• Published 14th Apr 2015
  • 1,691 Views, 37 Comments

The Curse Of Black Thorn - Bluecatcinema



A diplomatic trip to Haygypt brings forth both romance and a diabolical plot...

  • ...
5
 37
 1,691

Jumpstart

By the next morning, Echo still wasn't done perusing the spell. Having been informed that they had returned to the original plan, he was cross-checking the spell against his own notes, wanting to make absolutely sure that the margin for error was as small as possible.

Starlight woke up and headed down to the dining room, where she and Day Light shared an early breakfast.

"Not that I mind getting an early start, but what's the occasion?" Starlight asked, suppressing a yawn.

"There's a place I want to show you." Day Light revealed. "One of my favourite places, actually. But it's kind of a long walk, and I want you to have enough time to appreciate it."

"Okay, I guess that makes sense." Starlight shrugged. "And what is this place, exactly?"

"I can't say." Day Light said enigmatically. "I don't want to spoil the surprise."

"Suit yourself." Starlight smirked playfully. "But it'd better be worth me getting up this early."

"Oh, trust me." Day Light nodded. "You won't regret it."

Around finishing their breakfast, they left the dining room. Starlight crossed paths with her parents along the way.

"You're up early." Flash smiled.

"Yep." Starlight grinned.

"And just where are you going now?" Twilight asked.

"Day's taking me somewhere 'secret'." Starlight replied.

"Oh, is he now?" Twilight raised an eyebrow as she glanced in Day Light's direction.

"I assure you, my intentions are noble." Day Light said nervously. "I simply wish to show Starlight one of my favourite places, and I don't wish to spoil the surprise."

"Well, I guess that sounds okay." Twilight admitted. "Just don't be gone too long, okay?"

"Yes, ma'am." Day Light nodded.

"Have fun, you two." Flash smiled.

"Thanks, dad." Starlight grinned. "Though it would help if I knew where we were going..."

"You'll see soon enough." Day Light teased. "Just be patient."

"Yeah, yeah..." Starlight sighed, as they exited the palace.

"Listen to those two." Twilight chuckled. "They may as well already be dating."

"If only Starlight could actually admit it." Flash sighed.

"She's never been so reluctant to admit her feelings about a colt before." Twilight recalled. "Maybe this time, things will work out for her."

"Let's hope so." Flash said solemnly. "Because I can't stand to see my little girl get her heart broken again."

"Neither can I." Twilight agreed.

Starlight followed Day Light to the wall surrounding Cairode.

"So this place is over the wall?" Starlight asked.

"Not too far out." Day Light climbed the cracks and dents formed by years of wear and tear. "Now, just do as I do."

Once Day Light reached the top of the wall, Starlight simply flew up to join him.

"Show off." Day Light rolled his eyes.

"Not my fault I have wings." Starlight joked. "I can give you a lift down, if you like."

"I'm good." Day Light shrugged. "I've gone over this wall plenty of times."

"Are we even... allowed out here?" Starlight asked, a thought occurring to her. "I was thinking, with this big wall, you guys might have something against going outside."

"It's not like that." Day Light declared, as he climbed down. "The wall was built to protect to protect Cairode from invaders, not to keep her citizens contained inside. Trust me, we're not going to get in trouble or anything for coming out here."

"You can't blame me for worrying, though." Starlight defended, as she landed on the hot sand. "I've only been here a couple of days. I don't know all the customs... so, where do we go now?"

"Just over that ridge." Day Light pointed. "But stay on your hooves. Every so often, jade jackals come by this way."

"Jade jackals?" Starlight asked. "You couldn't have mentioned that sooner?"

"They're not that much of a problem." Day Light shrugged. "One good zap from the horn sends them running."

As if on cue, a snarling sound caught their attention. Starlight turned to see one of the green-furred beasts approaching them, saliva dripping from its jaws. Nonchalantly, Day Light fired a beam from his horn, blasting the sand in front of the animal. With a loud yipe, the jackal turned tail and fled.

"You see?" Day Light turned to Starlight. "Easy as-"

"Heads up!" Starlight yelled. She fired a beam of her own, striking another jackal, which had leapt straight at Day's neck. The beast was sent flying.

"-Pie." Day Light finished.

"You were right." Starlight grinned. "They're not much of a problem at all... especially if you keep your eyes open."

"Okay, I'll admit I let my guard down." Day Light confessed.

"What you were doing was showing off." Starlight countered. "Trying to impress me with your skills."

"That too." Day Light agreed. "Now, let's move on, shall we?"

