Azula, was always the special one. She was a karate prodigy. My father loves her.” After a moment, Zuko sighs, “He can’t even look at me sometimes. He says I'm like my mother.” Agua and Firebrand then make their escape, with Zuko in hot pursuit. He uses some firebending and breaks a pot they were behind.

==================================================================

On a warship, some Fire Nation soldiers use a giant flamethrower to melt a hole in the wall. Once they do that, others riding Mongoose dragons enter, followed by some foot soldiers. They go on a rampage. One of the pegasi warriors is using his weather magic to his advantage, by creating clouds that shoot lightning. Other pegasi are doing the same while others use swords and spears. One is even creating a small tornado. “I advise that you pull back your soldiers soon. They will be trap in the city when Luna brings the moon’s power out.” Iroh said to Zhao.

“Do not worry about the moon’s power, General Iroh.”

“Why should you not be worry about the moon’s power?”

“Because your brother, Fire Lord Ozia, and I have decided it is our best interest to kill the Moon Spirit.”

“What?” Iroh said, shocked.

==================================================================

Back at the storeroom, Zuko is looking for Fire’ and Agua. He finds the ropes he used to tie them with on fire on the floor. He begins to walk to them when Agua uses her waterbending to make a jug full of water move, attracting Zuko's attention. Fire’ and Agua are now right behind Zuko, moving to stay out of sight. Zuko then turns around and tries to hit Fire’ but misses. He continues to throw punches but they either miss or they are block. Agua tries to get help but Zuko grabs her. She throws a punch to his shoulder.

==================================================================

Not far away, the others are looking for Zuko, Firebrand, and Agua. “Why would the Fire Lord’s son want my daughter?”

“Because, she's the Avatar of Water, father.” Sokka said.

“What? Why didn’t you tell me this earlier Sokka?” Arnook said out of shock.

“Because she thought it would be best not to tell you until we were sure.”

“Calm down y’all, we’ll find them.” Applejack said to the two. Twilight the stops and sees some fire in a storage room.

==================================================================

In there, Zuko is using his firebending while Fire’ uses his to stop the attacks along with Agua with her water bending. Then a magic beam fires at Zuko and he is frozen in ice. Fire’ and Agua see Twilight who did it. The others soon join her. The Chief and Sokka huge Agua out of relief.

Twilight then looks at Firebrand. “Are you OK? Did the Spirits tell you anything?”

“Yes. The Dragon Spirit talked to us. We know what to do.”

“Firebrand, we have to go.” Celestia said.

The others soon leave, but Firebrand goes to a window and sees what is going on outside. He then heads to the hallway, but before he does so, he pulls out his sword and melts the ice around Zuko’s head so he can breathe. “You won’t be killed by any pegasi if you stay hidden here.” Fire’ then heads for the door. “And thanks for saving me from Zhao’s soldiers. We have a lot in common. We could be friends, you know.” Fire’ said as he leaves.

==================================================================

At the wall, Zhao, Iroh, and some soldiers are entering the city. They see that the pegasi and Fire Nation troops are at a stand still. “There getting stronger.” A soldier then hands Zhao a scroll. “This is a scroll from the Grate Library. This is our map. Our world is going to change soon, gentlecolts.”

Soon, the main 6, the Cutie Mark Crusader, Firebrand, Agua, Sokka, the Chief, Celestia, Luna, Cadence, and Shining are heading to the wall when they see Zhao, Iroh, and there soldiers going across the bridge.

“See where there going! Me and Agua will go join the fight!”

“I’m coming with you.” Twilight firmly said.

“All right.”

“Wait!” Arnook said, “I need to get you something, Agua.” He then flies to the armory. He opens a cabinet and pulls out a trident with water patterns on it, and 3 water sapphires for the sharp points. He then flies back and gives it to Agua. “This belong to your mother, she wanted me to give this to you when I realized your destiny. Today, I found that destiny.” He then hugs her and kisses her on the forehead. “Be safe.”

“I will father.” She, Firebrand and Twilight then leave while the others follow Zhao. They jump and land behind 4 pegasi who are having trouble with some Fire Nation troops. They use there firebending and waterbending, as well as their weapons, to send them flying.

==================================================================

In the storage room, Zuko closes his eyes as he concentrates. Steam than appears as the ice begins to crack. The reason for this is that his hoofs are on fire, but he isn't being burned by it.

==================================================================

At the sacred spring, Zhao and Iroh arrive. They stop in front of the pond that has the koi fish. “They are called many names: Yin and Yang, push and pull. May I introduce you to the mysterious Ocean and Moon Spirits?” Zhao then removes his helmet and gets a small black bag. He then captures the Moon Spirit (the white one with the black dot). They hear some ice cracking above them. “Why do Spirits take the form of such benign things? It leaves them so vulnerable.” Zhao asks Iroh.

“To teach us and other sentient species kindness and humility. Commander Zhao, there are certain things that creature-kind should not tamper with. The Spirits and the Spirit World is one of them.” Celestia, Luna, Candace, Shining, Rainbow, Sokka, the Chief, the CMC, Fluttershy, Applejack, Pinkie, and Rarity arrive and see whats going on.

