• Published 2nd May 2015
  • 5,124 Views, 60 Comments

The Last Human - Crooked Djinn



That slumbering city waits. Waiting for its last child to come home. To unravel its mysteries as it sleeps patiently, under the burning sand. Agartha. It waits for you. Step into a world of adventure and fantasy.

  • ...
22
 60
 5,124

The Final Bridge

There was no morning light to wake you from the immersion of unguarded sleep; there hadn't been for quite some time. No, what awoke you was the slight pain of hunger and thirst. The kind which would make an infant sound its gripe. As you opened your eyes, you recounted the previous day, as you often did each day you revived yourself from slumber. You recounted everything from the happening at the gates, to the long walk through the hallowed and barren streets of Agartha. Finally your thoughts rested here in this small house. You remember sitting by the record player, listening to ancient songs before finding the bedroom in which you slept. Celestia rested with her head on your chest, your heart playing a gentle lullaby.

Spike, who had decided to stand guard, was slumped over against a wall. The captain still slept in what you assumed was the living room. You could hear his snores bounce off the smooth stone walls. A yawn escapes you. Your body shudders with the large breath and wakes Celestia from her own sleep. Her ears were the first to perk up, taking in the sounds of your loud yawn and nothing else for you were the only thing to make sound. You watched as her head lifted from your chest. A motion that was groggy and so lazy that you thought it'd take a few minutes to complete the action. Finally she looked at you, your eyes meeting hers in a wonderful exchange of morning greetings.

"Good morning."

She said with a smile. You couldn't help but smile yourself. Even if you fought the urge, you would lose.

"Good morning to you too. Did you sleep well?"

With a single motion your hand finds the back of her ear, scratching in a way that made her curl her head to the side and shut her eyes tightly in bliss.

"I slept wonderfully. Though the mattress is a little hard."

Of course it was. It was made of stone after all. Though bizarrely soft stone, but stone nonetheless. You sit up, out stretching your arms and yawning once more. Surprisingly, you had slept very well and were beginning to think you'd never know a more pleasant sleep. And though the room was still dark, the only light being the torches lit by Spike, you still had a sense of morning. Turning on your rear, you place your feet on the ground. Last night you had removed your boots, leaving you to feel the dusty floor beneath your toes. Celestia did the same, placing all four hooves on the floor before moving towards the dragon who slept with a slight snore.

"Spike, it's time to get up."

She said in a very soft voice.

Spike stirred in his sleep and then went still, ignoring her. You watched as she placed a hoof under his nostrils, cutting off the air during his inhale. You count the seconds it took for him to start squirming and panic before shooting his eyes open and gasping through his mouth. Seven seconds. Celestia and you both laugh, much to Spike's expense. He sighs, standing and giving you both an unamused look.

"Yeah yeah. Morning to you guys too."

He grumbled. He waddled over to his rucksack lazily, still coming out of the morning dizziness. He ruffled through the bag, unzipping the many zippers and unbuckling the various belts that held its innards. Finally he withdrew a Spike-Apple, the abnormal fruit held carefully in his claws. He looked to you.

"You two guys hungry? All we really have left are these and water. We'll have to make it last."

Your stomach growled. A low bellow that sifted through the air and into everyone's ears. Celestia giggled, turning around to take the fruit from Spike's hand with her mouth. He gave it to her, thinking nothing as she gingerly stepped closer to you and presented the apple to you within her muzzle. You look at her for a long while, perplexed by the strange notion that it was. She bade you take it, silently of course.

"Thank you. Though Spike is right, we'll have to make these last. I doubt we'll come by any food down here."

You take the fruit from her, subconsciously checking for saliva out of habit rather than necessity. Biting into the fruit, you enjoy the small breakfast. It'd be a while before you could come by some real food. The others take one as well, enjoying the sweet tastes that danced happily across their tongues. Looking into the other room you could see that Howl was beginning to stir awake. Soon he'd return from the land of dreams and be with you. And the sooner he awoke, ate, and readied himself, the sooner you four could be on your way. You would continue down Man's road until you reached Eden. And what lay waiting for you, was unknown.

After breakfast, you all gathered in the main room, preparing yourselves to continue the journey once again. Celestia had gone through the house one last time to look for something that may be useful. When she returned, she found nothing but trinkets that when given a proper dusting, gleamed as if they were good as new. She rested them on the table. A single golden hoop earring, encrusted with tiny azurite stones. A large gold pendant in the shape of a star that hung from a strong chain. Two rings, one crowned with the purist of green peridot and the other a black, mystic onyx. Lastly, a silver bangle, engraved with stars and moons and other such heavenly objects.

"What are these?"

You ask upon close inspection. Celestia only took the necklace in her mouth and quickly placed it over your head so that it fell to your shoulders. The sudden weight takes you by surprise. The pendent was indeed heavy and would take some time to get used to properly. Though it was very nice and no man anywhere could resist gold.

