• Published 4th Apr 2015
  • 341 Views, 6 Comments

The Chaos Comes - fatewing1



Nightmares plague Twilight's Night, only to be explained as memories both her's and not. An evil older then the birth of Equestria Comes forth to take the land into shadow. Can the Bearers of Harmony prevail? Or will they fall into Shadow?

  • ...
 6
 341

Chapter 6

Fatewing summoned a journal looking book. At least it looked like that except for the size. Where a journal might be about two inches thick, this one was almost as thick as a novel. He addressed the group. "This is a tale of much darkness. You all know the tale of how you ponies found Equestria, and fled from the Windigoes. What you don't know is that was not your first center of civilization, nor is Equestria the first one where you all cooperated peacefully. This kingdom of the Two Sisters is actually the third great civilization of regular ponies." He opened the tome. "This is the history of the first. But I need to give you a brief prelude to it. Who knows an Origin story? On how the world was created?"

Twilight and Pinkie put up their hooves.

"Twilight," Fatewing chose. "What is your tale?"

"The 'tale' of science," she began. "This world was created when a passing object moved through the dust cloud before our whole solar system formed. The force allowed the cloud to condense then to form a star and various planets."

"That is both correct and not," Fatewing said. Twilight's jaw dropped. How could a statement be both right AND wrong?

"And your's, Pinkie Pie?" Fatewing asked.

"Well, alicorns made it didn't they?" the pink mare said. "I mean, if two of them control the sun and moon, then couldn't older and more powerful ones make the sun and moon?"

"Again, both right and yet not," Fatewing said. Pinkie smiled, sensing a real good story coming.

"This solar system was formed when an object passed through it. But that was not some random rock. It was actually a being. Who and what that being was is unknown, even to me. But that being did far more than form this system. It then populated this planet. Originally there were two species. One of them were the Angels, beings of pure light and creation. They were tasked with filling the rest of the world with life. The other species was a by product, a balance to the Angels. They were called Demons, and they were the darkness to the Angels' light, destruction to creation." Twilight was suddenly very interested. "Each of the two species realized that they could not undone what the other did completely. And such, created independent species each, one of three times they ever would directly create something rather than allow it to run its course. The Angels created the Alicorns, meant to help run the universe and prevent some of the chaos and destruction and perversion of the Demons. And the Demons, a truly rare occurrence, created the Dragons. These great wurms were not anymore the dragons of today than the ponies of today are alicorns. These beasts were engines of pure destruction, any one of them able to reduce a country to naught but ash. The Alicorns and the Dragons fought in the mortal world, each trying to ensure that their purpose remained, even as the Angels and Demons fought in the Æther, the twin wars reflecting each other. Finally, the Demons scored a major victory, disguised in a defeat, the Dragons reflecting this. Each of the two had stolen a powerful member of their enemy, at truly devastating cost. The Demons had taken the Angel then in charge of the sun's light, and had begun to pervert his body and mind, turning him into a twisted mockery of himself. The Dragons had captured the Alicorn of peace, trapped and tortured. The Dragons gave this Alicorn to their masters, who then began their own transformations of him. The demons attacked the Angels, along side their creations, while at a feast to celebrate their victory. The battles became truly bloody then, both side being annihilated by the other. The Alicorns and Dragons left the fight, their numbers barely a tenth of their original, and came to a form of peace. Together, the Alicorn of Magic, and the Dragon of the Void banished the Angels and Demons to two separate realms, unable to interact with each other or with the Material World. What they created were the realms of the afterlife, Heaven for the Angels, and Tartarus for the Demons. The Alicorns then abandoned a continent for the Dragons to raze and destroy as they pleased. The Dragons accepted the land, allowing the Alicorns to have their own land for creation. This is where our tale truly begins." Fluttershy raised her hoof.

"Yes?" Fatewing asked, a teacher to their student.

"Where did the original Being go?" the cream mare asked.

"No one, and I do mean no one, knows," he said. "Like I had stated earlier, no one even knows what type of Being it was."

