• Published 14th May 2012
  • 1,390 Views, 13 Comments

Aperitif/Digestif - Mr Merritt



A dream sends Peppermill back to Canterlot to fulfil his late parent's wishes

  • ...
1
 13
 1,390

Chapter Six

Rarity and Peppermill sat in a small antechamber just off of what was referred to by the denizens of the Canterlot elite as the Night Court. As the story went, prior to the corruption of Princess Luna into Nightmare Moon, the dark alicorn used the room as a meeting place where commoners could plead their concerns and confront accusations towards them. With Princess Luna presiding, and her word during the dark hours as royal law, it proved to be an effective way for Luna to get back into the proverbial swing of things.

The colt and mare had been told by a servant upon their arrival to the castle just after the evening meal that Princess Luna wished to speak to the two of them privately before court was to begin. This piece of information proved to produce a pair of anxious ponies. Rarity had not had as much of a chance than the rest of her friends to formally meet the Moon Princess, given her unavailability during the last Nightmare Night celebration. It didn’t help the grey colt much that this princess was as untouchable as her elder counterpart, despite being born not that far from the castle.

“So you…have no idea…what to expect…from Princess Luna?” questioned Peppermill as he squirmed before the ornate door leading into the court.

“Sadly I was far too…busy that night to receive a proper introduction. But from what Twilight Sparkle and Applejack have told me she is quite approachable. That is, assuming she has learned when to properly use the Royal Canterlot Voice.” Rarity admitted.

“Like I don`t…have enough on…my plate trying…to decide what…to say to…Azure Mist.” mumbled Peppermill.

“I am sure you will be fine darling.”

“Easy for you…to say. You look as…nervous as me.”

“I most certainly am not nervous!”

“How do you…explain the hole you…put in…the carpet?” The ivory mare looked down frantically at her hooves, only to see no hole or any other damage she might have caused. She gave the colt a dark look, but when she was met with an impish smile, she found herself unable to stop from laughing. Soon, the two ponies where chuckling, the tension draining from their bodies.

“Um, excuse me?” Rarity and Peppermill both looked up at the sound of the uncertain voice. A young Earth mare wearing a necklace with a silver crescent moon, the symbol of the Moon Princess, stood in the now open doorway.

“Oh, we are so terribly sorry. We were just…sharing a private joke.” remarked Rarity.

“I see. Princess Luna is now ready to receive you and Mr. Peppermill.” The mare turned and walked out of the room, leading the unicorn and Earth colt into the large room.

“Mister…Peppermill?” murmured the colt, giving Rarity a lifted eyebrow. “Father used…to hate being called that.”

“I think you should be proud darling. How many colts your age get to be called that?” giggled Rarity. Eventually they found themselves standing before the midnight blue alicorn, the much beloved Princess Luna. She sat upon a carved onyx throne, looking quite regal, yet there was a sense of anxiousness coming off of her.

“The Element of Generosity, it is an honor to meet you at last.” Luna bowed her head to the mare, as Rarity returned the gesture, though much lower.

“It is a great honor to meet you as well, Princess Luna.” she intoned. “May I present to you Peppermill.”

“Your…Majesty…” Peppermill bowed as low as he could. When he lifted himself off of the floor, he found the alicorn smiling down at him.

“You are as charming as my sister told me you would be. When she told me of your desire to see Azure Mist, I was happy to help in any way I could. She is one of the best bailiffs the Night Court has had in a millennium.”

“Thank you…Your Majesty. I am…happy to…hear she has…done such a…good job here.” The colt found himself feeling a bit more confident about the situation after these words. At least until Luna spoke again.

“I must admit, she does not speak very much of her past. I didn’t even know she’d worked for your parents…”

She hasn’t talked…about the past? This thought sobered the colt dramatically, and he began to feel that worm of worry twitching in his stomach again. He spoke carefully, hoping his voice wouldn’t betray his concern. “She hasn’t…mentioned at all…about what happened?”

“No, I am afraid she has not.” Luna seemed to be able to read the uncertainty in the colt’s heart, and she quickly changed the subject. “Do you have ideas on how you wish to proceed with this meeting? I am afraid I am at a lost for ideas…”

“Perhaps it would be best if you went about the business of the Night Court as if nothing was different. We wouldn’t want to interrupt anything important.” said Rarity quickly, picking up on the colt’s distress.

“Agreed. You should be able to watch everything that goes on from the gallery, and decide then what to do.” Rarity nodded, and nudged Peppermill into motion. She led the colt to a small hallway that allowed them full view of the proceedings. Unfortunately it seemed Peppermill was in no shape to observe, for he seemed to grow more and more upset as the minutes ticked by.

“I…I…can’t do this…” whimpered the grey colt.

“Of course you can darling…” began Rarity. But the colt spun around, his whole body shuddering with barely controlled emotion.

“Rarity, Azure Mist…never talked…about her past. The only…reason she wouldn’t…do that is if…she wanted to…forget it. I’m not…going to go…out there and…bring back…bad memories. I’d rather leave…her with something…to look forward to…than bring up something…she doesn’t care about.”