"Think of them as souvenirs. A sign of the journey we'll keep to ensure we never forget."

She said warmly. You could feel the sincerity of her words. They tugged at you and made themselves quite clear to you. You'd never want to forget this odyssey, you doubt mere trinkets would ensure such a thing, but it was a nice gesture.

"Can I have the rings?"

Spike asked. He was eyeing the peridot and onyx stones like a hawk and would be loathed to give them up, assuming they were already his.

"Well, considering Anon is the only other with fingers, they're of no use to the captain and myself."

Celestia said, brushing the rings across the table to him with a hoof. Spike then took them, eyeing the gems as if they were crystal balls. At some point you wondered if he'd eat them then and there. But after a slight pause, he slipped each ring onto a different finger. Celestia then looked to Howl expectantly. It'd be rude to refuse to take part in the memory, so without much effort, he lazily chose the bangle and slid it up his right foreleg. Though he wouldn't admit it out loud, he was rather pleased with it. The earring was all that was left. Celestia looked at you again, giving a soft laughter of embarrassment.

"Anon, would you mind helping me?"

It hadn't occurred to you how she'd put it on. Considering that she, like most unicorns in the Badlands, was without magic. And with only hooves, it'd be a quite difficult task to accomplish. Taking the simple hoop in one hand, you draw closer to her, fiddling with the clasp so that the needle came loose. Celestia lowered her head and tilted to the side, her ear flapping. Before, you hadn't noticed the three or four dots that lined the outside of her left ear. They were piercings, deep and seemingly painful to acquire.

With the care of a doctor and steadiness of a deer you pushed the needle through the piercing closest to the base of her ear. Closing the clasp, you back away. It suited her perfectly. It wasn't too big to be a hassle and not too small to go unnoticed. And something told you that the princess loved her jewelry.

"Well? How does it look?"

She asked. Though you had already came to a conclusion, it was difficult to outright say your approval.

"It's wonderful. An excellent fit. As for the others, I think they suit us all quite well. Wouldn't you agree Spike?"

"Yeah! The peridot one may be my favorite. And Captain Howl's bracelet is nice too."

"Yes, I especially like the many stars on it."

Now Howl looked down to his leg, just now noticing the intricate carvings that cut into the silver. It made him more pleased with it. Satisfied, Celestia gave the place another once-over. When she found nothing, she moved to leave. With her swords holstered and her rifle hanging from her back, she stepped out into the open streets of district three without you all. She wanted to waste no time. Tucking the pendant into your shirt, you ready to join her. You pass the small lantern you found in the library to Spike and take a torch from the walls. You figured having more than one light source would come in handy.

Spike slung his rucksack across his back, now lighter than it had been before the various happenings. You waited for him as Howl walked past you and out the door. The torches flickered and danced, the brilliant green fire shining brightly. It'd bother you if you left without dowsing them, though it would hardly matter. Even so, you rounded the house, plunging each torch into a vat of sand in the corner of the main room. With Spike now ready to depart, you joined him as you all left the house and continued onward to district two, and Eden.

The streets were as empty as you had left them. By now you had grown accustomed to the peaceful silence and darkness that seemed to wrap around the eyes. Countless rows and tiers of houses lined the streets like people observing a parade. These houses were all very vast in likeness, some being large and imposing with others being meek and modest. You found yourself wondering if social classes were a thing back in those times. Where a large manor would stand, there was a tiny hut right next door. Were the people separate? Or did they all live in the same community and abstain from the idea of social class? Whatever the case was, you'd love to find out.

The road on which the four of you traveled was hard and rocky. Split in most areas and uneven to the point where it became somewhat of a hike. This was no problem for Celestia and Howl, whose hooves and long legs allowed them to step over misplaced stones with ease. As for you and Spike, you were stuck with watching the ground so that neither of you would trip and fall. Often the road would climb hills, making the trek even more similar to a morning hike. The buildings along the sides of the road climbed with you as you steadily made your way uphill.

Soon after reaching the top of the hill and walking for just a few minutes, the road began to dip at first very lazily and steadily, then falling into a rather steep incline. The four of you came to a stop, just before treading down the swooping road. You looked out. From your vantage point, you could see the lake of fire that churned around the city, and far into the distance, the tiny buildings that dotted the walls of the great cavern. Looking down into the shadowed city, you could see the walls that separated districts three and two. Beyond those walls, you looked at the dark structures, foolishly looking for Eden, though it'd be impossible to find.

"It must have taken ages to build such a place."

You say aloud.

"Hey Princess, how long did it take to build Canterlot?"

Spike turned to Celestia, who now turned her nose upward in thought. The exact number of years must have escaped her for she scratched the underside of her chin to provoke the memory.

