• Published 11th Oct 2015
  • 453 Views, 3 Comments

The Shadow of Equestria - Masked Brony



Thrown into a world not of his own an orphan must adapt to his new surroundings as he searches for a way home, but can he keep is sanity? Or will he learn who he is and the power of friendship...

  • ...
4
 3
 453

Purple Lightning-[Edit]

Author's Note:

Edit: Okay I would like to thank Elric of Melinpony for bringing the many problems about this story to my attention and I would like to thank everyone from my Looking for Editors thread for their help and advice. Hopefully now my story and my future stories will be more enjoyable to read.

“GET UP YOU LITTLE SHITS!!!” the harlot, Miss McCain, hollered from the ground floor.

I let out a small “tsh” as myself and the rest of the boys in the orphanage stirred from our old wooden beds. The sounds of creaking wood mix with some critter scurrying about reach my ears. I blew air out of my nose to keep the smell of mold and rotten wood away. Unfortunately it didn’t help much. To be honest though the smell doesn’t really bother me as I have grown accustomed to it over the years.

“IF YOU DON’T COME DOWN HERE RIGHT NOW YOU WON’T EAT!!!” the bitch screamed again and everyone scrambled to get ready for the day. I would have preferred a loud annoying alarm clock then that bitch’s call assaulting my ears in the morning. I mean come on hearing that everyday does nothing for one’s self-esteem.

With a loud agonizing creak of wood I slowly got out of bed rubbing my short brown hair, which was currently in bed head mode, before walking towards the bathroom line. Rubbing the sleep out of my eyes I heard a disturbance happening at the front of the line.

“Come on Kyle, get at the back of the line,” I heard a boy say and I look to the front of the line to see what was going on. Past the numerous heads there was a boy who was younger than me probably close to my age of sixteen. He had short red hair, green eyes and his pale skin was dotted with freckles. So I had to guess that he was of Irish descent. I don’t know his name as he just came to the orphanage just a few days ago and it was apparent he didn't quite understand how things work around here.

What I do know is that he was about to get a rude awakening from Kyle who was about to go into the bathroom, his homies surrounding the doorway.

You see in this ‘lovely’ establishment Miss McCain is the queen, or queen bitch as a few of us around here call her. From there the chain of command was decided on who had the balls to take control and made sure that the bitch’s dictatorship was undisputed, and that was Kyle’s current position. We call it The Iron Hand.

And with Kyle’s pure All American look, blonde hair, blue eyes, and hardened football player body, made him just right for the job. With the way Kyle throws his weight around very few were brave enough, or stupid enough, to stand up to him. Yes, he was the stereotypical football jock, and the new kid found that out the hard way.

Kyle shoved the kid against the wall and pinned him there while he leered at him. “Since you're new here let me show you how things are run around here,” the bully said with menace.

I turned my head around and I looked to the other kids in line. All of them kept their heads down or where looking anywhere beside the confrontation. Doing their best to look small. I let out a quiet ‘tsh’ as everyone acted like freaking sheep. It’s fucking disgusting really, but that’s the reality of things. It’s best to keep you head down and prey that you do not become a target.

Yet that thought always leaves a bad taste in my mouth and a sick feeling in the bottom of my stomach. I knew that this was wrong but a part of me was afraid. If anyone stood up they were quickly smacked back down, quite literally. If you did something bad you get beat, you back talk to the bitch you get beaten, and heaven forbid you did something really bad, or if the bitch was in a really bad mood, then you get The Cane.

The sounds of the kid’s pained groans filled the concrete hall that was our prison. The ones who lived can't help but to feel like this place is a prison. The closed in walls that suppress us with oppression, the thick windows that teased us with a view of the outside world that we can't be a part of, to have a life that we can never get, and we have to scrap by with the bare necessities that we are 'gifted' so that we can live. While we live in poverty the ‘queen’ and everyone that she likes gets good beds, hot meals, and live a life of a noble.

The wailing of the boy’s screams were to serve as a lesson, not only to the new kid, but to all of us as well. This is what happens when you try to rise above, to even think about reaching for the sun, to dream of changing our stars.

I looked back up to see that two of Kyle’s goons hoisted the kid up so he could continue the ‘lesson’, and I clenched my teeth in anger.

That’s it.

No more. I refuse to continue on living like this! I refuse to be a mouse the scurries around in fear while the cat is on the prowl. Praying that by the mercy of the cat that I can go to bed without licking wounds from her wraith. I refuse to live in fear and this day forward I will fight. Master taught me these skills and goddamn it I'm going to use them.

I moved to step forward when a kid shot out his arm and grabbed mine to stop me. “Don’t do it James,” the kid said. He was one of the older kids but I didn’t bother to ever learn his name. I never try to get to close to anyone in this dog eat dog world. Here, friends will only bring you down, they are a weakness. But in all honesty, I can’t help but to interfere and help. Seeing another person suffer while I stand by and do nothing, it just...feels wrong. Yet I still help knowing that I will be punished for doing so.

So I shrugged off the hand and stepped out of the line. The other kids look at me with shock expressions and try to wave me off in fear that I will invoke The Iron Hand’s wraith on them all. When I was at the front of the line I spoke up. “That’s enough Kyle,” I said as I stared at the back of the bully’s head. “I think he gets the point now. We get the point.”

