• Published 14th May 2012
  • 1,390 Views, 13 Comments

Aperitif/Digestif - Mr Merritt



A dream sends Peppermill back to Canterlot to fulfil his late parent's wishes

  • ...
1
 13
 1,390

Chapter One

Oh…this dream…again…

The restaurant is busy tonight. Pretty much every table is full. The fact that the guests are all faceless, mere silhouettes of ponies no longer bothers him. He’s seen it so often lately that he’s accepted it as normal.

He makes his way among the tables, gliding silently among the white noise of utensils and compliments. It was hard, if not impossible, not to feel that surge of pride at what his family had accomplished yet again. More well-fed and content ponies.

He reaches the back of the building where one specific table sits. Like a lighthouse on the sea, he is drawn to it as a source of comfort. It was there that the two most important ponies in his young life sat, waiting for him.

One was a pretty Earth mare with a coat the color of cream. Her mane was a light violet, cut in a coif fitting of a citizen of Canterlot and eyes like a pair of onyx gems that sparkled with love upon gazing on her visitor. The other was a tall, strong stallion with a coat grey as slate and a mane black as night. Tiny wrinkles crinkled at the corners of his hazel eyes as their guest took his seat at the table.

“Everything is in order then?” rumbled the stallion in a baritone that could’ve been heard clear across the room, should he have chosen to do so. The guest simply nods. The mare cranes her elegant neck and nuzzles him on the cheek.

“I’m surprised they didn’t spill all over themselves watching my favourite little chef make his rounds.” The guest looks away, squirming in his seat. She always says things like that, and he always feels a mix of embarrassment and pride at the implication.

“You know he wouldn’t do that. It’s about making them happy, not their drycleaners.” The stallion gives the guest a meaningful look, but the guest can see the amusement in the male’s eyes.

“Yes dearest. You treat the diners like extended family…”

“As I do my employees. Do not ever forget that: we would not be here if it were not for their faith and hard work.”

“Don’t forget…”



“Don’t…”



“…forget…”



***
Those words continued to echo in the young colt’s mind and ache in his heart all morning. This made it three times in the last week that he had woken up to these words, and he was beginning to get annoyed. Not because of the dreams themselves, or even the message it presented with the subtlety of six alarm chili, but for the glaring omission of one crucial concept: how?

It was quite clear to Peppermill that he had a duty to fulfill, one that could be considered a final request from his late parents. He knew deep in his heart that he would not have peace before he knew that his ‘other’ family, the family of the restaurant, was taken care of. And as if Peppermill didn’t need any more motivation, he needed to develop that sense of closure as far as the physical building was concerned.

Oh yes, he knew what to do, but Celesita help him if he could figure out how to pull it off.

It wasn’t as if he could just pack his meagre belongings and head out in the general direction of Equestria’s capital. The fact that the last time he had made that trip on hoof was when he was under severe duress, and even then he was not sure how he had managed it. And no amount of maturity he possessed was going to let him go without an escort. He could just imagine how badly Applejack would react if he brought up the idea of going away from Ponyville all by his lonesome. No, if he was to go to Canterlot he would have to find somepony willing to accompany him.

He could simply go to Applejack and ask for help. She was as close to a surrogate mother as Peppermill had, after all. But the orange mare was notoriously protective of the colt, and tended to be far more strict with him that she was with her own bloodline. It tended to send mixed messages to the grey colt, and he knew that he needed a clear head to deal with what could be an emotional rollercoaster. He certainly couldn’t go up to some random pony and ask them if they could take him to Canterlot neither. No, he was going to have to be clever in his approach, and particular in his target. With that in mind he set his sights on Sweetie Belle, one of his closest friends.

One would have questioned the colt’s decision to ask such a difficult question of the white unicorn filly. She was not, after all, considered the most clever of ponies. It was true she did tend to be a little…slower to understand things then the rest of her friends but Peppermill had found that the filly also tended to be far more sensible than the others. Whereas Applebloom or Scootaloo would charge headlong into a problem, Sweetie much preferred to ponder and look at all the possibilities. And right now the grey colt knew trying to butt heads with Applejack would get him nowhere. Perhaps a different point of view to his situation was what was needed.

He reached Carousel Boutique, fashion central to Ponyville and home to both Sweetie Belle and her elder sister Rarity. Nosing his way into the building, he found the Element of Generosity walking in from a side room transporting bolts of cloth onto a nearby table.

“One moment darling…” she sang out as she levitated the cloth from the table to their shelves.

“Is it…polite to…make a…gentle colt caller…wait?” rasped Peppermill, not making any attempt to hide the amusement in his voice. He was rewarded with laughter like a bubbling stream, a sound many stallions (and at least one baby dragon among his acquaintances) would of loved to be on the receiving end of. This was the standard exchange the glamorous mare and budding chef took part in, and amazingly the colt felt comfortable with it. It brought to mind nights of mingling and being shown off by his parents to the elite of Canterlot society. He suspected this was why he seemed to bond better with Rarity that any of his other older friends.

