• Published 18th May 2012
  • 2,767 Views, 47 Comments

MineQuestria - sunnyday



Steve suddenly finds himself in the magical land of Equestria, and now has to save it.

  • ...
3
 47
 2,767

5: Getting Acquainted

Author's Note: If anyone would like to send me some nice fan art or something for me to use as the cover of this story it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

I had failed to attain any remote amount of sleep at all after the events of last night. After the note from Celestia showed up me and Twilight went around town making sure the streets were brightly lit. We also warned all of the townsfolk about the new dangers there were for the time being to make sure everyone stayed safe. Once we got back to the library, we were a little too wound up to sleep. So I told Twilight that to pass the time I'd answer any questions she may have for me.

"So," Twilight began, "Why did we have to get everywhere in Ponyville brightly lit?" I tilted my head, trying to think of a good way to answer that question.

"Well, i guess a good way to put it would be to tell you that the monsters from my world, can only show up in the darkness. That means that as long as we keep Ponyville lit, we won't ave any surprises. Of course spiders and creepers may still find their way in, but we'll be able to see them approaching at least." As I spoke I noticed Twilight was using some kind of magic with her horn to levitate a quill and paper. She began writing things down with it which I assumed was notes on what I was saying.

"Alright, speaking of monsters, what are all the different kinds that exist in your world and what are they like?" She seemed a little too excited about asking questions about dangerous monsters. I hoped that it was from being excited to learn about new things.

"There are a few different kinds of dangerous monsters lurking around, each one having their own weaknesses and strengths. I guess I'll start from the least deadly to the most. Another thing I should mention though is that most of them actually start to die in the sunlight, so really the only problems we'll have with them is at night." I took a deep breath for a moment, trying to remember everything I could about the... wildlife of Minecraftia. "Well, the first thing to watch out for are the Zombies. They're a bit dumb and all they can do is run in a serpentine path at you flailing their arms. Next we have Spiders which is one of the two monsters that don't die in the sun. During the day they are relatively harmless and won't mess with you, but come nightfall they'll climb walls and jump obstacles to reach you and strike you with one of it's eight giant legs. One of the most annoying things in the night is the Skeleton. These little buggers have discovered how to use basic weaponry and try to hunt you down with a bow and arrow..." I continued to explain the basics about all the monsters I knew about. Cave spiders, creepers, Endermen, and the like. All the while Twilight kept using her strange levitation abilities to write down things on what was by the end of the conversation a small stack of papers.

"So do you have any magic in your world?" Twilight asked, that inquisitive yet happy look never leaving her face.

"Well, I do have somewhat of a magic ability, you see, given the proper equipment, I can enchant things. All I would need is a special enchanting table and a little extra experience from defeating monsters."

"Really?" said Twilight. "You have to show me sometime how you do that. What would need to make this 'Enchanting Table' of yours?" I explained to her the recipe of what it takes to construct an enchanting table and she told me that she knew where to get most of the things we'd need, but we would have to wait until morning to get them.

The rest of the night was spent talking to each other about our different worlds and how certain things worked. Twilight found it rather interesting that the entire structure of my world was entirely made of cubes. Come morning we decided to head over to the train station to purchase tickets for us and Twilight's five friends I have yet to meet.

"Sorry, I can't let you take the train today." The pony at the train station gave us a rather sad look. "You see, the train has suddenly broke down and we don't know what's wrong with it. It's probably gonna take us about three days or so to fix it, sorry." He hung his head as he was probably disappointed at the train breaking down.

"THREE DAYS?!?" Twilight exclaimed. "We need to get to Canterlot, NOW!" The conductor pony pointed his hand to the road and said,

"You could always walk." Twilight frowned at the conductor, and we started to walk back to the library.

"It would take too long to walk there." Twilight said, "We're just going to have to wait until they can fix the train." Before we reached the library, Twilight looked like she just got an excellent idea and she turned to me. "Wait, can't you show me your enchanting table? What is it that you needed for it, again?" She was smiling again, ready to learn I suppose.

"Well, I'm going to need two diamonds, a blank book, and four chunks of obsidian." I made motions with my hand to make it look like I was raising fingers to number a list, and I only hoped that didn't make me look stupid. Twilight said that she definitely knew where she could get some diamonds and a blank book, but she was a little unsure as to where we could obtain some obsidian. She hoped that there might be something in the market that would either help us or actually be obsidian. She told me that we were going to go see her friend Rarity at the Carousel Boutique to get a hold of the diamonds. She told me that gems were quite frequent near Ponyville so Rarity was bound to have a couple extra diamonds for us to have.

