• Published 28th Apr 2015
  • 1,056 Views, 11 Comments

Full Bloom - DouglasTrotter



Apple Bloom discovers a secret about her family and herself.

  • ...
3
 11
 1,056

Knowledge pt2

Apple Bloom groaned, and her sluggish hooves twitched. After a final groan, her eyes creeping open, she said, "Twilight?"

Twilight pulled Apple Bloom closer and clutched the filly in her hooves. Nervous minutes ticked by before Twilight breathed a heavy sigh of relief. She used a kind, gentle hoof to brush Apple Bloom's mane away from her eyes. In a hushed, awestruck tone, Twilight said, "We're here."

The ringing in Apple Bloom's ears ceased, and her vision cleared. As she and Twilight stood up, the brilliant world reflected off their eyes.
The sound and smell of water permeated the area. Beyond the ornate marble archway, a gleaming fountain stood in the center of the room; pristine, crystal clear water jutted into the sky where it formed a thinly veiled curtain that floated into the fountain's base. Large lush trees sat in each of the seven corners of the room. The world appeared endless while being illuminated by an ambient, non-existent source of light.

"Star Swirl the Bearded's most prized library." Twilight said as she passed beyond the archway with Apple Bloom at her side.

"Uhh, Twi. You're droolin'." Apple Bloom said.

"Pardon me," Twilight said, wiping away the drool from her mouth. Her enthralled eyes and mind drifted from bookcase to bookcase, column to column, and room to room, each time coming back to the fountain. "That wing in the library must be a small fraction of his knowledge. Oooo, I want to take all these books with me. There's no telling what's in them. A pony could spend their entire lifetime here, and they wouldn't even touch a tenth of what's in this place. Sorry..."

Apple Bloom smirked at Twilight. She gazed towards a room where several hats sat on top of several busts of Star Swirl the Bearded. A sign labeled "ceremonial hats" floated near the ajared door.

Both ponies continued their unguided tour of the library. The towering marble columns and bookcases reflected off Twilight's eyes. Apple Bloom nudged Twilight, the mare wiping the drool away from her mouth a second time.

"Clarity shall guide the knowledge seekers of the world to their destination. Speak your desire for knowledge, and it will be fulfilled."

The ponies' faces reflected off the marble plaque that stood near the fountain. Twilight scratched the side of her head, and then shrugged at Apple Bloom.

"Uhh, can ah get some info about dryads?" Apple Bloom said. Four, marble sized drops of water drifted away from the fountain. The pristine drops of water into a thin sheet, which soon solidified. After the sheet of water turned white, invisible letters became visible as lines in the formed parchment paper turned black. "Wow. What does it say, Twilight?"

Twilight scanned the paper. She sighed, and then, in a quiet voice, said, "We already know this. Maybe we didn't --"

"Ask the right question?" A voice said. Soft hooves guided Princess Celestia from behind the fountain and towards the two ponies. The princess looked at Twilight before she turned her gaze towards Apple Bloom. Princess Celestia faced her former pupil, "Why are you in Star Swirl's private library, Twilight? I did not teach you how to access it."

"I'm doing research on the dryad to assure Ponyville's safety. Apple Bloom was caught in my attempt to access more information. She's trying to find information about herbs for her potions." Twilight said.

Princess Celestia's mane and tail flowed in the windless room. The princess turned away from Twilight and Apple Bloom. A melancholic expression reflected off the water as Princess Celestia stared at the world around her. Her eyes turned towards a small portrait of Star Swirl the Bearded that resided on a table towards the back. The princess glanced at Apple Bloom, "My sister is quite talented. Wouldn't you agree, Apple Bloom?"

An audible gulp overshadowed the trickling water of the beautiful water fountain. Apple Bloom's hooves shook. Her ears lowered. She began to quiver.

"Apple Bloom?" Twilight said, watching Apple Bloom move behind her. She faced her former mentor, "Princess?"

Princess Celestia tapped a gentle hoof against the marble plaque.

"May I please have a tome on Star Swirl the Bearded's research pertaining to amniomorphics." Princess Celestia said in a calm voice. Water from the fountain coalesced into the visage of a book. "Please, do not disturb my reading."

Apple Bloom bit down on her lip. She moved forward, "Princess Celestia, Ah got to know..."

Princess Celestia's melancholic expression changed as she glanced at Apple Bloom, giving a stern eye towards the filly. The book floated away from the fountain. The princess's graceful hooves made no sound against the unusual road while she moved towards the table in the back with Star Swirl's portrait. She placed the book on the table.

