• Published 5th May 2015
  • 3,833 Views, 50 Comments

Hidden Spark - EbonyDanger



A dark curse lies upon Twilight. An old foe has chosen the Summer Sun Celebration to return. Using Twilight's body as her host. Can her friends save her, before it is too late?

  • ...
17
 50
 3,833

A feast for a Princess

„Are you sure this is going to work?“ Scootaloo eyed herself askance. She was wearing a fair violet dress with two golden rings around her hooves. The mare's scrubby mane was made into a ponytail with a red ribbon. Sweetie Belle had did her best to make dresses, that could fit during the Summer Sun Celebration. Of course they were not as good as Rarity's but Spike had to admit they were really nice.

„Of course it will work“, replied Applebloom with a wink, „Just look at us. We look noble.“ Her dress was red like corn poppy with a simple yellow tape around it, which formed a bow over her hips. Sweetie Belle was wearing a fairblue dress, which shimmered and looked a bit transperent. Spike had gotten somekind of uniform. I look like a chimney sweep. Seriously. He was wearing a black suit together with a darkpurple tie. On his head was a huge top hat with a pale, muddy purple ribbon around it.

The Cutie Mark Cursaders and the purple dragon were standing in the royal guarden behind a large bush. It was perfectly trimmed, but still it gave them enough cover. The night breathed over the place like a sleeping animal. Stars twinkled cheerfully and the moon swam in the black waves. Every now and then a cloud passed by and hid the silver coin as if it knew, what crime was about to be commited in the next morning.

„Okay“, Spike whispered, „Remember the plan. We try to mingle with the crowd to get inside the palace. When we are there, we somehow need to get into the Canterlot dungeons without raising suspicion.“
Sweetie Belle said: „Maybe someone should stay at the festival and keep an eye on Hidden Spark.“
But Applebloom shook her head. „I would not risk that“, she said, „What if Hidden Spark somehow recognizes us? I know, she may have never seen us, but Twilight did more then enough. What if Hidden Spark can read her memories somehow?“

That is a good point. Spike crunched his theet and rubbed his chin thoughtfully. He took a deep breath and as he let it out, declared: „I say, we just go to the feast and worry about everything later. Just act incognito.“
„In-what?“, asked Scootaloo and lifted a brow.
Spike hit his forehead with his claws. „Inconspicuous. Just act so nopony will be curious about what we are doing here.“

The four slowly climbed out of the bushes. In front of Canterlot Castle stood many carriages. They all were exaggerated with gold, jewelery and ember wood. The noble families obviously had taken the invitation very seriously. Spike spotted several familiar faces: Filthy Rich and his daughter Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon and her parents, Fleur dis Lee with Fancy Pants, Spitfire and two other Wonderbolts.

„Wow“, whispered Scootaloo. The four slowly made their way towards the entrance. Many other unicorns, pegasi and earth ponies walked passed them, without even noticing. Luckily Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon had already entered the castle. Spike knew, it was better if he and the Cutie Mark Cursaders avoided this pair.

Spike spotted Fancy Pants and Fleur dis Lee, who were about to enter the hall. Spike snatched Sweetie Belle's wrist and started to pull as a sign for the Cutie Mark Cursaders to hurry. They sprinted through the line, until they almost bumped into the two unicorns. „Huh?“ The white unicorn with his perfectly cleaned, cobaltblue mane turned his head.

Spike was about to say something, when several guards moved forwards, ready to remove this intruders. It was Sweetie Belle, who saved the dragon's and her friend's necks. „Good evening, Mr Fancy Pants. I am Sweetie Belle, Rarity's sister, and we would like to come to the feast as well.“ She peeked around, before she whispered urgently: „It's important that we are there.“

Fancy Pants, who first seemed to be rather surprised, started to smile as the white unicorn mentioned his favourite party guest. „Gentlecolts“, he adressed the guards, „Lower your weapons. Those four belong to me.“ The guards looked at one another. Spike realized, that they like Shining Armor had those reddish glow above their eyes. And not only them. Many ponies, who lived in Canterlot, had those weird, blanc eyes. All, except for Fancy Pants and Fleur dis Lee.

Slowly the guards lowered their weapons and took their position besides the entrance again. Fancy Pants lifted his head proudfully and flounced into the corridor. The Cutie Mark Cursaders and Spike followed. Fleur dis Lee was walking beside her husband and greeted every unicorn, she knew with a satisfied nod.

