• Published 25th May 2015
  • 316 Views, 0 Comments

The Chronicles of Summer Rain, Vol. 10 -- Ariel Dawn - shysage



The Portal has moved us to other places and other times, and we have become accustomed to the way the Portal put us where we were needed. This particular time I think the Portal actually rescued us. Well, maybe a little more...

  • ...
6
 0
 316

Chapter 24, My Dearest Ariel


My Dearest Ariel,

Words cannot express how much your amazing friendship has meant to me. Since even before I was married, you have been nothing but the closest and most giving friend. Not knowing anything else about me, you quickly became such a dear part of my life. Our first six months together were like a dream come true for me. We flew together... We laughed together... You and your family enveloped me in a deep love I had never known.

I guess we will never know what happened to your amazing mom and dad, but I speak for the rest of my family, that taking you in, just like your family did for me, that was nothing less than a joy for everypony. And the months leading up to my wedding, you were my constant companion, and a ready ear, sometimes the only ear, where I could share my hopes and fears, my deepest longings and worries. And you shared your shoulder with me as I cried... My family are such simple folk, and I am sure me becoming, well, royalty, over night... I know it was hard for them. But it seems like you were always there for me, well, you were always there. We were inseparable (your word), and I guess I really needed that.

Until I received my Cutie Marks, I dispaired of ever finding a Stallion, somepony that wanted more from me than just having foals, and keeping house. And watching your mom and dad... Well, I secretly hoped, anyway. But marriage, well, it took me so by surprise, and to a king no less. I just don't understand that.

But one thing I do understand... You never talked much about it, but your family taught me to put others first. And when I was married to King Thars, I put that into practice. I think he really needed that. It a lot of ways he is an amazing Stallion, my Stallion. But he is just so run down and scattered so many directions by ponies who refuse to give the past up. I give him everything I can, and I think that helps him cope. I love you so much, but my love for him is so vastly different. He is my Stallion and I am his Mare. I think he and I would be a lot like your mom and dad, if only we had the time...

So far, I have given him, really given us both, two beautiful mares, the two appointed ones. Celest and Luna, our girls are absolutely amazing, and my only wish is that the King and I could spend more time with them. As you know, I try to be with the King as much as I can. Some have told me quietly that the leaders treat King Thars much more kindly, more respectfully, when I am at his side. That means a lot to me, and if that is the main way I can help him...

But believe me, I am so delighted that you are spending so much time with Celest and Luna in my place! They need you. In the midst of this dark maelstrom that is Coptol, they need the calm and quiet love and devotion that you showed me... While I am out and about with the King, trying to make sense of ponies that don't want to think beyond themselves... I help him any way I can, and it gives me great calm knowing that you are the Foal-sitter for our two jewels. I can relax a lot more, and try to help my Stallion. I would rather the four of us, the King and I, and of course Celest and Luna; I wish we could move out to your cave out west, and just enjoy each other. But, for now, we will do what we need to do here.

I don't know why, but I have been filled with a deepening sense of foreboding of late. Cougar attacks are on the rise, and it seems that just a few of them instill such fear in the townsponies, and the guards too. The guards run off as quickly as ordinary folk do, and that is just scary. We have lost so many ponies, citizens... I was right to fear coming back here, but I knew I had to. But living here is scary too, you know that. I wish your mom were here...

I don't know where this looming cloud will blow, but I want you to know that I will treasure you always. I know that King Thars and I are prime targets. And if anything should happen to me, make sure that you take good care of Celest and Luna for me. They deserve that at least. And they both love you dearly too.

I could have told you all this tomorrow, and probably will anyway. But you taught me to write, and I can't sleep, so I wanted to get this all down, how I feel. Thanks to your dad's clip thing, everypony in Coptol can learn to write now, not just Unicorns.

Well, my Stallion the King is away, checking on the forward camp, I can only hope he returns soon. I need him here, I think. Well, I just need him.

Oh Ariel, I am just so thankful for you. I hope our amazing friendship lasts forever.

Faithfully yours,

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Ark-Anna, The Mare
Princess of the Pegasus Clan
Queen of the Pony Tribes
Mare of King Thars