• Published 12th Jun 2016
  • 867 Views, 16 Comments

Stella Eventide: Wings on my Back - Shepherd Sheild92



Stella is a Pegasus pony from cloudsdale, who want to have her own life. Can going to school and meeting new friends help her with that dream. So follow her and her two friends though their college adventures.

  • ...
2
 16
 867

Chapter 5: Family dealings

Author's Note:

Hello, I kinda need a small break, Mostly to work out some things in the story. I hope you guys like/love it. I do plan on two more books. I would love feedback, about what you like in the story and things that could change a little bit.
Thanks for reading.

Stella sighed quietly to herself, currently sitting in the middle of her astronomy class, the room filled with ponies reading books on the Twelve Zodiac signs and why ponies had created the constellations. However, while they were taking notes Stella was in the midst of doing a little doodling in her notebook. Though this was more of distraction to cover up the concern she had at spending tomorrow afternoon with her mother.

Her mind was so distracted she barely heard a word from the teacher, currently in the middle of giving a lecture while using star charts as a visual aide. Whatever the purpose was, Stella couldn’t be bothered to care, her eyes instead focused on the clock, counting down every second to the point of insanity, waiting for the class to end.

“Come on, would you please end class already,” Stella grumbled into her book. Mercifully, the old Unicorn’s lecture gradually drew to a close, as the last five minutes of class winded down. The instant he said the class was done, Stella quickly shoved her book into her saddlebag and left the classroom. Or, rather, she tried too.

Unfortunately, two of her classmates approached her and it was obvious she wasn’t leaving until she had some kind of communication with them.

“Hey Stella, you interested in joining our study group?” asked a unicorn mare about her same age.

“We could use a smart pony like you, certainly making learning these assignments a little easier.,” The other pony, a male Earth pony, added in. Stella quickly took a few steps backward.

“I would love to, but I’ve got plans right now” she informed the two ponies in front of her, trying to sound as sincere as she could. “Sorry, but I’m in a hurry, maybe some other time.” She quickly made her way past the two and out the door, eager to escape the confines of the school.

As Stella trotted outside, she was met with a light breeze of cool air, while taking in the now visible night sky, having not realized how late it was. Another glance allowed her to spot the leaves on the campus’ trees, now in the process of changing colors, which brought a nostalgic smile to Stella’s face.

Stella never quite understood why she liked Autumn, yet whenever she saw the leaves colors shift, it always brought a smile to her face. Maybe it was the fact the weather was much more pleasant compared to summer or maybe that the trees looked now like a painter was having fun with various warm colors. Either way, she didn’t mind.

“Hey, Stella!” a pony called out, ripping her from her moment of silent admiration. Stella took a deep breath to try and relax, wanting nothing more than to simply head home.

“Look, whoever you are, I just wanna go home so I don’t have much time to talk” whispered Stella. However, her emotions shifted when she saw it was Ruby approaching her, now in her Nightwalker form. “Ruby, what are you doing here?” Stella asked in confusion.

“Well, I swung by your apartment, but no pony was home, so I came here. Though I had another reason.”

Ruby’s expression and tone turned slightly somber and ashamed as she looked at the ground, “I wanted to apologize for blowing up in your face the other day. I was angry about missing my train, but I know you weren’t trying to hurt me, you just got overworked is all and I know it wasn’t all your fault. Though more important;y, I just don’t wanna stay angry at you.”

Stella’s shock slowly shifted to understanding and hidden joy, while Ruby just gave her an apologetic smile. “I’m hoping this won’t ruin things between us and if you’d be interested, I’d like to hang out tonight.”,

Stella was more than eager to nod in acceptance at the request, though her excitement shifted as she was reminded of something.

“Not to change topics, but why are you in your Nightwalker form?” Stella asked, genuinely curious.

“I just got off work, and I didn’t want to put off apologizing to you”

“Well, I’m just glad you’re not mad at me anymore.e Also, If you want to do something we can go dress shopping tomorrow,” replied Stella with a smile

Ruby laughed a little bit, “That sounds wonderful.”

Stella looked similarly excited, though Ruby caught a brief frown on her face before Stella spoke again. “In the meantime, I’m on my way to talk to Luna if you want to come,” said Stella.

“What was that frown I saw, and since when did you like shopping for dresses?” Ruby asked with a half-smile.

“Never, I hate dresses, but I’m hanging with my mom tomorrow night. I wanna make sure it goes off without any problems, so I was hoping you’d help me pick out a dress,” explained Stella, her dread the night to come etched all across her face.

“Wouldn't Brighteyes be a better option. I mean that seems like something she’d be into?”

“She has to study, but she was going to join me for a quick drink later.”

“Well, if you insist, I’d love to tortur….I mean help you find the perfect dress for your meeting with your mother.”

Stella could practically taste the amusement dripping from Ruby’s every word but shrugged it off as the pair continued on their way.