"Hmmm, I can't say I rightfully remember. But if given an estimate, I'd say the castle alone took around twelve years. However the city itself is still growing even today."

"Then this place must have taken hundreds of years. It's much larger than Canterlot."

Howl added.

"Granted, mostly everything here is made out of stone, so it'd be relatively easy to find building supplies. Though there are other such wonders here that baffle me. For instance.."

"The trees?"

Spike interjected.

You all continue on the downward path, talking as you walk.

"Precisely. Not only that, but the continuous air flow. Building great bridges over a lake of molten rock. The Ishtar and Babel are one thing, but Agartha is a marvel on its own."

"Yes yes, we all know how great it is. No need to rub it in our faces."

Celestia nudged you playfully in the side, causing you to lose your footing and stumble just a bit. It made Spike laugh and surprisingly brought a smile to Howl's face. You didn't mind her playful nature, but lately it had been proven that she played a little too rough. You'd shove her right back, but that'd only cause a battle of shoves and pushes of which you wanted no part of. You decided to appease her nature and be bullied some more.

"Mind you we are on a very steep incline. Would you like me to fall and break my neck?"

You straighten your collar and erect yourself, regaining your balance. Celestia then gazed at the long road down and considered. You looked worried then. Predicting Celestia's movements and decisions was becoming much more difficult with correct guesses being scarce. For all you knew, she was completely willing to see you go tumbling and that frightened you.


"Say...if you encased us in the aegis. Would it be possible for us to simply roll downhill?"

Celestia said curiously. The suggestion was outright mad. It was reckless and most of all life-threatening. Though....it would close the distance rather quickly.

"No. That's insane."

You pulled ahead of them, not wanting to be apart of the idea any longer. You didn't see her lean down next to Spike and whisper something in his ear. Whatever it was, it didn't bode well.

"Well, now that you mention it, my feet have been a little sore from all this walking."

You ignored Spike. It was quite possible that all the sulfur and carbon dioxide was getting to everyone's heads. For all you knew, you were the last sane one. Then without warning, Celestia collapsed on the stone floor with a loud thud. Her rear in the air and her wings spilled lazily to her sides. Now you turned back. Howl was shying away, distancing himself from the toppled princess. Spike was sitting next to her, rubbing the soles of his feet and when you locked eyes with Celestia, no power on earth or heaven could pull you away.

Through her mane you could see the giant orbs of azurite stare back at you, helpless and pleading. She pouted with the expertise of a spoiled girl who was denied something she wanted. You liked to think that you were a unmovable rock, stubborn and not one to be willed easily, but that was before you stared into the heart of the sun and became its prisoner. You looked to Spike and he looked at you. Then you turned to Howl who had nothing to say but was equally as worried. Finally you looked back to her and her expression hadn't changed. Reluctantly, you sighed and walked back to them with your head hung low in defeat.

"Fine. But if anything happens, I'm holding you responsible.."

She immediately perked up, her face suggesting that what just transpired, never happened on your plane of reality. You envied how easily it was done. You suddenly felt the weight of the aegis on your left hand, possibly due to its relevance to the current situation.

"You worry too much, Anon. Learn to take risks."

She said happily.

"You don't worry enough..."

You bade everyone stand close to one another and they did just that. At the current moment, you weren't sure if practicing magic after the incident a few days ago was such a bright idea, but it was as good a time as any. Focusing on the magic that coursed into the aegis, you begin to focus on what you sought to protect. In this case, you wanted to protect the four of you from possibly dying from this stunt. Sure enough the magic springs forth. The azure light pours out from your feet, slowly spreading until it circled the four of you. Then it began to grow upwards in a spherical shape, encasing you all in a translucent bubble of magic. You then put out the torch and lantern.

"Princess, are you sure about this?"

Howl said, trying not to accidentally tip the sphere.

"Positive. My sister and I would roll off the side of Canterlot Mountain in great balls of magic. It's relatively safe."

"Relatively?"

You ask. But there was no answer. Instead Celestia began to teeter on one hoof, shifting her weight this way and that, causing the sphere to wobble.

"Yes. Providing the caster knows what he's doing. How about it, Anon? Having second thoughts?"

You concentrated, grounding the shield to the stone beneath you to stop the wobbling.

"Everything with you requires a second thought. Do you really think at all?"

"We could have been at the bottom by now."

Spike said impatiently.

"Well you heard him. Let us be on our way!"

Celestia leaned in close, her muzzle just inches away from your face.

"If you need someone to hold your hand, I'm right here."

You gave her the blandest look anyone had ever dared give her. She had a laugh at that. She truly did love laughing at your expense.

"Honestly, how do you stay so damn positive all the time...?"

You turn away, staring down the road as it dipped into the darkness at the bottom.

"Everyone brace yourselves.."

