• Published 19th Apr 2015
  • 1,013 Views, 27 Comments

Harmony Undone: Consequence of Choice - Zodiacspear



The choices we make shows a lot about us. How we handle the consequences of those choices defines who we are.

  • ...
5
 27
 1,013

Chapter Twelve

The forest had taken on a reddish glow as the sun began to set, and the four found themselves in a portion of the forest where the trees were larger and thicker. A quiet calm had settled over the forest, to where the usual sounds of forest animals and birds were nearly absent—the sound of trees groaning was the only thing to break the silence. When the wind blew, the shivers that went up their spines had little to do with the chill.

Faith stopped and held up a hoof. Her ears flicking as her gaze swept about the foggy forest, her tail twitching.

“What is it?” Trixie asked, her eyes darting to the trees that appeared far more ominous than before.

“We are close,” the doe said, “My grandfather told me of this place. We must tread carefully, for the guardian is most fierce.”

Trixie gulped, her ears pinning back. “W-Will he attack us?”

Faith smiled a reassuring smile. “As long as you are with me, you should be fine.”

Wanderer gave her an odd look, a bead of sweat rolling down his face as a twig snapped in the distance. “Should?”

A sheepish smile crossed the doe’s face as she looked off into the distance. “I do not think the guardian has seen ponies before.”

Tourmaline’s ears flattened. “Swell.”

Faithful started walking again, the sounds of her hoofsteps seemed louder in the fog. “Come, friends, we will arrive soon.”

The three followed her wake, keeping so close as to stumble over her fetlocks. Their eyes darting at any movement; their ears flicking toward any sound. Unknowingly, the ponies started crowding closer together.

Wanderer felt Tourmaline shiver next to him and he gave her a reassuring smile. “It’s all right, Tourmaline. We’ve been to worse places than this before, remember Horseshoe Bay with the rumors of a ghost ship?”

She shot him a glance. “It’s not that, Wanderer. Don’t you feel it?” She held out a hoof. “The air’s gotten colder.”

Only after she had mentioned it that he felt the chill in the air. A coldness that was out of place for the late summer’s humidity.

A shudder ran down his spine. “What in Equestria is causing that?”

“It doesn’t feel like a natural cold to Trixie,” she said while rubbing at her forelegs.

“That is because it is not,” Faith said as she lead them through the uneven terrain. “My grandfather said it is the power of the key that brings the chill.”

Tourmaline trotted to catch up. “What is this key? What does it look like?”

A frown crossed the doe’s face. “Grandfather told me it will be a stone of onyx with engravings upon it—and to be careful when handling it.”

Tourmaline shared a quick look with Wanderer. “We learned about touching things without learning something about them first a long time ago.”

He frowned and averted his gaze. “Yeah…”

Lifting his head back up, he found Trixie staring at him with a slight tilt of her head. He averted his gaze again before he sighed. “I’ll tell you when we get back to Maederhallow.”

She nodded, seeming to accept that. “Trixie would like to hear it.”

Another sigh escaped him and the two caught back up with their guide. They walked on for a bit more before Faith stopped again, her gaze darting about.

“Now what? Trixie is not liking these frequent stops.” Trixie asked as she righted her cap.

Faith turned to regard them, a frown on her face. “We should have arrived, but… I do not see the entrance or the guardian.” Her frown deepened as she looked around. “I am troubled.”

Wanderer looked around for a moment, a soft frown on his face before nodding. “Then we’ll look around in pairs. Keep an eye open for anything out of the ordinary, and within shouting distance of each other. If you see anything, let us know and we’ll look together.”

The three returned nods before Faith spoke, “I would like Trixie to walk with me. With our magics, maybe we can find the entrance easier.”

“Right.” He looked at Tourmaline. “Want to team up?”

She rolled her eyes. “You don’t have to ask, Wanderer. Come on, the sooner we find it, the sooner we can go home.” She gave a flap of her wings and flew above them.

As the four split apart, Wanderer found his focus distracted as he searched. He stole numerous glances at the pegasus as she flew above him. A part of him wanted to let it go and let things work out between them, but the far larger part wanted it over now. The thoughts that had plagued him that night at the campfire hadn’t ceased—refusing to still. The bad blood that had built between them still left him with a sickening feeling in his gut.

When he caught her looking at him, he knew it was time.

“Tourmaline… can we please talk?”

Her ears pinned back. “Wanderer, do you really think now is the time?”

He looked up at her. “This might be the only time to ourselves that we can talk.” His own ears laid back against his skull. “Please?”

With a soft sigh, she landed in front of him and sat on her haunches. “All right… let’s talk.”

The leaves crunched as he sat down as well. “Tourmaline, I don’t know what I’ve done to upset you, but can we please just put it behind us? I really, really don’t like…” he sighed and looked away, grumbling at himself.

She tilted her head at him. “Don’t like what?”

“I don’t like fighting with you,” he said, turning his gaze back to her. “I hate it.”

Her violet irises started into him before she sighed, slumping her shoulders. “It’s not only you, Wanderer. It’s… a lot of things.”

“Tormod?”

Her ear flicked as she nodded. “Yes. And…” She looked away, a frown growing across her face.

“What is it, Tourmaline? Please tell me.” He scooted closer to her. “I can’t fix something if I don’t know what to fix.”

Her shoulders rose and fell in a huff. “It’s me.”

He felt the surprise as easily as she recognized it on his face. “You? What have you done? I mean, other than the just being angry all the time, but you’ve had good reason to be angry.” He placed a hoof on her shoulder. “I don’t blame you at all.”

Averting her gaze, she said, “It’s just…”

His eyes traced past her. “What’s that?”

She looked back at him. “I’m jeal—”

“No, what’s that?” He pointed behind her. Getting to his hooves, he rushed to peer at a large tree at the base of a sizable hill. He squinted as he looked around, trying to see again what he saw.

“What did you see?” she asked in a whisper.

“I thought I saw something.” He reached out to the tree but recoiled as it started to shake.

With yelps of surprise, the two scrambled away as the tree lifted itself from the ground only to slam right back. Their eyes widened as three more trees began to move and they sucked in a breath as the largest tree guardian they had ever seen emerged from its resting place. They would have thought it a twin of the one they knew if not for the massive size of this creature. The only difference was that its ‘beard’ was a stark grey rather than the vibrant green.

A deep groan of wood sounded as the creature glared down at them with its sap-yellow eyes.