Kyle let out a chuckle as he paused in the kid’s beating before he turned his head and looked at me with a smug look. “Good morning James how are you?” he asked in mock joyfulness.

I rolled my eyes at the display, “Cut the shit,” I snapped, by this time Kyle had fully turned his body towards me and the other kids had cleared out of the way. “Let him go so we can shower and head to breakfast.”

Kyle rolled his neck around eliciting the sound of bones cracking, “You know, you should be careful now since you’re on a thin line with Miss McCain right now. Seeing as you don’t listen,” he said as he walked towards me placing a hand on my cheek. “I would hate to see you locked up in The Box for the night or two because of that mouth of yours.”

Everyone shuddered, including myself, at the mention of The Box. The Box is a small human sized box that Miss McCain keeps in the basement of the orphanage. She uses that on the more unruly and rebellious children to snap them back in line. You spend one night in there and usually that’s all it takes to break someone. I’ve been in it a couple of times myself and...well...let’s say it's not a fun experience for anyone involved and leave it at that okay.

The screams...you can sometimes here the cries for help.

“And while you're away something might happen to your precious jacket and MP3 player,” the bastard continued to taunt.

Oh hell no! Mother fucker did not do what I think he just did!

My face formed into a snarl as I smacked the hand away from me. “If you so much as touch my jacket I’ll snap your arm in half,” I threaten as I squared my shoulder read to fight, even if it means that I will have to spend the night in The Box.

The cold silence. That's what gets you. Not the darkness, no. Not for me. For me it’s the silence. There not even an echo when you cry out.

The jacket in question was in my room safe for now. You see when I was dropped off at the orphanage as baby my parents left with me two things. One was a leather jacket and the other item was a note from my parents. The note explained, not in very deep detail, that they couldn’t take me with them, so they had to leave me behind, that one day they will come for me, and that they will always love me you know the average cliche goodbye note.

I know it is odd to give a newborn a jacket when you leave them on the doorstep, but who knows maybe it belonged to one of my parents and they gave it to me as a way to recognize me or something. No matter how strange it was to receive it as a child I did take care of it when I got it. It is the only link I have to my parents after all. I don’t know why I even kept it all these years. I mean it wasn’t until I was ten years old before I could actually wear the damn thing. I guess deep down I really believe that one day they will come for me. I hope they do, I have so many questions to ask them.

I have, on the occasion, tickled the idea that my parents were some big shot people or even royalty. And the reason why they didn’t keep me was because they couldn’t allow me to become a pawn in someone’s game. So they are waiting until the day I was old enough to fend for myself. Which orphan hasn’t thought of that?

I scoffed at that idea now as it was nothing but wishful thinking from a diluted child who had his head up in the clouds. Now I know better. Now I know that this world isn't some fairy tail where the good guys win and everything ends with a happily ever after.

Anyway the MP3 player used to belong to the old enforcer before he was shipped out when he turned eighteen. I had ‘relieved’ him of it before he left, and no I don’t feel an ounce of guilt about taken it. He had received it as a gift from the bitch for doing such a good job of keeping us in line. So I took the device happily and I even hacked his account so I can get my own music.

I bet most people by now are wondering how things go on unnoticed.

To tell the truth I really don’t know. I mean we do get the occasional visit from the government who is supposed to check up on things, and it’s always the same guy who comes around. He acts nice enough but I know he can't be because when he comes he spends the whole time in the bitch’s office ‘getting familiar’ with her. I’m actually surprise that she gets any at all. I mean she looks like a mouse with a black wig. It just goes to show you how far someone is willing to go to quench their lusts.

Kyle just chuckled as he dropped his arm. “Well then you better behave then,” he said before he gathered his gang together, “Time to go you little shits. No baths today.” The football player disappeared into the bathroom to take his bath while the rest of kids groaned and cursed as they went back to the rooms to get their clothes, and take a deodorant bath if they could. I received most of the glares and curses as the kids went by, some of them even bumped their shoulders with me to show their anger.

I just cocked my head to the side and looked down at the boy that Kyle and his goons were using as their personal punching bag. He looks rather ordinary, not someone who would stand out in a crowd. I raised my eyebrow and let out a sigh at what he was wore.

Fucking hell he is one of those ‘Brony’ people, no wonder Kyle was so eager to punched this guy into a bloody pulp.The kid was wearing some kind pajama bottoms with a freaking purple unicorn and a T-shirt that said ‘FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC’ in bright rainbow color ink.

I just shook my head and helped the kid up.

“Thanks,” he said as he brushed himself off seemingly unaffected by the beat down he had just received. Red flags began dancing in my head. Kyle was by no means a pushover he had the strength to do some serious harm, and yet this kid gets up like it was nothing. “I’m glad that I can find a friend in a place like this,” he held out his hand. “The name Lance, please to me’cha.”

I ignored the hand and I simply place two fingers on Lance’s chest, and gently pushed him to the wall. “Look newbie I’m going to give you a piece of advice. Don’t make any friends around here. It’s best to watch over your own ass,” I told him with a glare, “If you’re not careful you might find a knife in your back.”

“But everybody needs-” I didn’t let him finished as I turned around and went to the rooms to get ready for the day

Friendship is magic my ass.


I watched as a pale yellow bus pulled to the front of the orphanage, the brakes squeaked loudly as it came to a stop. The hiss of hydraulics came as the door opened and everyone quickly piled inside the rust bucket we call a bus. For some reason we have to take this old clunker to school everyday.

