• Published 28th Apr 2015
  • 1,054 Views, 11 Comments

Full Bloom - DouglasTrotter



Apple Bloom discovers a secret about her family and herself.

  • ...
3
 11
 1,054

Turmoil

A gentle breeze blew across the land of Equestria, cresting up the mountain where Canterlot resided then down it. The same calm wind soon passed through Ponyvile and into the crystal-tree castle's spacious hallways. As the tapestries, hanging close to the walls, wafted from side to side, the gems, above the ornate crystal table, dangled on their strings from the Golden Oak Library tree stump.

In the meeting room, Apple Bloom curled her tail around her hooves. She rubbed a nervous hoof against her neck as she sat near Applejack's chair. The filly closed her eyes, and then opened them to see her friends staring at her. Apple Bloom gave Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo a coaxed smile before it faded to a melancholic expression. In a hushed voice, she said to herself, "Can she make it?"

"You alright, Apple Bloom?" Scootaloo said, sitting near Rainbow Dash's chair.

"This is nerve wracking to think about some monstrous power inside of her." Sweetie Belle said while she sat near Rarity's chair. She placed a hoof over her mouth then lowered it. "I mean--"

The Cutie Mark Crusader's ears perked up. Once silent voices grew louder. Both doors to the meeting room flung open. One voice's owner bounded into the room and darted for her chair.

Pinkie Pie stuck her tongue out at Rainbow Dash. The athletic pony rolled her eyes before she demanded a rematch. Fluttershy giggled to herself, walked to her chair, sat down, and watched Applejack and Rarity sit in their respective seats.

"Ok, is every pony ready?" Twilight said. Her eyes glanced around the room. She sat down. "I'll call this meeting to order."

"First things first," Applejack said in a determined tone before giving her little sister a wink, "I need each of ya to swear not to talk about this with any pony else. That goes double for you, Rainbow."

Rainbow Dash snorted. She turned away, "I'm not promising anything until I know what's going on. You and Twilight just show up out of the blue, say there's a meeting, and run off? We have things to do, ya know."

"You shouldn't be napping so much, darling. Eight hours of beauty sleep is more than enough." Rarity said.

While the ponies conversed with each other, Rainbow Dash arguing with Applejack, Apple Bloom's withers twitched. The filly pressed her hooves against her ears. She went behind Applejack's chair.

"This meetin' ain't gonna happen lest I get a promise from all of ya. I'm talkin' a 'Pinkie Pie Promise' ta boot." Applejack said. Her stern eyes glanced at each pony in the room. Fluttershy swore her promise, Rarity and Twilight followed suit, and Pinkie Pie gave her deepest promise not to tell. After Applejack swore her promise, she nodded to Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo who swore theirs. All eyes stared at at the last unsworn pony with Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle gazing at her as well. "Well?"

"Fine. I 'Pinkie Pie Promise' not to tell any pony else about what's said here. Happy?!" Rainbow Dash said, giving an audible huff. "Now, what's going on?"

Applejack looked to her left. She looked behind her seat. With a few hushed words of encouragement given, Apple Bloom stood beside her big sister's chair. Applejack resumed her place in her seat. "Ok little sis. It's up to you how ya want to ask em for help."

"Is there a problem, Apple Bloom?" Fluttershy said.

Apple Bloom inhaled a deep breath as all eyes focused on her. She exhaled. The filly crept toward a potted sapling in the corner. She pressed her hoof against it.

Green light flowed from the tree and enveloped Apple Bloom's body. Several seconds passed. The once lush green sapling withered into a decayed state. After a slight twitch, Apple Bloom moved back toward the table.

"What just happened?" Rainbow Dash said. Her brow furrowed at the decayed plant. She looked at Apple Bloom, back towards the potted plant, and then back towards Apple Bloom.

"Ah wasn't sure about the best way to tell ya all about it. I'm... a dryad." Apple Bloom said.

"A what now?" Rarity said. She rubbed a slow hoof against her chin. "You're a 'dryad?'"

Fluttershy raised an eyebrow at Pinkie Pie who shrugged in return.

