• Published 14th May 2012
  • 1,390 Views, 13 Comments

Aperitif/Digestif - Mr Merritt



A dream sends Peppermill back to Canterlot to fulfil his late parent's wishes

  • ...
1
 13
 1,390

Chapter Seven

Given the natural amount of havoc an evening in Canterlot Castle went through, the sight of a grey colt wandering aimlessly among the hallways didn’t raise many eyebrows. It was probably a good thing, for if anypony actually made an attempt to accost the colt with the pepper grinder cutie mark, they would have been alarmed at the hollow look in his dark eyes.

Not…important… Peppermill, oblivious to everything around him, could only walk stiffly down the maze of hallways before him. As much as he wanted to run, his legs wouldn’t function properly. The various wall hangings and décor he passed were not given a second look, for he couldn’t see a thing through the tears that tried to flow down his cheeks.

She was…scared of me? Somehow Peppermill managed to arrive at a small open space deep in the castle. The starry sky above and Luna’s Moon illuminated a green square of grass seemingly in the middle of the thick walls of the building. The only other items in the area were a stone bench and a large tree with blossoms hanging heavy in its branches.

A…tree? For the first time in the last few moments, a sliver of composure flickered in the colt’s eyes. The sight of the foliage brought an image of apple trees to mind, followed by an overwhelming sense of homesickness.

“I ran…all the way there…once before. Could I do…it again?” Peppermill asked out loud. The voice of reason, the voice that Peppermill considered the source of his much-lauded maturity, told him it would a bad idea. At the very least Rarity would go berserk if he were to race off in the middle of the night back to Ponyville and Sweet Apple Acres.

“What do…I do?’ wailed the colt, sinking to his belly in the soft grass. Head hanging, he gave a shiver as a gust of cool wind rustled the leaves of the tree.

Then he gave another shudder, this one of surprise. The chill had suddenly been replaced by such a sense of warmth and softness, the colt almost yawned in comfort. It was when he felt something…feathery caress his back that he regained a bit more of his senses. He lifted his head to see a large, white wing lay tenderly across his body. He turned his head to follow the wing to its source, and found himself looking into the gently smiling face of Princess Celestia.

“Oh…bother…” moaned the colt. “I am…so sorry if…I woke you…up, Your Majesty…” Peppermill was silenced by a warm nuzzle on his forehead, and he heard the soft murmur of the alicorn.

“You have nothing to apologize for, my little pony. I could never sleep knowing one of my subjects was in such distress.”

“Everything was…going so well. All of…the former employees…were doing well. Then I heard…about Azure Mist. I know that Rarity…kept telling me…that it was…love…but…but…”

“But?” This gentle prod by the goddess brought forth a flood of barely-comprehensible words from Peppermill. Celestia simply sat there, letting the colt’s pain gush forth. She made no attempt to stop him, knowing that doing so would not prove helpful to relieve the pain he was experiencing. It was only when he wound down with a rather faithful statement that she reacted.

“I don’t know…if she even…really cared for me…”

“That’s not true!” Peppermill looked up to find Azure Mist standing before him, flanked by Rarity and Princess Luna. The colt never said a word, but promptly turned his back on the Pegasus, ears pressed against the back of his head. Azure gave a sigh, but continued to speak.

“The day the fire happened was my day off. I wasn’t even the city, because I was visiting relatives. I didn’t find out about it until I literally went there the next morning for my shift to find a burned out husk. I swear I thought my world was coming down around me. Some fireponies who were still checking for hotspots told me about the fire, and how…how the owners had been lost in the blaze.” The Pegasus’ words came out forced, as she painfully relived the ordeal.

“That hurt, knowing that your parents were gone. It hurt so badly that I flew straight home and locked myself in my room. I don’t think I’ve ever cried so much in my life. The thought of losing that beautiful building and your wonderful parents, it was too much for me. I admit, the thought of you or your brother never crossed my mind…”

“I…knew it!” snapped Peppermill. He was about to lay into the mare when Azure Mist cut him off with a word.