While she kept the visitors distracted, Fancy Pants turned his head to look down on Sweetie Belle. He smiled shortly and said: „You have Rarity's white coat and her manetype. I already felt that you were familiar to me, although I only knew your sister. I have to say, the dresses and the suit this dragon wears look rather nice. So simple and yet so elegant.“
Sweetie Belle smiled. „Thank you, Sire“, she said with bright eyes.

„Please call me Fancy“, the rich gentlecolt said. His expression became slightly worried. „Now tell me“, he whispered, „what is so urgent, that you had to attend this festival? Besides, where is Miss Rarity? I had guessed, she would be one of the first to arrive here.“ Fancy Pants looked around as if he hoped, he could spot the unicorn with the purple mane.

Sweetie Belle explained: „That is the reason, why we are here. You must know, you and the other guests are in great danger. Something had possessed Twilight and she had captured Rarity and the others. We are here to rescue her, but....“

She was cut short, when two guards suddenley started to sing: „Oh, what is that sound? Everypony turn around. Her Majesty is here!“ Spike's jaw dropped and he heard the Cutie Mark Cursaders gasp at once. The mare, who stood on the top of the stairs, hardly looked like Twilight at all. She was wearing a long, darkred dress with black ribbons, firerubies and phonix feathers. Her long mane was tied up and as she took a step forward and posed at the top of the stairs, red hooves could be seen. Is this paint? Spike narrowed his eyes. Hidden Spark opened her wings. A dark, seductive power laid around the mare and her serpent eyes seemed to be completley normal to everyone.

The guards bowed, pointed at Hidden Spark and sang:

„All the praises we sing to Princess Twilight.

Sir, you gawk, well join the folk.

Take in her glory.

Now as you are trotting along, too much praising isn't wrong.

Peasants, enjoy this moment before she is gone!“

Spike pressed his claws on his mouth. He was not sure, if he should brust out laughing for the guards acted hilerious like puppets or crying for Hidden Spark had them all under her controll. I didn't imagined this. I really didn't. The vainity of the posessed mare was so strong one could actually taste it. If one was not hypnoticed.

„All the praises we sing to Princess Twilight.

Her deeds make her name legandary.

She freed us from Nightmare Moon.

And brought about Discord's doom.“

„Well...“, began Spike and scartched his forehead, but his doubt was overpowered by the guards:

„She will have her own kingdom soon, Princess Twilight.

See her crown, we should bow down.

Nopony dares to play a prank

for her magic is the top of the rank.

She has got guards, she has got servants and flonky.

Love serving her, fullfilling her wishes, they are just lousy with loyality.

To Twilight...Princess Twilight.

All...the....praises we sing to Princess Twilight!

Our princess is a sight lovley to see.

And that good ponies is why

you all doodled-up and dropped by.

With her fancy castle

servants galore

Her crown and gown and jewelery and more!

With forty hoofmans, her cooks, dressmakers and guards that all sing on key

Make way for Princess Twilight!“

Hidden Spark slowly stepped down the stairs and walked over the red carpet. Her dress whipped over the ground. The mare had lifted her head proudly and closed her eyes. Spike greeted his teeth. He formed his claws to fists. Smoke puffed out of his nostrils. That monster! What have you done to Twilight? She would never act like that, selfish demon.

The Cutie Mark Cursaders looked at one another. They seemed to realize that Spike was about to storm through the crowd and slapp the evil out of Twilight. Applebloom quickly wrapped her arms around the dragon. „Calm down“, she whispered urgently as they watched all these fools, who surrounded Hidden Spark, bowed deep and praised her as if she had always been the sole ruler, „We will make this false monarchy end.“

Fleur dis Lee lifted a brow and gave Fancy Pants a questioning look. The white gentlecolt snorted. He leviated his monocle and placed it on his eye, which he squint thoughtfully. „Mon dieu“, he said, „Something is off about that mare. I can see now, why you and your friends are trying to save Ms Rarity and her friends, Ms Sweetie Belle.“

Sweetie's eyes flashed. „Fancy Pants“, she asked and made her best puppy dog face, „Could you please keep an eye on Hidden Spark, while we try to find the others?“
The unicorn laughed gently. „Of course.“ The stallion slowly walked in the direction of the false Princess with an autority only an aristocrat can have. Fleur stopped styling her mane and went after him at once.

„Good“, Sweetie Belle said and let out a sigh of relief, „Now this problem is solved. What are we gonna do next?“ The Cutie Mark Cursaders looked at Spike. The dragon scratched the backside of his head and his tail started to twitch. His brow furrowed. Come on, Spike. Where could be the dungeons? Think, think, think.