"Yeah, before any others show up." Starlight grinned. "Don't want to have to save your neck again."

"Very funny." Day Light snorted. "Honestly, two jade jackals in one day is a rarity. I doubt we'll have to worry about a third."

"Whatever you say." Starlight shrugged. "Now, let's get to this secret place of yours already."

"Right this way." Day Light urged.

With Day Light leading, the pair scaled the top of the ridge, revealing a glorious oasis beyond, filled with fruit-bearing trees, and a large body of water.

"Whoa..." Starlight gasped.

"Not bad, eh?" Day Light grinned. "Race you there!"

"You're on!" Starlight chuckled.

"No wings, though." Day Light added.

"Like I need 'em." Starlight smirked.

The pair charged down the incline. Starlight's hooves were unaccustomed to sand, so she suffered some slips and stumbles along the way. But Day Light, as a native of the desert, easily made his way downwards, beating Starlight by a wide margin.

"And the crowd goes wild!" Day Light cheered. "Home one, visitor zero!"

"Not bad for a stallion who doesn't travel much." Starlight admitted, mopping her brow. "Boy, it's hot."

"Have some water." Day Light offered.

Parched, Starlight wandered over to the pond and drank, quenching her thirst and cooling her off.

"So, what do you think?" Day Light indicated the oasis. "Was it worth the wait?"

"It's a nice place, I'll admit." Starlight declared. "How long have you known about it?"

"Oh, I discovered it a few years back." Day Light recalled. "I was bored one day, and decided to hop over the wall and explore. I found this place, and decided to make it my own private 'hang'."

"Do your parents know about this?" Starlight asked.

"I never told them." Day Light admitted. "Since father is so against the idea of 'traveling', and wants me to be a dutiful Prince, I doubt he'd think much of me sneaking away to loiter here."

"Your secret's safe with me." Starlight smiled.

"Thanks, Starlight." Day Light smiled. "Here, come into the shade."

Starlight joined Day Light under one the palm trees, enjoying a cool breeze that wafted by. Using his horn, Day Light plucked some dates, passing some to Starlight. She accepted them, and they both enjoyed the fruit.

"Mmm..." Starlight mumbled, savoring the fruit.

"I know." Day Light beamed. "Nothing like fresh-picked, is there?"

"Yep." Starlight nodded. "Just like the apples back home. There is nothing like fresh Sweet Apple Acres apples, believe me. Maybe I'll bring you some the next time your dad holds a summit."

"I'd like that." Day Light smiled.

As they finished the dates, Starlight took a moment to take in her surroundings. The shade kept her cool, while the sparkling waters of the pond glowed nearby.

"Thanks for bringing me here." She told Day Light. "It's a really great place."

"I know." Day Light grinned. "It's the kind of place where you can just relax, and forget your worries..."

"Oh, I can do 'relax'." Starlight grinned, slouching against the tree.

As Starlight leaned against the tree, she felt herself growing drowsy, due to a combination of the balmy heat and waking up so early. She leaned back further, her eyelids growing heavier and heavier...

Meanwhile, back at the palace, the delegates were in the middle of lunch.

"So, how long do you think it'll take Echo to figure out all the particulars?" Twilight asked Sunset.

"Hard to say." Sunset shrugged. "Echo has a tendency to put as much research into spells as possible, cross-referencing every possible piece of information. He's a bit of a perfectionist, you know."

"I can relate." Twilight smiled.

"So can I, actually." Sunset chuckled. "It's part of why we're so good together."

"Well, I like to think Celestia and I share a strong sense of compassion." Shine admitted. "Whenever somepony's in trouble, I can't help but step in."

"I've always admired that about you." Celestia smiled. "Though I'd be lying if I said that was the only thing that drew me to you..."

"Back in the day, I was just some two-bit trickster." Sleight noted. "Illusions were how I got by. Kinda makes sense that I'd wind up married to a shapeshifter."

"It certainly makes sense to me." Chrysalis said adoringly.

"Love doesn't always come out of similarities, you know." Dusty declared. "Look at Blueblood and I. When we first met, we couldn't be more different."

"But like they say, 'opposites attract'." Blueblood grinned.

"That was certainly true of myself and Nightshade." Red Rose remembered fondly. "I was just a regular village girl, and he was heir apparent to the throne of Haygypt. I never imagined he'd look at me twice."

"I didn't have to, my love." Nightshade grinned, nuzzling his wife. "Once was more than enough for me to realize you were the mare of my dreams."

