• Published 14th Apr 2015
  • 558 Views, 52 Comments

Pony-Losophy - Newenglandee



Why do people do evil? Why do they go good? Twilight goes around Equestria to answer the toughest moral questions plaguing her world, with sometimes heartbreaking, sometimes hopeful, and always honest, results.

  • ...
3
 52
 558

Speaking with the Enemy: The Shadow Lord

Twilight cringed as she looked over the jailer. Being down in Tartarus was a most unpleasant and unenjoyable experience, from the way the air was hot and heavy like somebody breathing directly down your neck to the uncomfortable feeling of the stone floors. They felt like manacles made of stone, as if eager to grab hold of you, pull you down and hold you there, and the infinite blackness that imitated the sky above didn't help. Burning torches lit the winding pathway to the cells where her new interviewees lay, and she hated the idea of being down here longer than she had to.

But she had work to do and she wasn't going to put it off simply because she thought the place was creepy. Not even because the jailer was more disturbing still, who now held her first interviewee from Tartarus within him.

The Huntsman. A "Cosmo Sapien". An alien being of immense power, a living galaxy with horrific hunger. Celestia and Luna had fairly defeated him in combat many years ago when he was young and rather inexperienced, and, in keeping with his people's ways, he had offered up anything they wanted. They had asked for somebody to keep watch over their worst criminals, and he had agreed full-heartedly. After all...it meant he could eat repeat offenders.

He was beautiful in a dark and terrifying way. Very well-toned muscles over a starry-bodied form, clawed digits instead of toes or fingers or hooves, with a set of horns that curved atop his head. Three gems shone out in the center of his forehead, more brightly than the faintly glowing orb necklace he possessed, made of, evidently, crystalized planets. That was his species idea of jewelry: the deaths of entire worlds. Waste not. Want not. His face was noseless, his eyes a bright, faintly glowing trojan blue, haunting and ethereal as his voice, which radiated power, he was both soft and dark, gentle and horrifying.

He spoke calmly as he bowed at her, spear of cosmic matter in one clawed hand. "You want the Shadow Lord?"

Sombra. King Sombra the "Shadow Lord", an "umbrum", a living shadow. He'd been chosen, as the son of the mother of all Living Shadows, to represent his species now that they'd been captured by the Council of Races's forces thanks to Celestia and Luna's hard work. He would help negotiate for his kind, which made sense. He'd lived among ponies as a simple unicorn for decades until his turn to evil. Most of the other Umbra had no experience at all.

Twilight was going to speak to him before that, though. She held her notebook aloft in the air next to her, the Huntsman looking her anxious face over. "Do I frighten you? You think I'll hurt you and that I'd be able to get away with it since we're the only two down here besides Cerberus?" He inquired, gesturing at the nearby Cerberus, the three-headed dog calmly resting his heads over his paws, giving the trapped-at-a-cell-nearby, red-skinned Tirek a dirty look.

"Well, I...your very nature is frightening to me. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like if the entire galaxy we lived in was sentient, aware of every move we make. I mean, doesn't that sort of thing kind of...destroy free will?" She asked him.

"No. Because a being like myself is, in essence, giving up omnipotence,or rather, a portion of it, to put it into every living thing within me." The Huntsman intoned gently, putting a clawed hand on his chest. "I work through them, I feel what they feel and suffer what they endure. Through this, I can live a more better life. Through this, you feel a greater happiness and a more fuller splendour than anything. Just because I know what a person is about to do it doesn't mean I can force them to do anything. That WOULD be removing free will. But people aren't machines."

"Though in some ways they'd be better off." A cold, almost amused voice rang out from within the Huntsman's starry chest as the alien being frowned.

"It would appear he's aware of you. You wish to speak to him now, Princess Twilight?" The Huntsman inquired.

Twilight nodded, the Huntsman carefully concentrating as Sombra slid out, magical manacles still on his limbs to keep him from using magic, the black-haired pony now in normal, brown prisoner rags and with those same piercing eyes. Green, with red pupils, staring darkly, his jaws slightly fanged, his body well-built and powerful, a fine specimen of unicorn indeed. It was almost a shame, Twilight thought to herself. She'd read his journal, at one point he'd just been a sweet little colt who had few friends due to being an orphan and always being sickly. His encounter with the "Mother Crystal" combined with the revelation that the Princess of the Crystal Empire, Cadence's ancestor, knew exactly what he was and didn't tell him, had made him go bad. If he'd just been ignorant-

"What good, I ask you, Twilight Sparkle, is freedom? Is knowledge? Isn't ignorance so much better in so many ways? Isn't just being silent and not upsetting the boat so much more preferable?" King Sombra inquired. "If I'd never known the truth, I would have lived a normal, probably happy life in quite a few ways. I would have married Radiant Heart...started a family. Sure, I would never be able to attend the Crystal Fair." He admitted with a wave of his hoof and for a brief moment he seemed to waver, his tone becoming saddened before he refocused. "But it would no doubt be far better for everyone else than even for me. Free will is so laughable. I had no chance once the truth came out."

"You had a choice." Twilight insisted. "You could have said "no". You could have asked the Princess for help."

"The ILLUSION of choice is not a choice. Let us be honest. We are a horror to this world not because of how we're made, how we're born It's because of our abuse of what we think is free will." King Sombra told Twilight with an accusing hoof.

"And that justifies you not just enslaving ponies, but breaking their minds? Torturing them? For decades?!" She snapped. "Old, young, mare, colt, filly?!"

