• Published 14th Apr 2015
  • 1,691 Views, 37 Comments

The Curse Of Black Thorn - Bluecatcinema



A diplomatic trip to Haygypt brings forth both romance and a diabolical plot...

  • ...
5
 37
 1,691

Enter Black Thorn

The next morning, Starlight leapt out of bed the moment she opened her eyes. She raced to the ensuite bathroom to wash up and brush her mane. Her parents took notice of her speedy movements.

"Well, well." Twilight smiled. "Somepony's in a rush today."

"Day Light and I are going to check out this restaurant in the park." Starlight declared.

"Day Light, huh?" Flash smirked. "Looks like a certain filly's got her eye on a new stallion."

"What?!" Starlight spluttered. She emitted a fake laugh (which often came about when she was trying to hide something). "That's nuts! We're just friends, that's all!"

"Whatever you say, sweetie." Twilight teased.

"I mean it, mom!" Starlight yelled. "Besides, I'm through with dating and romance! I'm not after another broken heart!"

"You can say that, but the heart wants what it wants." Flash sighed.

"So you're saying my heart wants to be broken again?" Starlight frowned.

"Of course he isn't." Twilight declared. "But it can be hard to fight your own feelings."

"But I don't have 'feelings' for Day Light." Starlight insisted. "We're friends, and no matter what, we're never going to be anything but friends."

"If that's the way you want it, that's the way it'll be." Flash smiled. "Let's just hope Day Light feels the same way."

"Of course he does." Starlight retorted, not quite convinced herself. She gave her parents a couple of goodbye hugs. "See you later."

"Have fun, honey." Twilight beamed.

"Don't eat too much." Flash grinned. "Save some room for lunch."

"Will do, dad." Starlight nodded.

As Starlight left the room, Twilight and Flash's faces darkened, and they nodded lightly to each other.

Outside, Starlight met up with Day Light.

"Ready to go?" He asked.

"You bet." Starlight nodded. "Lead the way."

"You're going to love this restaurant." Day Light smiled.

"We'll see..." Starlight muttered, a tad irked by his use of the word 'love'.

Shortly after, the rest of the delegates gathered in the throne, where Nightshade and Red Rose were sat on their thrones awaiting the delegates' decision. Echo and Sunset were also there, Echo once again looking over the spell, which Sunset ate some dates.

"I trust you all slept well?" Nightshade smiled.

"Quite well, actually." Celestia nodded.

"Yes, the beds were quite soft and comfortable." Luna added.

"Well, we are nothing if not hospitable to our honored guests." Red Rose smiled.

"I would expect nothing less." Chrysalis admitted. "Hospitality is quite important."

"If you were staying at any of our castles, we would treat you the same way." Cadance smiled.

"I imagine you would." Nightshade smiled.

"How did you two sleep?" Twilight asked Sunset and Echo.

"Just fine, thanks." Sunset smiled.

"Yes, we were given quite a pleasant room to stay in." Echo added. "A marvelous night's sleep, if I do say so myself."

"Now, not to be rude, but I feel I must ask." Nightshade said sternly. "Have you come to a decision regarding whether or not you will help me resolve my problem?"

"Indeed we have." Shining nodded.

"And I can assure you we can do everything we can to help you." Cadance smiled.

"Not I." Chrysalis frowned. "Inviting us here under false pretenses was one thing, but asking us to participate in an act of dark magic? I think not."

"I'm with you, Chryssy." Sleight agreed. "Count us out."

"I know full well what it is like to be at the mercy of one's dark side." Luna said solemnly. "You can count on my help, Prince Nightshade."

"But not mine." Celestia said sternly.

"Sister?" Luna frowned.

"I'm sorry, Luna, but it's just too much of a risk." Celestia declared. "As much as I'd like to help, it would be better not to."

"Seriously, auntie." Constell frowned. "I'm surprised at you."

"Watch your mouth, little lady." Shine glared. "She's just doing what she thinks is right, and I support her for it."

"Thank you, dear." Celestia smiled.

"I'm with my mom." Constell declared. "I'll just take aunt Celestia's place."

"I'm going to have to decline too." Twilight admitted. "I don't have that much experience with dark magic, but I know that trying to enhance a spell is practically begging for trouble."