“What are you doing here?” Chief Arnook said.

“Stop, Zhao.” Iroh said, “The world will be out of balance. Everypony will be hurt.”

“The Fire Nation is too powerful ... to worry about foal's superstitions, General Iroh.”

“Commander Zhao, don’t.”

Zhao then looks at the Cutie Mark Crusaders, who are making puppy dog eyes for him to stop. He then pulls out a knife. After a few moments, Zhao makes his decision. “We are now the gods!” He then stabs the Moon Spirit, killing it.

NO!” Iroh yells out as Prince Sokka falls to the ground while Luna begins to shake and then falls.

“Luna!” Celestia called out.

“I ... can’t ... breath!” Luna said, unable to breath.

==================================================================

Outside in the fight, both Firebrand and Agua get painful headaches. “Are you all right!?” Twilight asked them.

“No. No were not, the Moon Spirit has been killed. Look.” Firebrand than points to the moon as it turns blood-red. The pegasi then loss their ability to control weather, some even fall through the clouds as they try to land on them.

==================================================================

Back at the sacred spring, Celestia tries to comfort her dying sister, who has returned to the way she was when she was freed from Nightmare Moon by the Elements of Harmony. Rainbow then tries to attack Zhao, but Iroh stops her. “Leave him to me, Element of Loyalty.” Iroh said.

Zhao then laughs at Iroh. “Being a traitor won’t help you.” He said. "You have no weapons. You know what your problem is. You and your long forgotten ways are far too soft, General Iroh.“ Iroh’s eyes then turn a flame red.

"Tell me, Zhao, if I'm too soft, how am I able to do this." He then stands on his hind lags. He then does a strange technique thats like Firebrands. His hoofs then catch on fire and he shoots out flames from them that are at least 6 feet in length each, burning with an intensity that can rival a fully grown dragons fire.

“He’s making fire out of nothing!” The troops then run, leaving Zhao behind. Iroh points one of his burning hoofs at him. He then runs with the other Fire Nation soldiers. Iroh then stops and looks at the pond with the main 6 (mines Twilight), the CMC, Sokka, the Chief, Celestia, Cadence, and Shining, and see the dead Moon Spirit and the Ocean Spirit circling it.

==================================================================

Outside in the red night, the Fire Nation is winning. Firebrand, Agua, and Twilight watch in horror at what has happened. Fire’ & Agua then remember what the Dragon Spirit said to them, “As the Avatars, you are not meant to hurt others. You must show them the power of Water, Agua.

==================================================================

At the sacred spring, Celestia is beginning to mourn for Luna, whose eyes are turning white, while the others stare at the dead Moon Spirit. “All is lost.” Sokka said.

Iroh then notices Sokka’s white mane and tail. “You have been anointed by the Moon Spirit.”

“He gave me life when I was a foal.”

“Then theres still a chance.” The others then look at Iroh. “You can give your life back for the Spirit’s.”

“Don’t listen to him, he's Fire Nation.” Rainbow said to Sokka.

“Nothing is ever truly lost.” Iroh said to Sokka.

“Is it mine if I give it back, if I choose?” Sokka asked.

“There are reasons each of us are born that go beyond our cutie marks. We have to find those reasons.” Iroh said, being a clear example due to him being a Firebender.

Sokka then looks at Luna, who’s slipping. She then looks to his father, who is hoping he will make the right choice. “This was the reason I was born.” Sokka finally said.

“Sokka, please.” Rainbow said.

“There is no love without sacrifice.” Sokka said to Rainbow.

“Sokka, what are you doing? You don’t know what will happen.”

“I believe my life force will leave my body and return to the Moon Spirit, Rainbow.”

“And then what?”

“My soul will no longer exist in this form.”

“Please, don’t do this. There must be another way. I can’t let you do this. I’m supposed to protect you.”

“My people are dying, Rainbow. Those who are in charge of others have a responsibility. It is time we show the Fire Nation we believe in our beliefs as much as they believe in theres.”

“But Sokka...”

“Rainbow Dash.” Rainbow then turns and sees Celestia looking at her. “Let him do it.”

“Alright.” Rainbow said in agreement.

“The spirits gave me a vision when you were born, Sokka. I saw a brave colt giving life to the Moon Spirit. I knew this day would come.” Arnook said to his son.

Sokka then turns to Rainbow, “I will miss you more than you know.” He then kisses her before he walks into the sacred springs. He goes on his back, then a bright light appears as Sokka’s life force returns to the Moon Spirit, who come back to life. Sokka’s mane and tail then turn black as The Moon Spirit then begins to swim, and Luna returns to her original form.

==================================================================

Outside, the Fire Nation soldiers take notice as the pegasi have regain their power as the moon glows white again. Agua, Firebrand and Twilight stare at the now normal moon. Zhao also sees that the moon has return to its original color. The fight then continues.