As I entered the bus my nose twitched as the musk from the old seats assaulted my nose. I took a look around at the seats that were available to see if I could find a decent one, but all of them looked like they were one step away from collapsing. I let out a tired sigh before I decided to take an empty seat. When I had plopped myself in the seat I quickly scooted towards the window, taken care not to snag on the loose spring that had punctured the back rest, and just stared out it. Today I decided to dress myself in blue jeans, old gothic style boots that I had found in the dumpster which I made a few modifications so that I can use them for free running, a simple white t-shirt, and my trusty jacket.

My jacket was made out of black pleather while the hood was made out of heavy cotton. The hood was colored grey and was big enough to cover my entire head and then some. The front of the jacket was bland except for two pockets on the breast area. On the back of the jacket a pair of white wings was stitched on.

What's weird is that when I jump across the top of buildings during my parkour training, and if I close my eyes a feeling of flight sweeps through my very core. I feel like I’m flying through the sky like a bird. Free of the worries of my life as I soared and tempted fate.

When everyone was on the bus and seated Ms. McCain slammed the door shut before the banana bus shuddered forward.


I slammed the door shut of my rusty green locker with a groan before I headed towards the cafeteria. As I walked down the faded yellow tile floor I cracked my neck side-to-side to ease the tension there. The day has been dull so far, but so was yesterday, and the day before that, and the day before that one. Just one repetition after another. I wanted a change. Something different than normal.

Something….magical.

My muse is disturbed by the sound of a grunt of pain echoing down the light pink colored hall. I look up to see Kyle and his goons beating up the boy, Lance, again. They had drawn quite a crowd, while some just kept walking by not even sparing a glance.

I looked around to see that there wasn't a teacher in sight. I just let out an irritated sigh as I slug off my backpack so that it hit the ground with a thud. I pushed my way through the crowd while I zipped up my jacket and tucked away my music player. Once I broke through the circle of hormonal teenagers I stepped forward and grabbed Kyle’s outstretched fist just as he was about to punch Lance again.

The sudden feeling of somebody gasping his arm made Kyle turn around and glare at me.

“Play times over Kyle,” I said releasing Kyle’s hand, “Let the boy go.”

The boy growled, “I’m sick of your interference!” he said as he gave me a violent shove and I staggered back step. I looked down at my jacket in disgust before I looked up and glared at Kyle.

“You know what,” Kyle said as he reared his arm back, “I think it's about time to teach you a much needed lesson!” With that he swung at me.

With trained movements I caught the fist and clenched it hard. “I told you if you touch my jacket I’ll snap your arm in half,” I said with a smirk. Kyle’s face twisted and morphed into fear. I gave the wrist a sharp twist and the sounds of dislocated bones echoed the hallway. Kyle fell backwards clutching his out of place wrist, all the while trying his best to not cry out in pain. He goes and looks at his homies, “Don’t just stand there GET HIM!!!” he yelled.

I rolled my shoulders back and stuck my hands out ready to defend myself.

The first lackey swung at me with a wild haymaker and I slide outside of his body. I slammed my fist into his shoulder, ribs, kidney, and hip. When he fell down I put him out of the fight with a punch to his face. With a spin I diverted the second kid’s punch away with an open palm and gave my own punch into his stomach, and as he leaned down to grabbed his pained organ I grabbed his head and introduced it to my knee. The third and final boy managed to clock me real good in the cheek. Using the momentum of the punch I spun around throwing my fist at the boy who clumsily blocked it. Wanting to finish this fight quickly I kick him right between the legs and when he moved to cover his gonads I gave a seconded kick aimed at the side of his head knocking him out.

I looked at the carnage around me as I spat out some blood before I turned towards Kyle who was sniveling on the ground with tears coming out his eyes.

I raised an eyebrow and let out a snort, “How the mighty have fallen,” I said with amusement. I can’t believe how easy it was to put him down. Is this what we’ve afraid of all this time? Is this all it took to be free? Why has it taken me so long to do this?

‘These skills that I’m teaching you should never be used for personal gain or to hurt others. They should only be used to protect yourself and others for that is the duty of the strong and powerful.’

The words of my master echoed in my head and I begin to be ashamed of myself for acting so late. This whole time I’ve had the power but I refuse to use it.

“Alright everyone clear ou-WHAT IN GODS NAME HAPPENED HERE!!” our principal, who was a burly man with greying hair and wrinkled skin, yelled in shock at the boys who groaned on the ground around me before he looked at me then to Kyle who held his dislocated wrist.

I shrugged my shoulders and simply said, “Teaching, this is a school right?”

I don’t think he like my joke as his face burned in fury, “MY OFFICE NOW!”

I rolled my eyes, “Fine,” I said before Kyle began to whimper in pain as he got up. “Fucking pussy,” I said with an amused snort before the principal snatched my arm and dragged me away.


Well that could have gone better considering all I really got was an immediate expulsion and was told to wait in the chair while the police and paramedics came, but I didn’t want to spend time in jail so I left. The expulsion wasn't all that surprising really. I've have gotten into a lot of fights over the years, but this one broke the camel's back as the hospital had to get involved with aftermath of the confrontation.