He chewed his underlip for like fiftheen minutes, before the dragon asked: „How about we check one of the towers? Which one is hardly visited?“
Scootaloo replied: „The West Tower. Hardly any pony goes into the West Wing of the castle, except for Princess Luna and those, who serve her. This would be the ideal place for a prison, laying underneath the building.“
„Scootaloo“, found Sweetie Belle, „You have read too many Daring Do books.“

„Well, it is worth a try“, responded Applebloom. She grabbed the fringe of her dress with her maw and rushed carefully, yet in polite manners out of the great hall. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo followed at once. Only Spike turned his head back. Hidden Spark was laughing at a joke, Fancy Pants had said. His eyes were still clear. Good. At least one could rely on one member of the noble houses. Spike narrowed his eyes disdainfully at the creature that had become out of his best friend. Then in a fast movement he turned around as well and followed the three foals into the corridors.

***

The corridors seemed deserted from anypony. All guests were definitley in the great hall and only a few guards patroulled here. Spike and the Cutie Mark Cursaders were running as silentley as they could. Their hooves and paws made soft sounds on the ground. Whenever a group of soldiers could be heard, coming closer, the four ducked down behind carpets, furnitures and doors.

If we are able to get to the West Tower in that way, it will be a miracle. Spike had never been more anxious. He listened constantly to every step, every hiss of the wind, watched out for every shadow or unfamiliar movement. But his mind was still partly in the great hall and his heart was heavy, when he imagined Hidden Spark again and again. She had chosen the most effective way to show everypony, who now controlled all of Equestria. And no one, absolutley no one, complained.

They are all so blind. Can't they see there is a monster on the throne? Spike shivered. He had often faced several dangers with his friends: Nightmare Moon, Discord, Sombra, the Mane-iac. But no one of them had scared the purple dragon more then Hidden Spark. To see his best friend, his caretaker, being currupted by dark powers, was more then he could bear.

Somehow the three ponies and the small dragon had been able to reach the West Wing of the Castle. Spike's maw opened in surprise. The Cutie Mark Cursaders looked around equally curious. „I don't know, what you think“, said Sweetie Belle, „but I like this place somehow more.“ Spike did not know if he shared her view, but he could clearly see one thing. The whole Wing had Princess Luna's hoofwriting over it.

The tapestry was darkblue. Just like the stone. Violet ornaments and silver frescos. The windows were not as large as they were in the East Wing and they were not coloured but simple glass windows, composed in silver frames. Several black carpets hang from the celling, which were showing certain constellations. And the moon could be found everywhere. The whole atmosphere was different. Spike had a feeling as if he was taking a stroll during a cool summer night.

The four stopped. „Now what?“, asked Scootaloo, „We are in the West Wing and nopony has a clue where the dungeons are.“
Applebloom lifted a hoof. „Hsschhh, Scootaloo“, she found, „I say, we simply check this area. I doubt, that the entrance to the dungeons is somewhere upwards, because there must be Luna's private chambers.“

Spike thoughtfully scratched his head. I wonder, what jewelery Luna has got. I have seen Celestia's jewelery already. All her amber, firerubies, diamonds and emeralds. But I do not know what Luna has. He angrily snapped back to reality. It was not the time to start daydreaming now. They had to find the imprisoned mane five. Fast!

„Search quick“, the dragon whispered. The four spread and walked around. They looked for any new corridor or door. But Spike only spotted a stairchase, which went upwards and he did not dare to go upwards. He knew, that Luna's guards were probably still in her Wing. Actually nopony had ever seen a glimpsel of the infamous Bat Ponies, those strange creatures, who guarded the Princess of the Night. Well, except for those, who had been at this Nightmare Night Festival, where Luna had shown herself and had had much trouble in fitting in. But those times were past now.

„Hey, what is this?“, asked Applebloom at that moment. Huh? Curiously the dragon turned around. The other Cursaders walked to the filly. She was starring at a gap behind a carpet, which looked like somepony had ripped it thorn appart. The gap was very small, only large enough for the fillies and the dragon to fit in. Darkness yawned at them.

„Don't know“, said Sweetie Belle, „I can hardly see anything.“
Spike narrowed his eyes. „Step aside“, he said. The three fillies made way for the dragon. He took a deep breath and coughed a bunch of flames through the hole. In the green shine they spotted the walls of a small tunnle. Strange. Spike looked at the others and lifted a brow.