You warn everyone before you detach the sphere from the ground, slowly leaning forward to start the descent. Slowly, the sphere starts to turn and you quickly lose your balance, along with everyone else. You fall forward, hitting your cheek against the surprisingly soft wall of magic. Celestia and Spike began to shout like children on a joy ride and Howl merely closed in on himself, clutching his stomach as he coped with the pit in his stomach rising.

The four of you rotated like the contents of a marble, glued to the walls as it plummeted downhill. Pretty soon the four of you became a mess of limbs, wings, and hooves. Your colors blended into one another, becoming a indecipherable shade of white, purple, and gray. There was nothing pleasant about the entire situation. You felt like your stomach was going to leap out from your throat, and the blood was making its way to your brain in double time. That and Celestia managed to kick you in the back a couple of times.

The outside world became a spiral that could not be observed. It was more like staring into a swirling pool of dark shades and trying to figure out what was what. All you knew was that the four of you were rolling down hill. It being the 'faster' route of action. You wonder what possessed you to go along with the absurd ideals of Princess Celestia. As you spun, you began to feel the road level itself, but you showed no sign of slowing down. This was bad. You hadn't thought of how you'd stop yourself. Supposedly, you could just deactivate the shield, but who knows where you'd all fly off to. Maybe you could ground the shield like before, but who knew of the whiplash you could suffer. Maybe you could-

Before the thought could successfully register, you felt the sphere go 'bump' and spring into the air. You were now vertical. Slowly ascending, causing you to lose concentration. However it wasn't long before you began to fall back down, the impact shattering the shield and sending you all tumbling out like a spilled barrel of monkeys. You tossed and tumbled until you came to a stop on the old stone road on your back. Your back screaming at you and your head hosting a great song of bells and whistles. This entire ordeal did you no favors.

Amidst the splitting headache and bodily pain, you were however relatively okay. Spike and Celestia were laughing like school children and struggled to stand from their dizziness. Howl was quiet, clutching his tail and staring up into the ceiling of the cavern. It was amazing how not a single sound escaped his mouth. His heart must have been the equivalent to a locomotive chugging uphill. Struggling, you prop yourself up on your elbows, trying to drive out the dizziness and steady your vision.

Celestia seemed to be okay. She attempted to walk over to you, though wobbly and stumbling like a dunk. Your current vision made her seem like a blurry specter that danced with the elegance of a donkey. She had to work to break her fit of laughter and adrenaline before speaking.

"You see...A-A-An-.............learn to take risks."

She finally said before sputtering back into laughter.

"I prefer...to take risks that won't potentially kill me, thank you."

You move to stand, surprisingly easy for you considering how far off your bearings were. But not two seconds of standing on your own feet, you trip on your first step and collide with Celestia. She didn't fall, instead she was a rock of soft fur and feathers. You hooked your arm around her neck and used her for balance. She got you into this so she might as well be your crutch.

"Spike! Captain! Are you both alright?"

You call for a headcount to see who was still with you. Spike and the Captain both were counted present with a laugh and a groan. You hold the aegis up and use it for light as you try to find both Spike and Howl. Spike propped up by the large rucksack, leaving him facing up in the air rather than on the ground. It was still relatively dark without the torches, though you were close to the gates which housed magma canals. Both of them began to try and stand, staggering and nearly toppling over like toddlers learning how to walk. Soon enough, the dizziness wears off and you're able to rightly stand on your own.

"I suggest we never do that again. I felt like my heart was going to explode."

Howl said as he inched over to you. Spike however disagreed, stating that it was the most fun he had in a while. Celestia agreed. It seemed opinions were split evenly among the four of you. You crouch down and retrieve the lantern that surprisingly didn't break on impact. Same for your weapons and other gear. You really pulled through with the shield. Handing the torch to Spike, you light the lantern using the tinderbox compartment in the base. Before long, light returns to your party. Holding the lantern up high, you begin to look around. Around you was what seemed to be another park, but this one was littered with toppled statues.

Few statues remained intact. Those statues were of very important looking individuals. Strong and imposing, possibly great kings of old, and they seemed to watch you. Besides the statues, there were many trees and dry fountains. Broken carriages and toppled street lamps dotted the edges of the roads. Finally, you turn to the large gate leading into district two. It was relatively the same as the previous, but this time with a large 'II' to indicate the number two. The gate was open completely, allowing you to see across the bridge.

"We're almost there. Let's be on our way."

You motion for all of them to follow as you lead the way. As you made your way through the garden of toppled stone, you began to wonder why your people were so keen on statues. Even you were a statue at some point, but at least you could see the humor in that. Still, it was relatively quiet. You've gone at least three days without an attack, which meant you were overdue. It had been much too quiet and that worried you. There were only four of you now. Your odds against staying the angels' attacks were very slim; you'd have to be extremely careful.