Now I’m walking around the city during its lunch rush. The hustle and bustle of the people and sound of the cars and trucks honking. All of it was mostly blocked out as one of my ears was being blasted with music the other was free and allowed the sounds of the city to vibrate in it. It was then when my stomach reminded that I had not taken lunch yet. I casted my glanced around to see if I could score some food from any vendors that were around when I spotted a simple fruit stand. Since there was no other option nearby I went with two apples for my lunch. Also since I don't have any money on me I'll have to acquire my meal through...alternative ways.

Master is going to be so pissed at me.

I walked by the fruit stand and snatched two apples without anyone taken notice…

“Hey you little punk you better pay for those,” I looked behind me to see a police officer unamused looked begin drilled at me with his baton poised right at me.

…or not. Shit now master is really going to be pissed that I was noticed.

Without say a word a sped down the sidewalk ignoring the officer’s attempts to get me to stop. Lucky for me the officer was a part of the Doughnut Brigade so it would be easy as pie to escape.

Keeping my pace to a light jog I danced in between the crowded sidewalk. There were a few time where the cop nearly grabbed me but I was able to slip out of the way at the last second. After a while I thought it was time to end this game of cat and mouse. Saw an alleyway ahead of me I smirked from under my hood.

I turned into the alleyway and jumped on top of the dumpster. I ran across the wall before I jumped to the fire escape on the building across from me. I climbed over the rail and used the same rail I leapt over the fence that acted as a border.

Just as I landed on the ground the fat officer came around the corner huffin and puffin.

I laughed at the police officer’s shocked expression. “Better luck next time pig,” I chuckled as I pulled out an apple and took a bite out of it. “Might want to hit the gym first though.”


I took a shortcut through the city and I quickly reached my destination which was underneath a water bridge.

With a deep breath I calmly walked towards the shadows.

Once I was underneath the bridge I felt the temperature drop and the air become wet. The sounds of the water softly crashing against the shore tickled my ear just before the light dimmed as the clouds covered the sun. I scan the area for my master, but he was nowhere in sight. I immediately tensed up and became more aware of my surroundings. I knew at that moment that I was being tested.

I felt and heard the air behind me ripple. I ducked in response and narrowly missed a wooden stick that was aimed at my head. Once the first attack ended I spun around and put some distance between myself and my attacker. I got into a defensive stance with my legs spread apart and arms close with my hands open ready to deflect the evil stick.

God I hate that stick.

“Your mind is not focused,” an old wizened voice spoke. The voice bouncing off the water and the bridge making it impossible to pin-

-WHACK-

“MOTHER-!!!” I screamed out as my head exploded in pain, but I was cut off by two more strikes on my side and ass.

-WHACK- -WHACK-

I turned around to smack the stick away only but the other end swept my feet out from underneath me. I was about to land on my hands so that I could push away from the attacker, but before I could the stick slammed into my chest and pinned me to the ground.

With a groan I looked up to see a short Asian man in tattered gi clothes that were so caked in dirt and grime that it was impossible to tell what the colors were. When I say he is short I mean Yoda short, and like Yoda this bastard can really move when he wants too. His name is simple Master.

No that is not his real name but that’s all I ever called him I don’t know what his real name is. Everything about him is mysterious, just like a shinobi, I don’t know that much about what make him...him. But he has taken care of me ever since I stole my first piece of food when I was a small boy. He took me under his wing and taught me everything he knew about being a warrior of the shadow. Master gave me an outlet so that I wouldn’t do what normal children do after they leave the orphanage.

Turn to a life of crime.

The old man gave a chuckle, “You have grown strong since I found you all those years ago,” he said as his wrinkly skin creaked into a smile.

“But I still get my ass kick by you,” I said with a groan. Master coughed roughly as he glared at me and I winced as I forgot to watch what I said. “Sorry,” I mummered out.

Master face soften as he chuckled, “Of course you do, I’m the master. I wouldn’t be much of a master if my student was able to beat me so easily.” I groaned again as the stick was lifted up and off of me.

My master rested his gnarly hands on top of his most treasured item, the one item that I hate more than anything. A walking stick that was a little taller than him yet no wider than three fingers. The wooden brown surface was marred with nicks and scuffs that it had received over the time Master owned it. Intricate swirls were wrapped around the top all the way down to the middle.

“I have something for you sensei,” I responded as I sat in a kneeled position before I pulled out the second apple that I stole. I offered it to the old man who is the closest thing that I have to a father. “Please eat,” I begged. I know that he doesn’t get much to eat as he is too proud to beg or go through the trash.

Master let out a sigh before taking the fruit from my hand and began eating it. “You stole this,” he stated and I lowered my head in shame. “And you got into another fight in school today which led to your expulsion.”

I winced, “You should know by now that everything that you do I find out,” Master grumbled before his tone raised to a dull roar, “Now you used the skills that I have taught you to cause harm to others! That is not why I taught you!”

My head fell even deeper as I was continued to get scolded. I wasn’t even going to bother trying to defend myself just as he said Master knows everything I do. Although I don’t know how. No matter how hard I tried over the years I could not find a single trace of evidence on how the Master finds out about the things I do.

“You feel shame?” Master said when he finished his speech.

“Yes,” I said quietly still recoiling from the thrashing and preparing myself for more.