"I'd listen to her, if I were you." Flash told Nightshade. "She's just as smart as she is beautiful."

Twilight blushed lightly, pleased by her husband's compliment.

"I know my power isn't needed, but Dusty and I will help with the mental side of things." Blueblood stated.

"Luna isn't the only one who knows about dark sides, after all." Dusty agreed.

"I see." Nightshade sighed. "To those of you who have agreed, I give you my thanks. To those who have refused, I understand your misgivings, and accept your decision."

"Well, I don't." Red Rose glared at them. "I thought royalty was supposed to help other ponies."

"I'm sorry, your majesty, truly." Sleight apologized. "But we have our own lives and kingdoms to think about. If something was to go wrong with this 'plan' of yours, and something were to happen to both me and Chrysalis, who would defend the Changelings, who?"

"But you seemed fine with Professor Alchemy in his pursuit of dark magic," Red Rose protested. "I heard that you were one of the delegates to support his research."

"That I am." Sleight nodded.

"So why are you so against this?" Red Rose asked.

"Look, it's not that we don't have any faith in Echo's abilities." Twilight stepped forward. "In fact, I'm almost certain he could pull this off. But if something were to go wrong, we would all end up with blood on our hooves, and I'm sure nopony wants us to shoulder that burden."

"Besides, I know from experience that too much dark magic can mess with a pony's head." Shine said darkly. "It happened to my uncle, Black Knight Paladin. And I don't want to risk that happening to another stallion."

"Indeed." Chrysalis agreed. "Would you have us accidentally unleash another terror upon this world?"

"Please, I beg you to reconsider." Red Rose pleaded. "My husband is a good stallion. He does not deserve this curse!"

"Our decision has been made, Red Rose." Celestia declared. "And nothing you say or do can sway us."

"But..." Red Rose murmured.

"Let it go, dear." Nightshade sighed. "I knew that my request would had been a bit much to ask of them, especially given some of their history with it. I just have to make do with what I have..."

Nightshade turned to Echo.

"Professor, will the spell still be viable with only three Alicorns?" He asked.

"...Perhaps." Echo frowned, as he pulled out a piece of paper and began scribbling. "Considering the cumulative nature of Alicorn magic, factoring in the Starswirl theorem... hmm, while there would be a lot of magic there, it could still be lacking something..."

"Maybe a little extra Unicorn power could even it out?" Sunset suggested. "I'd be happy to lend some."

"So would I." Shining stepped forward.

"Me too." Blueblood nodded.

"That might actually work." Echo nodded. "It's a tad riskier, mixing Unicorn with Alicorn magic, but it could have the desired effects."

"I'll take it." Nightshade smiled.

"You're all mad." Chrysalis shook her head. "Every single one of you. You realize that, don't you?"

"Is it madness to want to do everything to help a pony in need?" Cadance asked. "To give it your all, even if it's dangerous?"

"In this case, yes." Chrysalis said bluntly. "I am truly sorry for Nightshade, but I do not want to associate myself with him if this blows up in his face and be involved in an international incident! My children don't need that kind of publicity again!"

"I understand your position, your highness." Echo declared. "I've had my fair share of bad publicity. But I refuse to let my jaded past interfere in doing what I know in my heart to be the right thing."

"That's admirable, and everything, but you're only one pony." Sleight pointed out. "Chryssy represents an entire species. Bad press for her is bad press for all the Changelings."

"Which is why we understand her declining." Sunset said fairly. "We all have responsibilities, and we have to live up to them."

"Well put, Ms Shimmer." Luna nodded.

"To those of you who have agreed to this, I cannot thank you enough." Nightshade smiled. "If this works, I will be forever in your debt."

"It's cool." Constell grinned. "Happy to help."

"To the rest of my honored guests, I say thank you for attending." Nightshade declared. "I shall endeavor to make the rest of your stay as comfortable as possible."

"That's very gracious of you." Twilight smiled. "Maybe more than we deserve, given the circumstances..."

"I harbor no grudges." Nightshade declared. "You have made your choice, and I accept it. The only alternative would be to somehow force you to take part, and that is something I have no interest in doing. I am far from the perfect ruler, but I am no tyrant."

