• Published 24th Apr 2015
  • 582 Views, 3 Comments

Night Fall - Conclusion - Yosh-E-O



Pint and Bucky discover what Fall's life is really like inside the orphanage by arranging a sleepover they'll never forget

  • ...
 3
 582

Chapter 8 - Revelations at Sunset

“I think we’re safe,” stated Pint upon entering the room with Fall.

Fall was still shaking with fear. Her muscles were tight and her eyes closed. Her underdeveloped wings couldn’t even be seen for she had them pulled so tightly against her trembling body.

“Fall,” said Pint. “It’s okay. You’re safe now.”

Fall continued to quiver as she slowly opened her blue eyes.

“Sa, sa, safe…?” she asked.

“Yes,” assured Pint. “Bucky blocked the bullies so I could get you in here.”

Fall’s eyes fully opened as she took in how she was now in the bunk room.

“Buh, Bucky…?” she asked.

“Yes,” said Pint. “We’re friends.”

“Fa… Friends…?” asked Fall. Her body had now stopped shaking as she allowed her tiny wings to unfold.

“Yes,” confirmed Pint. “Bucky and I are your friends.”

Fall stared towards a window on the far side of the bunk room. She then darted towards it without saying a word.

***

Pint took notice of all the bunks in the room. They all had the same bedsheet, comforter, and worn out pillow. There were little stands by each bed in which he only could assume were places for the children to keep their material possessions.

“Wow…,” he awed upon noticing how little each of the colts and fillies in the room had.

***

Upon reaching where Fall had darted towards, he noticed that it was a bunk unlike all the others. It had a stand for personal items, but none appeared to be placed on it. The pillow and blanket missing from the bed and clumped up along the windowsill with Fall laying atop of it and staring outward.

“Fall?” he asked.

The small, brown Pegasus gingerly used her hoof to open the window’s lock and opened it ever so slightly.

Pint jumped up on the bed, which felt and sounded like an old see-saw at the park, and sat alongside Fall.

“I…,” said Fall meekly. “The sunset.”

Pint looked out the window and admired how the sun was about to set over the horizon. The sky bright with various hues of red, orange, and purple as the moon prepared to rise up from the horizon from where the sun was setting.

Fall took in a deep breath and sighed.

“The air,” she said without facing Pint. “It’s nice.”

Pint took notice of how thin and scratchy the blankets he was lying on were. He also thought he could see a pillow under Fall, but it seemed too smooshed to be an actual pillow.

A breeze blew in that gently teased at Fall’s pigtails as she asked, “Will I… Will I ever be free?”

Pint moved in closer and put a hoof over Fall.

“Yes,” he said. “Bucky and I will get you out of here. I promise.”

“Where will I go?” she asked while keeping her eyes focused on the sun in which had now set.

Pint didn’t know how to answer. So he decided to position himself over Fall’s back so that he could comfort her.

“Do you know why they don’t like me?” she asked.

Pint was again speechless.

“It’s because I’m a False Foal,” she said.

“A False Foal?” he asked.

“Yes,” she sighed. “I keep the fillies and colts who are my age from getting adopted.”

“That…,” said Pint. “That doesn’t make sense.”

The stars began to appear in the darkening sky as Fall answered, “It’s what they say. It’s what’s true. It’s why I am punished.”

“No,” assured Pint as he held Fall tighter. “That’s not true.”

“A foal like you wouldn’t understand,” stated Fall.

“A ‘foal’ like me?” asked Pint. “I’m not a foal.”

Fall said nothing. Her eyes fixated on the first stars of the night. It was as if she were calling out to Princess Luna for help.

“I’m going to be seven in a few weeks,” stated Pint. “I’m definitely no foal.”

Fall gasped as she turned to face the brown-spotted Unicorn.

“You…?” she inquired. “You’re almost seven years old?”

“That’s right!” Pint stated proudly.

Fall gestured for Pint to get off of her. She then eyed him from head-to-toe.

“So…,” she struggled to say, “You’re… Like… Me?”

“Huh?” asked Pint.

“A False Foal,” she said.

“What?” wondered Pint.

“I’m…,” she stammered. “I’m…”

“What?” asked Pint.

“I’m…,” gulped Fall. “I’m seven years old, too.”

Pint’s jaw dropped upon hearing Fall state this.

“You,” he said. “You’re older than me?”

Fall nodded slowly.

Pint was surprised at what he was hearing. There was a part of him that couldn’t believe that Fall was older than both he and Bucky. But there was another part of him that felt a sense of relief in knowing this as it meant he wasn’t the only one who was accidentally believed to be a foal due to his small size.

“LIGHTS OUT!” cried a mare’s voice from outside of the room.

Fall gasped with panic.

“Quick,” she said while closing the window. “Hide.”

Pint took notice of the blanket and comforter they were sitting on. So he hid himself under both while Fall took the pillow, slipped it under her head, and slid herself into the blankets to give the illusion she was already ready for lights out.

“I hope this works,” thought Pint as he heard the sound of many hooves trotting into the room.

Author's Note:

This is the conclusion of "Night Fall". Some details have changed since the inception of the story so please don't mind any slight variances between what the characters know and don't know. Particularly on Pint's part.

The characters are continually getting updates to improve upon the telling of their story. Though these are minor changes in which do not impact the story's whole. We hope you enjoy it.