"I will field that one," Twilight said. She levitated the ebony colored box onto the table. With the lid open, she produced the small green book. An enlarged, holographic, magical image displayed the book's text to the room. "To elaborate, but keep it short since we have little time, dryads are similar to alicorns. Sadly, there's a problem. Their unicorn, pegasi, and earth pony traits aren't balanced. What you saw was a demonstration of how they try to maintain that balance. They need --"

"Please, ah need help. Ah need to get to the tree of harmony." Apple Bloom said.

Rainbow Dash's eyes widened, "What?! No way. There's no way in Tartarus we're letting Apple Bloom near the tree of harmony on a 'hunch' from some dusty old book. If she destroys the tree, how will we protect Equestria? Isn't this 'Rainbow' thing tied to it?"

"Rainbow Dash, please listen to what Twilight has to say. Apple Bloom needs help." Scootaloo said. She pressed her hooves together, pleading with her mentor to listen. "Thanks."

"Apple Bloom, why didn't you tell us about this? Though Rainbow Dash does have a valid concern, we're more than happy to help." Rarity said as she faced Applejack and Apple Bloom. Apple Bloom bit down on her lip and turned away. "I take it there is more to the story."

The room's light grew dim. The doors slammed shut.

"Indeed," Princess Luna emerged from Apple Bloom's shadow, "and I believe it best to show you. Do you object if I enlighten the others?" Princess Luna said. Apple Bloom smiled at the princess before nodding to her. "I will start by saying that this event unfolded over the course of several weeks. It was during one of those events that Apple Bloom had a powerful dream; the dream's contents -- coupled with its vivid nature and imagery -- caused her to fear events that had yet to pass."

"Apple Bloom, are you going to be alright?" Pinkie Pie said.

Tears ran down Apple Bloom's cheeks and hit the floor. Through a strained voice she said, "Ah wish... Ah wish Ah -- Ah'm really, really scared."

Applejack hugged her sister. She placed her hat on Apple Bloom's head. Applejack leered at Rainbow Dash, "You gonna deny this here filly, mah little sis a chance to be normal?"

"No. I'm not 'denying' her anything. It's just... well -- fine. I better not hear any whining if the tree gets destroyed, and we can't protect Equestria." Rainbow Dash said.

Princess Luna gave a gentle smile, "Fluttershy, thank you for enlisting Discord's services in keeping my sister busy. Without him, I doubt I could aid Apple Bloom right now."

"It was no trouble. Discord seemed rather happy to assist." Fluttershy said.

"Princess Luna, do ya know for certain if we have to worry about my sister's dream? If we have to worry about Princess Celestia?" Applejack said.

"Apple Bloom's dream is an uncertainty, much like my sister." Princess Luna said. Her mane flowed in the windless room while all eyes locked on her. The princess's ears perked up. She flew to the window after hearing a loud thud, scanned the outside area, and came back to the others. Princess Luna's once kind smile faded away. In a stern voice she said, "Though Princess Celestia and I govern Equestria as equals, my sister will do what she believes is necessary to ensure Equestria's safety."

"O my..." Fluttershy said, slinking down into her seat.

The room remained silent as Princess Luna looked towards Apple Bloom. She placed a gentle hoof on the filly's shoulder then faced the room.

"Star Swirl the Bearded was a precious treasure to my sister, and he was harmed by a dryad, either intentionally or unintentionally. She blames herself for what happened, for not protecting her dearest friend." Princess Luna said.

Pinkie Pie wiped away a tear, "This is so sad...."

Rarity levitated a tissue towards her friend then tapped a hoof against her chin. "Apple Bloom isn't the one who harmed Star Swirl the Bearded. Why would Princess Celestia be angry at her for something she couldn't have done?"

"I do not understand myself, but I do know that event is a painful scar, one that has plagued my sister for some time." Princess Luna said. She looked at her hooves and sighed. "I know all too well about invisible scars. All of you might remember the Tantabus."

All of the ponies in the room nodded towards Princess Luna. Rarity shivered in place, and then murmured to herself.

"Right now, it is my firm believe that my sister is torn between a great desire retribution, and her duty to help a subject in need. Perhaps it might be better to say a great battle is ensuing within her as we speak." Princess Luna said.