The pair’s search for Luna persisted for some time, they found two of Luna’s Honor Guard outside of the throne room. One was a Charcoal Nightwalker stallion with a long Orange and Black mane and tail. The other was also a Stallion, but he was a Batpony. His body was light gray with a really short silver and orange mane, with a tail to match. Stella all but immediately recognized the two, not by name though, but having been mentioned by Gloomwing, in that they were both his first cousins.

However, this knowledge didn’t do much as Stella trotted up to them, only to be met with a loud, “HALT!” The pair glaring at her with matching scowls.

Stella quickly took several steps back, Ruby following her, as the two guards kept their gaze locked on the pair Once the two maids backed off a little more, the two guards started to relax. Stella was about to make a request from them until she heard a voice from behind.

“I’m going to need to ask you two to leave.” Stella knew that this voice belonged to Hazeveil. Stella turned to see she was correct, though she seemed much calmer than their last encounter. Ruby started to walk away, till Stella opened her mouth.

“I would like to see Princess Luna please,” asked Stella with the cutest face she could pull off.

“Stella, what are you doing?” Thought Ruby, biting her lip as Hazeveil looked at the two maids with an ice cold expression.

“You two need to leave, now! If you want to talk to Princess Luna, then wait by her chambers. She will be on her break in about an hour,” Hazeveil said with the calmest voice she could muster.

“Stella, you’re an idiot! She is letting us go, so don’t open your mouth again.” Ruby thought, now drawing blood from her lip.

“I need to see her before―” Stella was saying before Ruby put her hoof in Stella’s mouth, which she was more than a little annoyed/disgusted with. Hazeveil meanwhile, just looked at the two with confusion at the odd display.

With a quick nod of the head, Ruby dragged the struggling Stella back, “We understand completely and will do just that, thanks.” With another pull she dragged her friend down the corridor, though once she took her hoof from her friend’s mouth she started yelling the whole way back, making her friend regret her action.

“What was that all about Ruby?” snapped Stella. Ruby wanted to yell back, but acted against that impulse, not wanting to get into a shouting match with her friend. The two were just outside Luna’s chambers and got hushed four times for the ruckus that they made, or rather Stella made, by one of the guards.

“We can wait, Stella. Luna will be back sooner than you think, we just have to be patient,” Ruby whispered, hoping the low voice would calm Stella down.

“I still can’t believe you dragged me away,” Stella growled.

“Sorry, but I had to, anymore arguing and you were liable to get in a fight with that guardpony.” The thought of that actually made her chuckle slightly, finding the mental image just a little amusing.

Stella however, looked almost insulted by the comment and the smirk on her friend’s face. “And what’s with the smirk, do you find the idea of me getting beaten up amusing perhaps.”

“When you’re like this, maybe just a little.”

The two ponies looked at each other, almost looking like they were about to start a fight, only to begin laughing up a storm. Though they quickly silenced each other when the guard shushed them, leaving them chuckling lightly as the guard quietly rounded the corner.

The sight of two ponies chuckling to themselves was the sight Princess Luna found at her door and it left her naturally perplexed.

“What are you two laughing at?” asked Luna in her Royal Canterlot Voice.

In response, a guard ran around the corner. “Keep it down…Oh, Princess, I’m sorry,” the young Batpony managed to choke out, turning beet red. The two mares meanwhile, exploded into laughter, prompting the pony to quickly fly off. Luna meanwhile just shook her head.

“So, Stella, Hazeveil said you wished to speak with me. So, pray tell, what is on your mind, young one?” asked Luna with a comforting smile on her face. Stella took some time to breathe before talking to her Princess.

“You see…I’m meeting with my mom tomorrow and I was hoping you could cast an illusion spell on me,” requested Stella hopefully. Luna gave Stella’s request a lot of thought.

“Why do you want me to do that, Stella?” asked the Alicorn, standing before her. Stella and Ruby didn’t understand what Luna was asking. Stella just told Luna why. Luna could tell that the two of them were a little confused, due to the dumb looks she got.

“Stella…mmm…Stella, you remember that I gave you the ability to turn into a batpony to help you, on the condition you would tell your family why you decided to become a Batpony. I’m afraid I cannot help you in this matter and you must inform your family of the truth, before Hearth’s Warming Eve.

“Luna, why would you move it up? That’s not fair!”

“Stella, your family loves you. Luna is right to do this,” said Ruby putting a hoof around Stella. Luna smiled and cleared her throat.

“Very well Stella, if I fulfill your request then you must give up your weekend and work the next two nights. I believe that is a fair compromise for what you are asking, don’t you agree?” Luna asked with a smile, showing more than Luna was letting on.

Stella looked slightly apprehensive at the notion of working all weekend but was quick to shake off any apprehension and nodded. “I accept.”

