• Published 19th May 2015
  • 3,266 Views, 33 Comments

Auntie Moony - EbonyDanger



Celestia loses sight of her sister for a few minutes. But those are enough for baby Luna to get into the Everfree Forest. Now Celestia has to find her sister again, while Nightmare Moon can play babysitter for a certain cub.

  • ...
2
 33
 3,266

The Ice Cave

„Luna?“ Celestia sighted and stopped. She furrowed her brow. She was standing in her younger sister's bedroom. The blancet laid crunched on one side. The carpet was opened. The white mare had turned the room upside down. And not only the room. The castle also. Where is Luna hiding this time? Celestia knew her sister was good at playing hide and seek, but now she had searched for almost two hours and she could no longer find her sister.

„Alright“, Celestia shouted with her Royal Canterlot Voice, „This is no longer funny. Luna, you have won! Now come out!“ Her voice thundered through the castle, sending thousands of echos through the place, which came back to the mare's ears. „Come out!“ „Come out!“ „Come out!“ The words seemed to mock her ears.

Celestia stormed out of the room. Where are you? Her hearth started to race against her chest. This could not be true! She had been looking everywhere. Celestia had looked in every corner, in every cupboard, under every bed and sofa and behind every door. She even had looked into the boxes. And she had not found Luna!

The mare was racing to the top of the highest tower. Maybe Luna had not heard her. Celestia stopped. The Main Tower was so large one could see for miles. The forest and the city laid there, a green sea and in it an island, made out of houses. But Celestia ignored them. She took a deep breath and again her Canterlot Voice sounded over the landscape: „LUNA!“

She perked up her ears and begged for an answer. But her younger sister did not replied. No, no, no! Celestia hung her head. She had to admit it. She had lost Princess Luna somehow within the first few hours. And she had told Creator that she could take care of her sister with ease! Oh, Mother will kill me for this!

Celestia looked around in a hurry. Her dawncoloured mane floated around her. Her ears twitched. Where did Luna go? In the city maybe. She is probably in the city, sitting in Sugarcube Corner and eating a pile full of cookies. Celestia knew it was a desperate hope, but she had to start somewhere. The alicorn spread her wings and flew towards Ponyville.

***

Nightmare Moon was slowly walking through the Everfree Forest. Luna had jumped from her back and now was running around. This place is amazing! There were so many things to see. The trees were growing higher then anyone Luna had ever seen. Their dark bark felt smooth under her hooves. The leaves were whispering strange words, she could not really understand.

The gras was growing large and it danced under their steps like her own mane. Unlike Moonie's and Celestia's Luna's still looked like the one of every pony. Blue strands, that followed her movements. Her blue eyes looked around. Weird flowers were shading the gras like several patches of wet colour. Their smell filled the air.

Luna spotted animals, running around. Deers, rabbits and she even caught sight of a manticor, which climbed around the trees. Luna turned around. She laughed. „This place is amazing, Moonie!“, she called. The dark mare looked less impressive. She was slowly walking behind her and watched the young foal, exploring her surroundings.

„I suppose, it is, if you are seeing it the first time“, she said thoughtfully.
Luna climbed on a rock and looked around. The wind howled and made her mane and tail dance. The mare closed her eyes. „Moonie, show me something special“, she begged, „Please! Something, I have never seen before. I want to explore this world.“ She jumped down from the rock and rolled over the ground. „It is just so beautiful here.“

Nightmare Moon trotted by her side. She looked down at the filly and seemed rather thoughtfully. „Something special...“, she repeated. The mare lifted her head and seemed to scan the area. „Have you ever seen ice, cub?“, she asked all of a sudden. Luna stood up. Flowers stuck in her coat and she shook herself to get rid of them.

„Sure. During the winter“, Luna replied, „That is not something special.“
The dark mare smirked. „Then you have not seen the Ice Cave. The ice, that grows in it, is magical. It does not melt. So the cave is filled with ice even in summer.“
The filly jumped around. „I wanna see it! I wanna see it!“

Nightmare Moon softly pushed Luna into a direction. „Then follow me, cub.“ The mare slowly started to trot. Her speed was so fast, that the Moon Princess was forced to run after her. Curiousity seemed to follow Luna's hearthbeats. She felt so free. Although Tia had not played with her, she had given her the chance to explore a world, she had never seen before.

Nightmare Moon was following the river, which made its way through the Everfree Forest. Luna knew, if she was walking in the opposite direction, she would reach her castle again. Good to know. But now Luna did not really thought about getting home.

Nightmare Moon finally stopped by a few mountains, that towered in the depths of the Everfree Forest. The grey stone was lanced of silver. Luna sniffed. The air here smelled cool and clean. The dark mare carefully pushed some grass aside and the filly spotted a large hole behind that.