“F-Faith!” the two ponies yelled in unison, their legs trembling. They gave simultaneous squeaks as the tree guardian lifted and smashed one of its legs at them. Only fast reflexes kept them from becoming pony sized puddles of grease on the forest floor.

“Faith!” they screamed as they tried to scramble away from the onslaught.

“Qitl, Nouzleuw! Cqaba uza mzeawlb!” they heard Faithful Watcher yell before she and Trixie arrived—the latter of whom stopped dead in her tracks once she caught sight of the mighty guardian.

The tree creature turned its gaze to her and the sound of groaning wood seemed to echo with near ear-piercing intensity.

“Ptauba, Nouzleuw, qaal va! Cqai uza czoti kqetzaw im cqa mizabc!” The doe lowered her head, kneeling before the creature. “Cqai quda jaaw vuzsal ji uwicqaz. Li iio wic maat ec?”

It turned its gaze back to the ponies and its beard bristled, the leaves of which rustled and shivered.

“What is it doing?” Trixie asked as she slunk low to the ground.

“Please, friends, make no sudden movements,” Faith said as she kept her head bowed.

The three held stock still as the creature looked over them, its gaze glaring into them like hot irons. As much his instincts screamed at him to flee, Wanderer held still as stone. Finally, the guardian’s beard ceased its quivering and it stood straighter.

Faith let out a sigh and looked up at it. “Cquws iio, Nouzleuw. Fa uza vibe cquwsmot.” She turned to regard the ponies as they desperately awaited some answers. “The Guardian wishes you all welcome and apologizes for attacking you.”

The two adventurers looked up at the creature as it crossed its massive arms. “Yeah… don’t mention it…” Wanderer said with a waiver of a voice.

Faith turned to the guardian again, speaking to it in her native language.

“You can understand it?” Tourmaline asked.

“Can you not?” Faith asked, turning back at them. “I thought you had spoken with another guardian.”

“We did, but through Wanderer.”

Faith turned her curious gaze to him.

“I had to put my hoof on a tree to talk to it. The others were able to hear it by touching me.”

Her eyes widened. “How amazing—” She turned back at the guardian, her ears erect a moment before her eyes widened again.

“What?” the ponies asked in unison.

She turned back at them, her brow creased. “The guardian bids us to hurry and take the key from here. He says he feels the rot of the Spirit of Disease beginning to spread further and that it will soon come to this place.”

Wanderer tugged his hat lower on his head. “All right. Where is the key then?”

After Faith relayed the question, the guardian turned and slammed a fist into the turf of a nearby hill. Its root-like appendages burrowing into the hill until the opening of a tunnel was exposed. The smell of stagnant air washed over them as the tunnel was exposed for the first time in centuries.

The ponies covered their noses at the onslaught of stale air. “Sweet Celestia, that’s foul,” Trixie uttered while fanning the air in front of her face.

The guardian removed its arm from the hill and groaned once more.

Faith dipped her head again as it moved away from the tunnel. “He will stand guard while we obtain the key.” She stepped for the tunnel, the nubs atop her head taking a soft white glow. “Come, we must go.”

The two adventurers followed the deer inside while Trixie hesitated a moment—glancing at the imposing guardian—before running after them.

As she rejoined them, Wanderer looked around the tunnel. It seemed more of a natural burrow than a cut cavern. Roots and slate deposits stuck out of the walls and ceiling, and old cobwebs hung down like thick cloaks. For a place that supposedly held a magical artifact, he certainly didn’t expect it to be in a place like this. Where were all the deadly traps? The giant boulder to roll down the tunnel to chase them out? It almost seemed anticlimactic.

Absorbed in his thoughts, he didn’t react in time to keep from walking face first into a large spider web. He sputtered and spit until he wiped his face of the sticky webbing.

“Are you well, Wanderer?” Faith asked.

He grumbled under his breath. “Yeah, I’m fine. Just wasn’t paying attention.” He then looked at the three as they stared at him. “What? Did I miss something?”

“You got something there.” Trixie pointed at her cap.

Wanderer’s eyes crossed as something lowered itself into his vision—the multiple eyes of a star spider glaring right back at him.

The stallion gave a strangled cry and slumped to his haunches—staring at the arachnid with something akin to horror.

“Get it… off me,” he said through gritted teeth, still watching the spider and trying to keep from shaking, even as sweat started to roll down his face.

“It is only a spider, Wanderer,” Tourmaline said as an amused smile crossed her face. “And a star spider at that.”

“I don’t care. Getitoffofme!” The words came out in a blur as the spider settled on his muzzle.

Tourmaline snorted a laugh as she carefully removed the spider and set it on a tree root. The moment the spider was gone, Wanderer let loose the breath he held. “I hate hate hate hate hate spiders.” He shuddered as he stole a glance at the arachnid as it shook an outraged leg at him.

“With all the monsters you have told Trixie you have faced, a simple spider scares the living daylights out of you?”

“He’s been like that since I’ve known him.” Tourmaline gave him an impish smile. “I still remember putting that fake spider in his lunch bag once.”

He glowered at her, swishing his tail. “I still haven’t forgiven you for that.”

Again, she snorted at him while the others laughed. A hopeful smile tugged at his lips as she smiled some. Despite coming eye to eyes with the one bug he hated most, maybe something good came of it.

As they walked further in, they came to another point where they had to stop. No terrifying spiders this time, but they found that the corridor had been blocked off by thick tree roots. Try as he might, he couldn’t push past the stubborn growths.

“Trixie, do you think you could blast through them?” he asked after brushing his hooves off.

She turned a look at the roots before turning her nose up. “The Great and Powerful Trixie is positive she can.”

Before she could charge her magic, Faith stepped in front of her. “Wait!”

“What’s wrong?”

She looked at Tourmaline. “We shouldn’t harm the trees unless it is necessary. It is considered disrespectful to harm the forest without need among my people.”

The pegasus looked at the tree roots then back. “No offense, but we don’t have much choice. If we want the key, we have to get through.”

The doe stamped a hoof. “I know this. Yet still, I would rather we not harm the trees.”

“Then how do you propose we get through then?” Tourmaline asked with a brief annoyed frown.

Faith turned her gaze to Wanderer. “Why do you not use your earth-tamer magic to ask the roots to move?”

All three ponies stared at her in stunned silence. “...Say what?” Wanderer asked.

A frown crossed Faith’s muzzle as he gaze darted between them. “It has been said in my clan that the earth-tamers have the strongest connection to the natural world. There are many tales of earth-tamers who were able to make trees grow tall in a matter of days or cause fields of flowers to bloom at their call. Surely you can ask the roots to move?”