Luna’s horn was then illuminated with a dark blue aura, before a beam of similar colored energy hit Stella, a cloud of smoke forming, before revealing Stella, now in her originally pegasus form.

“As requested, you will remain in this form for twenty-four hours, I recommend you make the most of them.”

With her request granted, Stella, as well as Ruby, thanked Princess Luna and made their way back home, as they had a long day ahead of them.

Having solved one problem, Ruby and Stella made their way around Canterlot in search of a clothing store. They were eventually able to find one, thanks predominantly to Princess Twilight modeling a dress from the store in question. Stella opted for this one as she knew her mother would approve of anything coming from this new store, the Canterlot Boutique. They quietly made their way inside, marveling at the stores glimmering interior, with dresses in every corner and on both floors of the building.

A white Unicorn with a purple mane walked up to Stella and Ruby. “Welcome to Canterlot Boutique. I’m Rarity, how may I help you today?” she asked with a friendly smile.

“Well, I’m having a special dinner tonight and wanted a dress for it,” replied Stella already looking at dresses.

“Ah, a special occasion. Not to worry, I guarantee you we have dresses for every possible occasion. I’m certain we can find something you’ll like.” Beckoning them to follow, she led them to one of several racks and thus began the process of looking through the many dresses.

Ruby, wishing to help, begin pulling out dresses for Stella to try, while Rarity looked over the racks with a critical eyes.

“By the way, Darling, do you have any particular style, color or preference in mind?”

It was here Stella was reminded of something she’d completely forgotten. She knew nothing about dresses and had next to no clue what she should wear. The realization almost caused her to start hyperventilating as her eyes quickly darted in every direction, looking at every dress, trying to find some clue or something that would give her an idea of what to pick.

However, a comforting hoof quickly halted her eyes rapid shifting as she noticed Rarity standing next to her. “I recognize that look, not quite sure what you want. No need to worry my dear, if you just leave it to me, I’ll find something you’ll both enjoy and look positively radiant in. You have my solemn promise on that.”

Stella could only offer a thankful nod, calmed in the fact she’d put this matter in the hooves of a professional. Of course this lead to her trying on many different dresses, more than a few she rejected outright for simply being “too girly” with Ruby chiming in to offer her own input.

By the time they’d managed to leave, it was already midday and Stella promptly head to the Canterlot Spa, still requiring some prep work done for her mother. Once all was said and done, she made her way to the restaurant, now clad in her new dark purple dress, complemented by a pair bright crystal shoes on her front hooves.

A quick scan of the entrance allowed her to spot her mother waiting for her. With the exception of a few wrinkles on her face, her mother, Aurourus Eventide, looked quite pristine for her age, her dark blue coat and silver mane making her quiet eye-catching.

Said mare’s face quietly lite up at the sight of her daughter approaching, quickly embracing her in a hug.

“Stella, it’s so good to see you,” Aurorus said walking inside with Stella, who was working to make every step as precise as possible.Once they were, they were able to take a few quick glances at their menus before a fancily dressed Saberhorn waiter walked over to them, and Aurorus good mood died a little bit.

“What are we eating tonight?” the waiter asked in a friendly tone.

“I’ll have a daisy salad with a glass of green tea,” replied Aurorus with a calm but sharp voice.

“As for me I would love to have some fruit salad with a glass of appletini please,” Stella said with charm.

“Superb choices, I’ll be right back with your drinks.” Aurorous good mood didn’t return till the waiter was gone.

“You lost some charm Stella, did you just stop using it when you moved out,” asked Aurorus smiling.

“Wow, Mom, that’ very tactful of you. I could say the same way on how you acted around that pony. “Well I didn’t need the charm for my classes and you are acting like I ordered a beer. I don’t drink beer.” Her mother took a breath of relief to know Stella didn’t lose all her charm. “By the way do you not like our waiter for some reason?” Stella asked.

“I just don’t like that Princess Celestia would let her so called ‘sister’ turn ponies into her very own drones. I guess I’m just not fond of the idea of Luna having her own subjects.” Aurorus shot out while staying calm the whole time. Stella couldn’t believe how her mother was acting. “Stella, on a side note, I do like your dress,” she finished.

“Thank you. I got it from the Canterlot Boutique. I believe it's owned by somepony named Rarity,” Stella replied with great pride in her clothes, for once. “However, you don’t seem to like Luna’s ponies. Have you ever met one?”

“No, I just know that the Canterlot elite doesn't like them either. They think Luna is going to try to overthrow the Princess again.”

“I have to say, I have two Nightwalkers in one of my classes, and they seem alright,” Stella said trying to defend her friends. However, that was the extent of any kind of verbal back and forth they would have. The night went by without incident, though the conversation had become slightly more awkward, at least for Stella.

Outside of a few casual bits of discussion, they went through their drinks and dinner without much communication. Eventually, once the check was paid, they exited with Stella giving her mother a hug and a ‘Goodnight’ before flying off into the night.