"Continuing. What the Alicorns made was a great Kingdom of creation. They tended to the needs of the planet and to the inhabitants there of. Some were in charge of the heavenly bodies, some in the seasons. Some saw to the cycles of plants and others to animals. Then, one of the Alicorns in charge of the animals found a family of new beings. They resembled the Alicorns in most ways, but differed in several key ways. These beings were smaller in stature, and had three distinct subspecies. Some where stronger than the others and could easily care for the earth, but lacked a horn or wings. The Earth Ponies. Another had a horn and the use of magic, but lacked an alicorns strength or wings. The Unicorns. Then there were the winged ponies that could manipulate weather. They were the Pegasi. The Alicorns assimilated the smaller ponies into their culture. This was about 1000 years after the Great War of Creation. About five hundred years pass without major incident, at least until the discovery of another strange species. Unlike the ponies though, these beings were sitting in the throne room one day, their appearance as sudden as it was strange. Each of the ten were different, with the largest two introducing themselves as their king and queen. The male was named Havok and his wife was known as Pandomonium. They introduced their species as Draconiquis, entities of purest chaos, brought to this world by the magics that sepperated Heaven and Hell from the Material World. The chaos entities and the Alicorns could have lived happily enough, if a certain idiot had not attacked the king and queen within five minutes of seeing them."

"Who was the idiot?" Discord asked. "I want to meet him."

"You did," Fatewing said. "The idiot was the King of Alicorns, King Galactis. Celestia and Luna's father."

The response was unanimous. "WHAAAAT?!"

"Yeah," Fatewing chuckled. "The moron was still used to the war with the Dragons and just reacted. No harm was done, as Havok teleported out of the way, but it did start a war. The fighting lasted for centuries. Both species, the Draconiquis and the Alicorn were immortal. However, the respective subjects, the minotaurs and the ponies were not. After a horrible failure at assassination by yours truly, the Alicorns started to form a set of super weapons, called the Aspects of Greatness. A pony that personified each Aspect was in charge of creating them, their cutie marks acting as a guide. Unfortunately, nothing can be gained without sacrifice, and the price of the Aspects was the lives of the ponies that made them. Only one of the creators survived, for he was the only Alicorn that was involved. King Galactis and Queen Gaia decided that the survivor, me, would face King Havok and Queen Pandimonium in single combat, wielding these weapons. By then I had befriended the Draconiquis on a personal level. The only things that had kept the war going was the minotaurs' and the other creatures of chaos drive to annihilate the Alicorns. Neither Havok nor Pandimonium wanted to lose control of their subjects, for fear that they would be killed by them, like the rest of the ten had been. So they accepted the formal challenge, the price of defeat being death and the surrender of their forces. Before battle they had me adopt their then unborn son, and raise him." Fatewing looked at Discord pointedly. "He not only survived, he is sitting in this room now." Discord stood and bowed to everyone in the room. "I won, barely, and the forces of chaos were defeated. Before he had fallen though, Havok had warned me of a greater darkness to come. He warned me of the Demons, whom I had never faced. I was only about five hundred years old at the time and had not yet obtained my title as Knower of the Unknown yet. I took his warning, and Discord to Galactis, who had faced the ancient Demons before. I was granted custody of Discord, and was told to seek the old Knower. I had no idea where to look, and was told to find the accidental alicorn pony for advice. I found him, a brown earth pony that had inherited his Alicorn knight's powers over time, as well as an object with which to travel it. He took me to the castle that I would soon call my home, and talked with the Alicorn that guarded it. He told me the legend of the Demons, as well as the atrocity that had happened, when they had stolen one of us. He warned me that the Demons had aleady released him for destruction, for the sole purpose of undoing the Alicorns completely. The ponies were a symptom of this, the spark needed to allow an Alicorn to retain their true power removed somehow within the womb. Cutie marks were another, the Demons marking their enemies so as to estimate their strength. Shortly after those epiphanies, the old stallion died, passing his mantle to me. I rushed back to Galactis to warn him, only I was too late. Chaos had come and had razed the Capitol to the ground. Only he hadn't killed everypony. He had done something far worse. Chaos had once been the Alicorn of Peace and Harmony. He had been slowly, over the course of 1500 years, perverted into an abomination. The Demons had turned him into a weaker one of them. He was the Demon Alicorn of Dark Reflections. He had gained the power to take almost anypony's darkness within their hearts and bring it to this world in their own bodies. He did this with almost all of the citizens, Alicorn and pony alike, and had set that army upon their origins. Only six Alicorns had not had enough within them to create a copy. They were the Alicorns of Harmony, each one the fullest personification of the Elements of Harmony. They had unleashed their full power upon the ruins of the city, driving the copies out, but at the cost of their own lives. Their souls passed on, their power sealed within their favored jewelry, which now you all wear." The Bearers looked at their respective Elements, an expression of shock and awe on their faces. "I collected them as well as found Galactis and Gaia. They were the only ones left alive, their reason standing over them crying. The little fillies were Celestia and Luna. Gaia asked me to care for her daughters, as Galactis gave his girls a final smile and slept his final. I gave my affirmative, crying once more in what felt as many months. It had actually been about three hundred years. Time passes differently within my castle. I took Celestia, Luna and Discord back to the Castle of the Forgotten. I told them to stay there, I had something I had to do."