The stunned gazes didn’t let up in the slightest. “Faith, I don’t know what you’ve been told, but I can’t do anything like that. No earth pony can. Yes, we can ask plants to grow or make them bloom, but asking them to move for us?” Wanderer shook his head. “That’s impossible.”

“What do you mean? The legends say the earth-tamers were capable of many amazing feats with their magic. Can you not still make plants grow faster than they could on their own?”

He nodded. “We can. I’ve only done it a few times, but what you’re asking would take a whole herd of earth ponies. Even then, I’m not sure we could.”

Faith gave him a doeful look. “Can you at least try, Wanderer? I do not wish to harm the tree. I will try to help you if you will.”

Tourmaline furrowed her brow before looking at the doe. “Wait. Can the deer use earth pony magic too?”

She shook her head. “Not to the ability of an earth-tamer. Just like our magic is not as strong as an aura-weaver, but we can do some.” Faith turned her gaze back to Wanderer. “With my help, and your magic, maybe we can succeed.”

He looked at the roots with a frown, but one look at her puppy dog eyes, he sighed. “Won’t know unless I try.”

Her smile was instant. “Joyous day! I had wished to see an earth-tamer’s magic, and now I get to help!”

Wanderer gave the other two a dubious look but walked towards the roots. Both he and Faith settled their hooves into the ground as Trixie and Tourmaline watched.

He closed his eyes and focused upon that inner spark of his being—the place where his inborn magic dwelled. Focusing upon it, he shifted his awareness into the ground under his hooves.

‘Uhh… tree?’ he mentally asked as he felt his connection to the tree through the earth.

He received no answer in turn.

Concentrating his magic, he tried again. ‘Can you please move your roots for us?’

Again, silence.

He opened his eyes and looked at Faith. “I don’t think it is going to work.”

She bit at her lip. “Let us work together then. Feel for me, and together, we can ask the tree to move.”

A soft frown pulled at the corner of his mouth. Feel for her? What was she talking about? Always before when he used his magic, there was only he and the plant he was trying to encourage. Working with plants was not his strong suit. Yes, he could get plants to grow, but his skill paled in comparison to Applejack or even Ol’ Nut.

“Faith, I don’t—”

She gave him a pleading look. “Please, Wanderer, just try. Make your connection again, and I will find you.”

Sighing, he did as told. Once he made his connection with the tree again, he felt it. A soft, if not weak, presence. Even without seeing who, he knew it was Faith. Never before had he felt another’s connection through the earth. It was different… like the faintest tickling in the back of his mind.

‘Now, let us ask.’

Once again, he focused upon the tree, and together, they implored the tree to move its roots.

They never budged.

‘I’m sorry, Faith. I’m not able to do it.’

He felt her disappointment and the tickling in his mind faded. He remained a moment more, the feeling of her connection made him aware of… something. Her connection to his made it to where he could feel that there was more than he and the plant. Like a memory that remained just out of recollection.

When he opened his eyes, he saw his friends looking at him.

He shook his head. “I can’t do it. We’ll have to cut through.” He gave the doe a look. “I’m sorry, Faith. I tried.”

She nodded, a forlorn look in her brown eyes. “That is what matters.”

As Trixie blasted at the roots, his mind drifted back to that of the connection he had felt. It seemed like he had scraped the surface of something massive, but its secret still remained out of his understanding.

-0-

Wanderer knew they had made it when the dirt tunnel dropped down to a stone corridor. The chill they had felt earlier was strong enough now to make his teeth chatter.He could feel Tourmaline shiver next to him. “Sweet Celestia, it’s cold.” She rubbed at her shoulders. “Tell me we are at least close.”

Faith nodded. “We are. Grandfather said once we found the stone hall, the key will be ahead.” Her ears perked up and she looked around through the dark opening. “This stillness, I do not like it.”

Wanderer’s ears stood straight and swiveled around to listen. It was true, there wasn't any sound other than the ones they made. It was like the corridor itself was holding its breath, waiting for something.

His face scrunched up in a wry smirk. “Why can’t any of these ancient artifacts ever have a warm welcome for visitors? Throw us a party or give us cake for once. Just to be different.”

Tourmaline’s smirk matched his. “A Pinkie Pie party would be a lot better than this.”

Faith looked between them. “Pinkie Pie party? What is that?”

They gave her amused grins. “A friend of ours. She’d love to meet you and just about everypony.”

“Not everypony…”

They turned to find Trixie looking away, an ashamed look on her face.

Wanderer rubbed at the back of his head. “Sorry, Trixie.”

She shrugged. “Trixie just wants to find the key and leave. She doesn’t like it here in the least.”

After a rope was secured to a root, the four climbed down to the stone hallway—their hooves echoing in the silence. As they walked, Wanderer couldn’t help but reminded of the hallway he and his friends had walked down when they found Tyranny’s scepter. He remembered that day with a frown. Because of his brashness, he had released a sealed spirit that sought to dominate Equestria—using his own body as a puppet to do it! He had made a horrible mistake that day, and he swore it would never happen again.

He looked at his companions. While Tourmaline and Faithful kept a wary eye out for danger, he saw that Trixie seemed distracted. A distant look in her eyes as she followed behind Faith.

Nudging her, he asked, “Hey, you all right?”

She blinked and turned to look at him. “Trixie is fine.”

A reproachful frown crossed his face. “I know you’re an actor and all, but even I could tell that was fake. Come on, what’s bothering you?”

Violet irises were half lidded as she looked away. “...Trixie is just scared.”

“I can understand.” He glanced around the gloomy hallway. “This place gives me the creeps.”

A sigh escaped her. “It’s not that, not entirely that…”

He tilted his head as he regarded her. “What is it then?”

“Trixie is just…” she took in a breath and muttered something.

His ears flicked. “Didn’t catch that.”

She snapped an annoyed glare at him. “Trixie said she is afraid she’ll mess up again.” Lowering her gaze, she quietly uttered, “Like she did with Tormod.”

Wanderer glanced at Tourmaline as she bristled—who was trying, and failing, to appear as if she wasn’t listening to their conversation. He gave his own sigh before speaking, “Trixie, listen. If you spend too much time dwelling on the things you’ve done, you’ll never get things you need to get done, done. Try not to think about it right now.”

She turned a curious eye at him. “Where did you hear that saying from?”

“From my mom,” he said with aplomb. “I swear she has a whole book of cheesy sayings like that one.” His smile faded somewhat. “The point still stands. We need to focus on the here and now and not what’s happened already.”