“Peppermill, please let me explain. It was a few days later when one of my friends came banging on my apartment door. She basically yelled through the mail slot that…that Saltpeter had been seen being led away by some guards when he was found rummaging through the ruins of the restaurant. I just about flattened my friend between the wall and door when I flew through it.”

“I got there just in time to see more guards racing to subdue Saltpeter. He supposedly was resisting arrest or whatever. He looked like he had been in a fire himself, given how much of his mane was burned off. He sounded more like some sort of wild animal than a pony, snarling and growling, yelling that the restaurant was his and no pony else could have it.”

“Somehow, when I got his attention and begged for answers, he seemed to calm down. But then I asked what had happened to you. The moment I said your name…” The mare gave a shudder at the memory, while the colt (despite his attempts to be angry with her) felt a pang of regret at her discomfort.

“He screamed that you were dead…over and over again. He said he hated you and he was glad you were gone. He said that you took the talent he should’ve had, and that ponies didn’t deserve to know somepony like him.”

“Saltpeter must have went straight back to Canterlot after he came for you in Ponyville.” remarked Rarity, remembering the events with a look of disgust.

“All my sadness turned to fury. I’ve never been so mad in my life. I couldn’t believe Saltpeter would say such things about you. Those same guards that had to restrain him ended up doing the same to me.” Azure turned her gaze to the ground. “Then he said what I think was the worst thing of all: he called me stupid for caring about some colt when I could have had a stallion like him.”

“I couldn’t believe he would say that. Why wouldn’t I care for you Peppermill? You are one of the cleverest, most gifted colts I’ve ever met. I never had any siblings, so I kind of thought of you like a little brother. I mean, you managed to survive a fire, that rotten older brother and all his venom, and found yourself all the way into Ponyville.”

“Yeah…” came Peppermill’s ragged reply.

“After the…well, fight with Saltpeter I flew back home and spent a few more days locked away. The thought that you were gone hurt so much…I just wanted to lay in my bed forever. I hardly ate during that time, and every time I went to sleep I’d have nightmares of seeing you and me and your parents all in that fire…”

“Then, one night, I had a different dream…”

***

”You wanted to see me sir?”

It felt like the end of another shift when Peperoncini and Crème Brule had asked me to come to their private table. You usually didn’t get asked to do that unless they had something important to discuss.

“Hello dear. Has everything gone ok tonight?” asked Crème Brule. I was always amazed at how beautiful she was, and yet she never acted like some of the other mares in the city who would shameless flaunt their appearance.

“Nothing out of the ordinary ma’am…”

“I suppose a dull night is better than one having the kitchen staff running around like chickens with their heads cut off.” Peperoncini always made me think about something my grandmother always said about being comfortable in your own skin.

“Unless we are serving folks from the Griffin Kingdom dear. I suspect they would probably enjoy that…” The warm laughter between the couple made me feel warm all over…

…until Peperoncini gave me a firm look.

“But in all seriousness Azure Mist, we do want to make sure you are enjoying your job.”

“I love working here sir. Between the food, the staff and the clientele what mare wouldn’t?”

“We are glad you feel that way dear. But are you sure this is something you want to do for the rest of your life?” asked Crème.

“This…this isn’t me being laid off, is it?” The initial terror at that thought was quickly replaced by immense relief by the older ponies shaking head.

“Absolutely not! Hostesses as good as you come once in a blue moon.” said Peperoncini,

“It’s just we thought of you when this was left by somepony from the castle during the lunch rush today.” Crème pushed a slip of paper to me, and I peered at it. It was a notice that the Night Court, preside by Princess Luna, was looking for a new bailiff.

“A bailiff?” I asked puzzled.

“A far cry from a hostess, but surprisingly similar, I suspect…” remarked the tall stallion, his dark eyes twinkling.