"What was it?" Flutershy asked, as Fatewing came to a stop.

"I had to find, and destroy Chaos. And find him I did. He was marching on the last settlement of ponies, his army blacking out the skies and the earth. I fought my way to the front, and found him waiting for me. We were still a full day from the town that would eventually be the same one from your Hearth Warming Eve story. I looked upon Chaos for the first time, rage and sudden fear hitting me like physical wounds. He resembled me in many ways, and I came to realize that I was his original form reborn. That filled me with fear. What filled me with such rage was who stood next to him, as well as what he had done." He smiled a sad little thing and allowed a tear to fall. "If I had been faster in getting to the castle and back to the Capitol, you three would of had a stepmother, helping me raise you. Chaos had taken my wife, brought forth her copy, and had killed the original himself. I learned this from him and I snapped. I remember what happened next very clearly. If what had happened was the most frightening show of rage you have seen, then know this. That was what remained after almost 9000 years of letting go. I waged full war on him and his forces, holding them where they were for almost five hundred years, Discord, Luna and Celestia did not age through this time, stuck in a stasis bubble zone for it. I stained the crystals on that hill red for all eternity with the full blood of that force. The last to fall before my rage, was the shadow of my wife. Finally, I faced Chaos. He was leery of me, and I was exhausted. We clashed, twin gods set to end the world. We fought one another for almost a month, when finally I gained the upper hoof. The Aspects of Greatness had connected with the Elements of Harmony, seeing their common enemy before them. Their power filled me and I released it. But Chaos was prepared. He countered the power enough that it didn't destroy him. Instead, it trapped him within the crystals of the hill, burying his essence and body under the blood of his army, miles below the surface of the earth. I then sank the whole crystal structure under the ground further. All but one. In her death throes, the shadow of my wife had returned to her light. I formed her body and soul into a crystal heart, and left it shining within the frozen wastes. I returned to the children that I had been given responsibility of. I raised them and then sent them on their own journey when they were ready. The rest is history." He came to an end. "Any questions?"

Twilight raised her hoof. "How old are you, Fatewing?"

Fatewing smiled. "I'm roughly 10500 years in age."

After that things got real quiet. Then Applejack asked the real question. "What does this have to do with us though? I mean, you already said the Elements of Harmony are useless against him, an' I doubt the Crystal Heart is anymore of a help. So what can we do?"

Fatewing gave another small smile. "Applejack, have you been able to look away from my earring throughout most of this conversation?" Applejack caught herself, finally realizing and shook her head, both to clear it and to answer. "Each of the Element Bearers are an anomaly made truth. For not only are you the true bearers of those Elements but are also destined to bear the Aspects of Greatness, at least all but one. I must send you, the Alicorns of Harmony reborn, upon a quest to claim the Aspects of Greatness for yourselves. I will also be sending Discord, Celestia and Luna on their own quest."

"Why can't you just give us the Aspects?" Rainbow Dash said, finally catching the fact that she was staring at his helmet again. "I mean it seems that they're already here."

"Indeed they are here," Fatewing replied. "In fact each of you have been staring at the one you're meant to wield since before Luna's incident. However, none of you are ready for them. They cannot be given, only earned."

"What do you mean earned?" Rarity asked, suspicious from his tale.

"Simple," he responded. "The sacrifice was your homes. Now each aspect will have a trial for you, to test if you are worthy. Succeed and they're all yours. Fail and you may die." He turned to the two immortals in the room. "I would like to talk to you two alone." His horn flashed silver, and they were gone.