A pensive frown crossed her face before she huffed. “If only all of Equestria saw it like you do.”

“It’s a good thing you’re thinking about it. It shows that you do care,” he said pointedly, though not at her.

Tourmaline snorted, her tail swishing.

“But don’t worry though,” he continued, “Once we get the key to Princess Celestia, we’ll all be heroes. We won’t have to worry about what we’ve done in the past anymore. Everything will work out just—”

Tourmaline whirled and stuffed a hoof in his mouth. “Don’t say it,” she said, glaring at him. “You know what happens every time you do.”

A sheepish smile crossed his face as she moved her hoof away. “It almost got past me.”

Faithful smiled back at them. “It is what my people call ‘tempting fate.’”

“It’s the same with us ponies.” Tourmaline looked back at Wanderer with a bemused glare. “Mr. Hoof-in-his-mouth has done it more times than I can count.”

“Hey! I’m not that…” He trailed off and his eyes widened as he looked ahead of them. “Whoa…”

The other three turned to find themselves at the entrance of a large chamber. Using the light of Faith’s magic, they could clearly see the worked stone and pillars were unadorned, but what caused his surprise was the pedestal in the back of the room. Resting on the pedestal was a stone block of the blackest onyx—seeming to suck up the very light that fell upon it. The unnatural chill radiated from the stone, causing his fur to stand on end.

“Is that it?” Tourmaline asked, her gaze sweeping the chamber for danger.

Faith nodded, her gaze upon the stone. “That is it. The key to the Spirit of Disease’s prison.” A deep frown crossed her muzzle. “The one the Bringers have destroying my home for.”

Wanderer tugged his hat lower, a daring grin on his face. “All right then. Let’s get it out of here so we can leave.” He looked at Tourmaline. “You know what to look for.”

She nodded and took wing. Flying above the floor, her gaze swept around, taking in every detail.

“See anything?” he called after her.

“Not yet,” she called back, still searching.

Trixie shivered a bit before looking at Wanderer. “What is she looking for?

“She’s searching for pressure plates and trip wires.” He smiled faintly. “Tourmaline’s got the sharpest eyes of a pegasus I’ve ever seen.” He stepped forward, walking along the floor she had called safe.

“What do you wish us to do?” Faith asked, her eyes looking around as if expecting something to leap at them.

He looked over his shoulder. “Keep a look out. You see any danger, you let us know.” His eyes shifted to Trixie. “Keep behind me. I might need your magic in a hurry.”

She nodded as Tourmaline called the all clear.

“You didn’t see anything?” he asked her as she landed nearby.

She shook her head. “Nothing.”

He frowned. “An important relic and no traps to protect it? That doesn’t seem right.”

“Maybe they thought the guardian was enough?” Trixie offered.

He nodded after a moment. “Good point.”

Wanderer crept up to the pedestal, looking around for anything Tourmaline might have missed. As he got nearer to the onyx, he peered closer at it. Engraved upon its surface were numerous etchings. Peering at the marks, he frowned as it appeared like some type of writing had been carved into it, but it was in a language he didn’t recognize.

“Faith, can you read this?” he called back to her.

She bound up to his side. “Read what?”

He stepped back to let her see. After a long moment of study, she shook her head. “I cannot. It is not in my people’s language. It is not in yours?”

When he shook his head, she turned back to regard the stone, her eyes widening. “Astonishing. Perhaps it is in something far older? Look here.” She pointed to the sides of the block. “The writing seems to be cut off at the edges. What could that mean?”

“We can find out after we get out of here,” Tourmaline said as she looked around. “I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”

“Right,” Wanderer said and motioned them all back. He studied the pedestal a moment and raised a hoof to snatch it, but stopped as he felt a hoof catch his foreleg.

“Wait a moment, Wanderer,” Trixie said before looking past him. “Look.” She charged her horn and a ball of light flew up for the far wall. The orb split in two and glowed brighter.

“What in Equestria is that?” Tourmaline breathed.

A mural covered most of the back wall of the chamber, and was etched with the same markings as the stone.

“It looks like some map,” Trixie said before she frowned. “But I don’t recognize any of those landmarks.”

“What do you suppose it could be?” Faith asked, turning a look at the ponies.

Wanderer tore his gaze from the mural and shook his head. “Something we’ll have to look into after we get the key to safety.” He rubbed his hooves together. “First things first.”

The other three backed away at his insistence. Once more, he studied the pedestal, his hazel eyes searching for any sort of pressure plate or something. Finally, after a long, agonizing moment, he snatched the key from its perch.

“Huh, that—”

“Wanderer!” Tourmaline snapped.

“Right.” He held up the stone in a hoof, hefting it a few times. “Huh, it's a lot lighter than I’d thought.” He shifted it to the other hoof, gritting his teeth. “Cold to the touch though.”

Faith nodded, a relieved sigh escaping her. “Here, let me put it in my pouch. Then we can leave.”

“Better yet, why don’t you give it to me?”

The four whirled and each sucked in their breath at what stood at the entrance to the chamber.

Flanked by a trio of robed ponies, stood one of the most gaunt and pale ponies Wanderer had ever seen. The way the pony’s bones looked like they were ready to poke through his skin and the way his thin, wispy mane hung lifeless from his scalp and neck, Wanderer was reminded of all the zompony novels he had read. The pony’s eyes however, were a sickening green with irises that reminded him of a reptile’s that glowed with a malevolent power.

Tourmaline turned a quick glare at Wanderer. “You just had to open your big mouth!”

A sardonic smirk crossed the gaunt pony’s face. “Struck with awe are we? Then let me repeat myself: give me the stone.”

Wanderer shook his head and glared back at him. “What stone?”

The other scowled. “Don’t play the idiot with me, colt. You have the key to the Mistress’s prison, and I will have it.”

A snarl of rage escaped from Faith’s throat. “The Bringers of Plague.” She spread her forelegs in a battle stance. “How did you find us?”

He turned a disgusted expression at the deer. “So, the savages can speak. Not that it will matter. Your kind will know the Mistress’s embrace soon enough.” He sneered. “As for how we found you? That’s simple: we’ve followed you since you left your little village from the start, and kept our distance until you lead us right to the key.”

“Just who do you think you are?” Tourmaline demanded, her wings lifting with her agitation.

The pony smirked again, his eyes sweeping the ponies. “Hmm, only three of you? I had thought there were four?” His smirk turned to a sneer. “Did the other die? How absolutely tragic.”

Wanderer was quick to catch Tourmaline’s tail in his teeth, keeping her from outright charging the pony.