Twilight and the others gave a polite bow towards Princess Luna. She glanced around the room at each of her friends. Her eyes focused on Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle, and then on Apple Bloom, "Apple Bloom isn't just Applejack's little sister. She is a dear friend," Twilight smiled at the filly, "and we cannot abandon her. No matter what, no friend will ever be turned away in their time of need. No friend gets left behind."

Rainbow Dash snorted to herself before erupting into a loud chuckle. She waved her hoof at Twilight. "That was sappy, even for you Egghead."

"Hey, I thought it was pretty good." Pinkie Pie said.

"Anyways Twilight, you're right. I can't call myself the element of loyalty if I turn my back on a friend. We're the elements of harmony. We'll protect Equestria with or without the Tree of Harmony." Rainbow Dash said. She bolted from her chair and towards the window. After a shrug, she returned to her chair. "Feels like some pony is spying on us. Whatever, enough with the mushy stuff. What's the plan?"

"..." Twilight remained silent as she tapped a hoof against her chin. The ponies and fillies focused on the magical, holographic map of Equestria now coming from the table's center. Silent minutes ticked by while Twilight scrutinized the map. "This will be tricky. I don't believe it's wise for Apple Bloom to teleport to the tree. Her magic is too unstable, and I --"

"Apple Bloom can use magic?!" Pinkie Pie, Sweetie Belle, Rainbow Dash, and Scootaloo said in a unison tone.

"This filly has the capability to use teleportation magic at such a young age?" Princess Luna said.

"Twilight. We were gonna keep that one between us, remember?" Apple Bloom said.

Twilight placed a hoof on her forehead then apologized to Apple Bloom. The filly gave a sheepish grin to the wide eyed gazes she received from her friends, and the raised eyebrow from Princess Luna.

"I'll get back to the point. I can't teleport all of us to the tree. Not to mention the fact that the tree of harmony has powerful magical defenses to keep itself safe. I found out the hard way I can't teleport anywhere near it." Twilight said. She smiled, "I got it. We'll teleport to Zecora's hut. We can head to the tree from there."

"Okie, dokie, lokie. We go to the cave, get to the tree of harmony, cure Apple Bloom, and head on back to Ponyville. After that, we're gonna have. A. Par-tay! I'll throw you one great, perfect, Pinkie Pie Party Parade, Apple Bloom! I'm talkin' streamers, confetti, the whole town of Ponyville will love it." Pinkie Pie said. She sunk into her chair, "Or... maybe we'll just have a little party. Just have it between all of us."

"We'll definitely have something to celebrate when this is all over." Applejack said.

Princess Luna moved towards Apple Bloom's shadow. She looked behind her, towards the ponies with a concerned gaze, "Heed my words every pony. My sister is a cunning mare and may know of your plan. If she believes Apple Bloom poses a threat, she will try to stop her."

"I've got a backup plan in case of emergencies." Twilight said.

"Got a backup for the backup?" Pinkie Pie said.

"Actually, I do." Twilight smirked.

"From the bottom of this cowgirl's heart, I thank ya'll for the help." Applejack said, placing her Stetson over her chest. "It really means a lot."

"Whatever," Rainbow Dash said after landing near the door. She grinned at Applejack. "You can pay me back with plenty of cider."

"She's not the element of generosity, that's for sure." Rarity said, ending with a quiet giggle to herself.

"If I might have a word alone, Apple Bloom?" Princess Luna said, watching the others leave.

The room remained silent between the mare and the filly. Apple Bloom looked at her hooves. A kind, gentle hoof raised her head.

"Apple Bloom," Princess Luna said.

Apple Bloom gulped. "Yes, Princess Luna?"

"I ask you this not as Princess Luna, co-ruler of Equestria. I ask you as a friend. Please, free my sister of this guilt and sorrow. Allow her to overcome the pain she has endured for so long." Princess Luna bowed to Apple Bloom.

"How?" Apple Bloom said.

"That is for you to decide." Princess Luna said. Soft hooves guided the mare onto Apple Bloom's shadow. "I am sorry, but this is indeed the last time I can directly render you aid in such a manner. I will resist the call to arms if my sister commands it, however, I cannot go against her. It will cause too much strife amongst Equestrians to see its rulers fighting amongst themselves."