==================================================================

Shining then uses his magic to pull Sokka out as the moon returns to its original glow. When Shining lets his lifeless body down, both Rainbow and Arnook begin to cry. Iroh then leaves. “We need to find Zhao.” Celestia said to Luna, who nods in agreement. They soon leave.

==================================================================

On a bridge Zhao is on, he hears something coming and braces himself. He sees that its Zuko. “I killed you.”

Zuko then gets ready for a fight, when Iroh appears behind him. “Come away from him, nephew. There are too many soldiers now. They will never let you take one of the Avatars. We must leave immediately. He wants to fight you so he can capture you, Zuko. Walk away! Come!”

Zuko then begins to head for his uncle. Zhao then pulls out a small flamethrower and fires at the two, but Iroh puts his front hoofs together and diverts the flames with his firebending. “You stand alone." Iroh said. "And that has always been your great mistake.” Zuko and Iroh then disappear in the fog.

Zhao turns around and sees four pegasi behind him, all of them wearing a white robe. He fires, but it misses as his mini flamethrower runs out of gas. He then throw it away and makes a stand. The pegasi then raise one of their front hoofs. Then, water from below surges up in 4 pillars that then engulf Zhao.

They then lift the ball of water up with Zhao in it into the air. Zhao struggles to escape, but after a few moments, he stops moving. The four pegasi then let him fall. He's dead. They then leave and go join the fight.

==================================================================

Shining, Cadence, Fluttershy, Rarity, Pinkie, Applejack, Rainbow, the CMC, and Chief Arnook find Twilight, Firebrand, and Agua and head for them. “Theres so many.” Fire’ said to Twilight.

“Keep fighting.” She replied.

“Fire,' Agua, Twilight...” Rainbow said to them as she heads toward them, “You have to do something. Sokka is dead!”

“What!?” Agua said in shock.

“He sacrificed him self to save the Moon Spirit.” Cadence told them.

Firebrand, Agua and Twilight head for the wall. “Do it for Sokka!” Rainbow yelled.

After dodging an attack from a Fire Nation trooper, Agua makes a pillar of ice pop out and sends the trooper flying. Fire’ then jumps over another and melts the ice he was standing on, with the Fire Nation solider falling through. Fire’ then shots some fire from his burning sword and sends a Fire Nation trooper who was going to attack Twilight flying while Agua pulls out some ice spikes and encircles some Fire Nation soldiers, trapping them. Fire’ sends some more flying while Agua moves some water around a trooper, trapping him also.

“Twilight, clear us a path!” Fire’ told her.

“I’m on it.” She then uses her magic to push back soldiers on both sides so they can get to the wall. Once there clear, she stops and the fighting continues. The three then climb the wall, passing a few soldiers before reaching the top. Once they do, they see the Fire Nation ships and how many there are.

Agua the heads to the edge and stops. She remembers what the waterbending scroll said, "Water teaches us acceptance. Let your emotions flow like water.” She then closes her eyes and remembers her mother. She was an aqua blue Pegasus with a sky blue mane and tail and amber eyes.

She and Agua are playing together by a small river. She then remembers her and her brother Sokka playing with a red kite. She then remembers her mother reading her a bedtime story, but she then coughs a little. The she is in a hospital with her family. She then dies in front of them. Back in the present, Agua sheds a tear and begins to waterbend. The water below begins to react, it begins to climb gradually.

Eventually it begins to climb so fast that is smashes a portable bridge that connected a hole and a Fire Nation ship. On the wall, Agua’s eyes, mane and hoofs begin to glow blue as she continues to waterbend. The battle below sees the giant wall of water, now taller than the ice wall, and stare dumb fondly. The Fire Nation soldiers then try to make a run for it, but they can’t get through the water. Agua then pushes the water over the ships at least half a mile long.

The water becomes so thick that the Fire Nation ships can no longer see the full moon. They begin to flee out of fear. Iroh and Zuko see the wall of water in a small life boat, several hundred feet from the closest ship. The Fire Nation ships then leave, and when they are a safe distance, Agua lowers the water and leaves her Avatar State. Agua has a hard time standing for a moment, when she opens her eyes, she sees Twilight and Firebrand looking at her in aw. She then sees that the Fire Nation is retreating. “I did it.”

“I did it.”

“Yes, you did, sister.” Firebrand said.

“Sister?” Twilight ask him.

“Yes, I mean, we do have the same spirit, it's just divided.”

“Hey, what happened to my hoof, mane and tail?” Agua asked when she notices that her hoofs are now ice white with wave patterns on them while her mane and tail have aqua blue streaks on them.

They then hear the Pegasus City soldiers cheer for both her and the Fire Nation retreating.

“Come on, sis. Lets get down there.”

“All right, bro.” Agua said as they make their way down.

Once they get down they see everypony in the city is their, in front are Celestia, Luna, Cadence, Shining, Arnook, Rainbow, Fluttershy, Rarity, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, and Apple Bloom. They then bow before Fire’ and Agua, even the captured Fire Nation soldiers bow. Twilight soon joins them and bows. Firebrand and Agua then bow back, the two accepting there destinies.