“Let me go, Wanderer. I’ll kick him to next week!”

The gaunt pony laughed at her, his mocking chuckles echoing in their ears. “As for who I am, I am the Mistresses’ Harbinger. For I will be the one who will see her freed from her prison to spread her loving touch to all of Equestria.”

“Do you have any idea how ridiculous you sound?” Tourmaline snarled at him, landing back on her hooves as Wanderer finally let her go. “You sound like a cheesy Daring Do villain.”

Despite the situation, Wanderer snickered.

Harbinger sneered again, showing his pointed canines. “I assure you, unlike Daring Do’s villains, I will not hesitate to end you if you do not give me that key.”

Wanderer stepped forward, narrowing his eyes at him. “Ain’t happening, bub. If you want the key, you’ll have to take it from us.”

Harbinger snorted. “It’s your funeral, colt.”

Trixie started as Wanderer passed the key back to her. “Wanderer, I—”

“You’ll get the key out of here. We’ll get them away from the exit so you can get out of here and run. We’ll catch up after we’ve distracted them long enough.”

She shook her head quickly. “No, no, no! Don’t do this to Trixie. She can’t—”

“You have to,” he said, glancing over his shoulder. “You can’t fight as well as we can. We trust you to—”

“Enough stalling,” Harbinger said, turning to the robed pony beside him. “Bring me that key the unicorn has. I have no interest in the others.”

Without a word of acknowledgement, a pair of slate-colored wings spread from under the robe and the pony flew straight for Trixie.

“For my people!” Faithful lunged ahead and met the pegasus mid-charge. Her hooves skidded back as he tackled into her, but she wrapped her forelegs around him and threw him aside.

Wanderer stood stock still as he caught sight of the robed pony’s neon-yellow mane. “Those colors… It can’t—”

He turned sharply as he heard a battle shout and was tackled by another robed pegasus. Wanderer held her back by her barrel even as she rained blows down on him. He was able to catch sight of her lilac-colored fur and green mane before Tourmaline tackled his attacker off of him.

“Scarlet Scroll?” he breathed before he turned to meet the charge of the third robed pony. Their heads met with their charge and there was no mistaking the blue fur and sickly yellow mane. He stared wide-eyed into the eyes of a pony he had known during his foalhood.

“Rogue!” he snarled at his foalhood bully.

Rogue glared back, saying nothing as the two jostled to throw the other.

“I knew you were stupid. But I didn’t think you were stupid enough to join the Bringers!” Wanderer grunted to hold back the earth pony. “Do you have any idea what you’ve done, you idiot?”

Rogue said nothing, and it was then Wanderer noticed something.

There was no inner light in Rogue’s eyes. There was no recognition, no hatred, no proud sneer, there was… nothing.

Before he could say anything else, Rogue took advantage of his distraction and slugged Wanderer across the muzzle. Wanderer hopped back from the blow and brought up his hoof to block the following punch. As soon as it came, he grabbed Rogue’s foreleg and threw him.

As Rogue bounced across the floor, Wanderer took the brief respite to take stock of their situation. Tourmaline and Scarlet Scroll were in a heated air fight. The two threw punches and kicks at each other before flying away and clashing again—Tourmaline screaming insults at Scarlet.

Faithful was in full retreat from Stone Hoof’s assault. She dodged the powerful blows he threw—who lived up to his namesake as the stone tiles cracked from his blows. The doe managing to keep a step ahead of him, but any counter she landed didn’t even seem to faze the burly pegasus.

For her part, Trixie remained where she had been—the key still floating in her magical grasp.

“Enough wasting time!” he heard Harbinger shout. “Bring me that key, now!”

Rogue, who had gotten back to his hooves, turned his attention to Trixie and charged for her.

Trixie gasped and scrambled back from his charge and cringed as Wanderer shoulder rushed him away. “Go! Get out of here!”

“But—”

“Just go! We can’t let them have the key!” He swore and rushed to meet Rogue as he came back in for another attack.

She ran for the exit but whirled as she heard Scarlet scream an angered neigh. With a squeak, Trixie hit her with a reflexive bolt of magic that had the pegasus scrambling to remain aloft. Leaving all the opening Tourmaline needed to tackle the other pegasus out of the air.

Trixie didn’t wait for Tourmaline to shout at her, galloping flat out for the exit even as Harbinger moved to cut her off. She lowered her head and charged on—either he moved or she was going to run him over.

Her eyes widened in panic as he spat at her. Using her momentum to duck under the sputum, the move cost her her balance and she stumbled over herself. Quickly grabbing the fallen key, she flinched as Harbinger stood over her.

His serpentine eyes glared down at her. “Give me that key, mare, and I promise you will not suffer.”

She scrambled away from him, but he kept pace with her, not allowing her any place to run.

“Trixie!” she heard Faithful shout.

As the doe bounded for them, Harbinger snarled, whirling on Faith. “Away, savage!” She managed to dodge his first beam, but the second caught her in the chest and she stumbled—just in time for Stone Hoof to deliver a vicious haymaker that sent the doe bouncing across the room.

“Faith!” Trixie’s shout joined Wanderer and Tourmaline’s in the vaulted chamber, as the doe slumped against the wall.

Harbinger sneered and turned his attention back to Trixie. “I’ll not ask again, give me the key. Now!”

She whimpered as she stared into those horrible eyes. Looking into them, it was like staring into the black void of a deep well.

“Hey, ugly!” They both turned to see Tourmaline holding a struggling Scarlet Scroll in a chokehold. “Back off! If you want her back, you’ll let us go! Do it now!”

A dismissive scowl crossed his face. “Do you think I care for them? Idiot mare.” A green ray soared out and blasted both pegasi away. Trixie could only watch as Tourmaline and Scarlet Scroll lay squirming on the floor.

“Tourmaline!” Wanderer screamed. In a fit of rage, he tossed aside Rogue like he was paper and charged after Harbinger.

“Wanderer! Don’t!” Trixie screamed at him. The rage she saw in his eyes, she knew he wouldn’t stop until his hooves were around Harbinger’s neck.

“Useless foals! Deal with him!” Harbinger growled and stepped back from his furious charge.

Stone Hoof landed in front of Wanderer, his wing spread wide.

“Get out of my way, Stone!” Wanderer lowered his head and to the two clashed. The impact stunned the both of them, but Wanderer was quicker on the recovery. He punched the pegasus twice before ducking under a countering swing. He then whirled and bucked Stone in the side, sending him tumbling away with a pained grunt.

