• Published 21st Apr 2015
  • 416 Views, 47 Comments

TEK: The Beginning - Jet Fly



This is the story of T.E.K. (Taskforce of Equestrian Knowledge)

  • ...
2
 47
 416

Flashback Bonus: The Journey to Nowhere (Part 2)

Author's Note:

Sorry again with the lateness! I was a bit preoccupied today, what with helping out around the house a bit... and the fact that I just got Super Smash Bros. Brawl today and lost track of time playing it... But what can I say, Smash is love, Smash is life.


...I'll see myself out. Enjoy the bonus chapter everybody.

So far Shade's week had been more calm than the first day he began his journey. Zecora, the zebra he'd been staying with for the time being, had been quite hospitable. She had insisted that he take time here to rest and better prepare himself before wandering any further into the Everfree. Now Shade knew what to expect, and how to handle whatever would happen next. Now, he felt, he was ready.

"Are you sure you want to get leaving? Continuing your journey will not be easy."

Shade looked at Zecora with determination. He knew he had to continue, and he wasn't going to turn back no matter what lay ahead of him.

"Yes. I have to go, and find out what I'm supposed to be. Somewhere out there is where I will find the answers I've been searching for. It may be in the next town ahead, or in another. Heck, it could be in this very forest. All I know is that this is my best shot at discovering my destiny."

Zecora nodded at his philosophical words with a smile. Shade had clearly made up his mind. Maybe he really was ready after all.

"If that is what you wish to do, then there is no-pony stopping you. After you step out that door, I hope you find what you're looking for."

Shade gathered all of his belongings before heading to the door. Thankfully, he had remembered to grab his saddle bag when he left the cave on that first night.

"Thank you for everything, Zecora. I appreciate all you've done."

"The pleasure was indeed all mine. Perhaps we will meet again sometime."

Heading out the door, Shade turned back and smiled.

"Maybe we will."

And so, Shade resumed his journey, confident and ready to face the path that lay ahead.



Or so he thought.

_________________
One month later
_________________

Shade completely regretted not taking the train out of Ponyville instead. This forest was a living nightmare. All that time he spent preparing became nearly useless. Everything kept getting worse every day it seemed, and this day was no exception.

Now he had lost his map and a majority of his bits, having only a portion left inside his cloak pocket, somewhere around 25 or 30. He had to ditch the saddle bag that held the rest, since it was only slowing him down, and he had previously been chased by drakes trying to indulge their greed. So, Shade had to focus more on getting out alive than his "destiny," which was starting to lose meaning to him.

Currently, Shade was moving as swift and silently as he could through the Everfree. The sun was beginning to set, and Shade didn't have time to marvel at the otherwise beautiful orange sky. The more Shade wandered through the forest, the treacherous the area grew. He'd stumbled upon more packs of Timber Wolves, a few drakes on the hunt, and other vicious creatures. And it was even worse at night, and shelter was getting harder to find. Shade stopped only to rest shortly when the area was safe and to occasionally eat whatever safe plants or fruit he could find. Dodging through trees and bushes, Shade reached a clearing, littered only with a few rocks scattered across the ground.

*No. Too open. Gotta stay hidden.*

Before he could turn back into the safety of the trees, however, Shade heard a twig snap. He froze and listened carefully around him, not making a sound. Shade hoped whatever was out there couldn't here his heartbeat, because it was pounding in his chest at lightning speed.

*Really wish I could just teleport out of here...*

Constantly searching his surroundings, Shade saw nothing for what felt like another five minutes or so. Then he saw the glowing green eyes in the bushes a short distance away.

*There you are, you sneaky little runt.*

The Timber Wolf jumped out of the bush, standing roughly three meters away from Shade. He had just about enough of the wooden hounds, and was starting to resent them more than fear them.

The Timber Wolf slowly crawled its way closer to its prey, trying to intimate it and play it into its claws. But Shade wasn't going to be intimidated by the walking log any longer. He stared it down with almost the same cold eyes, completely defying it. The Timber Wolf increased its pace as it moved in closer on its target. Shade did something more unexpected. He stood up on his hind legs, horn glowing a bright blue, and eyes still staring daggers into the Timber Wolf. As it leaped into the air, Shade harnessed all of his energy before yelling at it.

"LEAVE. ME. ALONE!"

Then he released a telekinetic wave that flung the Timber Wolf backwards, yelping as it was sent away. Panting, Shade dropped back to the ground, worn out from the expense of energy. He got back up after regaining his breath and strength, heading back into the denser parts of the forest. He needed to move and find shelter before something else found him.
______________

Shade was starting to panic. He'd been moving for what felt like hours, it was nightfall, and he still couldn't find shelter. The area he was in seemed to be pretty cave-free, much to his dismay. He'd already attracted too much unwanted attention, and had to make a quick escape through a patch of thorny bushes that left his legs scratched and sore. His cloak was tattered and torn in some areas, but it still held the bits he had left.


Shade looked behind him constantly as he ran to ensure he wasn't being followed, and thankfully he wasn't. What he did find when he looked in front of him, however, filled his heart with hope.

*Finally! A cave!*

Shade had never been so happy to see arched rocked before, and he darted right in. Once inside, Shade dropped to the ground as he caught his breath. It was quite dark inside, and there was no sunlight to reveal to him what lurked in the shadows. Nothing to give him any warning before Shade heard a deep growling sound.

Immediately startled, Shade stood up and slowly turned his head to look into the darkness, afraid to use his light magic to reveal whatever horrible creature he stumbled upon. Shortly after, Shade's eyes were filled with fear as he was met by cold, piercing cyan eyes, a toothy and vicious smile, and the pale-lavender scales of a large, purple-spined dragon.