With the cover open, the noise of the pages turning grated against Apple Bloom's ears. Her lower lip quivered. She turned towards Twilight, "What's goin' on?"

"Shh," Princess Celestia said, placing a hoof near her mouth. She continued her reading.

"Why won't she talk to me? Why won't she answer mah question?" Apple Bloom whispered to Twilight, struggling to control her voice.

"I've never seen Princess Celestia this unsettled. Wait, she asked for Star Swirl the Bearded's research. "Twilight said. She looked at the fountain, "May I have Star Swirl the Bearded's last notes?"

The fountain's water continued to flow. Twilight rubbed a hoof against her chin. She raised an eyebrow then made a similar, but different request. The fountain obliged and materialized two books. Twilight moved towards the opposite corner of the library, placed the books on the table, and began to read one with Apple Bloom reading the other, both making sure not to disturb Princess Celestia.

Water flew into the air and descended. Twilight skimmed over her book, soon glancing over the one Apple Bloom had begun to read. After a quick "hmm," Twilight returned to the fountain and made a second request. With the request fulfilled, the pony came back to Apple Bloom with two more books. Her eyes poured over each word, each page of the tome.

"Apple Bloom..." Twilight said in a soft voice. She closed the book in front of her, "Apple Bloom, I'm sorry. There's no... 'gentle' way to put this. It appears as though Star Swirl made contact with the first dryad to ever exist in Equestria, and it didn't go too well. Though he managed to study the dryad, it siphoned off a good portion of his magic and life throughout the research process. Let me --" Twilight returned the first book then came back to another, "-- see if this answers our questions."

"Entry forty... or is it entry eighty? Ninety-two? ... Celestia, my dearest friend, it is with regret that I must leave you in your time of need. Before you lies a difficult path, one that must traveled alone. Please, do not blame yourself for what has happened to this inquisitive unicorn, nor should you blame yourself for having to banish your sister. Despite the heavy burden that rests upon your brow, I know you will succeed. There are times that come when we must do what is right for the sake of others. For your sake and the love of the others around you, do not let that dark seed burrow into your heart --" Twilight said.

"-- for if it does, what blooms will mar you forever." Princess Celestia said, returning her book to the fountain. The princess passed by the two ponies. She moved along the soft pathway of clouds towards the marble archway. Her eyes focused on the tome in Twilight's hooves before giving a final glance towards Apple Bloom. She turned away. The princess fought back her tears, moved through the archway, and vanished in a flash of brilliant light.

"What do I do?" Apple Bloom said, burrowing her head into her hooves. She looked up, "Why are ya smilin', Twilight? I'm totally dead. Either I'm a monster or there's a monster inside me. Princess Celestia is gonna do somethin' worse than banish me."

Twilight shook her head, "If Princess Celestia truly meant you harm, she would have done it long ago. She could have done it back in the library in Canterlot. I believe she saw right through my invisibility spell. At least, she's seen through it when I used it to get cookies out of the kitchen when I had a slumber party in the castle."

"And?" Apple Bloom said.

"Getting to the 'heart' of the matter, Princess Celestia decided to ignore you because of Star Swirl's wishes. I guess 'the mind of a princess' is hard to understand." Twilight said, ending with a slight chuckle. Her jovial smile soured, and her ears lowered. She looked at the archway, "Star Swirl was one of her closest and dearest friends. When I asked about him, Princess Celestia would give me the kindest, warmest smile. Even the tone in her voice was happy when she reminisced about him. She's fighting herself. In the end, Princess Celestia is the ruler of Equestria, and she has to be prepared."

"Sorry to sound selfish here," Apple Bloom said in an annoyed tone," but what about me?"

"I'm concerned about you too. I can multi-concern -- Pinkie Pie is wearing off on me." Twilight said, placing a firm hoof on her forehead. She and Apple Bloom groaned while looking at the book. "It looks like we need to do a little research."

The water in the fountain continued its elaborate waltz. Twilight requested several more books. She grinned at each new book the fountain materialized. Soon, the table where she and Apple Bloom sat became a small book fortress.

Apple Bloom flipped over several pages of the first book before moving to the second. With the second book in hoof, her head bobbing several times. After the third, her heavy eyes closed.

"I got it!" Twilight said.

"Wha!" Apple Bloom said, falling off of her chair. "Hey, this is kinda comfy. I should have slept on the floor."

"Ponyfeathers, I thought I had it." Twilight said. An ornate, black covered book was pushed towards Apple Bloom. "Star Swirl's journal, well one of his journals since he had a lot to write about. I knew there had to be one here. Why can't I make sense of this?"