"Okay, now I feel like a jerk." Flash sighed. "Do you have to be so nice about it?"

"I prefer to look at the glass as half-full." Nightshade smiled.

"Lucky you." Sleight snorted. "Must be nice, being so positive all the time..."

"If it were you refusing to help me, I might be a little ticked by the refusal." Shine admitted. "I'd definitely hold it against you, that's for sure."

"Resentment is not something I choose to dabble in." Nightshade shrugged. "I prefer to turn the other cheek."

"That's my darling husband for you." Red Rose grinned. "He'd offer bread to his worst enemy if that enemy was starving."

"Will you two be joining us for lunch?" Twilight asked Sunset and Echo.

"I don't I'll be able to." Echo shook his head. "I need to double-check this spell, make absolutely sure that things will go as smoothly as possible. Sunset, you can join them, if you like."

"Okay." Sunset kissed him on the cheek. "Try not to work too hard, now."

"That would be an exercise in futility." Echo joked.

Speaking of bread, Starlight and Day Light had arrived at the restaurant in Al-Azhoof Park. It was quite a fancy establishment, boasting almost as much grandeur as the palace itself. Day Light walked over to the Maitre'd, a light green coated, orange maned Pegasus stallion with a serving dish Cutie Mark.

"Good morning, Amen." He smiled. "Table for two, if you please."

"Right this way, young Prince." Amen pointed.

Amen led them to a table in the east side of the restaurant.

"Once again, you honor us with your patronage, your majesty." Amen smiled.

"Well, you honor my stomach with your delicious food, so I'd say that makes us even." Day Light grinned.

"And I see you've brought another lovely lady along with you." Amen looked at Starlight. "Such a lucky mare..."

'Another lovely lady?' Starlight suddenly scowled. 'How many ladies has he brought here anyway?'

Starlight and Day Light took their seats, and perused their menus. Once they'd selected their food, they sat and waited. Starlight, still incensed over what Amen had said, decided to just come out and ask the question that was burning in her mind.

"So... just how many mares have you brought here?" She asked bluntly.

"Not many." Day Light answered. "And honestly, the 'lovely lady' Amen was talking about was my cousin, Dawn Break."

"Oh, uh... really?" Starlight cringed, suddenly feeling very stupid.

"Yes, she was visiting for the day, and I was showing her around." Day Light nodded. "And since no tour of Cairode is complete without a trip to its best restaurant, I brought her here."

"Oh, I see." Starlight nodded, trying to shake her awkwardness.

"Truth be told, I'm not much of a lady's stallion." Day Light admitted. "Getting dates is one thing I don't 'rule' at..."

"Seriously?" Starlight frowned. "There's gotta be a ton of mares who'd love to date a Prince!"

"True." Day Light nodded. "But most of them only want to do so for my wealth, or position, or for the sheer status of being the marefriend of a Prince."

"I know the type." Starlight scowled, Wheat Stalk's face flashing into her mind. "Not to brag, or anything, but I've gotten quite a few coltfriends in my time. Just because some of them were royal chasers didn't mean all of them were."

"Ah, I should have guessed." Day Light noted. "You no doubt have a coltfriend back home."

"Actually, I'm between coltfriends right now." Starlight admitted. "I can never seem to hold on to one for long..."

"That's a shame." Day Light murmured sympathetically, though (unbeknownst to Starlight, or even himself) his face did light up a tad. "We two make quite the pair; Two members of royalty, both so unlucky in love."

"Oh, yeah." Starlight agreed. "Still, it's nice to have somepony to talk about it with."

"So true." Day Light nodded. "I'm afraid friends are also something I'm not good at making, so I don't get the opportunity too often."

"That's too bad." Starlight frowned. "Like my mom always says, 'friendship makes everything better'."

"With you as a friend, I'm starting to realise that." Day Light smiled. "We... are friends, right?"

"Of course." Starlight beamed.

"Good." Day Light grinned widely.

Not long after, their food arrived. Day Light had chosen some mahshi, while Starlight had opted for some dolma. To the side was a row of pita bread, accompanied by some dipping sauce. The two wasted no time digging in.