„You go first“, Nightmare said. Luna eyed the entrance of the cave with curiousity. It was so dark one could hardly see anything. Hmm, I need a light. It took her again some efforts to bright her horn up. The light, which shone upon her tip, was barley enough to enlighten the cave.

Slowly and carefully she etered the cave. Luna made a soft „Oh!“ as she looked around. Ice everywhere. Crystalled walls, frozen water falls. Snow seemed to cover the ground and as she whipped over it with her hoof, she could see the clean, hard surface. Crystal flowers blossomed in the darkness. Due to her magic the whole place shimmered in white, fair blue and violet light.

Nightmare Moon stepped by her side. Her darkblue mane danced around her neck and shoulder. „So?“, she asked calmly, „What do you think, cub?“
The Moon Princess first did not replied. She just stood there and looked around. Finalley the filly stammered: „It...it is beautiful, Moonie. We never saw anything like it.“

The little foal turned around. She had spotted a huge sims, covered in thick snow. Her eyes narrowed and she smiled playfully. „Can we make a race?“, Luna asked wickedly, „Who is the first one in the middle of the cave?“
Nightmare Moon snorted. „I do not play little foal games“, she said coldly.

Luna pouted with huge eyes. „You promised to watch after me, Moonie“, she responded, „And we wanna play with thou. As thy Princess we command thou to play with us!“ Nightmare tried to look away, but the blue eyes seemed to keep her in the spot.
Finalley the dark mare sighted. „Alright“, she responded slowly.

„Yay!“, Luna shouted. She got into a charging position. Nightmare Moon followed her example more or less. „Ready?“, asked the blue filly, „Set, go!“ And Luna started to ran. She heard Nightmare's hooves thundering behind her. Of course the dark mare was not really trying to win this race. She just let Luna have her fun.

Luna climbed on the sims, full of snow. It was so large, she could easily ran on it. „Look, Nightmare, look!“, called the young mare. Luna's hooves were leaving prints in the thick, white mass. The wind played with her mane. Flying? Her wings were still too small for it, but in this cave, there were times, where she believed she could.

Luna turned her head while running. She laughed at Nightmare Moon, who ran beside her. The dark mare seemed to increase her speed. Oh, no! I will still win. The blue filly turned her head and faced the sims in front of her. The center of the cave came closer and closer. Almost there! Luna chuckled with joy. Her eyes twinkled like two stars.

The filly made one reckless jump. She started to slide down the sims, a huge smile on her face. Nightmare Moon stopped and called a warning as if she was worried. „Yahooo!“, yelled Luna and rushed beside her. The snow, which had followed her movement, flew through the air and turned Nightmare into a Whitemare.

Luna turned around. She spotted her dark companion and roared with laughter. „Looks like we made a Snowmare, Moonie“, she chuckled and pressed a hoof on her snout. Nightmare Moon snorted and shook herself like a dog, which came out of water. The snow fell off her like dead leafs.

Luna rolled on the ground and kept laughing. This is so much fun! Nightmare Moon stepped to her and looked down on the filly. She pouted her lips. „Happy, cub?“, she asked.
Luna nodded and said: „Yes. This is one of the best days, we can even imagine.“

The little filly came to her feeth. She explained: „But now we are thirsty. Can we drink something?“
Luna stared at Nightmare Moon's hips. The dark mare blushed. She angrily covered her private parts with her long, darkblue tail. „I do not give milk!“, she snapped, „Cub, you will need to drink water.“

„But where?“, whined Luna. Nightmare Moon rolled her eyes. She walked to the icicled celling. The dark mare's horn flashed cyan and she touched one of the frozen traingles. It melted just enough for her to lick the water. Ooohh! Luna's eyes widened in amazement and she hopped by Nightmare Moon's side.

While the mare kept allaying her thirst, Luna carefully rose to her hindlegs. She stuck her tongue out and tried to catch the drops, that rained down on her face. It was not as easy as it looked by Moony. In fact Luna had to try it several times. The water had a cold, fresh taste.

Wait! I've got a better idea. Luna walked around the Ice Cave, until she found a very large icicle. Her reflection answered her glance. It looked so weird. The filly chuckled. Then Luna carefully licked over the frozen surface. Suddenly she realized something. She could no longer move her tongue. What? I am stuck. Help!

Luna made a protesting, whinnying sound. She angrily tried to pull herself free. Come on! Luna kept struggeling with the icicle. Her hooves were sliding over the snowy ground. Suddenley there was a loud crack.