I know it wrong and dishonorable and I really hate stealing, but what can I do? I have to eat something during the times when the bitch back home refuses to feed us. It isn’t easy to steal food for a lot of people, but I can’t stand to see the younger ones go without food. I have to help them and the others since they themselves cannot. As Master has told me many time it is the duty of the strong to protect the weak. That’s why I get into fights, that's why I only steal food.

“Good, because if you didn’t I would banish you from my sight for these acts alone,” Master grated. “I know this world’s harshness forces people like you and I to make tough decisions and stray from the honorable path.” He placed a hand on my face and raised my head up.

“Despite this you always act with honor,” he smiled as his tone soften and placed his hand on my shoulder, “and I have never been more proud of you. I would even call you my son, but it is not my right to claim you as my own.” He slammed his walking stick into the ground before he turned around and went to the area where he kept his things. “Especially since you already have a father and mother that love you very much,” he said.

I tried to keep my anger down when I spoke next but it was hard, “If that was true then why did they leave me behind!” I spat out glaring at the ground

I looked up to see Master looking at me with sadness in his eyes, “There were reasons why they had to leave you behind.” He turned his attention back to the pile of garbage he calls home. I have no right to complain about where live At least I have a roof over my head even though it has it’s own set of challenges.

My eyes widen when I realized something he had just said, “You speak as if you knew them?” I studied the old man when it clicked for me. “You did know my parents didn’t you!” I asked in shock and I stood up as my anger swelled. “Why didn’t you tell me!?!”

For the first time I have known him Master finally showed his age as looked extremely tired. “Yes,” he said breathlessly, “They were good friends of mine, and when you were born they asked me to watch over you until the time came for you to go home.”

Watch over me?

Now that I think about it I did find it odd that Master caught me so quickly when I stole my first apple. It would also explain why he taught me how to fight, so that way he could easily keep an eye on me, and with his own ninja training he could easily follow me. Is that how he knew everything I do? Wait go home?

“Go home?”

Master didn’t answer my question instead he took a deep breath, “My time in this world is almost over,” he admitted which caused my insides to freeze at what the revelation meant.

“What...” I said as my eyes began to water and my lips tremble. A sniffle escaped my lips. “This isn’t funny old man,” I said praying that all of this is some sick joke.

Master chuckled as he rummaged through his meager belongs. “Don’t be sad child. I’ve lived a long, full life,” he said as he pulled out two cases and walked back towards me with them in his hands. “In my life I have experienced many things, made many mistakes, and created so many wondrous things. Including the warrior in front of me.”

“Your parents gave this to me to give to you when the time is right…I believe now the time has come.” Master said to me with wet eyes. He placed the cases in front of me and motioned me to open them. “And this one is my gift to you,” he said as he pointed at the case on the right.

With great care, as the boxes looked fragile as time had not been kind to them, I opened the one on the left and I let out a gasp at the contents inside. The interior looked like it had escaped the ravages of time as red silk lined the inside help protect the items inside. “There beautiful,” I whispered as I picked up the object inside.

In my hands was a beautiful crafted ninjato, a sword that was used by the ninjas, that was black as the night even down to the square guard and hilt. I pulled the blade out of its sheath and examined the edge. During my examination I noticed that not a single blemish was on the blade, showing that it has been extremely taken care of over the years.

I sheathed the sword and placed back into the case and took note that there was a tanto of the same designs of the ninjato. Next I pulled out the other object inside the box which was a kusarigama. The design was simple yet practical as it was only a sickle with a chain and weight attached at the end. Unlike the sword and dagger it was pristine white that seemed to glow with its own brilliance.

I placed the weapon back in its case and moved on to the next box. Inside was clothing as dark as the shadows that surround us. I pulled out a shirt and laid it against my chest to check the size. I was surprised to see that it looked like it would fit. “Go put it on,” Master said and I rushed to do just that.

With hurried movments I stipped out of my clothes, except for my boxers, before I slipped on my gifted clothes.

When I put the clothes on I gave myself a glance admiring the way I looked. If someone was to look at me now they would think that I was cosplaying as a shinobi from unification war.

I did some experimental movements and I found out that it is very effective in allowing full movement while not making any noise while I move around. The pants were loose but not baggy at the time and the shirt was the same way. The shirt turned out to be a long sleeve shirt that was a bit heavy but it didn’t bother me all that much. The belt that was made out of a rough leather material that had pouches sewed on to it. I put my hand inside them to see that they were full of tools that I was trained to use. I noticed that parts of the belt were a little rougher than the rest and for a moment I wonder why. After a moment or two thinking about it I figured out why.

The belt, and the arm guards I found out later, was made so that I could use it to light the wicks for the smoke bombs and flash bangs. I quickly put on the head mask, which covered everything except for my eyes, and then the shoes, arm and leg guards. I looked down at myself and I chuckled.

Then I looked at the pile of my clothes I saw that my jacket was laying on top. I examined myself and my jacket and smiled as a plan began to form in my mind. After a few adjustments I stepped forwards and into the light so Master could get a good look at me. He gave a chuckle as his eyes fell on my modifications. “Interesting,” Master said.

I put my running boots on and tucked the pants in them while I placed the shin guards over the boots. I had slipped my jacket over my top and adjusted the mask so that it that only covered my lower half of my face. My hood was pulled over my head to cover the rest of my head. “I thought I would give it my personal touch,” I said tugging on my jacket.

Master chuckled as he examined me from head to toe. “It fits you,” he said softly before he let out a painful grunt and sat down on the ground while clutching his heart.

