• Published 25th May 2015
  • 316 Views, 0 Comments

The Chronicles of Summer Rain, Vol. 10 -- Ariel Dawn - shysage



The Portal has moved us to other places and other times, and we have become accustomed to the way the Portal put us where we were needed. This particular time I think the Portal actually rescued us. Well, maybe a little more...

  • ...
6
 0
 316

Chapter 25, Thankful for the Past

Ariel read the letter, written to Ari herself by Queen Annie... It was probably the last letter Cel and Lu's (Princess Celestia and Princess Luna's) mother wrote before she was taken by the Cougars and killed. And, judging by the shock quickly etched across Ari's face; Ari probably had not seen this letter before. When Ari finished reading, Cel, Lu and Ari, they just collapsed into tears together on the floor. They cried for a long time. And I think that, maybe... This was probably the first time that Equestria's Princesses were able to cry through their mother's untimely death, now over a millenia ago.

Still very young, Cel and Lu were absolutely traumatized when we rescued them, which was right after Queen Annie was killed. Seconds away from death themselves at the hand of six hungry Cougars, these two foals were in no shape to even try to grasp their own mother's death, and they may not have even known. At the time, Shysage and I, we didn't know who any of these poor ponies were, or what had just happened. But we had rescued two terrified foals. We just scooped Sue and Lee up, flew them back to Coptol, and loved them as our own for over two years. We didn't even learn who Sue and Lee actually were until...

But now, as their Foal-sitter burst back into their lives, and their mother's memory loomed large before them, Cel and Lu wept deeply for their mother. And our Ariel had lost her most amazing best friend. The three of them cried together a long time...

Shysage and I cried too. Perhaps closing a much smaller chapter ourselves, Annie was such a sweet mare... For six months, we had loved her, just like we loved our Ari. Annie's death hit home for us, and Shysage and I hugged tightly, and wept softly for a while as well. Her death seemed so senseless...

I have no recollection of who came and went during that evening. We had first come here to Princess Twilight's Castle near sundown on a cold winter day, which would be early evening. And we all cried for hours. But, probably in the middle of the night, we noticed Princess Twilight and all her girls, circled respectfully around Equestria's Princesses, weeping softly with them.

And I have no idea how, but we all ended up asleep, right where we were there on the wood floor in the Library.


Fluttershy wondered later if maybe Equestria's Princesses had some sort of internal alarm clock. They were up pretty early the next morning, from what Sis told me. I guess Shysage and I slept in. When I woke up, Ari, Cel and Lu were on their bellies facing us, talking together quietly, and maybe sniffling just a little still.

Most of Princess' girls were already gone (except Fluttershy, who was on her belly nearby). Sis said that Princess Celestia had thanked her extended family (Princess Twilight and her girls), after explaining a little more about Ariel's role in their lives, now so long ago.

Noticing our three girls (which made me want to cry), I quietly woke Shysage up, and we worked on getting coherent. It wasn't long before Cel noticed, and said quietly "I... Our Foal-sitter has not yet been to Canterlot, and I would ask that you three treat Equestria's Princesses with a visit in the Audience Hall when it is convenient."

Of course, we would make that happen.

Cel, Lu and Ari hugged tightly for a little while more. I think parting was especially tough for the three of them. Cel took a few minutes to hug Fluttershy, then Equestria's Princesses headed out the door, and were gone, no doubt heading back to Canterlot in an Air Coach. I could only hope the trip went well, it was winter after all.

I... I needed to hug Fluttershy some more. I think we hugged and wept softly for a while. Three years, I had really missed my sister. I think I already said that... Then she and Shyna headed off to the Cottage.

Ariel led us over to the two piles of papers, then broke down and just cried. Shysage and I hugged Ariel for a while as she cried some more. While she was crying, she said at one point "If that letter is any indication, I have no idea what else I might find..." After Ari calmed down, we agreed this task could wait. Well, all of the notes on that table -- this would significantly ease our Canterlot Recording for this volume.

...

