• Published 14th May 2015
  • 853 Views, 28 Comments

Twilight's Oddities - FleetingChance



After a few years of being a Princess Twilight starts to find that Spike is beginning to experience the effects of becoming an adult dragon.

  • ...
7
 28
 853

Chapter Five

Chapter Five –

The next morning when Twilight rose of bed with a messy mane and tail she wandered across the hall to check on Spike. Opening his door she nearly jumped out of her skin at what she saw. Spike was curled around Sweetie Belle. She had forgotten that she had spent the night at the castle, but she didn’t understand why she was in Spike’s room. She quietly trotted through Spike’s messy room and over to Sweetie Belle. Gently shaking her awake Sweetie Belle’s eyes opened and nearly shot out of her head when she saw Twilight standing over her.

“I swear it isn’t what it looks like,” she said softly.

“Follow me,” Twilight said trotting out of the room. Sweetie Belle soon followed after she had carefully gotten up without waking Spike. Closing the door behind her she caught up to Twilight. “Explain,” she said looking down on the young mare.

“I went to check on Spike last night because I couldn’t stop worrying about him. I got into his room and he was still asleep. So I stayed there and eventually fell asleep myself. That’s all that happened,” Sweetie Belle bowed her head and pushed her ears back.

Twilight sighed, she just couldn’t stay mad at the young mare. “I trust you, but please let me know the next time. Spike can be dangerous when he wants to be, I just don’t want anything happening to you.”

“I understand,” Sweetie Belle said slightly discouraged, but she shrugged it off. “How long do you think Spike will be asleep?” she asked.

“It depends,” Twilight said walking down the hallway with Sweetie Belle beside her. “If its anything like last time, he’ll probably just sleep for a week at the most,” she walked into the kitchen where Blackbeak still slept. Owlowiscious must be on her morning hunt, Twilight thought. “I think he’ll just be asleep for another day. Then when he wakes up he’ll come in here complaining about his empty stomach,” both of the mare chuckled at this.

“What would he like to eat?” Sweetie Belle asked softly.

“Probably anything with gemstones in it. We’ll have to go out and hunt for some since I’m not allowed in gemstone room after what happened last time. Actually neither your sister nor I am allowed to go in there,” she said correcting herself.

Sweetie Belle’s ears perked up. “Really why?”

“Well two different reasons,” Twilight said brewing some coffee. “You can probably guess why Rarity isn’t allowed in there. Want some?” she asked holding a coffee mug up.

“Sure. I probably know, but I want to hear the story,” Sweetie Belle said sitting down on one of the cushions in the kitchen.

Twilight smirked as she came to where she was sitting and plopped down on a cushion on the other side of the table. “Rarity kind of took some gemstones from Spike’s room without knowing. She did a Gem summoning spell and they just appeared. She had assumed that they had come from her shop and didn’t think twice about it. She only found out when Spike had confronted her about it when he saw the dress that had all her gems. Sure Rarity gave back all the gems – begrudgingly – but Spike had never trusted her again,” the coffee maker beeped signaling it was done. “I kind of think that was when Spike gave up on her,” she said getting up.

“I assume this was before she married?” Sweetie Belle said watching Twilight.

“Yes, it was actually before she moved part-time into Canterlot,” she said coming back with the Coffee mugs.

“Now why were you banned?” Sweetie Belle said stirring in some sweetener.

“I accidentally did a spell that made all the gemstones disappear. I thought the spell was to make simple things disappear like trash or rubbish from building and such. I had modified the spell to work on bigger messes so it’d be more useful, but I had gotten it wrong. Spike had been in his Gemstone room at the time had he came out furious with me. However he eventually forgave me when I had gone out with him to find more Gems. Now I’m allowed in there if I ask his permission first,” Twilight said drinking her coffee.

“He still doesn’t allow her into the room?” Sweetie asked taking a long sip of her coffee. She wasn’t much of a coffee mare, but it felt heavenly after what happened yesterday.

“Yeah,” Twilight said. “Then again she really doesn’t come around her much. Do you know when she will be leaving for Canterlot again?”

“Three more weeks,” Sweetie scowled into her coffee.


“She’ll be leaving just about the same time we will,” Twilight looked around the kitchen and made a mental note to clean up before she left.

“Can we skip Canterlot then?” Sweetie Belle said looking down into her coffee.

“I wasn’t planning to go there since I’ve been there so many times,” Twilight said getting up and turning on the sink to begin washing dishes. “I was thinking about going to places other Ponies normally wouldn’t go.”

“Like the Dragon lands?” Sweetie asked interestedly.

“I wanted to go there so Spike could get to know his own kind. Besides that I want to see how differ Dragon raised Dragons are from Pony raised Dragons,” Twilight turned around. The dishes continued to fly around behind her to wash themselves and go into their proper place. “I’ve always wondered how big the difference is. There is an obvious difference since beings of the same species in nature are raised with their own kind.”

There was a peaceful silence as the dishes washed themselves and were levitated into their own cabinets. Twilight leaned off the counter and stretched, the tips of her wings brushing the ceiling. Folding them back down she yawned and leaned back against the counter just as Sweetie spoke. “Do…do you ever wonder how Celestia got Spike’s egg?”

Twilight thought for a moment. The princess had actually never told her how she had gotten Spike’s egg. It was true she had thought about asking her on a number of occasions, but the topic just seemed unapproachable to her. “I don’t know actually. Celestia never told me and I have never asked.”

“Huh,” Sweetie said thinking. “How do you think she got his egg then?”

Twilight shrugged. “I have a number of theories, but the most logical one is that she just found Spike’s egg out in the wilds. Another is that she found his biological mother dead and his egg was the only one still intact. However my favorite one is that she had Spike’s egg for a long time, hundred years or so, and was just waiting for the right time to hatch it.”