"Mmm, this is great." Starlight savored the taste. "Fantastic."

"What did I tell you?" Day Light grinned, taking a bite out of his own dish. "I called this the best restaurant in town for a reason."

"I can believe the hype." Starlight smiled.

As they both reached for the pita bread at the same time, their hooves touched. They pulled away, blushing.

"My apologies." Day Light said, flustered.

"You can go first." Starlight gulped.

"No, I insist." Day Light urged. "You are a guest in my country, after all."

"Suit yourself." Starlight grabbed a pita. She dipped it in the sauce, and ate it. 'Why are you doing this to me, fate?' She thought. 'We're just friends, and I don't really want another coltfriend, so quit it with the funny business!'

They ate in silence for a few minutes, before Day Light spoke up.

"So... tell me about your home town." He requested. "What is Ponyville like?"

"Well, like I said before, it's nowhere near as grand as Cairode." Starlight admitted. "But it's a nice place, with good, decent, hardworking ponies. It may not have the hustle and bustle of the big cities, but it's got its own charm, and honestly, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else."

"It sounds like quite a place." Day Light smiled. "And I imagine, as the daughter of the Princess of friendship, you have many friends?"

"You imagine correctly." Starlight smiled. "And we always have tons of fun. Why, this one time..."

Starlight started telling Day Light all about her experiences in Ponyville, while Day Light shared some stories of his own regarding his own experiences in Cairode, mostly involving his parents (taking care not to mention Black Thorn), and his upbringing. They continued talking long after they had eaten their meals, departing the restaurant and walking through the park, chatting all the while. It wasn't until Starlight took a nonchalant glance at the sky that she noticed the position of the sun.

"Aw geez, look at the time!" She gasped. "It's almost time for lunch!"

"So soon?" Day Light mused. "My, how time flies..."

"I promised my parents I'd be back in time!" Starlight yelped. "We've gotta go!"

Starlight opened her wings and took off, soaring up into the sky.

"Wait for me!" Day Light yelled, following on hoof.

Back at the palace, the delegates were already sat at the dining room table, as the servants placed the food before them. Nightshade was stood by the door, overseeing the servants, while Red Rose was at the foot of the table.

"If you liked yesterday's food, you're going to love this." Red Rose smiled.

"I still can't believe you're refusing to help, sister." Luna looked at Celestia disdainfully. "I expected better from you."

"You too, Twilight." Shining looked to his sister. "For being the Princess of friendship, you're not being a very good friend right now."

"You really want to take that road with me, Shining?" Twilight glared. "Being a friend doesn't mean you charge headfirst into a dangerous situation, even if it is meant to help."

"Yeah." Flash nodded. "There's friendship, and then there's common sense."

"So you're just going to let him suffer?" Cadance fumed.

"Suffer from what?" Sleight asked. "We haven't seen any sign of this 'Black Thorn' character."

"So?" Dusty asked. "That doesn't mean anything. O'Malley had his quiet moments, you know."

"For all we know, this whole thing could be a sham; A means by which to steal our magic." Chrysalis whispered.

"I doubt it." Echo frowned. "The spell is fully authentic. There's no way it could be a fake."

"And that's coming from the expert." Sunset declared.

"If you ask me, there's something off about this whole situation." Shine frowned. "I just can't put my hoof on it..."

"You're just being paranoid, uncle Shine." Constell snorted.

"And what reason what Nightshade have to make up such an elaborate lie?" Blueblood pointed out. "If the spell really is what it's meant to be, what other use could he possibly have for it?"

"I believe Nightshade is telling the truth." Celestia admitted. "But I doubt this 'Black Thorn' character could be so terrible as to necessitate such a dangerous ritual..."

One last servant entered the room, hauling a large bowl of soup, which was teetering unsteadily.

"Careful there, Farouk." Nightshade said warily. "You're looking a little wobbly. Perhaps you should get some help..."

"I'm perfectly fine, your highness." Farouk assured him. "Everything is under contr-ah!"

Farouk suddenly tripped, spilling the soup all over the floor.

"Not the new rugs!" Nightshade yelled. "Farouk, you clumsy fool! I just bought those!"

"I-I'm sorry, your highness!" Farouk gulped.