Your grip tightens around the lantern and your eyes began to peer into the countless shadows that surrounded you. Then paranoia started to set in and you found yourself hearing sounds that weren't actually there. The other three had been talking among themselves and hardly noticed you. It was probably a good thing now that you thought about it. It would just put everyone on edge and none of you needed that, even though everyone had a reason to be. You then passed under the archway of the gate, leading out onto the bridge that spanned at least fifty yards.

Once again the heat rushed up to you, blowing your hair upward and jostling your loose shirt around. You didn't think you'd ever quite get used to the heat. Eventually, the nervousness within you subsided. You were nearly there. Eden, your final destination, was just beyond the last gate. All that remained was for you to find out what happened, and if you were lucky, find a way to dispel the curse that was the angels.

"In a few more hours, this journey may be over."

You spoke aloud, stopping any previous conversation between the three.

"Yeah, hard to believe with everything we've been through."

Spike added.

"Indeed, it's only been about nine days, yet so much has happened."

Celestia said.

And she was right. You'd hardly been awake and yet you've seen so many things both amazing and dreadful. It made you wonder what her first trip to the Badlands was like. Though she had warned you about the many dangers of the desert, you hardly encountered any of them save for the angels. Which meant that the last time Celestia was there, it had been a completely different world. Though you suppose you were glad you only had to deal with one party hunting you, and thankfully one at a time.

"Have you decided what to do after this, Anon?"

Spike asked. You had given it some thought, but still had yet to come to a decision.

"No, not at the moment. As I told the princess, it depends on what I find. That will ultimately determine what I do next. What about you, Captain? What are your plans?"

You turn to the gray stallion who brooded quietly behind you. He looked at you in surprise, confused by the question entirely.

"What else would I do? Continue to serve in the military. You want me to write a book or something?"

He said jokingly.

"Actually, a book sounds perfect. Spike already plans to write down everything in his journal and publish it. Perhaps you two could work together."

You offered.

"I don't know, Anon. Spike and the captain may have very different views on the various events."

Said Celestia.

"Maybe so. Still, I would like us all to remain friends after this. And who knows Captain, maybe we could-"

You stop yourself from speaking as you freeze in place. You were being careless and you were about to pay for it. Your foot had tugged at a very thin wire beneath you, triggering an explosion. You had tried to shield you all, but the reaction was too fast and you were all launched forward by the explosion behind you. The stone and rock was lifted from the bridge and flew everywhere, stray stone barreling towards you at insane speeds. You couldn't observe anything in the confusion, other than the sharp scream of pain coming from Celestia.

Immediately you try and get your bearings, blood dripping from your mouth. When you came to, you saw that Celestia had shielded you with her left wing, but the stone had shot toward her like bullets and she was wounded. Rushing to your feet, you unsling your rifle from your back and ready yourself for a fight. Your eyes darted everywhere, piercing every shadow, every crevice for your attacker. Then you saw them, sickly black creatures with silver eyes. They stood on the opposite side of the gap in the bridge, allowing you to behold them completely. And you knew what they were.

First Sphere:
Cherubim

They stood over eight feet tall with four crooked wings sprouting from their arched backs. Four heads sprang from the same neck, eight eyes staring at you. They each housed the head of a man, ox, lion, and eagle all with open, screaming mouths with jagged crystalline teeth. Each had the body of a lion and the hooves of bison. You were no longer afraid. More so angry, teetering on the edge of sanity more like. The past few days had been so peaceful, only to end with this.

"Howl! Spike! I need you with me!"

Shaking off the shock, Howl managed to slowly stand, readying his gun and standing to your left side. Spike however was having trouble coming to. He must have gotten the worst of the shock. Celestia was now making her way over to him, despite her broken wing.

"Celestia, are you alright?"

You call back to her.

"It's fine, nothing I can't handle. I'll look after Spike, you two concentrate on staying alive!"

You and Howl then readied yourselves for the onslaught. It was hard to figure how many there were. There could have been more hiding in the shadows, waiting for you both to slip up. After an intense moment of stillness lasting roughly five more seconds, the Cherubim sprang into the air, leaping over the gap in the bridge.

You and Howl instantly open fire, your rounds blowing holes in the black figures. Some managed to slip by the barrage of bullets, sifting their way past the disintegrating bodies of their comrades and charge you. Both of you continued to fire until they came too close, turning the battle into an all out brawl. It was a terrible idea to try and take the beasts head on; you needed to keep your distance and eliminate them one at a time. You duck under a Cherub's wide swing, his claws aiming to dig into the side of your skull. The butt of your rifle slams into its abdomen and sends it reeling on its heels. Howl then took care of it by landing a shot to its head.

Celestia was guarding over Spike. Despite her broken wing, she still readied her gun in case any angels made it past you both. Slowly, Spike was coming to. The battle stirring him from the sleep. There was blood dripping from his head and pooling on the ground beside him. Celestia provided you both with support as she waited for Spike to fully recover from the shock. The battle was becoming a melee fight between you and the angels. A multitude of times you came close to having your eyes gouged out or having a fist punch a hole through your torso.