“MASTER!” I rushed to his side and placed my hand on his shoulder to help stabilizing him. Master’s breath was heavy and labored, his eyes were glazed over and they were losing their spark, and I felt his body tremble and shudder as he tried to breath.

Master rested a hand on my cheek, and despite his heavy breath that seemed to take everything out of him, a smile grace his old face. “I’m so proud of you, Sayōnara Akihiko. Kage no watashi no musuko,” he said before he took one final shuddering breath and closed his eyes.

My eyes began to water and tears followed soon after, but they were quickly absorbed in the cotton mask as Master’s hand slide off my face.

His last words roughly translated to: Goodbye Akihiko, my son of shadows. In Japanese Akihiko means bright prince. He gave me that name when he started training me, but I got the feeling that there was a deeper meaning, or perhaps he wanted a son of his own and I kind of took that spot. It was obvious that Master doesn't have any family of his own, at least that I know of, so I guess I'm kinda of like the son he never got the chance to have.

I know that my name is somewhat of a contradiction but then again maybe it means something important him.

My head lowered as I began to mourn the loss of my surrogate father. Memories of my childhood began to play through my mind. From the first time I met him to a few memorable training exercises.

One in particular resurfaced in my mind...

I was twelve years old at the time and Master was teaching me how to throw kunai, or throwing knives, and I was missing the target constantly.

“It's all in the wrist,” Master commented as the sound of the kunai I threw missed the old pillow that was being used as a target and hit the wall. I grinded my teeth “it's all in the wrist,” I said in mock tone that only a child could do. Master didn’t take to kindly to that and wracked my head with that stick of his.

“Ouch that hurts damn it,” I cried out as I rubbed the sore spot while layered Master with a hateful glare.

Master bared his teeth as he growled out, “Watch your mouth boy.”

“SHUT UP OLD MAN! YOU AIN'T THE BOSS OF ME!” I yelled at him which prompt him to whack me again with the devil stick. With a cry of pain I began to rub the top of my head.

“Ninjas are supposed to be quiet as the night. So start acting like one and do as you told!” Master scolded me as he waved his ‘don’t fuck with me’ stick around in a threatening manner.

I glared daggers at the old man before I spat out, “I’m going to be such a badass ninja that I won’t need to be quiet!” I declared proudly with a thump to my chest.

“You?” Master said as he pointed at me before he sputtered out a laugh, “HA! Next you're going to tell me you're going to be Hokage and nothing but eat ramen while shouting BELIEVE IT!”

I let out a growl through my clenched teeth“YOU'RE READ TO MUCH OF YOUR TRASH DUMP COMICS YOU OLD FUCK!” I shouted at him

“IT’S CALLED MANGA YOU SNOT NOSE PUNK AND WATCH YOU TONGUE!!” he roared back as he swung his stick towards the side of me head. I brought my arms up and block the wooden weapon.

“HA! MAKE ME!!” I challenged as my other hand clasped the Stick of Satan. Master growled as he picked up with the doom stick and flung it to the side. My less than sturdy grip was easily broken and I tumbled on the ground right into the murky water. I stood up from the dirty water which dripped off of my hair but clung to my clothes as a putrid smell began to make itself known. “THAT'S IT I'M KICKING YOUR ASS OLD TIMER!!!!” I yelled as I charged at him.

Five seconds later was on the ground with a fresh batch of bruises on my body. My lungs were working overtime to pull in much needed air. “Watch...old man...I’ll supase you...one day and...then...you’ll have to...listen and respect me,” I said in between breaths as I glared at Master with determination.

Master chuckled as his lips split into a grin, “We’ll see about that.”

I let out a bitter chuckle as I came out of memory lane. “I guess we’ll never see if I’ll ever supase you.”

Suddenly the silence was broken by the sound of stone hitting flesh. In a snap I looked up to the body of Master’s lifeless body crumpled to the ground and a blood soaked stone landed in front of me. I was in such a deep state of shock that I didn’t even notice that I was grabbed by my arms and hoisted in the air. Reality came back to me when the person who threw the stone punched me in the stomach.

Kyle sneered at me as he grabbed my face and yanked down my mask. “You bastard,” he said as he punched my face. “You embarrassed me! YOU MADE ME LOOK WEAK!” the deranged teen roared and punched me again this time in the ribs. I held in the cry of pain as Kyle assaulted me. I will not give this boy the satisfaction especially since he dare strike Master like he did.

“That’s because you are,” I said through gritted teeth as my ribs and lungs throb in pain, “Deep down you know that’s all you ever be. That’s why you pick on others and beat them down. It’s the only you make yourself believe that you strong.” I chuckled as blood began to pool in my mouth from the cut of the inner part of my cheek, “Pathetic really. I can’t believe that we are scared of you.” I gathered the blood in my mouth and spat in Kyle’s face.

Kyle snarled as he began to punched me over and over.

“Kyle I think the old man is dead,” one of the lackeys said snapped the teen out of his rage and caused him to turn to look at the corpse.

He then looked at me with an evil smirk before he ordered his boys, “Hold him.” He then walked over to the body as a chill shot through my body.

“Leave him alone!” I cried out as I fought against the boys holding me but their grip was too strong.

One of the boys spoke up, “Kyle are you serious?” he asked incredulously, “Come on man that not cool.”