Wanderer turned a glare at the angered Harbinger. “You hurt Tourmaline! I swear I’ll wring that scrawny neck of yours!”

The pale unicorn glanced at his down Bringers and scowled at him. “You’re free to try, colt. You are no match for the power I possess.”

“I’ve heard that before.” Wanderer lowered his head to charge, but stopped as Harbinger’s horn started to glow. He readied himself to dodge whatever Harbinger was about to throw at him.

Trixie saw it a second too late to warn him. Wanderer was so focused on Harbinger that he didn’t see Rogue at his side until after he had received a sharp uppercut to the gut.

A scream of denial escaped her as Wanderer fell over, his legs unable to support him as he struggled to draw breath.

Harbinger chuckled before turning his attention back to her, and she felt her own breath catch as she realized she was on her own. “Now, little mare, will you be just as stupid as those three and try to deny what will be mine?” He took a step towards her and she scrambled back until her back hit the wall.

“P-Please, don’t hurt me,” she whispered as she stared up at him.

“Give me that key.” He held his hoof out to her. “My patience grows thin.”

“Trixie… don’t,” Wanderer gasped before Harbinger gave him a glare. On cue, Rogue kicked him in the midsection.

“Stop!” Trixie yelled, in tears as she watched Wanderer crumple up under the assault. “Just stop!”

“Give me the key or you and your friends die!” Harbinger glared at her and she knew he would not ask again.

Trixie looked at Faith as the doe remained unmoving. Tourmaline lay unconscious next to the squirming Scarlet Scroll and Wanderer looked at her with pleading, pain filled eyes.

Just as Harbinger started to charge his horn, she shouted, “Wait!”

He raised an eyebrow at her.

Only after a moment’s hesitation, she levitated the key to him. “Please, don’t hurt them any more.”

He took the key from her magical grasp, a triumphant smile on his face. “At last, we have the key.” He studied it a moment before looking back at her. “Fortune smiles on you, mare. Had I not used up near all of my power and the Mistress's minions ridding of that troublesome tree, you and your companions would not have survived.”

Trixie slumped as he turned away, no longer having the energy to stand.

“Come, we are leaving,” he said with a glance at Rogue and Stone Hoof.

A nicker caught Trixie’s attention and she saw that Scarlet Scroll had tried to stand, only for her legs to wobble and she fell over with a grunt. She neighed again at them, but Rogue and Stone Hoof paid her no mind as they fell in behind Harbinger. Just as they reached the exit, she gave out a louder neigh, stretching a foreleg after them.

It was then Rogue stopped mid stride and turned to look at her. Scarlet gave a few soft nickers, trying to drag herself towards him.

“Now!” came Harbinger’s shout and Rogue turned away; never looking back.

Scarlet’s neigh echoed throughout the chamber as she frantically tried to pull herself after them. Finally, she stopped and just slumped to the floor—tears falling down her face.

Trixie looked around at the carnage as she buried her face into her hooves, her sobs joining the whimpers of Scarlet Scroll.

She wasn’t sure how long it was until Wanderer rested a hoof on her shoulder. All she could think was how Harbinger now had the key to the Gorgon’s prison, and that it was all because she had been too scared to run.

“Trixie,” she heard him say but couldn’t look at him. “Trixie, look at me.”

Slowly, she looked up to meet his gaze. His hazel eyes held neither anger nor disapproval, only a concern for her.

“I-I—”

He held a hoof to stop her. “Don’t. We need to get everypony back on their hooves so we can go after them. You help Faith while I get Tourmaline.” He stood and offered her a hoof up. “Come on. We don’t have a lot of time.”

Her hooves felt like jelly as she stood and went to check on the fallen Faithful Watcher. The doe was lying so still that Trixie thought the worse, but when she rested a hoof on the doe’s shoulder, however, Faith gave a soft groan.

Trixie gave her a gentle shake. “Faithful, please wake up.”

The doe stirred and lifted her head, bring up a hoof to massage it. “Ji cqa Vicqaz… What happened?”

Trixie bit at her lip. “T-They took the key.”

Faith’s eyes flew open. “What? No! We cannot let them escape with it!” She struggled to get to get to her hooves but hissed in pain—falling back to her belly.

“Faith, don’t hurt yourself.” Trixie looked at the singe mark on the doe’s chest. While it looked painful, it didn’t appear to be bleeding. “You’re hurt. You can’t chase anyone like this.”

Faithful’s legs wobbled as she climbed to her hooves. “My injuries don’t matter. We cannot fail in our mission. I cannot fail them.”

Trixie let the doe lean on her for support and looked over as she heard Wanderer plead with the still-unconscious Tourmaline.

“Come on, Tourmaline, you need to get up.”

She moaned, but otherwise didn’t wake.

He bit at his lip and looked around. “What do I do?”

“Wanderer.”

He turned as Faith spoke. Leaning on Trixie, she nodded towards her discarded bag. “In my satchel, there is a small pouch with a red leaf in it. Brush it under her nose. It will wake her up.”

He wasted no time in gathering her satchel and dug around until he lifted a small pouch with the imprint of a red leaf on its side. The moment he pulled open the drawstrings, his eyes widen and began water.

“Woo…” he pulled a single leave from the pouch. “That’s strong.”

A strained smile crossed Faith’s expression. “It will wake her.”

“It could probably wake the dead,” he muttered before running back to Tourmaline’s side. Gingerly, he rubbed the leaf under her nose and she jerked her head away and sneezed.

“Oh, sweet Celestia, that—” she sneezed again.

He tossed the leaf away and checked her. “Tourmaline, are you okay?”

She clenched her teeth as she wrapped a foreleg around her barrel. “I feel like I got hit by a buffalo.” Her eyes widened and she looked around. “The key!”

“They took it,” Wanderer said through clenched teeth. “We couldn’t stop them.”

Tourmaline turned her seething glare towards Trixie who had lowered her head. “Why didn’t you run!”

Trixie’s gaze snapped up and she returned her glare in spades. “Trixie did! She couldn’t get past that awful pony. What was she supposed to do?”

“Bite him, kick him, blast him with your magic, anything to not let him have the key!” Tourmaline got to her hooves, hissing in pain. “Now they have the key and you let it happen!”

Trixie bristled. “Trixie did no such thing! She… She…” She closed her eyes and averted her gaze.

“Screwed up royally!”

“Tourmaline! Enough is enough!” Wanderer shouted. “This isn’t the time—”

She whirled on him, her face inches from his. “Now is the time! All she has done since joining us is cause trouble! First she about kills you with the timberwolves, then she got Tormod hurt so badly he might not ever recover, and now she gives away the key that is going to release a spirit that is going to kill everypony! She is nothing but trouble!”