They had you on the defensive and were slowly pushing you back towards a wounded Celestia and immobile Spike. One of them managed to overpower you and pull you up by your arms, forcing you to drop your gun. You stared into its shrieking mouth and beheld the many rows of teeth in its human jaws. But before you could be counted out, Howl saved you again with another shot. The angel dropped you to your feet and you immediately retrieved your rifle. Howl was currently being overrun by the beasts and you rushed over to him.

With a mighty swing you brought the gun down on a Cherub's head, crushing its skull. You repeated this, sending a shock wave of pain into the other Cherubim. One suddenly leaped over your head, bound for Celestia who was distracted by the others. You chase after it, leaving Howl to deal with the others temporarily. One-handing your rifle, you try and take the shot while chasing after it. Your vision was still slightly obscured from the explosion and you found yourself missing every shot. The angel was already well ahead of you and there would be no way to reach her in time.

"Celestia!"

You call to her, but she was too late. Just when you thought she'd be tackled off the side of the bridge, a single shot rang out from behind her. It was Spike who stood on his own two feet, clutching the side of his head and pointing his pistol at the angel.

"Anon! Howl is being overrun!"

Celestia shouted. You looked behind you to see Howl no longer making any attempt to attack. He was nearly on his knees, using his gun as a way to keep the Cherub leering over him from biting his face off. If only you had some way to push them back, otherwise this whole ordeal would be impossible. Then you remembered. You still had the power of the aegis. Not only was it a shield, but a mobile barrier. You could push them back and regain your bearings.

"Celestia, get to the other side and wait for us. Spike, if you can stand then you're with me."

Spike nodded, probably unable to say anything. He waddled over to you. You locked eyes with Celestia momentarily. You knew she'd try to protest, but you wouldn't have it. Her wing was broken and she was probably in a lot of pain. It'd make you feel better to know she was away from the fighting. In those brief seconds you stared at her, you managed to get your point across with a single gaze. She understood, though reluctant.

"Be safe!"

She shouted as she began to trot away to the gate, dragging her broken wing on the across the bridge. Nodding to Spike, you go and rejoin Howl, who was now back on his feet and fairing better than before.

"Is the princess safe!?"

Howl called out. You replied with a yes as you charged in. Now that the three of you were together, it was much easier to hold your own.

"We need to distance ourselves. I will create a shield to separate them from us!"

Howl and Spike nodded and began to back away while firing, trying to create as much distance as possible. Soon there was enough of a gap for you to divide both sides across the width of the bridge. The aegis began to glow and a magical blue line shot across the bridge before springing up in a thick wall of magic. Concentrating on the barrier, you will it to move and push it away from you three. The wall pushed the angels back, many of them pounding on it or trying to escape from the crowd to fly around.

Howl and Spike watched the sides for any stray Cherubs that tried to attack you. You stood ahead of them, your hand held in front of you. It didn't take much concentration to hold and move the shield, but one distraction could prove deadly, so you gave it your all. Once they were far enough away, you deactivated the spell. Spike and Howl then rushed to your side. Their roars could be heard for miles as the Cherubim sprang forth once more, but this time taking to the air. That was always a bad sign.

All three of you simultaneously shoot into the air. One by one they begin to drop like flies, but they did little to avoid your attacks. It wasn't until you saw a flash in their throats that you realized they were about bombard you with something. Almost as if on instinct, you shield the three of you with the aegis. Staring up at the angels, you see them unload heavy balls of fire on top of you. Each exploding on impact, forcing you on your knees and concentrating with all your might.

From far behind, Celestia watched as the three of you were pelted with explosives. It made her stricken with worry. Even though her broken wing was becoming more and more painful, it didn't stop her from laying on her belly and lining up her shot. She continued to give you support even from so far away. You watched as the golden rounds shot through the air and tore apart the angels that bombarded you. It did nothing but turn their attention towards her. They all proceeded to shoot their explosives at her. The balls of fire arching through the air and to the other side of the bridge. They all collided with the gate, causing it to collapse completely with Celestia on the other side. Now she was completely separated from the battle.

You took that chance to dispel the shield and return fire, catching them by surprise. There were fewer of them now, a result of the constant conflict. Each time they rained down fire from above, you shielded yourself, then attacked. The three of you moved in a phalanx, only attacking between bombardments. Soon you were able to get their forces down to around twenty or so, which made the battle immensely easier. But you didn't notice the Cherubim climbing up the sides of the bridge.

"They're on the sides!"

