• Published 26th May 2012
  • 749 Views, 4 Comments

The Red Rock Canyon - Flynn_Vector



Applejack goes to Red Rock too meet an old family member, or is she...?

  • ...
 4
 749

Chapter 2: No place for weeklings

Sweet Apple Acres has been Applejack's home has far has she remembers, she loves her farm, her family and her life there. Time heals the scars of the past, but you never forget... Applejack remembers her parents faces, what she knows about who they were is just what she was told; both hard working farm ponies, her mom an excellent apple bucker and knew how to work the land, but she was also a loving pony, always willing to lay a hoof.

Her dad was the best, if not, the greatest rodeo pony Equestria has seen, he won numerous blue ribbons in his competitions across the land, but he also was a good farm worker; though but fair and honest all the way; you can say a lot of what Applejack is, she got it from her good ol’ dad, in fact, she remembers spending more time with him than her mom; she even looked like him; he was tall, clear yellow, long dark yellow mane with a lasso rope for a cutie mark and a rodeo hat he always used.

The day her mother died was soon after Applebloom was born, it came so sudden no pony could predict it; she died of an old sickness someponies get when they are pregnant, it was a miracle when doctors diagnosed Applebloom and saw she was clean. Applejack’s father was left with the whole farm to handle all by himself, Big Macintosh had to help right after arriving from school. Applejack was still too young to handle any physical work and Applebloom was just a baby filly, thankfully Granny Smith was there to help with Applebloom. Things were bad at the time, they could not produce even half of the products they needed to keep the farm in business, and Applejack’s dad hadn’t won any prize money in the last competitions; the reserve money was running low and he knew he had to do something; he called Linus, Applejack’s uncle and her father’s younger brother.

Linus was just about the size of his brother, he was dark gray color, with a slightly long mane, green eyes, using a dark brown coat and a white button shirt bellow; he was no farmer, in fact he knew next to nothing about the topic, but that was ok, because there were other plans. Applejack’s dad was leaving Equestria to participate in a rodeo that he said would “guarantee stability for sometime”, he just wanted Linus to take care of his kids and Granny Smith while he was gone. Applejack remembers very well the last time she saw her dad; it was an early morning and there were some ponies gathered around the farm, they came to wish good luck to their champion, the apple family was saying his goodbyes, Granny Smith was holding the little Applebloom between her hooves so she just kissed him in the head and wished him luck, Big Mac gave a big hug to his dad while he told him:

-You’re the big stallion now kid; you take care of your two sister’s k’?-

Big Mac has never been the big talking type of pony but still said “Eyup” while nodding, then the rodeo stallion approached to his little Applejack, he putted a hoof on her head:

-Dad…- said the little Applejack, she sounded like she was about to cry:

-Oh, sugarcube… it’s k…- said the father to his daughter in the most gentle voice possible; he has always called her sugarcube for affection:

-Your dad is gonna bring money for tha farm, you have to stay here and finish school- said the stallion while taking his hoof of his daughter’s head.

Applejack loved her dad so much she just could not handle the fact he was leaving, she didn’t wanted to be alone…

-When are you comin back…?- said Applejack softly, her father’s answer was a worried stare, not much:

-Hey tell ya what!- said her dad while lowering himself to her high level:

-When I come back, I’m gonna teach ya to be a rodeo pony just like yer dad!- he said with what seemed to be forced joy; but little Applejack was filled with it after hearing does words, is what she always asked him to do:

-DEAL!- she raised her hoof happily and her dad bumped his hoof with hers in response, that’s a full yes:

-I love you, sugarcube, don’t ever forget that…- said the father one last time while lowering his hoof.

He lastly approached to his brother Linus, he smiled at him while raising his hoof, offering to shake it:

-Thanks bro, this means a lot to me…-

-I will protect them- said Linus while shaking his hoof with his brother’s. -I just hope you know what you doing big brother-

-It’s just another rodeo Linus, I’ll be k-

-Just… come back in one piece- said Linus one last time before letting go of his brother’s hoof, in response to that the rodeo stallion looked at his brother with a smile and that eye of the storm clarity in his green eyes.

The stallion turned away and started walking down the road into the rising sun, all the ponies around started to shout his name and wishing him luck.