“Peppermill, I’m shocked at you! I simply refuse to believe that this mare would do something like forget something that, from what you have told me, she loved to do. And there is no way I am going to let you walk away from this. I know it is hard, but you need to be strong…” Rarity felt the need to use her telekinetic magic to keep the colt in place, and was glad she did for she could feel Peppermill straining against her magical grip. She was about to attempt to talk more sense into the colt when a fanfare sounded through the room, followed by a strong but feminine voice
.

“Hear ye, hear ye! The Night Court is now in session! All rise for Her Majesty, Princess Luna!”

“Azure Mist…” whispered Peppermill. Rarity removed her aura from the colt, allowing him to creep towards the end of the hall to peek out into the courtroom. She hovered over his shoulders, and followed his gaze towards the source of the announcement.

“Well, I can see why you seem so fond of her. She is quite striking, isn’t she?” The young mare stood tall and proud, her wings spread wide as she continued to direct the proceedings. Her blue-green coat shone and her mane was cut in a serious yet fashionable short style. Emerald green eyes scanned the various ponies awaiting the decision from the Moon Princess.

“I always liked…her mane…that way.” commented Peppermill softly.

“Very professional…” agreed Rarity. Colt and mare continued to watch and listen as various Canterlot citizens approached the dark alicorn with their requests and concerns. While Rarity found herself making mental notes of some interesting gossip, Peppermill was totally focused on the Pegasus mare that he was enamoured with.

Right until Azure Mist just happened to glance directly at the hallway where he stood…

With a tiny yelp Peppermill tossed himself backwards, bumping into Rarity. This caused the white unicorn to stifle a yelp of her own, as she staggered back in alarm. The two ponies froze as they heard Princess Luna suddenly speak out.

“Is there something wrong, bailiff?”

“It’s…it’s nothing Princess. I thought I…saw somepony…”

“Perhaps we should take a recess. I have something I wish to discuss with you.”

“As you command…” As the petitioners began to file out of the room, Rarity stepped over the prone colt and peered with a sapphire-blue eye as Azure Mist stood before Luna. She glanced back at Peppermill, who seemed to be unable to get onto his hooves.

“Tell me bailiff, do you find your duties to your liking?” Despite the rather…peculiar line of questioning from the dark alicorn, Azure Mist did not flinch nor question it.

“I find this job to my liking, Your Majesty.”

“I simply ask because I was doing some performance reviews and I noticed that you did not list anything in regards to your previous employment. Does that mean your tenure here is your first job?”

“My first job?” echoed Azure, biting her lip. Even from a distance, Rarity could sense the unease tensing the mare’s wings. She clearly did not like the question being asked by her patron.

“Surely you must have done something before coming here. Your skills in handling the gallery are impressive…” Luna was trying to coax an answer from Azure, and Azure was becoming more and more pensive.
“I…did have a job before this. But…”

“But?”

“It really wasn’t anything special. It’s…not worth mentioning.”

”WHAT!?” Rarity made a valiant attempt to grab Peppermill as he raced by her, a grey blur of motion. But she came up short, almost doing a face plant onto the stone floor. Meanwhile, at the sound of the indignant exclamation, Azure Mist threw herself in between Luna and the approaching colt with wings spread wide in a protective gesture. Peppermill came to a screeching halt before the Pegasus, his eyes blazing in anger and tears tricking down his face.

“Not…worth…mentioning?! How can…you say that? You told me…you loved working at…the restaurant. You said…my parents were…some of the…nicest ponies…you ever knew! I…I thought…”

“Gah!!” Azure Mist gave a bellow of shock and shot straight up into the air, her wings flapping madly. She pointed down at the colt with a trembling hoof, her eyes wide and head shaking frantically.

“Peppermill!” Rarity exclaimed, racing into the room and trying to console the irate colt.

“No! No, you…you can’t be real! He said…he said you were…were…”

”ENOUGH!!!” Peppermill and Rarity flattened themselves onto the floor in shock as the Royal Canterlot Voice reverberated through the room. Meanwhile, the stunned Azure Mist managed to land on her hooves with a dazed expression on her face. She looked down at the prone colt, a soft keening noise coming from her throat.

“You…you can’t be alive. He said…he said you died in the fire…and…and…”

“Listen to me Azure Mist.” Rarity had managed to get back onto her hooves, and grasped the Pegasus’ face between her forehooves and held her gaze. “Whatever he, and I assume you must mean Saltpeter, told you is a lie! This is Peppermill, alive and well. Please, trust me when I tell you this.”

“She is correct Azure Mist.” remarked Luna. The Princess of the Night had left her throne and stood beside her bailiff. “This colt managed to escape the destruction of the restaurant, the vile intentions of his brother and ended up in the care of the Element of Honesty and her family.”

“R-really?” Azure Mist trembled in the grip of the unicorn. She was clearly struggling with her emotions, and was still unsure of what was the truth.

It was because of the focus on her that nopony noticed Peppermill stand up and race out of the room…