Spike called out and you turned to face them. They were already on you. Thinking fast, you slam the barrel of your rifle into the mouth of the closest angel, pulling the trigger. Howl and Spike follow up, eliminating the ground forces before the next barrage. You were growing tired, there was no telling how long you'd be able to keep this up. Then you heard the roar of the angels above you. Flames once again spewed from their mouths. You turn to face them, hatching a plan in those few seconds.

As the fiery grenades fell towards you, you grabbed them all with the aegis in a swiping motion. Enveloping them all in a single shield, you spin to gain momentum and send the explosives back into the air and dispelling the barrier. They grenades explode, taking the angels with them in a fiery heap. Around you they dropped out of the air, falling lifelessly before disintegrating. But one angel was still alive in its plummet. With its remaining strength, it shot one last fireball at your feet. It was too quick of an action to deflect. The explosion lifted you all into the air, sending you flying over the edge of the bridge.

You all ended up hanging on for dear life on the side of the stone bridge. Howl was clutched tightly to the edge, with you hanging from his back leg and Spike's hand clutched tightly in your own. Spike couldn't stop himself from screaming as he looked down into the lake of fire below. He could see the Cherubim fall and be enveloped by the undulating fire and closed his eyes.

"Don't let me fall!" He shouted.

Howl was having trouble holding on. If the situation remained as it was, his grip would give out and all three of you would fall. You looked up to see him staring down at you. There was an indescribable look in his eye. The look of someone who was all out of options. You would have questioned it if you hadn't felt Spike's tiny hand begin to slip from your own.

"Spike! Hold on! Can you climb up my arm!?"

You call down to him. But he shook his head, tears spilling from his eyes.

"No! I think......I think my arm's broken!"

You tried to pull him up with your arm, but you too were beginning to grow weaker. He was rather heavy.

"Howl! Do you think you could pull us up!?"

It was a foolish question, but you were desperate. You needed at least one chance of survival. Howl was strangely silent. He only continued to stare. His gaze shifting between you and the terrified dragon. Slowly, Spike's hand began to slide out from under yours. You watched as his emerald eyes shrank to the size of needles. You tried to tighten your grip, but it hardly helped. Gravity was pulling him away from you and there was nothing you could do. Spike was going to fall. He was terrified beyond all belief, but despite that, he managed to smile. He was scared sure, but that didn't change the fact that he had the time of his life with you. These past days had meant the world to him and in his last moments, he was content with trading his life for it. Spike now understood what it was like to stare death in the face, and though he was scared, he wouldn't regret it.

"Hey Anon......remember when I said I couldn't swim in lava...?"

You didn't say anything. You were hardly listening as you tried to think of a way out of this.

"Well, truth is I never tried. I guess now I'll find out."

Spike then gave a weak laugh. A laugh that was genuine and wholehearted. His smile became brighter and wider and when he looked down into the pool of magma, he no longer felt such an immense fear.

"Thanks for looking after me."

Your heart sank as you felt Spike's hand completely slip from yours. The distance between you grew all too quickly as you watched Spike plummet down into the fire. You call out to him, his name echoing off the walls of Agartha. Spike was practically your best friend and you had just lost him. You wonder if you could have saved him. Playing out the scenario over and over in your head. But there was no time to mourn. Just after Spike had fell, you felt something kick your other hand away. Looking up, you saw Howl was slowly sliding off the edge. And in that moment, he tried to kick you off of him. He was trying to throw you down so that he could lift himself up.

"What the hell are you doing!?"

You shouted. The rage was nearly blinding and you felt as though you'd pop a blood vessel. Howl stopped and looked at you, with the same look in his eyes.

"It's nothing personal. Merely survival. And don't tell me you wouldn't do the same. Now let go of me! There's no reason we both have to die!"

He kicked again, this time his back hoof striking you on the side of the head. That nearly kicked you loose. Not only did you just lose a very dear friend, but you were also being betrayed. You then tried to drag Howl off of the edge. If you were going to die, he was sure as hell coming with you! You pulled at him, digging your nails into his back side and tugging. Howl yelped and began to kick more frantically. With one last buck, he hit you in the nose and your grip slackened and you began to fall. Quickly, you catch yourself on a grove in the bridge by reflex. You watched as Howl climbed up over the edge thinking you had fallen.

The surge of emotion you felt right then was enough to nearly drive you mad. Instead you used it to push you upwards as you began to climb, using the many grooves and ledges of the bridge to assist you. Your arms were growing weak and you weren't sure if you could make it, but you still had to try. There was no way you were going to die without trying. You thought about letting go, ultimately giving in to the hardship. You were so done with it all. In that moment you found it hard to care about anything. Soon enough, your hand reaches the top of the bridge and you pull yourself up with all the strength you had.

[PLAY]

You crawl over on your stomach, gasping for air. Turning your head, you could see Howl running for the gate. Slowly you stand. Walking over to the rifle you dropped before you were sent over the edge, you hardly cared for morality anymore. He tried to murder you, so it was only fair that you try and kill him wasn't it? Those kicks finally knocked some sense into you. You were naive. You were so stuck in your morals that you failed to see the big picture.