“I don’t know darling, do you keep Applebloom or Silver Spoon waiting?” teased the white mare, her blue eyes twinkling as she glanced over her shoulder at the colt. Peppermill winced, silently cursing the tendency for small town gossip to spread faster than anything Canterlot could come up with. He didn’t know why it was such a big deal, or why some mares found the whole thing so…entertaining. It was enough of an annoyance that it helped move along his train of thought and push towards the purpose of his visit.

“Is…Sweetie Belle…around today?” asked Peppermill.

“I’m sorry darling, but I’m afraid she isn’t even in Ponyville right now.” explained Rarity. She explained further when she saw the disappointed look on the colt’s face. “She has gone to stay with our parents for a few days, while I am on my trip.”

“You’re…going on a…trip?”

“Purely business. I try to go to Canterlot a few times a year to strengthen some of my business connections. Plus this time of year is when they have all sorts of fashion shows I simply must attend. One must keep up with the trends, after all…” In truth, Peppermill had zoned out during the majority of Rarity’s airy explanation. His brain had locked onto one simple statement: Rarity was going to Canterlot.

Peppermill might not of believed in things like karma, but he recognized a perfect set-up when presented to him.

“So…how long…will you be…away?” he asked, his face a mask of curiosity but his mind whirling with ideas.

“Well, while I’d love to stay longer I can only afford a two week trip. Oh, I do hope that I can stay in that lovely suite near the castle like the last time I went. It certainly helps to have friends in high places.” tittered the mare.

Two weeks… Peppermill realized that things were falling into place quickly. Fortunately Rarity saved him the trouble of asking his next important question as she sauntered away, lost in the thoughts of her trip.

“I was just getting things ready for the end of the week. After all, one of the first fashion expos I want to attend starts first thing Monday and I simply must be there.”

Oh bother… That tidbit was going to make things tricky, as far as the colt was concerned. That gave him no less than three days to make preparations. He was so lost in thought that he missed Rarity asking him a question. It was only when she cleared her throat that the colt blinked and looked at the mare.

“Pardon?” he asked weakly.

“I asked,” repeated the mare, “why did you want to see Sweetie Belle. Is everything alright?”

“Erm…” Peppermill was at a loss for words, his mind debating on what the best course of action would be. As much as he knew he’d have to dance around the Applejack issue, having to convince Rarity of his intent could be just as tricky. His mouth forming a firm line, he spoke.

“Rarity…I would like…to ask…a large favour…of you.”

“Oh? And what would that be darling?”

“Um…” Once again the colt found himself tongue-tied, though this time due to the rather…intense stare he was receiving from the glamorous unicorn. It was almost as if she was expecting something from him…

“How would…you feel…about having…a guest join you…for your trip?”

“A guest? Why, whatever do you mean darling?” Rarity continued to stare at the colt, which unnerved him. If he didn’t know any better, he would have guessed her to be…anxious?

“I…I…I think it’s time…for me to…tie up loose ends. I need…to see what…is left of…my old home. I need…to make sure…that all of…the employees are…ok. I owe it…to my parents. I…need to do this…” Peppermill’s words came out in an uncharacteristic rush, his heart shoving the words out before his mind could properly process them. When he finished, he found his ears drooping in disappointment with himself.

“Well…” murmured Rarity, her expression a mix of surprise and slight amusement. “You seem to have been thinking about this for a while, hmm?”

“Yes.” sighed the colt. He was convinced his apparent desperation would prevent her from taking him seriously. He was about to apologize for taking up her time when another voice sounded from the room Rarity had came from when he first arrived.

“Ah suppose that explains why you’ve been so distracted lately…” The soft twang brought a jab of regret into Peppermill’s heart as a familiar orange Earth mare with a Stetson hat and blond mane walked into the room.

“Applejack…” sighed the colt. Images of his carefully, if hastily, laid plans crumbing in his hooves. Despite being focused on his surrogate mother/sister and her unreadable expression, he missed the meaningful looks her and Rarity shared.

“Me an’ Big Mac thought this was a case of you wantin’ to sow yer wild oats. But ah reckon it’s more like you wantin’ to make things right…”

“You even…mentioned you…were going to…Rarity’s…at breakfast…” muttered Peppermill, growing more and more despondent.

“Dang it Peppermill, will ya jes relax! You look like Winona after ah catch her rollin’ in something Rarity would have a fit jes thinkin’ about.” Applejack looked hurt having to raise her voice, but it hurt her more to see the colt look so…defeated. “Ah got something to say to you.”

“Yes Applejack?” sighed Peppermill,

“If’in you really feel you need to go to Canterlot, Ah'll let you…on one condition.” The grey colt’s head snapped up, shocked at what he had just heard. Did Applejack just…agree to let…me go?

“You hafta promise that you ain’t gonna do whatever it is you hafta do on yer own. Ah know Rarity has plans, but I expect you to keep her in the loop. As far as you are concerned she is me, understand?”

“I assure you Applejack,” spoke up the unicorn in question, “I will watch Peppermill as if he was my own family.”

“I’d rather…you didn’t.” remarked the colt. “I know…how short of…a leash you…sometimes keep…Sweetie on.” This matter-of-fact statement caused Applejack to toss her head back in a laugh and Rarity to give him a hurt look. But Peppermill didn’t have time to preen over his quip…

…he had a duty to fulfill.