“SHUT UP!!” Kyle roared pointed at me, “HE MADE ME LOOK BAD SO I HAVE TO SHOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FUCK WITH ME!!!”

Anger began welling in me when Kyle picked Master’s head and punched it. Something in me tensed like a rubber band that is being stretch past it pointed. I watched as the bully continued to desecrate the body.

One of the boys moved to stop him but he just punched him away and moved a hand towards the fly of his pants.

I snapped. The dam that held my emotions in place broke and I let out a roar of pain, sorrow, anger, and vengeance. I turned my head and slammed it into one of the boys and cause him to release me. With my free hand I socked the other boy in face so hard that felt bone in his face break. I then ran straight for Kyle who turned to me and tried to punch me again.

-CRACK- -CRACK- -CRACK-

The sound of breaking bone echoed throughout the under pass. When Kyle tried to hit me I had grabbed his fist and with a twist I broke his already weakened wrist. I then spun around and slammed my elbow into his elbow snapping that as well, and then I continue to spin around until I was behind him before I kick his shoulder breaking the bones that held his entire arm in place.

Kyle hit the ground crying and blabbing incoherently. I went over to the weapons case and pulled out the ninjato and unsheathed it as I walked towards Kyle, who saw me and tried to crawl away like the worm he is, but I put a stop to that when I overtook him and kicked him in the face to flip him over.

I placed the sword on the bully’s neck and pressed. “Please don’t kill me,” he begged as tears and snot mixed on his face.

I paused as a feeling of incredulous took place, “Why should I,” I growled, “You were going to kill me. You desecrated the body of a great man just to make you feel better for when I knocked you down a peg.” I raised my sword so I could decapitate the bastard. “You don’t deserve to live.”

Just before I brought the weapon down I saw the face of Master. He looked so peaceful laying there ignorant of the world around him. My rage began to simmer. How would he react if he saw me now?

He smacked the shit out of me with that devil stick of his and scold me for letting my emotions control my actions. I looked back down at Kyle and his mangled arm. He had his eyes closed as he waited for death’s embrace. No, I won’t kill him, no matter how much he deserves it.

I won’t sink to his level.

Besides he’s been punished enough, with his arm the way it is. Well he’ll never have full function ever again. So his dreams of being a star football player in the NFL die here, and that is punishment enough.

I took a deep breath and let it out before I flicked my sword before I sheathed it. “You’re not going to kill me?” Kyle asked as he opened his eyes to look at me, confusion dancing across his face. I snorted as I placed the weapon on my back.

“I won’t sully the blade with your disgusting blood,” I growled as I slipped the tanto inside my jacket. “Now get out of my sight before I change my mind,” I left the threat hanging as I slipped the kusarigama around my waist.

It didn’t take long for the group to leave, dragging the remains of their group.

When they were out of sight I couldn’t hold back the monsoon that had built up inside of me any more. I release a howl that was filled pain, sorrow, and grief. The man I thought as a father was gone from my life I was alone and lost in this cold world.

What should I do now? What can I do? I have no one else now.

I slumped to the ground as the tears flowed from my eyes like a waterfall, the sobs racked my body, the grief clouded my mind. I don’t know how long I was sat there and cried, seconds, minutes, hours. But eventually my eyes traveled back the body of Master.

Well I know what I should do now.


I spent the next ten minutes going through the trash that were piled everywhere and pulled out materials that I needed. When I finished with my creation, which was a makeshift raft, I placed the body of my teacher. I had lined the raft with some flowers that I had found growing around Master’s living area. With the corpse in place I crossed Master’s arms so that his hands were on clasped on his chest holding a white petal flower that I found near the river. I then placed the final piece to the funeral pyre right on top, and that was his stick that he loved so much.

Before I placed the stick on the body I studied it for a while with my fingers rubbing the the many grooves that were dug into the surface. I remember the stories he told me when I was younger about how this stick was magical in a way that it allowed him to travel to another world. He wouldn't give me details, saying that I wasn’t ready to know them yet, but he would always drop subtle hints just to keep my interest. When I was a kid I found these kind of stories cool and awe inspiring, but as I got older I merely pass it off as some old man ramble and forgot everything.

With a bitter chuckle I placed the stick on top of Master’s body so that it was aligned vertically, but it rolled off and clattered to the side. I let out an irritated huff as I picked up the stick and placed it slanted to the left only for it to fall again. I growled as my anger grew as I tried to get the stick to stay with Master’s body. No matter how many times I tired or no matter what position. The Damn. Thing. Wouldn’t. STAY!

I yelled out as I flung the piece of shit away. “JUST ONCE WOULD YOU FUCKING HELP!!” I hollered at the piece of wood as it the echos from its landing ranged throughout the darkness. I choked on the air as I looked my father figure, who was still smiling. I looked at the stick from hell then back at Master before I went over to pick it up and placed next to me when I returned to the body.

I kneeled next to Master and I tried to think a few last words to say.

With a deep breath I let the words flow from my mouth, “I’m not much for words, and I know that I never shown it much less said it, but…I love you. I love you like a child does a father and I’m grateful that you took me in to train me and shape me into the person that I am today. There so much I want to know like how you knew my parents and where they are…but,” I heard the sounds of sirens coming this way. I guess they are coming for me. “...time has conspired against us so I wish to tell you that I won’t dishonor you in anyway. I will use the tools you gave me to bring honor to your name and to find my parents.” the sounds of the police was getting louder.