He scowled and the two butted heads. “It’s not her fault, and you know it! You’re just being—” he growled and gritted his teeth.

Her expression darkened. “Being what? What am I being, Wanderer? Say it!”

“A stubborn nag!”

Faithful tried to step between them. “Friends, please—”

“A nag!” Tourmaline’s tone rose a few octaves. “The only nag here is her! And you brought her with us. It’s just as much your fault as it is hers!”

The fur along his spine stood on end as he yelled right back at her. “You’re being such a stu—”

“Enough!” A brilliant burst of light and sound erupted between the two and they were forced back from each other.

They turned to see Trixie glaring at them, her eyes red from the tears that ran down her face. “Yes, Trixie messed up! She should have ran, she should have fought, and she—” she clenched her teeth, looking away for a second. “—she should never had gotten Tormod hurt. She knows that!” Her glare hardened. “But she is sick and tired of hearing your lover’s quarrel! We have to get the key back now, before we doom all of Equestria!”

Tourmaline sputtered, unable to speak past her rage. Wanderer laid a hoof on her shoulder in an effort to calm her. “She’s right. We can fight later.”

She smacked his hoof away. “There isn’t going to be a later, Wanderer. I will not go anywhere with her!”

His eyes widened when she slapped his hoof, but before he could snap, the sound of whimpering reached his ears. As one, the four looked to see the crying Scarlet Scroll and found her staring at them with a mixture of horror and… something else.

“What do we do with her?” Trixie asked as she looked back at Wanderer.

He bit at his lip. “I… don’t know.”

His gaze snapped to Faithful as her gaze hardened at the cowering pegasus. Faith turned and retrieved something from her satchel.

“Faith, what are you doing? Do you have something to help her?”

She didn’t answer him as she slipped on one of the hoof blades he had seen her use before. The wicked claw of a timberwolf seemed to gleam in the light.

“Whoa! What do you think you’re doing?” He quickly got between her and Scarlet.

“I am doing as I must,” she said as she glared at the whimpering Scarlet. “She is a Bringer of Plauge; my enemy. I cannot allow her to live.”

Had he not been standing in her way, he knew she wouldn’t have hesitated to use that weapon. “No! You can’t kill her. That is murder!”

“So?” Faithful snapped. “She would not have hesitated to kill any of us, and who knows how many of my people she has killed. Stand aside, Wanderer.” She tried to step around him.

He moved to block her again. “You can’t kill her!” He looked at Tourmaline, a pleading look in his eyes. “Tourmaline, come on. Help me here!”

She lifted her nose. “I agree with Faith.”

Had he been told that Princess Celestia was going to turn him into an alicorn, he wouldn’t have been more surprised. “What!”

Her glare hardened. “She’s an enemy, Wanderer, and she would have killed any of us. I say we deal with her now.”

“Are you insane!” his own voice cracked, “This is Scarlet Scroll, a pony! She’s not just some monster in the woods! This is murder!” He rounded on Faith, spreading his legs wide in a stance. “I won’t let you hurt her.”

Faithful’s eyes widened and she sucked in a breath. “You would side with the Bringers?”

“Never!” He stood in front of Scarlet protectively. “But I won’t let you kill anypony in cold blood either.”

Tourmaline’s hackles stood on end as a new rage budded within her. “Your protecting Scarlet Scroll now? Scarlet Scroll!”

He turned a harsh look her way, filled more with pity than anger. “What happened to you? The Tourmaline I know was never so bloodthirsty.”

Before she could retort, he spat,. “It’s like I don’t even know you anymore.”

That seemed to have stopped her dead in her tracks. He wasn’t sure why, but seeing the hurt in her eyes made him feel good for some reason.

“What would you have us do then?” Faith asked, drawing his attention back to her. “She would only slow us down if we took her.”

He didn’t move from his spot. “I will take responsibility for her.” Scarlet gave another soft nicker and he looked over his shoulder at her. As his gaze fell on her she shrank away. “...Maybe the Elder can help her.”

Faith’s ears flattened. “Help her? She’s a Bringer. My people would only demand her death.”

“And I’ll fight every last one of them if I have to!” he said, earning shocked gasps from his companions. “I won’t turn my back on someone in trouble.”

“How do you know she can be saved?” Tourmaline asked, her tone sharp. “What makes you think she can be?”

“Look at her, Tourmaline.” he stepped aside for her to get a better look at Scarlet, though still keeping himself between her and Faith. The whimpering pegasus looked at them with terrified eyes, tears running down her face as she continued to nicker.

Tourmaline glared at the pegasus for a moment before turning her glare at him. “I don’t see anything but her being the coward she’s always been.”

“That’s because you’re not looking,” he snapped. “I saw all three of them closely. Rogue and Stone Hoof showed no emotion whatsoever. Rogue would have been insulting us the entire time, but he didn’t even recognize us. His eyes were dead of any feeling.” He pointed at Scarlet who flinched at the sudden motion. “But she still has emotions, and that tells me she isn’t gone yet. There might still be time to save her.”

A pensive frown crossed Faith’s muzzle. “The Bringers I have fought before never did show any feelings before. Not even to scream as they fought.”

“Exactly!” Wanderer said, privately glad he had found some traction with the doe warrior. “Even Rogue showed something when Scarlet cried out to him. That tells me he isn’t gone fully.” He looked between them. “They might still be in there. Waiting for someone to save them.”

Only Tourmaline caught his wince at his own words.

He looked back at Faith. “Please, Faith, let me try to save her.”

She stood for a time, her gaze moving between Wanderer and Scarlet. Finally, she sighed and removed her weapon from her hoof. “You… might be right. In truth, I was not looking forward to killing her in such a manner.”

A sigh of relief escaped him. “Thank Celestia.”

“But what do we do now?” Trixie asked as she resettled her cap on her head. “We can’t chase the key down and take her with us. Trixie thinks they already have a good head start on us.”

All three slumped at her words. “We will not be able to. All we can do is…” Faith lowered her head more. “Return with news of our failure.”

Wanderer turned an apologetic look her way. “I’m sorry, Faith.”

She blew a sigh through her nose. “All we can do now is return and hope my grandfather can tell us a way to stop what is coming.”

As they gathered the injured Scarlet Scroll on Wanderer’s back, Tourmaline spoke softly with him, “Wanderer, I—”

He turned a hard glare her way. “Don’t talk to me. I’ve got nothing to say to you.”