Several words glowed in a green light as Apple Bloom skimmed her hoof across the page.

"Twilight, didn't you say he studied dryads?" Apple Bloom said.

Twilight's eyes lit up. She nodded at Apple Bloom, "It looks like every seventh word is lighting up. Apple Bloom, this is a hunch. Star Swirl used his left hoof as his predominant hoof. Go check that tree."

Apple Bloom tilted her head and raised an eyebrow. She followed Twilight's hoof, moved towards the tree, peered behind it, retrieved a small box, and returned to the table.

"What in the hay. I've seen this symbol before. It's the one on Granny's key." Apple Bloom said after she came back to the table and placed the box in the middle.

"Wait a minute. This box is over six hundred years old, maybe older. Did Granny Smith tell you where she got the key?" Twilight said. The ebony colored box levitated in front of her as Apple Bloom skimmed over the journal. She scanned the box several times, arriving back at the symbol on top. Twilight picked up the journal and moved towards the exit, but found herself stopped at the door by an invisible force. The books floated back toward the fountain and dissolved into the water. "No, that was our only lead."

"And Applejack says I'm not a good student," Apple Bloom said. She presented a small scroll to Twilight, "Made sure to right down every word that lit up from the journal on this here scrap of parchment paper while you were fiddlin' with that box."

Twilight rubbed Apple Bloom's mane. She levitated the scroll and box in front of her, soon cringing as she neared the archway. Her sigh of relief echoed throughout the room.

"Ok, let's get out of here. I have a feeling this box is our biggest clue yet." Twilight said.

"..." Apple Bloom stopped, letting out a slight groan.

"It might be best if I teleport us out of here," Twilight said before her eyes widened, "Apple Bloom."

Apple Bloom froze in place. Green Sparks dripped from her forehead. Her eyes lit up in the same green color as the sparks. A sphere enveloped her and Twilight, both ponies vanishing in a flash.

*** *** ***

"Ow," Apple Bloom said.

"Ow," Twilight said. She stood up and illuminated her horn. "Farm Equipment? Are we in the barn at Sweet Apple Acres?"

"How? I just thought about it. Twilight, what's going on?" Apple Bloom said.

"O dear, this isn't good." Twilight said, rubbing a nervous hoof against her neck before she rubbed it against the dirt floor. "How do I put this... you're a unicorn foal right now."

"Hey, Ah ain't a baby!" Apple Bloom huffed before raising an eyebrow, "and what do ya mean by that anyways?"

"Unicorn foals can have a spike in magical energy. It's quite interesting, but it can also be quite dangerous. Putting my own interest aside in your ability to cast magic, the first spell you've latched onto is the teleportation spell. I'll have to do some serious research on how to contain your magical abilities till we can get this resolved." Twilight said. She scratched her head, " I don't even know where to begin on that one."

The doors to the barn opened.

"Bloom?" A voice said. A lantern was raised. It fell to the floor as swift hooves scooped up Apple Bloom. Applejack latched onto her little sister with a monstrous hug, "Don't'cha ever run away again. Ya hear me!"

"Ran away?" Twilight said, glaring at Apple Bloom.

"Whoops," Apple Bloom said.

The crickets continued their serenade with the moon starting its descent into the horizon. Applejack, Apple Bloom, and Twilight moved towards the farm house. After a final scolding from her big sister, Apple Bloom thanked Twilight for the help before heading to her room.

"That filly is gonna have chores to last her until she's as old as Granny Smith." Applejack said. She turned her furious gaze towards Twilight, "And where, might I ask, did you take her?"

Twilight's ears lowered, "Canterlot."

"Get out." Applejack said. She got up and opened the door, "Get out right now before I forget my manners and buck ya outta here so hard ya fly towards that castle of yours without the need of them wings of yours."

"Applejack, please. You need to see this." Twilight said, levitating the scroll and wooden box onto the table. "Please."

Applejack slammed the door shut. She adjusted her hat, and then trotted towards the table. "Before we go any further, does Princess Celestia know about Apple Bloom?"

"She already knew. That one in mah dream was the real Princess Celestia." Apple Bloom said, coming from behind the corner. The clock in the corner continued to tick on, "Twilight and Ah met her in this weird place. Ah don't know what's going on, but Twilight insists she's ignoring me. All of it is givin' me the creeps."

Apple Bloom's front hooves shivered. Applejack placed a hoof around her little sister, bringing her closer. Twilight pushed the box towards the middle of the table.