We approached Carousel Boutique with a quickened pace. Well, at least Twilight did as I kind of lagged behind. She told me a bit about Rarity as we were walking, how she was the big fashonista in Ponyville (she also had to explain to me what that meant) and how she was a little picky about everything being perfect. Once we were in front of the boutique, Twilight lifted her hoof and knocked on the door a few times. A voice inside the building responded with "Come IiiiiIIInnnn!" Twilight opened the door and motioned for me to follow her inside.

"Rarity, I'd like you to meet my new friend Steve!" Twilight pointed to me with her hoof and a white unicorn which I assumed was rarity came into the room. When she saw where Twilight was pointing she immediately gasped with a look of horror on her face. She walked over to Twilight and whispered something which I could faintly hear, she was mentioning something about how awful my attire looked. I looked down at my clothes and thought about how a cyan shirt and purple pants didn't really look all that fancy compared to what I could wear. After a bit more whispering between the two, Rarity finally approached me.

"It's a- uhm... pleasure to meet you Steve." She kept glancing at me shirt as she talked to me.

"Is there a problem with what I'm wearing, Rarity?" I said bluntly.

"Oh! Err, no. It's just... Uhmm, You're shirt is just so... eye-catching!" I chuckled at how she was stumbling over her words. She really was how Twilight described her to me.

"It's alright, Rarity. I don't really like what I'm wearing, either. It's all I have, though." Rarity offered to make me some better ones, but I politely declined her... several times.

After a bit more declining Twilight was finally able to get Rarity to give us some diamonds on the one condition that I let her make me some new clothes. So I caved in and told her that I'd like to have some and I thanked her for using her time on me. We took the diamonds and began heading towards the Ponyville market to see if we could find any obsidian anywhere. On the way there I wondered what my new clothes would look like and how she was even going to be able to make them fit me.

We were going around the market from stall to stall seeing if anyone knew where to get or purchase some obsidian. Some of the ponies didn't even know what obsidian was let alone know where to get any. We were just about to give up when something strange happened. After I asked one of the last stall guys where to find some of the mineral I needed, a strange pink pony with a puffy mane approached me. "Hey!" She exclaimed, "You look like you could use these, I don't think I have any use for something as silly as this." She reached into her saddlebag and retrieved 4 perfectly cubed blocks of obsidian and placed them into my hands as I sat there, dumbfounded.

"Ah, well, thanks for this, I was actually looking for this exact amount. How did you know?" The pink pony laughed and told me that her "Pinkie Senses" told her that someone needed something, so she grabbed the closest thing that was next to her and headed out to the market. I'm not quite sure what that means, but I'm still pretty grateful to her. I thanked her and ran back to Twilight and showed her the obsidian.

"Wow," she said, "Who had that?" I told her that some strange pink, bubbly pony gave it to me, I also told her how she said something about Pinkie Senses, and that made Twilight mumble to herself, "Why on earth would Pinkie have thi- ugh, never mind."

We returned back to the library with almost all the necessary items for creating an enchanting table in tow. "Where are we going to get the blank book?" I asked, and then I realized how stupid I sounded. We're in a library, it's full of books and I'm sure some of them are going to be blank. "Oh, right." I said as Twilight levitated a blank book down to me. I sat down next to the crafting table I had made the previous night and placed all the items in their necessary order. Sure enough, they formed into a miniature enchantment table block. I picked it up and placed it next to the crafting table in what I hoped to be an orderly fashion with the rest of the room. Now, what to enchant?

I realized that I still had my iron pickaxe on me from the events that led me into this world, so I retrieved it from my bottomless pocket and placed it on the enchantment table. Twilight was in awe as a small light started enveloping the pickaxe, making it ripple like some kind of fancy glow stick. I was focusing all my leftover experience into the book that resided on the table. I opened it up, and read off the first words that appeared on the book, "KLAATU, TWIST, XYZZY!" I announced aloud and a light shot from the book and went into the pickaxe. I was really hoping that I ended up with a Fortune enchantment for it, so I could get a lot more diamonds for armor and such.

"So, what does it do?" Twilight asked.

"Let me see," I picked up my newly enchanted pickaxe that took me thirteen levels of experience to create. After examining it for a little bit, I hung my head low and sobbed a little.

"It's a silk touch pickaxe..."