"Sorry?" Nightshade growled, his horn starting to glow. "I told you to get some help, but you refused. And now look what your foolishness has wrought, you... you..."

"Oh, no." Red Rose gasped. "Nighty, fight it..."

"Faust save me..." Farouk gulped, fearing what was about to come.

"No..." Nightshade groaned, realizing too late that his anger had passed the tipping point. "Not now..."

To the delegates' shock, a drastic change came over Nightshade. His face became harsher, rougher, with none of the benign pleasantness he had held for the majority of the day.

"So, you think you ruin the royal carpets and get away with it?" He snarled, his voice deeper, more vicious. "I ought to have you hung in the barracks for such insolence."

"If this is Nightshade faking, then he's doing a bang-up job." Sleight murmured.

"P-please, your highness..." Farouk quivered. "It was an accident..."

"True." Nightshade nodded. "So I'm going to go easy on you. You have to clean up this mess..."

"At once, sir." Farouk made to leave and get some cleaning tools, but Nightshade stopped him.

"You didn't let me finish." He sneered. "You have to clean it up... using just your tongue!"

Nightshade, or who everypony thought was Nightshade, shoved Farouk face-first into the soupy mess. Needless to say, the delegates were appalled.

"That's it." Nightshade held Farouk's face down. "Lick it alllll up."

"Stop that!" Celestia yelled.

Flash, Shine, and Blueblood rushed over and pulled Nightshade away from Farouk.

"Let go of me, you peons!" Nightshade struck Shine in the face.

"So much for hospitality." Shine rubbed his nose.

"You shouldn't be butting in." Nightshade swung at Flash, who dodged. "This is none of your business!"

"It is when you're demeaning and humiliating an innocent stallion!" Flash countered, both verbally and physically.

"Innocent?" Nightshade snarled. "He defaced my palace!"

"Farouk made a simple mistake." Luna growled. "He does not deserve such shoddy treatment!"

"I'll be the judge of that." Nightshade sneered, pushing the other stallions away from him. "I'll have you know that this is my palace and I possess zero tolerance for incompetence!"

"It's Nightshade's palace, you mean." Shining glared, prompting Nightshade to pause. "...We are currently talking with Black Thorn, aren't we? The one Nightshade told us about?"

Nightshade... or rather, Black Thorn, smiled.

"The one and only." Black Thorn nodded. "Black Thorn is my name. And might I ask whom you all may be and why you are in my palace?!"

"We are members of the royal family of Equestria." Celestia declared.

"And the king and queen of the Changelings." Chrysalis added.

"Well look at that." Black Thorn glared at Chrysalis. "A talking bug. Where's my fly swatter?"

"Watch you mouth, pal!" Sleight snarled.

"Or what, top hat?" Black Thorn smirked. "What kind of freak marries a giant insect anyway. Are you just that desperate?"

"Why you..." Sleight growled.

"Speaking of desperate..." Black Thorn looked around, acknowledging the Princesses pairing up with their husbands as they rounded on him. "I thought you Alicorns were beyond mating with inferior species... I know there aren't too many males, but surely you could've done better than some featherbrains and second-rate magicians and helmetheads?"

"And I though O'Malley was bad..." Dusty frowned.

"Even after Nightshade's description, I never imagined he'd be this bad..." Twilight said with disgust.

"Bad? Hah!" Black Thorn scoffed. "I am ten times the stallion that Nightshade is! If I had my way, I'd rid myself of him, then show everypony how a kingdom's supposed to be run. Just like in olden days!"

"But you don't have your way." Cadance declared. "And if all goes well, Nightshade won't have to worry about you for much longer."

"Is that so?" Black Thorn sneered. He turned to Red Rose. "Hey Rosie, be a doll and tell me what your spineless husband's up to."

"I don't have to do anything." Red Rose glared.

"I don't know what you see in that wimp Nightshade anyway." Black Thorn scowled. "You should shack up with me instead. I'm clearly the better stallion here."

"Not in my eyes." Red Rose glared. "And with the help of our guests, Nightshade will finally have the power to expunge you once and for all."

"Ooh, what's this?" Black Thorn sneered. "Shady's come up with another half-baked way to get rid of me?"