"You must be a strong believer in democracy, Twilight Sparkle. I used to be too." King Sombra remarked. "In many ways, I still am. But for a different reason than you. It isn't because I think all of us are so good that we all deserve a share in the government. It's because we're all so foolish and fallen that almost none of us could be trusted with power over others. I wouldn't want the average mare in the street running a lemonade stand, let alone a country. For the average colt and mare is stupid. Or are you going to argue otherwise? That they're not easily frightened fools who've no idea what's really best for them most of the time?"

Twilight gave him a "harumph" as Sombra gave her a sickening, mocking smile. "You think I'm at least partially right. That is why you can't bring yourself to answer. You've no doubt seen how quick ponies are to panic."

"You've wasted so much of your life on trying to control other ponies. And I think I know why. You hate the idea you have so little control over your own life." The Huntsman suddenly remarked, Sombra flinching at this as if struck over the face. "You hate that your duty was thrust on you by the Mother Crystal and you had to embrace it without any real choice. You hate the idea that people cannot change their destiny, so you have to somehow get hold of what little control you can over Life itself by forcing other ponies to bend to your will. That allows you to thumb your noses at the Heaven's, to say "Damn you, I control the wills of all, not you". To show that Fate has no power over you."

"He's right. For somebody who loved instilling fear in others, you're scared. Scared of not being in control. Of not knowing your destiny. And I think I'm a little sad." Twilight admitted. "You could have used your powers to be a wonderful king. But you decided to play the role that was given to you instead of improvising."

"As I said, that was an illusion of choice. It's not merely a matter of fate most of the time, Twilight Sparkle. I had no control over my being an orphan, yet I was teased relentlessly for it. I couldn't control being sick just being near the Crystal Heart. All that was my environment, and we cannot truly control that." Sombra spoke, his tone becoming softer, more refined. "You can't control who you get as a teacher in school. Cannot control the type of workers you'll have. If you're born with a defect, you can't truly keep others who know about it from insulting you for it. Our environment takes away much of that choice. If you're born poor-"

"Hey now! Many ponies can raise themselves up if they really work hard!" Twilight reasoned. "I know SOME Ponies can work their entire lives and never rise above the stations society crafts, but many can!"

"But many can't." Sombra said, shaking his head back and forth. "Because some ponies, as you may know, will be born with rich parents and others will be born without them. They will inherently have more choice than others. You want an equal starting line for us all? I created it. I created order."

"You created a dictatorship. You made a pyramid and put yourself on top."

"And why not? If someone is good enough, they deserve to be on top. And you can't let anything get in the way. Certainly not any sense of morality. A true leader can't allow himself to be swayed by the capricious influence of compassion or mercy. He has to be as moral as a hurricane." Sombra told her, waving a dismissive hoof in the air, frowning slightly. "You must act as a utilitarian."

"Doing the most good for the most people?" Twilight wanted to know. "I don't see how enslaving the Crystal Empire is "doing the most good for the most people"."

"When someone is at the top, they control all and that includes the people. They become extensions of yourself. Under my reign, there was no crime, no hunger. They were miserable, but I kept them fed well enough and alive unless they tried to rebel. And very few did, knowing what I could do." Sombra said with a small, dark smile as Twilight shuddered at his gaze. "In the long run, isn't that better? Being without crime and hunger is something your own rulers desire. But they won't go far enough. Their Constitution holds them back from making meaningful change."

"I can understand your point, but it's disgusting." The Huntsman muttered darkly. "My own species is quite utilitarian because of our very nature. We view ourselves and what we do as doing the most good for the most people, for the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. If a few worlds have to perish to ensure a galaxy survives, it's unfortunate. Even cruel. But necessary."

Sombra looked amused by this, giving the alien being a raised eyebrow. "So then why do you disagree with me, pray tell?"

"Because it's still cruel. Just because it would do the most good doesn't make it right. It might have been smart to simply murder you, given how easily you can hurt others, and how willing you'd be. But that would not necessarily make it "right"." The Huntsman said with a simple shake of his head.

"Spike's always reading about "The Mane-Iac" in his comics, and she's killed so, so many in his stories. But the heroines never, ever put an end to her not just because it would mean she wins, and not just because they're worried about some slippery slope." Twilight insisted, shaking her head back and forth, pointing at the Shadow Lord. "It's because it's just plain wrong to murder someone."

"Is killing someone in a fight "murder"? If I had my horn at your beloved little Spike's throat and was inches from slitting it, would it be so wrong to shoot a bolt of lightning?" Sombra whispered, leaning in close. "Think of it. His lifeblood slowly drips from my horn, I'm seconds from driving it in deep, feeling the KRAK that signifies his neck is shattered. You can end it with a thought. Save your precious little dragon. Why hesitate?" He crooned. "Why not strike me down?"

Twilight felt like she was burning up inside, her body lit up like a bonfire, tiny stabbing knives digging into her fur. She hesitated briefly, before getting out "That's not...it still wouldn't feel right."

"Feel". Feel right. I told you, Twilight." Sombra spoke as he stepped back, shaking his head. "A true leader must be moral as a hurricane. And he can't make decisions based on how he might "feel". But on what he knows is best. Cold reason and the Will to make it happen. Until your kind learns to sacrifice some of its freedoms and give more power than your Princesses have even now? You won't be able to make your society truly perfect."

For a long time, Twilight seemed to just stare at him. She looked like she wasn't sure what to say, but then Sombra's smirk faded as she spoke.

"We don't want our society perfect."

She shook her head.

"We just want our people to be happy."

"Your naivity is staggering. Nothing will change until you start putting your hoof down." Sombra snorted, looking away.

"How would you know? Putting your hoof down was the first and only thing you ever did. You wouldn't know how our way works because you never truly tried it." Twilight said, closing her notebook as the Huntsman led the head-held-mockingly-high Sombra away.

"And I wish you had." She thought sadly. "Because you could have been a good king if you truly tried."