That was the very last time Ponyville saw the greatest rodeo pony on Equestria ever again…

--------------------------

Applejack is slowly waking up to the sound of the moving train and the warm touch of the sun in her neck and part of her face, it’s been a fine night for her, although she doesn’t feel she has regained all her strength for a good night sleep; “must be the nerves” thought the mare, she stands from the bed and stretches while yawning.

"How long have I sleep?" Thought Applejack has she puts her hat on, she walked towards the window; dust and far away rock maintains on sight, dominated by the color red, how ironic. It couldn’t be long before arriving to the station; while there was still time, the pony decided to check her things one more time, she just feels like she is missing something… she doesn’t even feel like wanting to eat breakfast, it’s the anxiety. Everything is in order, everything that is needed for basic survival necessities are all in Applejack's saddlebags, and in good time:

“Ladies and gentlecolts, welcome to Red Rock we are arriving at the West Station; remember to pick all your belongings before getting off the train. Thanks again for traveling with us and we hope to see you soon”

Well… it still didn’t sound quite well, but what does that matter now; Applejack has finally arrived to her destination, she grabbed all her things and double checked to make sure she hadn't left anything behind. While on her way to the exit door of the train Applejack saw some ponies getting off, but not has much has she thought there would be, she could notice in a slight distance the same mare that was talking in the line while waiting in the checkpoint the other day; she was getting close, until finally; she was out.

There at a few meters was the town, not really has deserted has she thought, the best description to give is that it looked almost like Appleloosa in Equestria, except slightly reder and in worst conditions, Applejack started to walk towards the town; she was looking all around the place, especially the ponies around, they are all earth ponies, no pegasus or unicorns on sight, and their fashion was definitely far different from the standards from Equestria’s Canterlot; ponies wondered around long dust coats, using cowboy hats and button shirts bellow, they reminded Applejack on how her uncle dressed; means she is definitely in the right place but the one thing that got her attention was what some were holding, are does… weapons? “No way” thought the mare; does aren’t seen in Equestria anymore, but then she remembered, that this isn’t Equestria and if she is going to be here she is going to have to adapt to their life style, the orange pony tried her best to not look so out of place but that was impossible. The fact she is not wearing one of does clothes means she is already one.

First things first, thinks Applejack; she heads to a small building with some shade, and pulls out from one of the saddlebags a small piece of paper, like a latter, again, trying to act as natural as she could, but the eyes of pretty much everyone in town are set on her, the orange mare is starting to feel uncomfortable and embarrassed; but did her best to keep it cool and ignore the sights.

A hoof puts down the paper that Applejack was just looking at, right in front of her there was another mare pony; dark green, curly brown hair, eyes white, with a light white duster coat, a white shirt bellow and a white cowboy hat, Applejack just remains there speechless:

-You Applejack?- said the green pony while looking directly at Applejack’s eyes.

She has the same country accent like Applejack, but sounds more rural, like more remarked:

-You Windshot?- responded Applejack, firmly and serious, it almost sounded like she was challenging her, her intentions were to intimidate of course:

-I don’t think you are in position to talk to me, or any other pony, like that around here, Equestrian…- Said the green mare in the same tone has before “Yes, am Windshot…” continues while pulling back to give air to the orange mare:

-Tha latter said you are going to take me to Linus- said Applejack while returning the paper inside her saddlebag, seems like she is now trying to be nice and friendly to the pony, Windshot responded with a grin:

-Eyup, I was told to find you and get’ cha to him- said Windshot -He’s away from this town, we should get moving, he hates waiting-

-Ok, partner, lead tha way, I’ll follow- said Applejack.

Windshot nodded and begun riding towards the outskirt of the town and Applejack follows close behind her; Applejack was not sure what to make of the situation, it feels like everything is happening fast; but she hopes to find the answers soon…

--------------------------------

It’s been just a few minutes since they left the town, they are galloping towards a distant desert, Applejack can tell there are distant canyons beyond the long going sea of sand; seems like that’s where she is being taken:

-Hey Jackie!- said Windshot in a loud tone so Applejack could listen through the wind and galloping noises:

-Beg pardon?-

-I was wondering-- -

-What did ya call me again?- interrupted Applejack:

-Oh… I said Jackie…- replied Windshot happily

-Jackie? Why?-

-Jus ma way of rememberin ponies I guess, Applejack is too long fer me; ‘sides Jackie suits ya better!-

-Look Windshoot, Ah don’t mean to sound rude, but Ah just know you for a little while- said Applejack seriously

-Ok Ah understand-

There was silence for a little while they continued galloping through the desert, until Windshot broke the silence:

-Do ya trust me at least?-

-’Guess Ah have no choice- said the orange mare:

-Jeje, Ah still remember da last pony ah…-

-How long ‘till we get there?- interrupted Applejack suddenly, Windshot just froze her sight into the equestrian’s cold looking face, she returns her sight front:

-Not much…- responded Windshot, coldly.