"Oh, Nighty..." Red Rose chuckled.

"As the Princess of love, I have to say that you two are perfect together." Cadance smiled.

"I can't argue with you there." Nightshade smiled. "Although things won't truly be perfect until Black Thorn is dealt with. He has something of a... fixation on Red Rose."

"We noticed." Shine said drily.

"And again, he was just like O'Malley." Dusty sighed. "These similarities are getting more and more obvious by the day."

"Well, if all goes well, you won't have to worry about that vile stallion for much longer." Celestia declared.

"What a relief it will be, to finally be rid of that vile stallion." Nightshade sighed. "To have my mind and body to myself again. To never again worry about losing my temper, lest that rogue take over, and cause a frightful mess..."

"That's one thing that's different between O'Malley and Black Thorn, though." Dusty noted.

"Yes, O'Malley would 'come out' whenever he felt like it." Blueblood recalled. "Caboose losing his temper wasn't really a factor."

"Really?" Nightshade mused. "I suppose I should count my blessings then. I don't think I could handle Black Thorn coming out whenever he wished..."

"Neither could I..." Red Rose shuddered.

Seconds later, Echo entered the room. His mane was a mess, and he looked exhausted.

"Well, it took all night and most of the morning, but I found out everything there is to know about the Gemini spell." He said proudly. "And I think we're ready to put it to the test."

"Wonderful." Nightshade smiled.

"I knew you could do it." Sunset told her fiance admiringly.

"How soon should we get started?" Constell asked.

"Well, I usually find that there's no time like the present." Luna smiled.

"I'm game." Chrysalis nodded.

"Me too." Twilight added.

"Count me in." Constell beamed.

"The sooner we start, the sooner we can say goodbye to that awful stallion." Cadance grimaced.

"Then it's agreed." Celestia nodded. "We begin right away."

"Might I suggest we take this somewhere a little more... secluded?" Echo suggested. "Don't want to risk innocent servants getting caught in the crossfire..."

"We could always use the courtyard." Red Rose suggested. "There's a nice open space there."

"Brilliant thinking as always my love." Nightshade smiled. "Let us away!"

As the group headed to the courtyard, Nightshade realized something.

"Where, may I ask, is your daughter, Starlight?" He asked Flash. "We could use an extra Alicorn in the mix."

"She went out with that son of yours." Flash told him.

"Oh, how sweet." Red Rose smiled. "Day Light's never had too many friends up until now."

"I admit that's wonderful news." Nightshade declared. "But all the same, we could use Starlight's help-"

"Oh, hush." Red Rose admonished him. "We already have five Alicorns and a Changeling Queen. That's more than enough."

"We can only hope..." Nightshade muttered.

Meanwhile, back at the oasis, Starlight had dozed off. She heard a voice, calling her name.

"Starlight... Starlight..."

Starlight opened her eyes, and realised that she had started leaning against Nightshade's side in her sleep.

"Oh, uh... sorry!" She pulled away, blushing. "Guess I was more tired than I thought..."

"That's okay." Day Light said, blushing also. "I'm the one who suggested we get up early, so it's really more my fault."

"So, um... maybe we should be heading back?" Starlight suggested, straightening up. "Those dates were great, but I'm getting hungry for something more filling..."

"Sure." Day Light nodded. "We can pick up something on the way back to the palace."

The two left the oasis, an air of tension around them.

'I can't believe I did that!' Starlight berated herself. 'Stupid, stupid, stupid!'

Back at the palace, the delegates, Echo, Sunset, Nightshade and Red Rose all stood together.

"Before we begin, I believe a little history lesson is in order." Echo announced.

"Oh, joy..." Sleight said under his breath.

"I heard that." Echo glared at Sleight, before he turned to everypony else, "In my research, I had learned that it was originally created by a Maretonian Unicorn noble by the name of Janus roughly two hundred years ago. He was a rather powerful Unicorn... but rather mistrustful. He sought riches, but knew that he could only gain so much by himself, and refused to rely on others for help. So through painstaking effort, he had written this Gemini spell."

"No offense, but I'm not really getting the point here." Blueblood frowned.

"Yeah." Constell agreed. "What does knowing how the spell was made have to do with using it?"

"It's always best to know a spell inside and out before using it." Sunset declared.

"Exactly." Twilight nodded.

"I'm glad to see my teachings haven't left you after all these years, my old students." Celestia smiled approvingly.