Looking around the Library, it was just us. Shysage helped Ari and I get our coats on, then he climbed under his, and we were off, out of the Library, down the hall, and down the steps in front of the Castle. We headed to the Canterlot Recorder's house for breakfast, even though it looked like it was probably close to noon. The sun was high and warm. We needed coats, but since there was little breeze, we were comfortable. On the way, we passed Dawn and Camille, and hugged them a few minutes. Once home, Ari made us some more of that yummy oat stew. I think we were all hungry.

After breakfast or lunch, whichever it was, we headed to the meadow off to the east for a drink. Shysage asked about that little hill. I just mentioned softly that we were heading out to Sweet Apple Acres to talk to Applejack. Shysage didn't ask any questions, and we all walked calmly there. Just walking together like that, it felt very nice, and we weren't in a hurry at all.

We found Applejack in the barn moving hay bails around like they were paper. We spoke briefly, and Applejack sent us off into the west orchard. It didn't take long for us to find the clump of eleven or so dead apple trees near the center of the orchard. Shysage helped me get my coat off. It was a little cool, but with no wind and the warm early afternoon sun... I shifted back on my hind legs, and changed into a people while standing up. I stood there briefly and again admired the long flowing dress Rare had given me in the Equestria Girls world. It was beautiful. Then I spun up my Cutie Mark, and Shysage asked Ariel to stay with him, which she did. It didn't take long for me to completely uproot the dead trees, throw them into a big pile, then smash them down into a much smaller pile of splintered limbs and branches.

Remembering our trip to the future, I had Shysage run back and ask Applejack if she needed the firewood. Applejack about cried, and said yes. She told Shysage we could leave it right there, and she and Big Mac would run wagonloads to the house.

I just sighed, but I guessed we were done here. I was soon back to my Pony self, with my coat on, as we walked back to the barn together. Applejack thanked us for "killing two birds with one stone", she said, as we got ready to leave. Applejack paused in thought a minute, then said slowly "You know..." She paused briefly again, then said "Hey Summer, there are two dead trees along the road to town. They are near the fence, and look bad. They have been there for years, and I just keep forgetting, until I walk by... If you could pull them up, that would be a big help. We don't need that old wood though."

I assured Applejack we would take care of the two dead trees along the road, then we headed off. The two ugly trees were easy to find, and fairly close to the edge of the orchard. They were quickly yanked up, and in a pile away from the other trees, and broken into small pieces. That is what I needed.

I turned back into a pony. I asked Shysage to stay back, as I called Ariel over. I looked at the pile of wood, briefly, then I got this much out "Ari, I wondered--"

Ariel already knew what I was after, and didn't wait for me to finish. She raised her left front leg, pointed it at the big pile of dead tree pieces, then stomped her right hind hoof quietly but quickly to the ground. From high above, a ball of fire crashed down on the pile of wood, and it was burning hotly.

I glanced at Shysage, and he was smiling. I think he had already realized, both what I had in mind, as well as what the Phantom Alicorn's daughter might do.

I looked back at Ariel, and she was smiling too. "I am my mother's daughter" she said quietly. We hugged and cried together for a while. This was really amazing... That she could share some of my powers...

After calming down just a little, Ariel tried to explain.

"The first Cougar I met out west... I felt so helpless... I was under a tree... And I was angry to have to die like this... I sort of worked through the motions... I pointed at the slowly approaching and loudly growling Cougar, closed my eyes, and stomped my hoof, and yelled NO!

"...The growling stopped..."

"That's my girl..." What else could I say?

Shysage joined us, and the three of us cried together for a while more.

I quietly asked "What elements do you have?"

Ariel thought a minute, then replied "Fire and Water are all I know of."

"Can you put that fire out then?" I asked calmly.

That was quickly done.

Ariel is probably the same age I am; she already has her Cutie Mark. Against her white coat, a yellow streak of lightning maybe, comes down, then curls up into a shrinking circle, Shysage said its a spiral, whatever that is. I don't know if thats the right way to describe it, but that is Ariel's Cutie Mark. I was pretty sure I knew what it meant as soon as I saw it. I guess I could have asked her; she knew what it meant too.