„Has anypony an idea, where this leads?“, asked Applebloom.
„No“, responded Sweetie Belle.
Scootaloo ducked down and added: „And I do not really want to find out.“
Spike carefully reached in the hole with his paw. His claws felt a polish wall. The dragon said: „Only one way to find out.“
„Oh, no!“, called Scootaloo, „You are not plotting to...!“

She fell silent at the sound of steps. The ponies and the dragon whirled around. Shadows painted themselves on the wall from another corridor. The silhouette of several stallions in armor. Spike did not think twice. „Go!“, he shouted and jumped through the hole. The Cutie Mark Cursaders swallowed, before they followed him.

***

Spike had landed on his bum and slittered down the tunnle. It was steep and full of curves. The wind hissed in his spikes. Spike tried to claw himself in the walls to slow down his fall, but his fingers always slid down on the polish texture. He heard the three fillies scream and howl in shock behind him.

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! Spike pressed one paw on his hat to avoid it flying backwards. He narrowed his eyes, but the smooth darkness around him never brightened up. His stomach made several jumps and his throat became sore. Sweet Celestia, please let us survive this!

And then suddenley the tunnle ended and he landed on a similiar ground. Spike tried to stand up, but the falling Cutie Mark Cursaders knocked him down again and he hit his chin. Ouch! Spike grunted something in agony. „Get down from my back“, he adressed the fillies above him, „Please.“ They did him the favour and his back sighted in relief. Spike carefully stood up and grunted once more. He pressed his paws on his bum, while stretching himself. „Ouch, iiich, autsch“, he groaned.

The three Cute Mark Cursaders looked around in awe. „We must be miles beneath Canterlot“, whispered Applebloom.
„I cannot see a thing“, complained Scootaloo. Sweetie Belle furrowed her brow and started to concentrated herself. Suddenley a thine, green light flashed on the top of her horn.

Spike gasped and also Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and Applebloom seemed to be rather impressed. They were in a large crystall cave. Thousands of violet tiles reflected the simple light of the unicorn's horn. Some crystals were growing out of the blackish stones like strange, exotic plants. Some small ponds of water shimmered here and there.

Slowly the group started walking. The sound of their steps echoed around them, together with a splish, when they walked through the ponds. They still looked around in amazement. I did not even knew, that those caves existed. They look so beautiful. And the gems...I bet, they taste delicious.
„Where are we?“, asked Scootaloo. She seemed to waver between fear and respect.
„Ah am not sure“, responded Applebloom, „But it is amazing.“
„Absolutley“, added Sweetie Belle, „Beautiful.“ She was walking at the top of the group, closley followed by Spike, Applebloom and Scootaloo.

The corridors were long and small. Spike had the feeling, they just entered another world. Crystal flowers blossomed in the darkness and amethyst waterfalls froze in the air. The light of Sweetie Belle's magic danced over all those wonders and suddenley painted several rather familiar shadows on a wall. The silhouette of ponies.

„Are those...?“, started Scootaloo, but Spike already had started sprinting.
„Spike, wait!“, shouted the Cutie Mark Cursaders and they ran after him. Spike's paws thundered over the ground, a pond splashed as he walked through it. The dragon rushed around a corner and gasped. The three fillies almost bumped into him and the light of Sweetie Belle's horn showed five ponies, sitting on the ground, chains enwrapped around their legs.

„Spike?“, asked Rarity and lifted her head.
Pinkie Pie called: „We are saved, we are saved!“
„Scootaloo“, called Rainbow Dash and she flew upwards.
Fluttershy whispered: „Applebloom, Sweetie Belle, what are you doing here?“
The ponies made a small circle around the dragon and the Cutie Mark Cursaders.

„Is everyone alright?“, asked Spike.
„Yes, everypony is fine“, replied Rainbow Dash.
Fluttershy nodded with sad eyes in a corner and explained: „All, except for Applejack.“
Applebloom cried. „Is mah sister wounded?“, she asked. It was at this cry Applejack turned her head. Spike gasped.
Scootaloo asked: „Is AJ crying?“
The small dragon spotted the lines, the tears had made. They were still floating out of those emerald eyes, which had never watered in front of anyone. The farmer sighted and turned her head away. She pushed her hat deep in her face.

„What has happened?“, asked Sweetie Belle, „I do not understand this. Applejack usually cries on the inside. Now she is really crying tears.“ Worry painted itself on the faces of the three fillies.
Rarity responded: „We do not know what is wrong with her. You must know, Hidden Spark showed herself and mocked us and when she left, AJ started crying.“

Spike slammed his paw against his own forehead. Oh, Jesus, Applejack, you have to clean the air. The dragon said: „AJ, you have to tell them. They deserve to know it. After all, even I had seen, what is going on between you and Twilight.“ Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity and Rainbow Dash shared confused glances.