"If you let me continue." Echo sighed. "The Gemini spell gave him the power to create a temporary partner, cut from the same skin as himself, and one that he could trust, for he was that one. For a long time, he had robbed the land, stealing riches from anypony and everypony. Ponies had suspected him, but with his copy out making robberies, Janus could always make the perfect alibi, and thanks to his status, no charges were ever made."

"Clever." Dusty acknowledged. "My uncles would have loved to know about this spell back in the day..."

"It all came to an end when one fateful night, Janus' double was caught in the act of robbing the gem depository of the Duke of Maretonia, and during his getaway, the duplicate suffered a mortal spear wound." Echo continued. "The real Janus, who was at a social gathering, as per his modus operandi, was completely unaware of this. During each crime spree, he would give his double thirty minutes to rob the place of his choice and stash the riches where he could find it later before he merged him back with himself... but when he did it that night, not knowing that his double was lying on the ground dying. When he absorbed his duplicate from far away... his body was dealt the same wound as his double, and in front of everypony, he died. This is the Gemini spell's weakness: any wound, injury, or damage dealt upon the double's body would be inflicted upon the original upon reabsorption.

"Hoo, nasty." Shine declared. "But since we're aiming to make the spell permanent this time, we probably don't have to worry about that."

"Indeed. But it would be best to test that theory once we get this spell working." Echo declared, as he nodded to Chrysalis and the Alicorns. "Please form a circle around Nightshade, your highnesses."

The royals did as they were told. Echo then released a stream of crystals, which flowed all around them, as a stream of microcrystals attached to Nightshade's horn and linked it Echo's hooves, which was holding the spell page, and other streams began coiling around each of the royal alicorns' horns and in turn linking them to Echo's hooves as well.

"What is this?" Chrysalis asked, not liking the microcrystals coiling around her horn.

"Nopony said anything about this." Twilight frowned.

"Relax, everypony." Shining declared. "I'm sure it's all part of the plan. It'll be fine."

"It'd be more fine if somepony explained what's going on." Constell said uncomfortably.

"In the months following the incident with Sombra's book, I had learned that micro-crystals are rather conductive to magical energy." Echo explained. "I theorized that all Nightshade need to use the spell is a jumpstart of alicorn and changeling magic, like a battery does with jumpstart cables."

"Not the most reassuring analogy." Blueblood cringed.

"Yeah, it reminds me of the time when my uncle Salt attached jumper cables to himself to keep him alive when he accidentally injected himself with poison." Dusty grimaced.

"Remind me never to ask your uncles about their 'glory days'..." Sleight shuddered.

"Is it too late to turn back?" Flash asked, worried for his wife's safety.

"Do not fear." Echo assured them. "If something is to go awry, I can simply expel the crystals and cut off all powers. This way, I have complete control of the situation."

"Good thinking, Echo." Cadance smiled, the least perturbed by the crystals on her horn.

"Thank you." Echo nodded. "Now, please focus your magic on the page."

The Alicorns and Chrysalis complied, as their horns began to glow. As Echo explained, the magic began crackling along the conductive tendrils of crystals to the page in Echo's hooves. The page started glowing with dark purple energy, as the energy flowed through the crystals and into Nightshade.

"This is it." He winced, as the energies flowed into him, "I can feel the magic flowing through me..."

"Please work..." Red Rose whispered. "Please..."

At first, nothing seemed to happen. But gradually, Nightshade's body began vibrating. As it started shaking wildly, some silhouette began to separate from Nightshade, looking like a mirror image of him.

"I think it's working!" Sunset smiled.

"Oh, thank Faust..." Red Rose beamed.

"Well, what do you know?" Sleight gasped in amazement. "Guess this old trick's going to work after all!"

"We'll see." Flash frowned.

"It's not over yet." Shine agreed. "Not by a long shot."

The Alicorns and Chrysalis were too focused on their task to speak, but a smile emerged on their lips.

"Keep it up, everypony!" Echo declared. "I think Nightshade is close to splitting!"

However, as he said those words, Nightshade's horn began to spark and sputter, as the Unicorn gasped in pain, his head twitching, and his body vibrating out of control.

"No, something's wrong." Shining realized. "You've gotta stop!"

"No..." Nightshade cringed. "I can... take it... arrrgh!" He screeched as the vibrations worsened.

"Nighty!" Red Rose gasped.

"Enough!" Celestia cut off her beam.

"No!" Nightshade yelled, as his vibrating slowed. "Not yet!"

"My apologies, sir." Echo sighed, as he turned to the others. "Everypony, cut off the magic, one by one! We've can't risk an instant cut-off. The feedback could end up finishing the job!"