"Please Princess Luna..." Apple Bloom said.

"The others believe in you, as do I. I know you will free my sister of her struggle, and end this difficult chapter in her life. Just remember that your actions are not set in stone." Princess Luna said before she vanished.

Apple Bloom sighed, "No pressure."

The audible sigh resonated off the crystal walls of the meeting room. Apple Bloom looked at the map. She steadied her hooves, adjusted her bow, and then galloped down the crystal hallway after the others.

*** *** ***

"Hey. What were you and Princess Luna talking about?" Scootaloo said, seeing Apple Bloom catch up.

"She wants me to help Princess Celestia." Apple Bloom said.

"How?" Sweetie Belle said.

"The mind of a princess..." Apple Bloom said to herself, her friends shrugging at each other.

The group proceeded down the main hallway of the crystal castle. Rainbow Dash darted in front of Pinkie Pie who groaned at her. The two raced each other down the hallway, both neck and neck.

"What in the hay is going on?" Pinkie Pie said, coming to a quick stop with Rainbow Dash behind her.

The castle's doors flung open. Mares, stallions, fillies, and colts shouted at Twilight. Apple Bloom's withers twitched. She backed away before falling onto her flank. Her shaking hooves pressed against her ears.

"Please every pony, calm down. What is going on." Twilight said.

"They're going to kill the tree of harmony," Diamond Tiara said. She pointed a swift hoof at Apple Bloom. "Apple Bloom is a dryad. She's evil. It's just like you all heard from the meeting I recorded on my newest, greatest toy Daddy bought for me."

"There's no way in Tartarus we're letting Apple Bloom near the tree of harmony on a 'hunch' from some dusty old book. If she destroys the tree, how will we protect Equestria?" the recorded voice said before being silenced.

Twilight took a deep breath then exhaled. She came forward, "I can assure every pony here, that is not the case at all. As with all stories, there are two sides to this story. I am more than happy to explain --" Twilight ducked as a pot whizzed past her, "-- hey, who threw that?!"

"How can you call yourself a princess if you plan to destroy our one source of protection, Twilight Sparkle." A voice said.

"Yea. You above all others should know the gravity of the situation." Another voice said.

"HEY! That voice may be mine, but there is more to it than that." Rainbow Dash said. She looked behind her, "Apple Bloom needs help. We can't call her our friend if we just turn our backs on her!"

"You said it yourself. How will Equestria be protected if the tree of harmony is destroyed?" A mare came forward, shaking her hoof.

"No. Well yea, I said something along those lines." Rainbow Dash said.

"Get Apple Bloom!" The mob shouted. They pressed forward, "Turn her over to Princess Celestia!"

"Send the dryad to Tartarus!" One voice said.

Twilight shut the doors to the castle. Two heavy bars came down, locking the doors. A bead of sweat rolled down her forehead as she reinforced them.

Applejack sat near her sister. Rarity and Rainbow Dash comforted Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo.

"The voices stopped." Fluttershy said.

As the others listened in, the heavy bars to the castle levitated up. The doors opened.

"P-P-Princess Celestia," Apple Bloom said.

Princess Celestia stood outside of the castle, her main flowing. She looked at the others around her, and then into the castle.

"May I come in?" Princess Celestia said.

The ponies of Ponyville remained quiet. Twilight's wings twitched at her sides. Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Sweetie Belle, and Scootaloo backed away. Pinkie Pie brought a small piece of cake towards Princess Celestia, the cake placed on a small table in the foyer.

"These ponies have a grievance, and I was notified about it by Mayor Mare. May I come in?" Princess Celestia said.

"Princess Celestia. Apple Bloom is a dryad. You'll protect us, won't you." Diamond Tiara said.

Apple Bloom furrowed her brow and raised her hoof, "What is it that you have against me, Diamond Tiara? What did I ever do to you!"

Thick roots shot out from Apple's hoof. Her eyes widened in terror with her angered expression vanishing in an instant. The filly froze, and then shouted "no."

Princess Celestia's horn glowed in an ethereal light, and a magical shield formed around Diamond Tiara. Time froze for the princess and Apple Bloom, both of them gazing at the roots just inches away from Diamond Tiara.