Applejack slowly turned around. She took a deep breath and said: „Twilight and I are a couple.“ Everypony gasped immediatley. „W-what?“, stammered Applebloom in disbelief, „Scince when?“
Applejack lowered her head. „About half a year by now.“
Rarity walked to him and placed an hoof on the farmer's shoulder. „Now this explains a lot of your behaviour towards Twilight.“
Pinkie Pie called: „I knew it! Wait, what are we talking about?“
Rainbow Dash smirked and sang: „AJ and Twily, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!“
Applejack snorted amused, while Fluttershy smiled. „I am so happy for you.“
Spike chuckled. Had this confession been so difficult?

Fluttershy asked: „How did you even come here?“ She looked at the Cutie Mark Cursaders and Spike.
„By sneaking in“, explained Scootaloo, „We came to rescue you.“
Rarity eyed the dresses for the first time very accurate. The clothes were a bit messed up by now, but they still looked good. „Sweetie, darling, those dresses look so nice. Have you made them?“, she asked. Sweetie Belle turned pink around her nose and nodded.

Applejack explained: „Even if you rescue us, what use could this have? Hidden Spark had already won.“
Spike pointed at the farmer with one claw as he declared: „I do not believe, what I am seeing. Is this the Applejack, I once sworn service to? Is this the Applejack, who has owned the heart of Twilight? AJ, you should have seen Hidden Spark at this festival. It would make you freak out. She is such a cruel, spoiled, heartless monster. You cannot give up now. You and the others are mabye the only chance to bring the real Twilight back to us. You have done it before by purifing Rarity. You are capable of doing it again. Besides, I doubt that Twilight would want you to give up.“

Applejack lowered her head once more. She became oddly silence. The other ponies waited. Spike hoped that his far-fetched speech had made an impact. Suddenley Applejack's head yerked upwards. She pushed her hat backwards to reveal determinded glowing emerald eyes. „Yah are right, Spike“, she said, „Ah owe Twilight this.“

„But how are we going to get rid off the chains?“, Pinkie Pie asked and waved her frontlegs, making the links rattle.
Scootaloo stepped closer. She lifted Fluttershy's hooves and eyed the chains. „With a sharp shim one should be able to break them“, the pegasus said, „The links are not really thick and they are not fussed with one another.“

Rainbow Dash sounded impressed, when she asked: „How do you know this?“
Scootaloo smiled nervously and twitched her ears. „I have to repair my scooter from time to time“, she explained and blushed, „I know stuff like this.“
„Great!“, called Sweetie Belle and yerked her arms in the air, „And where do we find a sharp shim in here? The only thing I see are crystals, crystals and more crystals.“

Spike looked around. A few rather large crystalls stuck in a bloc in the wall. It looked like a disgusting ulcer, out which the sharp staffs grew. The dragon ran over the edges with his paw. „They are rather sharp and seem to be strong.“ He grabbed one of them with his claws and started to pull. Come on, get out! Spike pulled and pulled, but his efforts were in vain.

Applejack had watched the situation thoughtfully. Suddenley her eyes brightened. „Applebloom“, the farmer hissed, „Up, kick, straight.“ „Up, kick, what?“, repeated Rarity confused and scratched her mane. Belivered she looked at the orange mare. Applebloom first looked unsure, but then she walked to one of the crystals, turned around and kicked against it. Spike's jaw dropped. Now what is that for?

Applebloom eyed the crystal, who kept stucking in the stone. She gave Applejack a questioning look, who nodded encouraging and replied: „Try to get its weak spot, sis. Ah am sure, yah can do it.“ The yellow filly nodded, whirled around and started to kick against it. Again and again. They listened to the sound of the hooves, meeting the polish surface with a low clack. The crystal started to tremble. Suddenley there was a cracking sound and the gem broke like a branch. It landed on the ground like a pen.

Spike stood there, maw and eyes wide in amazement. And he felt quite embaressed. This is a joke, isn't it? I tried everything to get this crystal out of his place and Applebloom just managed to do so by kicking against it?! The dragon shook his head. While Applebloom broke more crystals out of the wall, he, Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo used the crystal spears to crash the chains of the mane five.

Applejack slowly kicked the sockets from her ancles. The other four ponies grouped around him. Spike smiled brightly as the farmer said with a low, determinded tone in her voice: „Come, y'all. Let's find the exit of this caves. And save Twilight.“

Author's Note:

The song Praises for Princess Twilight belongs to Magpiepony and was taken from her musical Princess Trixie Sparkle. I shortened and changed some small parts of the lyrics, so the guards won't overdue it.