This was Shysage and my family and this was a family discussion. I asked Ariel what she knew about me and my powers.

My daughter smiled right away. "Well, you are the Shila, and your magic is great, even though you are a Pegasus. And I vaguely remember you doing what I did or something similar when I was very young. Still, watching you throw apple trees around, that didn't surprise me."

I answered quietly "You will learn more about that, but the most important thing..." I stopped and sat down right there in the road, then closed my eyes, and said quietly "Because of my powers, Equestria owns me, and has moved Shysage and I around a lot. Still, nopony must know about that... I am the Phantom Alicorn, and I need to stay out of sight until I'm needed..."

Shysage had already sat on one side of me, as close to me as he could, and he wept quietly with me. Our Ariel would some day learn the price we have had to pay to be able to help Equestria.

Ariel sat on my other side, and wept softly with us for a while. Then she said quietly "I quickly arrived at the same conclusion. I am not a normal Pegasus, and the powers I possess are not mine. They are for helping others."

We just cried together for a while, there on the path.

Then Ariel smiled. "Mom, dad, my Cutie Mark is a mixing bowl. It means I am good at cooking. Did you know that?"

Laughing with tears in our eyes never felt so good...

Until Shysage mentioned quietly "Ariel, your mother is Shila the Beautiful, and you are just like her."

Ariel and I both blushed. We had to hug a while more, then the cold rushed us back to Ponyville, back to the Canterlot Recorder's house.

...

Honestly, oat stew was good, but... I think we all arrived at the same conclusion at the same time. We kept our coats on, and walked back out the door. We wandered through town, then headed to Fluttershy's Cottage.

Sis and Shyna were happy to see us, and us girls hugged for a bit while Shysage tended to the fire. Fluttershy said she had plenty for dinner; they would be delighted for us to join them. Shyna and Ari were soon talking together as Shyna helped Fluttershy. Well, Shyna and Ari both helped. I didn't think we needed a lot of food, I don't know.

Princess Twilight and Filia arrived soon after we did. We all bowed, then hugged our amazing princess.

Pinkie Pie, Rarity and Fiona came through the door next. Well, I finally figured out we were joining Princess Twilight and her girls for dinner at Fluttershy's. I guess that explained the two tables.

Applejack and Rainbow Dash came soon after. Princess insisted on a group hug, and somepony started us saying what we often say together, and Princess said her part through tears. We hugged together for a little while, then we all sat down for dinner.

I was kind of scared; it seemed like we had invited ourselves here. Shyna quickly called Ari to the table with Filia and Fiona, Princess Twilight and Rarity, and Pinkie Pie I think. Still, Shysage and I both stood back a little. We would sit where Fluttershy wanted us to sit, and that was up to her. Well, Sis wanted me right next to her, and Shysage was next to me of course. With Filia, Fiona, Shyna and Ari talking non-stop and laughing at the other table, Rainbow laughed and said this would be the quiet table. And Applejack thanked us again for a few year's supply of firewood.

Of course, dinner was good, and Ari and Shyna both helped serve everypony.

Afterwards, Princess Twilight asked for everyponies' attention and said a few words, I think about volume 5, which I guess could start any day... I can't remember what she said because I was weeping softly and trying to not cry louder.

I was remembering the day these same six ponies, my sister Fluttershy included, had welcomed me into this circle... So much had happened since that afternoon, and I have grown to so deeply treasure each of the amazing ponies in this room, as well as their Twins on the other side of the Portal. I don't know what the occasion was for this dinner, but I couldn't seem to stop crying, especially remembering helping the Equestria Girls rescue Princess Twilight and each of her girls from death that dark night, years ago now...

"Aww, Summer, what is it..." Princess Twilight asked softly.

I think I got out "Oh, Princess... Dark Night... Huge Tombstones..." and could say no more. I think a group hug was really the only thing we could do, as we all wept softly together, remembering that terrible night.

Shysage and I, we don't have much. Well, Equestria owns our home, and... We really don't have anything...

...but our amazing, true friends in this room; each a rich treasure...

...our precious daughter from the Past...

We have so much to be thankful for...