"N-No... No." Apple Bloom said. The roots quickly retracted, her hoof back to normal. Green sparks dripped from the center of her forehead. "Not now."

Princess Celestia's horn glowed in a fiercer white light. The small shield around Diamond Tiara grew, engulfing the crowd. The yellow shield swallowed the last pony as a green blast of magical energy blew against it. Diamond Tiara's tape recorder, outside the shield, burst into flames before turning to ash.

Twilight lowered her own magical shields around her friends. She collapsed to the floor, panting heavily.

"What was that?" Rainbow Dash said.

"If I. Had to guess. It was. A compressed, extremely focused beam of pure magic." Twilight said through her heavy breathing. She stood up. "This isn't good."

"Now do you see my concerns, Twilight." Princess Celestia said. She moved forward on steady hooves, stopping in the foyer of the crystal castle. Her eyes met her former protégé's. "What are you going to do?"

Apple Bloom hung her head. She moved passed the others. Before she could pass Twilight, two wings and hooves stopped her. Twilight held out her wing with Scootaloo holding her wing out. Sweetie Belle held her hoof out with Applejack doing the same.

"You've made your choice." Princess Celestia said.

Green Sparks dripped forth from Apple Bloom's forehead. Her eyes glowed in green light, illuminating the area. Princess Celestia leapt back and out of the way. A large green sphere enveloped the others, the castle now empty.

"Princess Celestia, what do we do?" A voice said.

"I know where they are going, my little pony." Princess Celestia said. She scanned the crowd, "Mayor Mare?"

"Yes, Princess Celestia."

"I want you to keep Twilight Sparkle's castle under watch in case she returns. Notify me if she does." Princess Celestia said.

"What are you going to do my youngins?!" Granny Smith said, eying Princess Celestia. "For a princess, you ain't got nothin to say? What're ya gonna do to mah family?!"

"..."

Big Macintosh stood beside Granny Smith, his mane wafting in the slight breeze that brushed against it. Both ponies eyed the tall mare while she remained silent.

With her horn aglow, Princess Celestia vanished in a brilliant flash of light. The mob stared at Granny Smith and Big Macintosh. Both ponies stood their ground.

"Every pony, we must remain calm. For right now, we will follow Princess Celestia's words and watch for the return of Princess Twilight Sparkle and the others. Give word to me if you see them, and I will convey the message to Princess Celestia herself." Mayor Mare said. As the ponies dispersed, she turned to Big Macintosh and Granny Smith, "I am sorry, but I must ask both of you to return to Sweet Apple Acres for now."

"Ah ain't leavin until I see mah granddaughters come home." Granny Smith said.

"Eyup." Big Macintosh said.

"Remember, your actions have consequences." Mayor Mare said.

Big Macintosh placed a gentle hoof over Granny Smith's side. The stalwart stallion glared at the dispersing mob before he turned away from Ponyville and headed back towards Sweet Apple Acres with Granny Smith.

Author's Note:

Sorry all, this took a little longer than expected. I had some serious homework to get done before I could sit down and write. It doesn't help matters any with another story in the works as well. I do hope this chapter update was well worth the wait. To be honest, I kinda felt torn as to which direction to take this next chapter. In the end, I settled for something a little more dramatic.

Comments ( 2 )

Wouldn't you know that that little bitch Diamond Tiara would stick her nose in everything and cause trouble for AB? (Well, what RD said admittedly didn't help matters any, but still.........!)

And everypony wonders why I hate that little twit so much.

But Celestia needs to let go of what happened in the past. That wasn't Apple Bloom's fault.

As to this

"Remember, your actions have consequences." Mayor Mare said.

So do yours, bitch. So do yours.

Namely.........

As to the Ponyville ingrates (weird how they turn on folks when the going gets tough, huh?), the Apples should just refuse to do business with any of them, and send their produce and stuff out of town to sell.

And after what Diamond Bitch did, Granny should flat-out cut all ties, business and otherwise, with Filthy Rich, to show him that there's consequences for what his little "princess" did.

Actions have consequences Celestia and yours will lose you the Mane 6.

Login or register to comment