Her eyes widened before they turned hard. “Fine!” she spat and flew away from him.

Averting his eyes, he wasn’t about to let her see the tears that were gathering and threatening to fall down his face.

-0-

She felt the celestial energy course through her body, flowing through her being like the water of a swift stream. Allowing herself to bathe in the feeling for a moment, her eyes slowly opened to the heavenly body above. The sun continued to shine down upon her beloved Equestria, waiting to heed her call.

With a warm smile, Princess Celestia closed her eyes and reached out with her magic to once more establish her personal connection to the sun. She felt the star greet her as she felt her connection take place, welcoming her like a foal greeting their mother after a hard day’s work. With only a little coaxing, she set the sun to setting—making way for her sister to awake her moon.

As she watched the sun set, she felt her lips pull in another warm smile. “Rest well, for another day,” she said quietly as she turned to watch the moon began its rise. A chuckle escaped her as she saw it struggle into the sky. Perhaps Luna was out of sorts, or the moon was being stubborn as foal—likely both.

Celestia turned from her balcony for their private dining room. It was a place the two sisters shared an evening meal before Celestia turned in for the night and for Luna to begin her Night Court.

Upon arriving, she found the serving ponies setting out their meals and glasses. The two ponies bowed gracefully to their leader as she took a seat at the small table before leaving. As she poured herself a cup of tea, the faint odor of orange wafted to her nose and a pleased smile tugged at her lips.

She just poured herself a second cup when a teal aura surrounded the door handle. The door flew open and in stepped a disheveled looking Princess Luna. Celestia wisely hid her smirk behind her cup as her sister once again had woken up late—if her bed head was any indication.

“Good evening, Luna. You look well rested.”

Luna’s grumbles were anything but polite.

“Come now, sister, surely an alarm clock couldn’t be such a source of distress.” She took another sip of her tea. “Remember, poise and grace. Even when the evil machinations of the alarm clock succeed in its task.”

Her sister gave her a flat glare. “You’re jests are no more funny today than they ever are, dear sister.”

Again, a humored smile crossed Celestia’s features. “Perhaps not, but I would still suggest seeing a comb before Night Court, Luna. You look dreadful.”

Luna's hoof shot towards her mane and she muttered something under her breath—likely not too flattering, Celestia reasoned.

“My apologies, Celestia,” Luna said as she took her seat at the table. “My own sleep has not been restful.”

A frown mared Celestia’s features. “Oh? What has been bothering you?”

Luna took one of the rolls from a basket and took a large bite. “Maff meems.”

Celestia gave a half humored, half irritated look. “Say again without the mouthful of food.”

Luna wolfed down the roll before speaking, “Bad dreams, sister.”

A faint chill ran up her spine, and Celestia gave her a concerned look. “Your own or…”

“Our subjects,” Luna said with a nod before helping herself to another bite of food. “I’ve found more of them experiencing recurring nightmares from his actions, and I have worked tirelessly to quell them.”

Celestia scowled. “Tyranny?”

Luna inclined her head. “Though they are fewer now, they are still difficult in banishing. It is my hope that I will soon find them all and do away with the last of his influence.”

A firm nod sent a larger wave through Celestia’s billowing mane. “Indeed, and better for us all when you succeed.”

“Yes.” Luna took a drink of her own tea and gave Celestia a wink. “I would hope it is worth at least some leniency for showing up at the table with bedhead?”

A velvety laugh escaped her. “Do I need to purchase you another alarm clock?”

Luna’s eyes gave an innocent roll. “It would be appreciated.”

The two shared a warm laugh and enjoyed their meal together. They made small talk, and shared news of the day, and Celestia felt her grin widened as the meal progressed. She had missed this—the talking with her sister after a day’s work. After being separated for a thousand years, Celestia promised she would never take a day with Luna for granted again.

She sat quietly as Luna spoke about the previous Night Court when she felt something tickling at the base of her skull. Her ear flicked back, but when she heard nothing, she resumed listening to Luna. When the feeling returned—stronger this time—she turned her head to look around.

“Celestia?” she heard a concerned Luna ask.

Celestia’s eyes darted around the room for a moment before she shook her head. “It is… nothing, Luna. Just a feeling.”

Luna tilted her head. “A feeling? You mean—” she sucked in her breath and looked behind herself, her own eyes narrowed.

Celestia got to her hooves. “Luna?”

“It feels… like someone is watching us,” her sister said in a whisper.

Again, Celestia felt a shiver run up her spine. It had felt like someone had been staring at her, but the watcher kept from being found. If they were truly being watched, there were only a few she knew of who could do so without setting off their wards. One of them being Discord, but he was currently dealing with a bout of the Blue Flu.

“Do you think it—”

‘Celestia.’

Both of them whirled, though only Luna’s horn shown with power.

“Show yourself!”

‘Luna.’

Celestia’s eyes widened. “That voice, it couldn’t be.”

“Celestia?” she heard Luna say. She turned to see her sister looking over her shoulder at her. “That voice, does it not sound familiar?”

She nodded. “It is. But—”

‘Come to my forest. I must speak with you on grave matters that concern us all.’

A firm look crossed Luna’s face and she spoke louder, “You have not spoken to us in years and now you want to talk? You have some nerve.”

‘Come. We must speak. Do not delay overlong.’

A snort escaped from Luna’s nose as the presence faded. “She finally breaks her silence. For what, I wonder?”

Celestia shook her head, a troubled frown on her muzzle. “I do not know. She has not spoken to us since…” she stopped and looked away.

A similar expression briefly touched Luna’s face before she scowled. “What could she want? Why speak to us now?”

“She said it was a grave matter.” Celestia sighed and slumped back to her haunches. “If it was enough for her to break her silence, then it must be important. We should hear her out, at least.”

Luna nodded slowly. “Should we inform Princess Cadence and Princess Twilight?”

Celestia shook her head before Luna could finish. “No. She would not speak with them, else she would have asked.” She turned to look at Luna. “We will have to meet with her ourselves.”

A wince crossed Luna’s face. “When?”

“We will leave in the morning. To give us both time to rest first.”

Luna turned a scowl at her. “You mean you will be rested up. I still have Night Court.”

A sly smirk spread across Celestia’s face despite her worry. “I would suggest finding that brush and getting through Night Court sooner than later, dear sister.”

Celestia took Luna’s retort as a sign of affection rather that what it had intended to be.

Author's Note:

Whew, that was a doozy of a chapter.

More to come soon!