Nightmare Moon turned her head around. Luna slowly walked passed her. She was lurching from one side to the other, because she was holding a large, white icicle in her mouth. The filly had closed her eyes proudly and mumbled: „Anf nau a pafrade for the Pimfess. Omph, too, thee.“ Nightmare Moon rolled her eyes and laughed quietly, while the small filly walked out of the cave.

***

The sun already stood deep. Stars blossomed on the sky and the moon shone upon Everfree like a dead eye. Nightmare Moon slowly was making her way through the woods. Many animals were running past them. A bagger in the bushes, a fox near the shore. They even spotted a stag, who stood there, his majestic head impressiv in the dull light. But Luna did not really seem to be that concentrated anymore.

Where is she now? Nightmare Moon turned her head around. The foal was walking very uneasy on her hooves. Her head was down and she kept yawning. „Come on, cub“, said Nightmare, „We soon have reached my sleeping place. Keep walking.“
Luna dropped herself on the ground. „No“, she said and shook her head. No seemed to be one of Luna's favourite words. She always said it after an order.

Nightmare put her ears back. „It is not far. Now get moving, cub!“ Her eyes glittered.
Luna whined: „I am tired, Moony. I want to sleep! I do not want to walk anymore. My hooves are hurting.“ She looked at the dark mare with pleading eyes. „Can't you carry me? Pleeeeaaaaasssseeeee!“

Oh my goodness! Watching after this cub is exhausting. The dark mare looked upwards and rolled her eyes. Ennerved Nightmare Moon walked to Luna. She then grabbed the filly by her neck with the sharp fangs and picked her up like a cougar did it with her kittens. Luna squealed in surprise as Nightmare Moon started to walk with the foal in her maw.

The place, where she slept, really was not far away. In fact, it was a large rock near the waterfall. Nightmare climbed on it. The moon shone on her and embraced them with its light. The dark mare dropped Luna on the smooth stone, before she walked a few steps aside and settled down.

Luna yawned and stretched herself, which made her look like some weird teddy bear. „Night, Moonie.“ The dark mare mumbled a respond, before she nestled her head on her front legs. She closed her eyes. Her breath came slowly and soft. Nightmare was about to drift off to sleep, when a shy voice could be heard: „Moonie, are you sleeping?“

„Not anymore.“ Her cyan eye opened and she starred at Luna, who stood there, tired and sad.
„Can you take me under your wing?“, asked the Moon Princess, „It is cold.“
Nightmare Moon grumbled: „If that is all, fine.“
Her dragon-like, ravenfeathered wing shot open. Luna's eyes widened in joy and she snuggled against the mare's flank. The wing softly went over her shoulder.

Nightmare Moon yawned and placed her head again on her legs. She closed her eyes. Can I sleep now? The dark mare hardly had finished her thought, when Luna's voice again could be heard: „Moonie?“

„What?“ Her head shot upwards and she looked down at the filly.
Luna flinched and mumbled: „Tia always sings me a lullaby, when I cannot sleep. Can you sing me one, please?“
Nightmare Moon growled: „I cannot sing!“
Luna hugged the snake-like neck. „Please!“, she begged, „Just this one night.“

Nightmare sighted. Fine! Her glance rested on the moon. The mare swallowed. When Nightmare Moon started to sing, it was as if she was catching the words from the darkness, which creeped around them:

„Hush now, now quiet now, it is time to lay your sleepy head.

The darkness comes, but do not fret.

I am here, my pet.

Do not wheep.

Just go back to sleep.

Lay your head down, child.

I won't let the nightmares come.

Count the fears like the sheep

to the rythm of your hearth's drum.

Head down, go to sleep

to the rythm of your hearth's drum.

Darkness rose and swallow everywhere's light

Enter your realm of dreams

Embrace my night.

But learn, the things aren't always what they seem.

Lay your head down, child

I won't let the nightmares come.

Count the fears like the sheep

to the rythm of your hearth's drum.

Head down, go to sleep

to the rythm of your hearth's drum.

Do not listen to the dark bets

just lay your sleepy head

Do not fret.

For I will protect you from the other one's

the evil one's

They don't like you, child.

Now go back to sleep!“

Nightmare Moon turned her head. Luna had curled herself up beside the dark force. Her eyes were closed shut and she was breathing softly and slowly. The dark mare smiled and yawned. Now finally I can go sleeping. Nightmare Moon placed her head once more on her front legs. Her eyes closed, while her darkblue tail wrapped itself around Luna, who snuggled against her wing in her sleep.

Author's Note:

Due to the fact that some had gotten the Ice Age refrence in the last chapter, I added another one in this one purpose. I give you one hint: It is a horse movie and we have to small references on it.
Luna's mumbled words are: "And now a parade for the Princess. One, two three."
Nightmare Moon's lullaby "Sleep, child" is partly based on "Pet" by A Percet Circle.