"Another? You mean Nightshade done this before?" Chrysalis frowned.

"Oh, yes." Black Thorn chuckled menacingly. "And I assure you, you little bug, whatever little scheme he has planned this time will fail miserably."

"I don't think so." Sunset taunted him.

"Yeah." Constell agreed. "This time, you're done."

"Ha-ha-ha-ha!" Black Thorn cackled. "What a joke! You fools have no idea whom you are dealing with! Maybe I ought to-"

As Black Thorn was about to issue a threat, the glow of his horn started to sputter, and his face started to contort slightly.

"Oh blast..." He groaned. "So soon? What a gip." He then glared at the delegates. "I'm afraid we will have to continue our chat another time... farewell, for now..."

Black Thorn's face softened, becoming Nightshade's once more. He looked with horror at Farouk, still on the floor, then to the delegates.

"Oh, no..." He groaned. "You all saw it, didn't you?"

"I'm afraid so." Blueblood nodded.

"Well, now you know what Black Thorn is like." Nightshade sighed. "I apologize for anything he might have said to you."

"It's okay." Flash assured him, "It wasn't your fault."

"Farouk, you may stand." Nightshade told his indentured servant. "And please accept my sincerest apologies."

"Of course, sire." Farouk bowed. "I know you were... not yourself."

"If only that were enough to assuage my guilt." Nightshade sighed. "Take the rest of the day off. It's the least I can do for you."

"As you wish, your highness." Farouk nodded.

As Farouk left the room, Nightshade watched, the look of guilt still plastered on his voice. For a moment, all was silent. Then, Chrysalis suddenly spoke.

"If I may, I'd like to change my vote." She declared.

"You would?" Nightshade gasped.

"As would I." Celestia followed suit. "Had I known how vile Black Thorn was, I would have chosen to help you the moment you asked."

"In a heartbeat." Shine added.

"Count me in, too." Twilight agreed. "Somepony needs to put that Black Thorn creep in his place."

"Now that's the Twilight I know." Sunset smiled approvingly.

"Personally, I'd be hard-pressed to let a guy like Black Thorn have the power to rule a country." Sleight scowled.

"At the very least, we should do that spell so Black Thorn can actually be punished for what he's done." Flash growled.

"My thoughts exactly." Dusty agreed. "If my family had known about the Gemini spell, maybe things with O'Malley would have turned out better."

"Hopefully, we can settle Nightshade's troubles more easily than Caboose's." Blueblood added. "No jumping out of clock towers in this case..."

"I had a feeling you'd come around eventually, sister." Luna smiled. "You too, Shine."

"Yeah." Constell nodded. "Good call, guys."

"Sorry for what I said earlier, Twily." Shine apologised. "I shouldn't have been so judgmental. It's becoming a bad habit lately..."

"It's okay." Twilight smiled. "We were all a little high strung back there."

"At least now, we're all on the same page." Cadance declared.

"Unity." Echo grinned. "What a novel concept."

"Thank you all." Nightshade smiled. "This means a lot to me."

"To both of us." Red Rose added. "To finally be free of Black Thorn... it's a dream come true."

"Don't mention it." Sleight smiled.

"We can start just as soon as professor Alchemy is done with his work." Nightshade smiled. "But for now, let us enjoy our food."

The delegates dug into the food, hoping to put the ugly incident they just saw behind him. Once they were down, they started filing out of the dining room. Starlight and Day Light, having finally returned to the palace, ran into Twilight and Flash.

"Sorry I'm late." Starlight said breathlessly. "Lost track of time. What'd I miss?"

"Oh... nothing important." Flash shrugged.

"Nothing at all." Twilight agreed. "There's still some food left in the dining room. Help yourselves."

"Thanks, mom." Starlight smiled. She turned to Day Light. "You coming with?"

"Of course." Day Light nodded. "That little run has certainly given me an appetite."

As the two headed into the dining room, Flash turned to Twilight.

"Do you think we should tell her about Black Thorn?" He asked.

"Maybe later." Twilight answered. "After all, if all goes well, Black Thorn won't even be a problem before long."

"I hope you're right, Twi." Flash reflected on the painfully guilty expression Nightshade had worn earlier. "I really do..."