“I think that would suit you quite well. After all, I remember it wasn’t that long ago we had to literally send a dishwasher to your apartment just to get you up for the breakfast session.” smiled Crème Brule.

“But…what about the restaurant? And Peppermill? I promised that I would take him to be carnival when it came here…” I began.

“It isn’t like you couldn’t come by and enjoy a meal or some company here dear…” said Crème.

“And while I imagine my son might be less enthusiastic to see you go,” added Peperoncini, “I am sure he…both of them would be happy to see you doing something like that.”

“I don’t know…”

“I know you would miss us, some more than others…” remarked the cream colored mare, “but you do need to sometimes think of yourself. Never forget that…”

“Never forget…”


***

As Azure Mist’s story finished, she caught the brief look of open-mouthed shock on the colt’s face. She gave him a wan smile. “When I woke up the next morning, it was the first time in weeks I felt refreshed. I couldn’t get the image of that notice out of my head. I found myself having this overpowering urge to go to the castle. Even if it was nothing more than a product of my misery and exhaustion, I just had to find out for sure.”

“When I reached the castle, do you know what the first thing I saw was? I swear, attached to a public notice board was the exact same flyer I saw in my dream. I don’t know why or how, but I realized it was a sign. I had to go through with it, no matter how much I missed my old job and life. No matter how much I…missed you…”

“And the rest…is history?” The three mares before him looked at one another, rather surprised by the abrupt change in the colt’s demeanour. Only Princess Celestia seemed unfazed, merely maintaining an enigmatic smile on her face.

“I was pretty much hired on the spot, and have worked here ever since. But believe me Peppermill, I never forgot. But seeing you here before me, seemingly rose from the dead, I think I would be entitled to be a bit flustered.” Azure Mist strode forward, and lifted the colt’s chin with a hoof so she could look him in the eye.

“Miss Rarity and the princess told me all about your…adventures. I am so happy you found a family that loves you as much as your parent’s did. I’m not as surprised as you might think about you wanting to come back to Canterlot to check on everypony. That’s your father’s influence shining through.” She suddenly leaned in, her own eyes sparkling. “And apparently being…popular with the fillies doesn’t surprise me either.” Peppermill glanced around Azure to give Rarity a dark look, while the white mare simply smiled.

“I think you should be ok now Peppermill.” announced Celestia. “I assume you can handle things from here sister?”

“Of course! We…” Luna suddenly went pale in the face. “Oh no! We never finished the recess!”

“And we had a full ledger!” moaned Azure Mist. The two winged mares suddenly took off back towards where the Night Court was being held. This left Celestia, Rarity and Peppermill to watch them fly off.

“You know, those two get along quite well…” Celestia chuckled.

“It does seem that way, doesn’t it?” grinned Rarity. The unicorn turned to the colt. “Perhaps we should try to get together at a different time, to let you and Azure Mist to catch up.”

“Hmm…” The grey colt pondered this, then looked to the Sun Princess with a grin. “Tell me…Your Majesty…what is…your opinion on…breakfast made…by a colt?”

“Is that an offer to cook for me? And your friends?”

“Maybe…”

“You have no idea how long I’ve waited to be offered that. Ever since Twilight Sparkle told me about this ‘Sunrise Special’ you make…”

“Heh…I would…consider it a…honor. As long as…Azure Mist…and assuming she…is willing…Princess Luna…can partake as well.”

“I’m sure they both would consider it an honor.” Peppermill nodded, and then gave a large yawn. This caused some amused chuckling from the goddess and unicorn.

“I think somepony needs his sleep. It has been an…eventful night.” Rarity began to lead the sleepy colt away, when a sudden golden aura lifted him off the grass. Rarity watched as he slowly floated onto the back of the Sun Princess, and noted he was already asleep well before he found himself astride the alicorn.

“I think his soul is soothed. Perhaps now he can go on with his life and live the way those that love him want him to…” murmured Celestia.

“And maybe find more that will love him…” agreed Rarity.