I was running out of time.

I stood up and placed the hell stick so that it leaned against me. I decided that despite my hatred towards the object I would keep as a momentum of my master. I pulled out a zippo lighter and lit a crude torch. I gave Master one last solemn look before I placed the torch on the pyre setting it ablaze. I then pushed it into the water before I clasped my hands together and remain silent for a moment. I opened my eyes and looked as the flames engulfed the raft. “Sayōnara Master. My you rest in peace in a place where the sun always shines, the food is plentiful, and the company never leaves.”

Shadow

“That was beautiful,” a female said who was dressed up in a brown cloak that hid her features. What one could tell was the individual was tall, but it seemed odd that it looked like she had a body structure of a pony that could reach to a human shoulder’s.

There was a small chuckle beside her that turned out to be Master, but he looked different. He was cleaner and had a soft glow on him. “I always wanted to go out in a blaze,” Master said with another chuckle.

“Well you got you wish,” a third voice said as he stepped in front of the two was watching Master’s funeral.

It turned out to be Lance from the orphanage.

Master turned to Lance, “Thank you for allowing me to stay in the land of the living for this long,” he said giving the boy a slight bow.

Lance just gave a dismissive wave. “Don’t worry about it,” he said turning toward the scene in front of them. “Besides with everything you’ve done I think postponing Death was the least I could do.”

They watched as James tucked the Master’s stick on his back before he turned his head just as the police came to the under pass, but they found nothing except the burning pyre. One of the officers quickly called the paramedics while his fellow officer tried to bring in the rafter and put out the fire.

The three individuals turned away from scene and faced each other.

“Do you think he is ready?” the female asked and to which Master gave a slight nod.

“Yes, and no,” he said before looking at the other. “There are still things he must learn and experience before he take up his destiny.”

Lance clasped his hands together and gave them a rub before he spoke, “And he will, I have faith in him,” he gave the other two a sly smirk that showed his pointy teeth, “He won’t be alone either.”

Master raised an eyebrow at Lance, “He won’t make friends easy though,” he pointed out as he hid his hands inside his sleeves and gave a slow nod, “That is his greatest weakness.”

Lance gave a chuckle, “Oh I know, but the ponies there are always eager to make friends,” he gave another chuckle, “especially when they are the bearers of the Elements of Harmony.”

Master eyes went wide in surprise as his jaw dropped, “What’s this?!” he snapped his neck towards the female who squirmed in place.

Lance clasped Master on the shoulder. “Don’t worry my friend, we’ll explain everything but first,”a beaming smile grace his lips, “there are a few people who have been dying to see you,” he said as a bright light shone right in their faces and in the lightness three silhouettes stood there.

Tears began to fall from Master eyes as he recognized the shadows. A sad smile graced his lips as he began to walk to them, “Hello my friends…” he choked out.

“I’m finally here.”

Shadow

The rumble of thunder caught my attention and caused me to look up. I cocked my eyebrow as purple lights danced a crossed the clouds. I’m not a weather person but I know that lightning is not supposed to be purple. I looked down at the street below me as cars and people scurried around like ants. I was currently standing on top of one of the many skyscrapers that litter the city. I took a deep breath and sucked in the wet air allowing it reinvigorate me.

I guess I should find a place to stay as before the storm hits. I’m sure that I’m no longer welcomed at the orphanage, which is probably for the best as I’m sure the police would coming around to look for me. Or they might come by to check the basement where The Box was at so they can see what kind of care we were given. All of this would be thanks to an anonymous tip the department received from a pay phone two blocks from where I was at.

Either way my time there is over, and hopefully the children there would place somewhere better. Homes with a loving family or at least with someone that would show them the kindness that has been denied us. Hopefully I can find that as well when I find my parents. If not...then I guess I’ll figure something out. There must be something I can do with the skill Master has taught me.

Master...

The sky rumbled again and drops of rain began to fall.

“Time to go then,” I muttered as I stood up and made my way to the fire escape that I had used to get up here. Just then the hair at the back of my neck stood up and I jumped to the side just before loud crash and a flash of heat landed right where I was at.

With ringing ears I got up and looked at the space I was just at. The area was burning and purple sparks occasionally zapped the black spot, and the air smelled of burned ozone.

“That’s weird I thought the building had lightning rods,” I said I looked up at the sky just in time to dodged another a bolt. “WHAT THE HELL!?!” I yelled as scrambled to my feet looking incredulously at the ground then back to the sky. “That ain’t normal.”

It was then I noticed that the hell stick on my back was softly pulsing with golden aura, and then I put two to two. “This fucking stick is still finding ways to harass me!” I said I heard another rumble from the sky but I wasn’t going stand on this roof. So I took off running jumping over the A/C units as the lightning strikes continued to try and hit me.

Did I piss of Zeus or something?

My mind was such a mess that I didn’t realize that I was running out of roof until I had jumped.

‘Shit,’ I thought as I saw my slip up but I saw a building close by that I could swing to if I did this right. I went to pull off my kusarigama but just as I was I saw a bolt of purple lightning heading towards me. The world slowed down as my death came at me.

I closed my eyes and accepted my fate, “I’ll see you soon master,” I said just before my back began to burn and I cried out in pain as my world became white.