"Same emblem and everythin'," Applejack said. She examined the scroll and scratched her head. The cowgirl pony moved quietly up the steps, and then came back down. She pulled the box out of its hiding spot in the family room and returned to Twilight and Apple Bloom. "Ok Granny Smith, time to see what secrets you're hidin' here."

Applejack placed the key into the lock. She turned it. The first box opened with the pictures dumped out onto the table. After a nervous gulp, the key was placed into the second box's lock.

"What in the hay?" Apple Bloom said, watching the key refuse to turn. Twilight tried and failed. The key's end firm in hoof, the filly forced it against the lock. "Wow..."

The lid to the ebony colored box slid open. Applejack placed the pictures back into a first box and looked inside the second. A dark, forest green colored book lay inside with a note on top.

"Apple Bloom, your notes," Twilight said after she flipped through the book's pages. She took the note and laid it on top of the book, and then placed Apple Bloom's note on top of it.

Apple Bloom, Applejack, and Twilight wiped the sweat from their brows. Their eyes locked onto the pages. The letters on Apple Bloom's notes vanished.

"Well," Applejack and Apple Bloom said in a unison voice.

"Harmony is a powerful force within the world of Equestria. It's what binds all ponies together. Without the unicorns, the sun and moon cannot be raised. Without the pegasi, the weather and its intricacies are lost. Without earth ponies, all will go hungry and starve. Within Alicorns exists all three races, unified into a single being." Twilight said in a quiet voice. Her eyes followed each word in a fluid motion while her wings twitched against her sides, "What intrigued me was the notion of other, Alicorn-esk races. What if there were other races that represented unified beings of the unicorns, pegasi, and earth ponies. This dryad proves my theory, yet it is a saddening tale. There is no harmony in her body...."

Time ticked by while Twilight read the pages to Applejack and Apple Bloom. The moon neared the horizon's end.

"... I'm sad to say that my research is at its end as my own idiosyncratic nature has gotten the better of me, in my old age. The dryad's power is in such flux that it needs energy to survive, however, this can only sustain it for so long. I believe a dryad needs 'harmony' to permanently sustain its existence." Twilight said. She flipped to the final page over, "There's just a bunch of ink blotches. The last page is just some weird scribble."

"A tree?" Applejack said.

"Looks like your castle, Twilight." Apple Bloom said.

"No, it's different. Perhaps he means the tree of harmony. Maybe its energies can balance everything out." Twilight said. She looked at Applejack and Apple Bloom, "We'll need the help of the others if the tree of harmony is involved."

Apple Bloom shook her head. She leapt off her chair, "No, mah dream. Even Princess Luna said it bordered on precog-whositz. Ah don't want to hurt mah friends or mah family."

"I said it before and I'll say it again. I'm going to do my darndest to make sure you're safe. Won't force ya to do something that will hurt ya, sugar cube. Right... Twilight?" Applejack said.

"It is her choice, however, I do fear that without this, she will eventually harm every pony." Twilight said. She relaxed, "Apple Bloom. This is all theory, so take it as you will. I believe your dryad side is starting to mature. You've already casted a spell, a powerful one at that. That side of you will need energy and trees won't be enough."

"Ah'm scared," Apple Bloom's ears lowered.

"I know. I'm scared to, sugar cube. You're my family, my little sis'. Remember that we'll all be right by your side to make sure everythin' goes accordin' to plan." Applejack said, giving a heavy nod. "It's still your choice."

The rooster crowed. Apple Bloom shook. She gazed at the farm house, and then Applejack and Twilight. The filly wrapped her hooves around her big sister and received a firm hug in return. Twilight wiped away a tear as Apple Bloom was released from Applejack's hug.

"We'll have to be cautious. Princess Celestia knows about Apple Bloom, but not our lead. If she learns about what we are attempting, I fear she may attempt to stop us." Twilight said.

"We've got no choice. I promised to protect my little sis." Applejack said. She leered at Apple Bloom, "By the way, your triple grounded for sneaking off."

Apple Bloom sighed before she let out a deep yawn. Twilight levitated the filly in front of her as she and Applejack ascended the stairs towards Apple Bloom's room. The covers were pulled over Apple Bloom where she nodded off.

In a hushed voice, Applejack said, "Thanks Twi. You went above and beyond helpin' me out with Apple Bloom on this one."

Twilight smiled at her friend. In a quiet voice she said, "Ok, I'll get the others for an emergency meeting at the... 'table of friendship.'"

"Pinkie?" Applejack said.

"Pinkie." Twilight said.