And so true, at a distance Applejack could see some ponies, or at least looked like ponies, it’s hard to tell, the sun is going down and there is a bit of sand catching into Applejack's eyes; but it surely looks like there is something going on. It was just a minute after they got there, indeed, it was a camp; not exactly something lustful, but it was something at least, Applejack gives herself some time to catch her breath:

-Applejack…- said Windshot, the orange pony looked at her

-…your uncle will come see ya shortly- continued the green mare has she was turning around, looks like she is leaving -an’… a word of advice Equestrian, you're playin’ with the “big boys” now-. She slowly turns her head to see Applejack, one more time:

-Red Rock is NO place for weaklings… like YOU- finished Windshot in the most serious way imaginable, enough to make things harder for Applejack to digest, just looking around her, is clearly not a good place, the ponies there don’t seem trusty folk; Applejack feels like her stomach is about to explode.

Windshot tip hat’s Applejack -See ya aroun’ cowgirl- and with that, she gallops away, Applejack is left alone in an strange place with strange ponies.

They are already looking at Applejack with does eyes of discrimination; there are more stallions than mares, all dressed in the same style like the ponies from the town, cowboy hats, long dust coats, etc… Applejack can only tell herself to stay calm, but that’s not enough.

------------------------------

It’s been a few minutes, and no sign of Linus; at this point Applejack is sitting on the dusty ground, tired of waiting, the ponies in the camp are still at their thing, they seem to stop caring about her. "What is taking him so long?" wondered Applejack.

-Applejack!-

"That voice" though the farm mare has she lifted her sight to see Linus right there in front of her, looks much older but clearly seems healthy and strong. The mare didn’t knew what to feel; on one side joy for seeing a familiar face in this strange place and on the other side, deep anger ready to explode, but she lets herself be taken by the most important one:

-Uncle!?- says Applejack happy and confused, not before hugging Linus, the old stallion responds respectfully:

-I got word you were coming kid-

-By Celestia, uncle, I feel like I have so many thin’s to-- - said Applejack, she sounded like in a rush, but is unexpectedly interrupted:

-…look, Applejack, right now we have to-- - Linus is interrupted by a loud explosion, very close to where he and his niece are; the straight of the blast was enough to drop both ponies of off their hooves.

Linus stands first and helps Applejack to stand:

-Applejack! Applejack!- screams Linus at the orange mare who is still dazed by the blast, Applejack shakes her head to fully recover, the next thing she sees is chaos and destruction all around, someponies helping wounded ones, others shooting… fire weapons? “No way thought” Applejack.

-Kid, you gotta go now!- says Linus to a choked Applejack, he is holding her to make the frightened pony look at him and not the other atrocities going on around her:

-…you hear me? GO NOW RUN! RUN!!!- shouts Linus before letting her go so his niece have an opportunity to escape alive, he grabs a rifle with his front hooves and stands in two hooves to aim and shoot at an upcoming stallion, Linus hits the target right on the head:

-PULL BACK COMRADES, WE CAN’T TAKE THEM ALL!!- commands Linus.

Applejack finds herself galloping for her life trying to get out of there has fast has she could, she could see all the different ponies fighting barbarically between them, there are some dressed slightly different, but with the i must survive! repeating in her mind is hard to focus on that, Applejack heads towards a hill that hopefully will lead out of that battlefield, just when she is about to get on top she sees a stallion pointing a rifle at her, although she tried dodging by pure reflexes the incoming thread, she finds herself receiving a bullet right in her stomach and falls on the floor.

The stallion pony is about to give the finishing shot, but he received his earlier from his left side, Applejack lies there, on the cold, dusty floor has she feels how her vision gets darker and just nearly hear anything anymore, her stomach and chest burns and can’t even move a single hoof; she didn’t have straight to take action, but she did had time to think one last thing about, her family and friends, has a tear runs down from her eye…

This is no place for weaklings…