“Is that even plausible?” Sweetie said. Twilight snickered lightly, she was beginning to see a magical scientist in her student. “How can an egg last that long without going rotten or the baby inside dying? It doesn’t make sense.”

Twilight came over and stood by the table. The tip of her horn lit up and a projection like image appeared on the wall showing various dragon information. “Think about this, adult dragons live for quite some time. The oldest one on record,” an image of a massive gray, white, and light blue dragon appeared on the wall. “Was born…roughly three thousand years ago right when the ruling Princesses were still growing up. During the reign of Discord he went into hibernation for all of Discord’s ruling years. Celestia and the historical society claim this is where he got his longevity from. He was only awakened when Princess Celestia herself woke him up.”

“What’s his name?” Sweetie Belle was enthralled. Ever since admitting to herself that she had a crush on Spike, every dragon related fascinated her.

Twilight grinned. “He actually has had many names through the centuries, but he’s referred to as Tezcacoatl. His name means king serpent. He’s called this because many cultures have seen him as the dragon god or the Lord of all dragons since he’s so old.”

“Is he?”

Twilight shrugged. “We don’t really know. Ponies don’t really know much about dragon culture, apart from the time when they were traded and treated like commodities.”

“I remember Spike going off about that,” Sweetie Belle said resting her chin on her hoof. “Did Princess Celestia put an end to that?”

“Yes in fact she had help from Tezcacoatl or Tezca for short. Normally he stays out of Equestria and stays within the borders of the Dragon Lands. However he saw what was happening and sought counsel with Princess Celestia. Together they stopped the trade of baby dragons and dragon eggs. All rescued Dragons and dragon eggs were sent with Tezca to go back to their homeland. However,” the projection on the wall changed to reveal a map of Equestria and beyond. There was three areas on the outskirts of Equestria that were marked in red. “There are lands in Equestria Princess Celestia put aside for the dragons that wanted to stay in Equestria, but didn’t want to be involved with Ponies. I went to this one,” the area closest to the volcanos lit up. “With Spike and the Mane Six a couple years ago.”

Sweetie Belle’s eyes widened. “Really?”

A loud yawn came from behind them. They both looked to see who it was. Spike stood there on three legs, his fourth one brushing his eyes. “What’s going on?”

“Just showing Sweetie Belle some Dragon history,” Twilight snickered when she saw his eyes widen.

“Really? Is this the one about Tezcacoatl?” he said eagerly coming to sit down beside Sweetie Belle. Her cheeks
flushed over.

“Yes, also,” she said emitting a ball of light to keep the projection going. “I want to go on a trip across Equestria and beyond.”

His eyes lit up. “Really? Is the rest of the Mane Six coming?”

“Nope, just you, me, and Sweetie Belle. Well if her schedule allows it,” Twilight said.

“I’ll make sure my schedule allows it,” Sweetie Belle said with a determined grin.

Twilight smiled. “Then it’s settled we will set off on our trip in a few weeks. I need to arrange some things and need to do some paper work before we leave, I don’t want to leave my territory in disarray while I am gone. Sweetie Belle you will handle your schedule and everything?” the young mare nodded. Then she looked to Spike. “Will you begin on the restoration of all the land you destroyed and apologize for everything?”

“Crap,” Spike said dragging his hand down his face. “I forgot about that. Do I need to get in touch with the princesses?”

“No they sent you a letter that is waiting in your study on your desk. It explains everything that you need to know,” Twilight said.

“Alright I will get that started,” Spike got up and ambled out of the room towards his study.

Sweetie Belle looked at the clock and jumped. “Oh I’m late! Blackbeak!” she called and the fluffy raven chick hopped down to rest on her head. “Can you teleport me to the Ponyville theater? I have a lesson there in four minutes.”

“Yes,” the young mare stepped out into the open and prepared herself to be teleported. Twilight pointed her long horn at her and in a flash of purple light the young mare was gone.


Later that day Twilight Sparkle was up in Cloudsdale with her Wonderbolt friend Volturi and Rainbow Dash. A young colt with red, yellow, and black mane and tail zoomed passed her. The colt had a wicked grin on his face that wasn’t too far off from Rainbow Dash’s. The black Pegasus zoomed after the little colt catching up to him in seconds. The colt complained as he was brought back down to the cloud. “You’ve got to be faster than that if you want to beat an ex-Wonderbolt and a Cloudsdale Air force pony,” Volturi said chuckling.

“He’s a little twerp,” Rainbow Dash said watching Volturi and Triple Stripe wrestle on the ground.

“Has he started Flight School yet?” Twilight said watching them as well.

“He will in a few days, we’ve been busy discussing about having another foal,” Rainbow Dash said with a sheepish grin towards Twilight.

The purple Alicorn mare rolled her eyes. “Who’ll be the stallion this time?”

“Volturi and she’s considering staying a stallion this time. Ya know so you don’t have to keep changing her every time we want another foal,” Rainbow Dash said.

“Do you really want to be grounded for almost eleven months while the foal is growing?” Twilight said. Volturi had been the one to carry Triple Stripe last time, but she hadn’t cared about not being able to fly. Rainbow Dash on the other hoof would hate being grounded, Twilight didn’t need to ask, she just knew.

“The foal will be worth it,” the rainbow maned mare said. “Plus Triple Stripe really wants to be a big brother.”

Twilight grinned. “Alright, I’ll do it tomorrow when I get all my paperwork done.”

“Alright egghead,” Rainbow Dash smirked at Twilight’s expression.

Author's Note:

I've always liked the concept of Twilight or Discord switching the gender of a girl/girl or boy/boy relationship so that they can have a foal.