You wanted everything to be perfect, everything to be fine, so when things took a turn for the worst, you were unable to cope with it. But now you understood that it was impossible to try and preserve everything. Some had to die in order to further the gain of others. Right now, Howl's death wouldn't bring you closer to Eden, but you'd be able to sleep better at night knowing he was dead. Without any thought you brought your rifle up to aim. The various scopes aligned themselves as you took aim at the back of Howl's fleeing head. You felt no remorse about shooting him from behind. Cowardice no longer existed in your mind. And after all, he tried to kill you to save himself.

The scopes finished aligning and you could see the crosshairs encompass his head. Without any sort of hesitation you fire away. The shot rang out with a loud whistle as it coursed through the air. Howl hardly stopped as the shot flew through the air. The light burrowed through the back of his head, spinning and pushing through his skull and exiting between his eyes. It was a clean shot. His body fell limp onto the stone. No cry, groan, or scream. He simply fell forward without a word.

You lower the rifle, slinging it over your shoulder. Looking about you, you see the rucksack Spike had been carrying and approach it. Picking it up, it wasn't as heavy as you thought it'd be and you hook your arms through the straps and carry it towards the gate. As you walk, you grab the lantern. You'd still need a light source. Within a few moments, you approach Howl's body and you stop. With your boot, you roll him over.

His eyes were wide with lifeless shock and his mouth hung open. You could see through the hole in his head completely. His death was instantaneous at least. You bend down and take him by the hooves, dragging him to the edge of the bridge. With a kick you sent his body lazily careening off the bridge and into the magma below. After this whole ordeal, you considered bridges to be bad luck. You continued on, Celestia was probably worried sick about you.

When you came to the collapsed gate, you called out to her, and asking if she was alright. There was no answer. She probably couldn't hear you. You take a step back and observe the rubble. Only the front of the gate had been destroyed, the debris falling in a fan shape. You could easily climb it, but you'd have to be careful. Gingerly stepping over the loose stone, you begin to climb. Thankfully, not too many stones were loose, making it easier to lift yourself up and ascend safely. You soon reached the top and called down to Celestia.

"Celestia! Are you alright?"

Instantly you hear her voice from down below.

"Don't worry about me! Are you alright!?"

She asked. You had already started to climb down, being more careful than you were with the ascent.

"For the most part!"

Eventually, your feet touch ground and you rejoin her. You felt her pull you in a tight hug with her good wing and foreleg, nuzzling your cheek with her head. You return the hug by wrapping your arms around her neck. For a while you remain this way until she remembers the others. She quickly pulls away, slightly embarrassed. But when she looks behind you and sees nothing, she begins to worry.

"Where are Spike and the Captain?"

You ignored her and instead lit the lantern so that you two could have more light.

"How's your wing? Does it still hurt?"

You set the lantern down on the ground and move to her left side to study it. She was dragging it on the ground and at the base were spots of blood. Her feathers were matted and almost falling out. It didn't look good at all.

"We'll have to bandage it."

Moving to the rucksack, you felt her eyes upon you and you stop. But you didn't dare turn your head and look at her.

"....What happened Anon?"

Now you turned to her, tears cascading down your cheeks. Celestia then rushed to you, catching you as you fell to your knees and sitting with you. Her hug was even tighter than before, pulling you close into her, your tears staining her fur. She understood what happened. Rather, she understood that Spike and Howl were dead. An immense sadness welled up within her as well and she began to cry with you. You two were the only ones left. Everyone else was dead, leaving you both alone. Celestia knew this as well as you.

She silently cursed herself for agreeing to let Spike accompany you. He was her responsibility, and due to her own mistakes, he was dead. She thought of how she'd explain his death to Twilight. She'd probably hate her forever. And Celestia thought she'd deserve it. She had made so many mistakes, mainly by coming here in the first place. The both of you began to share thoughts. Thinking of what you both could have done in hindsight to save everyone. Maybe she should have just killed you on day one. That'd save the lives of the Master Talmon, Master Jehuty, Ro'Jetty, Picket, the Fifty, Spike, and Howl.

Wherever you went, you brought disaster, and as you sat there, nuzzled into Celestia's chest, you began to realize this. Neither of you said anything for a long while. There was no need to. What was there to possibly be said? Instead you both opted to think about each other, vowing from that point on, you would let no harm come to one another. Now she was all you had. And there would be no telling what you'd do should you lose her. You didn't care whether or not she felt the same. You just wanted to take comfort in her.

Eventually, the tears stopped and you both sat there for what felt like years. You were so close. Eden was just around the corner, but there was no reason to continue just yet. And so you both sat there, taking comfort in each other as you both mourned.