As he instructed, one by one, the others cut off their own magic. Returning to normal, Nightshade fell to his knees, wheezing heavily.

"Are you alright?" Red Rose rushed to him.

"I'm fine." Nightshade insisted. He then turned to the others with a frown "Why did you stop? We were so close!"

"Close to what, killing you?" Twilight frowned.

"What went wrong?" Luna asked Echo. "I thought you had everything planned out."

"It seems we used too much magic at once." Echo surmised. "The overload nearly tore Nightshade apart. Had we continued, we might have torn him in half, literally."

"We have to try again!" Nightshade declared, "I know we can get it right this time!"

"Not today." Luna declared. "You're already in bad enough shape as it is."

"But-" Nightshade started.

"Another attempt could wipe you out." Sunset stated. "It's best that we all rest up and try this again tomorrow."

"Don't worry, Nightshade." Cadance assured him. "We're not giving up. We'll make this work, I promise."

"Yes, and in the meantime, me, Sunset, and Twilight could use the time to tweak the spell." Echo declared, "All we need is more time."

"Time?!" Nightshade growled. "I've lived with the scourge of Black Thorn for over twenty years!"

"Then another day or so won't make a difference." Shine pointed out."

"But we're so close-" Nightshade started.

"I know you want to get rid of Black Thorn." Dusty said sympathetically. "But is it really worth your life?"

Nightshade fell silent.

"Be grateful that first try didn't destroy you." Chrysalis remarked.

"Just remember: if at first you don't succeed, try, try again." Flash told him. "You'll probably get it next time."

"Flash is right." Sleight agreed. "The greatest tricks take time to perfect, but it's worth it in the end."

"I suppose one more day couldn't hurt." Nightshade sighed, clearly disappointed.

"It's better than a last day." Red Rose pointed out. "Getting rid of Black Thorn isn't worth losing you, my love."

"I'm sorry for scaring you." Nightshade apologized. "We were just so close. I lost sight of things..."

"It's okay." Red Rose kissed him. "I'm just glad you're still here."

"I guess we should call it a day." Shining sighed.

"Agreed." Echo nodded. "I'll go back to my research, and see if I can pinpoint exactly where we went wrong."

"Thank you for trying, at least." Nightshade declared.

"You're welcome." Celestia smiled. "We're just sorry we weren't able to solve your problem today."

"Still, there's always tomorrow." Constell declared.

"Well said, Constell." Luna nodded.

As the delegates filed back into the palace, Starlight and Day Light returned.

"What's with all the long faces?" Starlight asked, noticing the downcast expressions on the delegates.

"Let's just say one of our 'discussions' didn't go the way we hoped." Twilight declared.

"Okay..." Starlight tilted her head.

Day Light caught sight of his father, looking quite defeated.

"Would you excuse me for a moment, Star?" He asked.

"Sure." Starlight nodded.

Day Light rushed over to his parents.

"What happened, father?" He asked. "Did you-"

"No, son." Nightshade sighed. "The spell failed."

"Oh." Day Light hung his head.

"But we're going to try again." Red Rose said positively.

"We certainly are." Nightshade nodded. "We're not giving up. Not when we're so close."

"Let's hope the next time's the charm." Day Light grinned.

"Speaking of 'charm', how was your day out with that charming young filly?" Red Rose grinned knowingly. "Did you have fun?"

"I certainly did." Day Light nodded. "But... I didn't tell her about Black Thorn."

"You didn't?" Nightshade frowned.

"And I'm not going to." Day Light continued. "No offense dad, but I'm not going to let that thug scare away another potential friend."

"I understand." Nightshade nodded. "If only I could deny Black Thorn's existence that easily. It would make things much simpler."

"If we're lucky, I won't have to deny it much longer." Day Light pointed out. "You and Black Thorn will be separated, and we'll never have to deal with him again."

"That's the plan, son." Nightshade nodded. "But it's already hit a bump in the road. I just pray it's only a temporary delay..."

That night, an Earth Pony stallion was walking through a dark alley, when he heard a strange rustling sound.

"Hello?" He turned around, finding the alley empty. "Is anypony there?"

There was no answer. Shrugging, the stallion turned to leave, when a hoofstep caused him to pause.

"If this is some kind of joke, I'm not laughing!" The stallion yelled, half-annoyed, half-nervous.

Suddenly, a hoof wrapped in ragged cloth reached out of the shadows and grabbed him.

"AAAARRRRRGGGHHHH!!"

Moments later, the alley was truly empty.